• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Bad Trip Subthread] How to handle or prevent a bad trip

I find that the best way to handle a bad trip is to stay occupied with walking around, chill music that brings you back to good times when you heard it sober, and just analyzing the psych enviroment in all it's beauty and/or chaos. When the peak is over, I can reward myself by calming down and relaxing.

If I'm tripping inside somewhere, it always helps to go outside.

the best thing somebody can do is always try to remember they are on a drug and remain calm!

For me my worst trip (by far) was in many ways ultimately the most rewarding, after trying everything to get it back on track I just lost my temper and told "the trip" to let me have it and show me the worst things that it could....the horror that followed was quite beyond anything I could even imagine experiencing, audio hallucinations of screaming, images of the mutilated corpses of my family, deamons, racing heart, waves of intense anxiety etc however, somehow I found the inner strengh somewhere to stay facing the horror until my mind just exhausted itself and the trip righted itself into an amazing state of total calm...like the calm after a storm. While I would never want to repeat such an experience again I did benefit long term from discovering the potential of my own mental strength and resolve in the face of total terror. For those interested this was on a combo of two blotters and a hefty dose of dxm....avoid!

With other negative trips I have found a moderate amount of alcohol like a 24oz beer can chill me out and get me back into a good headspace....too much booze and I start to feel worse however. Sitters can actually, even with the best intentions make things worse on occasion....nothing like being told to just relax over and over to bring on anxiety at times. However an animal can be a great companion when things get difficult, i have a very mellow old dog which has got me through a couple of tense moments with his aura of lazy calmness.

Benzos are of course a last resort if things are getting out of control, but really I think it has been the bad trips which have taught me the most, I guess the harder they come the more I learn!

I recently had hawaiian baby woodrose seeds for the first time, took six. Had no nausea, everything seemed great, felt so mellow and happy. This continued for five hours, til I got home, I'd never been so physically exhausted in my life, I'm a coffee addict, hard black stuff so I get heart murmurs every so often, it got worse that night when my anxiety kicked in. I genuinely believed I was going to die. I couldn't sleep because my heart and mind were racing but I felt like passing out, scared I'd never wake up again I regularly pinched myself to stay awake. any time I closed my eyes I saw horrible and terrifying things. Eventually I must have passed out, I don't recall falling asleep. But let me tell you now...I've never been so relieved in my life the moment I woke up, knowing I lived. Does anyone know whether the combination of hbwr and lots and lots of black coffee can cause serious heart problems? Or was the paranoia all a part of my bad trip?? I want to take them again because the first half of the exp. Was great! I'm just unsure of how to avoid the bad half?? Plus I wish I had pen an paper to draw down the shit I saw, was insaaaane!

When I ate 420mg of Mescaline salt I had an intense trip into the universe. I realized that the universe was never created or destroyed, that it is just one giant chemistry experiement that will never end (energy cant be created or destroyed). I thought that the reason humans think it was created is because our consciousness is so used to things dying and being created, so we must assume that the universe had to be created.

although it wasn't necessarily a bad trip, it was really scary and like personal. ever sinece that night I can't believe in anything religious without thinking of that theory.

The closest instance that I had a "bad trip" is when I ate 2 hits of VERY strong LSD (250-300mcg each i assume). I was so fucked up adn things were moving so fast I didn't know what to do, and I felt like my head was about to explode. Thankfully I had a good friend who could talk me back to reality....almost ;)

This thread is fantastic, I'm planning on trying acid soon and it's good to be a little more prepared in case of a bad first trip. Fingers crossed that won't happen though.

My bad trip which happened to me on wednesday, was after taking an 1/8th of mushrooms (really potent ones too) i went to my friends, and our plans completely fell through, and for the next 2 hours i went through psychotic HELL, trying to cheer myself up, i'm also not a mushroom person :( i'm more an acid head, 1/8th of mushrooms is TOO much, while 20+ hits of acid for me is great, so ya, mainly bad trips for me, is thinking it's too much, or WHY? WHY? is the worst for me, if i have to wonder why, than it scares me, which is another reason i don't like mushrooms because it makes me stupid, while LSD makes me extremely intelligent and i don't have to ask WHY, i know why. And that scared me too on mushrooms.

For me, bad trips happen when people try to mindfuck me by prentending to have hostilities or trying to make me do things (such as walk like 20 blocks to get them cigarettes). I hate being dicked around with in general, and on acid or salvia, my bad trip experiences generally lead to a pissed-off, why can't they just leave me be state of mind.

I like loud music while on acid though, it's fun to see the soundwaves push everything all over the place. Too many people, though, will create a sensory overload for me.

How do you avoid a bad trip as best as possible?

Hello forum! :)

I tried Salvia the other night for the second time, and actually got a trip out of this time. It was hellishly terrifying, and although my mood definitely contributed (which wasn't sensible but in the rush to get some sort of wastedness I forgot mood can contribute), I wonder if there are other ways to avoid having a nasty experience. I'd quite like to explore psychedelics in greater depth, but I don't fancy cacking my pants in fear and paying for the pleasure, so if anyone has any tips or advice they could offer me, I would very much appreciate it :)

Salvia's notoriously 'difficult' for many people, myself included. Intense stuff.

Don't judge other psychedelics from those experiences. It gets better. ;)

Well now that you've been owned by the Goddess you know that it's not even worth trying to put up a fight, so you can just lay down and surrender to her awesome power. Next time you smoke it, just take a few minutes to meditate, breathe, and clear your head, and remind yourself that you really have no idea what reality is all about and Sally D is about to show you that fact.

