View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Bad trip still scares me years after

at567

Greenlighter
Hey guys, I wanted to talk a little bit about my experience with mushrooms that I feel left me a bit damaged.

Just wanted to see if you’ve had similar experiences. And generally just how mushrooms affect our brains and memory.

It was many years ago. I had no previous experience with drugs, only alcohol. Always said no when drugs were offered at parties and stuff. Never even tried a cigarette.. just not interested in that stuff.
But one day, for some reason when I had drunk a few beers. My judgement was a bit clouded and I thought, what could some small mushrooms do? It crossed my mind that these so called magic mushrooms literally even grow on fields just outside the door where I live and I eat chanterelle mushrooms all the time. Is there even a difference or what? They were pretty old and dried then boiled for a bit. We were many people sharing, so I suspect I didn't even eat that much. Just drank a little and ate a few.
Maybe I'll just feel a bit more drunk or something, I don’t know.

I just had no idea what they could do and for some reason I chose to eat some, thinking that I shouldn’t be the only person not taking them.

So with no previous experience and literally not knowing anything about them, also never having felt strong anxiety or panic attacks, I began to feel some effects.
My vision felt distorted and my hearing became clearer, felt like I could hear a branch crack miles away.
So already at this point I started feeling anxious and a little panicky.

So from the beginning I started to fight it sort of, I wanted it to end and I regretted taking them.

I started to feel like I could no longer feel time passing, and began thinking that I’m stuck forever. I checked my phone to see the time, put it down and waited what I was sure were at least 30 minutes. Took my phone up and, I don’t remember if it was the same time or if 1 minute had passed but it scared me to a point where I was now convinced that I was stuck forever in the trip.
Never felt that kind of panic and anxiety that just kept getting worse and worse and worse.

I just have a few clear memories, like trying to get some water, trying to pee, later trying to sleep etc.

But a feeling that stuck with me after this, it was that I was now scared of the feeling of deja vu.
About two years after the trip I started getting some anxiety and had trouble sleeping at night, and due to some fatigue and anxiety I was googling things about drugs, paranoia, schizophrenia, issues with falling asleep etc.
And I feel it just makes things worse but I couldn’t stop.
I just had the feeling that I was probably looping somehow during the trip and came to the realization over and over that I was stuck.

I think I got stuck in some thought loop where I was either hallucinating or had like past memories show up very vividly, and perhaps forgetting that I had taken anything and then ending up realizing out of the blue that I’m in the trip. Hit me like a sledgehammer in the face, that this isn’t the first time I’ve realized this and then I guess I forgot and did it again.
That's what it feels like, such an extreme feeling of panic, realization, deja vu, fear, I felt as if I was about to die immediately from stress.. It's hard to even describe.

I haven’t talked to my friends about the trip because even the thought of that scares me. But I’ve got some indications over the years that something similar to that might have happened to me.
I should talk to them though and ask what I did and how I acted.

I’ve had thoughts when the anxiety is at its worst where I think that what if I’ve gone mad? What if I’m still in the trip? And that’s like poring gasoline to the fire. So much anxiety, which the trip was just full of, meaning that now when I get anxiety I'm reminded even more and my mind starts racing and I think even more about the trip and have all sorts of scary thoughts.

I had a few smaller panic attacks over the years, most of them when being a bit too drunk. I’ll associate that feeling so much with the trip that I think again in those moments that I’m going mad and "what’s going on, am I still tripping??".

Then recently, this is over five years after the trip, I had this bad build up of anxiety and panic.
And as I again had trouble sleeping I was reading some stuff and came into the subject of ego death. I’d read about it before, but this time the panic that came as I read was extreme. I started shaking and my limbs were going pale.
It was like some of the memories felt like they became clearer or came back, as the panic increased I felt nauseous like I was going to faint. And in that moment it felt like it all became clear to me, this was it. This was the moment I’d feared. I will now faint or die and then realize I’m still tripping and go back to the trip that felt like a surreal nightmare.
I was 100% convinced with the extreme panic that I felt.

But then it started to fade and I slowly realized that it was a panic attack. And I was going back to normal again.

As I spent the whole trip fighting it with all I had, and wanted what felt like a nightmare to end, I guess I might have had an ego death? Not sure, does it sound like it could have been something like that?
I came out of it and only learned that I fear the feeling of deja vu because I had this distant memory of realizing that I’m stuck forever in a loop in the trip.

It’s not like I’ve been living with a constant fear for years though, the more paranoid thoughts only come with increased anxiety during some more anxious periods here and there. In between I can feel completely fine for longer times. But then something triggers me a little and I start thinking about it more and more.
I feel like it could be PTSD, and maybe getting flashbacks like it felt that I did during this most recent and biggest panic attack.