Isn't it a bit of an exaggeration to call a salvia trip "what reality is all about"... hmmmmmm?

Well now that you've been owned by the Goddess you know that it's not even worth trying to put up a fight, so you can just lay down and surrender to her awesome power. Next time you smoke it, just take a few minutes to meditate, breathe, and clear your head, and remind yourself that you really have no idea what reality is all about and Sally D is about to show you that fact.

He's not saying Salvia "shows you WHAT reality is all about"

He's saying it shows you that it proves to you that "you have no idea what reality is all about."

HUGE difference.

I totally concur with SA that the most important aspect of Salvia is to PROVE to you that there are MANY radically divergent ways that a consciousness can construct and experience whatever the hell it really is that "reality" is.

...to show you that your experience is in fact a CONSTRUCTION, not necessarily the "truth."

...to show you that no matter what you feel "reality" is about, to not be totally locked into that belief, because it is just a belief, a faith, a model, a hypothesis, a cartoon, a constructed stage show that is manufactured by your brain... set up by DNA as a DNA-propagation tool, nothing more.

...to show you that what we "know" is of necessity only 0.0000000000001 % of what actually IS.

It teaches a lesson about the limits of your own knowledge, and it teaches HUMILITY towards the great grand divine wave of energy & being that is the universe, in which we are only very tiny motes.

And in general these facts are I feel the BEST things to try and keep in mind on ANY kind of trip, and so to be fluid and humble, and this is the best way to have a good trip... let go your grasp and all firm beliefs, except to respect other life and be humble and kind.

...to show you that your experience is in fact a CONSTRUCTION, not necessarily the "truth."

...to show you that no matter what you feel "reality" is about, to not be totally locked into that belief, because it is just a belief, a faith, a model, a hypothesis, a cartoon, a constructed stage show that is manufactured by your brain... set up by DNA as a DNA-propagation tool, nothing more.

...to show you that what we "know" is of necessity only 0.0000000000001 % of what actually IS.

It teaches a lesson about the limits of your own knowledge, and it teaches HUMILITY towards the great grand divine wave of energy & being that is the universe, in which we are only very tiny motes.

And in general these facts are I feel the BEST things to try and keep in mind on ANY kind of trip, and so to be fluid and humble, and this is the best way to have a good trip... let go your grasp and all firm beliefs, except to respect other life and be humble and kind.

I'll drink to that :)

Answering the OP's question, the best way to avoid a bad trip is to not trip at all. Granted, (to use erowid terminology) a difficult trip could teach you a lot, but could also be immensely painful. A downright bad trip just drains your energies flat out, leaving you feeling hollow and dead (not to mention the hour-long torture while tripping still goes on).

My point is, if you have suspicion to believe that you're going to have a bad trip, than you shouldn't do it. The trip is hugely affected by your mindset, and thinking you're going to trip bad will likely increase the chances of that happening 10x.

Same way you don't go on a roller coaster if you have a heart condition, you don't trip if you have a 'mind condition'. What you need to do is resolve those problems before you can go on experimenting with substances. First order of business should probably be treating all that anxiety I can tell you have (otherwise you wouldn't be starting threads like this in the first place). It's very legitimate to be concerned about yourself, but you need to realize what you're really up against here.

After you solve that, there are the obvious precautions you have to heed to, the cliché SSS (sitter, set, setting), plus making sure you're physically well and mentally sound. And don't forget to stick around, buddy.

for some reason, with DMT i instigate...

with salvia, i take 10-20 prior to, clear my mind, and yeah as said "SSS". please turn off cell phones, w/e to be undisturbed.
trying to restrain some one, or interrupt,,, that would most likely be unnecessary, or needed given the randomness of the experience, and length of time in.
((1st for me w/ brother, thought massive smiley face illuminated steam roller was going to turn me into smiley face, crawling backwards on knees with arms reached out in front of me, with a ghastly grin of astonishment, brother grabbed arms of chair, and wisely waited a minute or less???))

be in the most familiar controlled environment, with the same qualities in people, do all the things needed to feel most comfortable at any rate... but then again, how do you know the damn difference,, you dont unless you need to.

also,,, the best thing honestly is to- not worry maaaan.
but, that can be tricky.

i would not say do-not-do-it necessarily if worried, though. just as easily as it could be a freak-out, it could be sally watching you in the corner of your eye, peacefully.
then afterward, you will of MAYBE;-) conquered a fear and maybe gained more along the way.

i should add that, i dont think ill be partaking in salviaD, or any 'psychedelic' again.

well heheh, im sure DMT will come again in X-# of years, and just that thought is a lot to think about, knowing what thoughts are there already, and if not, i still do.
their should come a point with these things, where any enlightenment lasts longer in-between experiences, let them be thoughtful and touchingly profound thoughts to have.

using LSD, DMT etc. as a "drug",,, sounds very strange to me. it did from the start but i dont call myself this PiP for nothing, now;-) i abused myself thoroughly with the stuff.
it is a spirit food, or, a soul crusher, either way recouping and regrouping can be the most enlightening part, years after the actual dose...

one-1 solid stay in psychedelia seems needed for people to understand, life more clearly??? clearly i guess, because then it wouldnt be different, but a right of ones ability to perceive what are minds are partly actually capable of.