If I remember correctly, the year after the trip was completely normal. I didn't think about it much. It's more after that when I started getting a little anxiety that it just got worse and worse.
As long as I don't think about it and I'm busy with something I can feel 100% completely normal like before the trip, but when I sit by myself on a cold evening just browsing the internet the anxiety can start to worry me and the bad thoughts can take over. A sudden panic feeling in my chest can momentarily make my paranoid thoughts feel real.

So yeah I am affected still by this, and I wanted to just hear your thoughts and experiences.
How do the mushrooms affect the brain when it comes to memory? What about ego death, does it sound like I could have experienced that?
Do you have any tips to process this and live normally again?

Thanks in advance. :)

Time to decompress on the experience will help. Maybe a little cannabis. But bad trips happen depending on your intentions going into it. It’s just your mind sorting out what it can and should.

All I can advice you is to take comfort in the one universal agreement that philosophers had - "everything passes, everything changes".

I had my share of frightening experiences on mushrooms (LSD can take it to another level because of duration) but I always realised that fighting it will make it worse. You may be experiencing what you didn't want to see while tripping. You don't want to see it now either and that could be the issue.

This is more philosophical or even metaphysical issue that can be addressed only by you. I could go on and on with "possibly this, probably that", but it would not do you any service. You are the one perceiving your reality and now you obviously have some introspective work to do. :)

and I thought, what could some small mushrooms do? It crossed my mind that these so called magic mushrooms literally even grow on fields just outside the door where I live and I eat chanterelle mushrooms all the time
That part made me smile.
Yeah those small little mushrooms can do a fucking lot.
My mom's bf went looking for edible mushrooms this autumn in his forest,
and apparently brought home some dissociative & hallucinogenic mushroom that he thought would be some tasty gilled mushroom, forgot the name. Disclaimer: he had been doing this for 20 years, he's a pro.
Long story short he landed in the ER, and is still pretty damned spooked today. My mom told me he only spoke in highly nonsensical phrases, got catatonic after an hour or so. He took a big dose, his stomach had to be pumped.

Don't pick mushrooms outside. Just don't.
I know you might think they're tasty or psychedelic or whatnod, but just don't.
There's a lot of deadly mushrooms growing everywhere, and something like this happens more often than you think. You might not even realise that you're highly poisoned and dying cuz you're tripping balls from the poison. Not a pleasant death, I imagine

Psilocybin is a godsend. Amanitas I’m not sure on.

Hey guys, I wanted to talk a little bit about my experience with mushrooms that I feel left me a bit damaged.

Just wanted to see if you’ve had similar experiences. And generally just how mushrooms affect our brains and memory.

It was many years ago. I had no previous experience with drugs, only alcohol. Always said no when drugs were offered at parties and stuff. Never even tried a cigarette.. just not interested in that stuff.
But one day, for some reason when I had drunk a few beers. My judgement was a bit clouded and I thought, what could some small mushrooms do? It crossed my mind that these so called magic mushrooms literally even grow on fields just outside the door where I live and I eat chanterelle mushrooms all the time. Is there even a difference or what? They were pretty old and dried then boiled for a bit. We were many people sharing, so I suspect I didn't even eat that much. Just drank a little and ate a few.
Maybe I'll just feel a bit more drunk or something, I don’t know.

I just had no idea what they could do and for some reason I chose to eat some, thinking that I shouldn’t be the only person not taking them.

So with no previous experience and literally not knowing anything about them, also never having felt strong anxiety or panic attacks, I began to feel some effects.
My vision felt distorted and my hearing became clearer, felt like I could hear a branch crack miles away.
So already at this point I started feeling anxious and a little panicky.

So from the beginning I started to fight it sort of, I wanted it to end and I regretted taking them.

I started to feel like I could no longer feel time passing, and began thinking that I’m stuck forever. I checked my phone to see the time, put it down and waited what I was sure were at least 30 minutes. Took my phone up and, I don’t remember if it was the same time or if 1 minute had passed but it scared me to a point where I was now convinced that I was stuck forever in the trip.
Never felt that kind of panic and anxiety that just kept getting worse and worse and worse.

I just have a few clear memories, like trying to get some water, trying to pee, later trying to sleep etc.

But a feeling that stuck with me after this, it was that I was now scared of the feeling of deja vu.
About two years after the trip I started getting some anxiety and had trouble sleeping at night, and due to some fatigue and anxiety I was googling things about drugs, paranoia, schizophrenia, issues with falling asleep etc.
And I feel it just makes things worse but I couldn’t stop.
I just had the feeling that I was probably looping somehow during the trip and came to the realization over and over that I was stuck.

I think I got stuck in some thought loop where I was either hallucinating or had like past memories show up very vividly, and perhaps forgetting that I had taken anything and then ending up realizing out of the blue that I’m in the trip. Hit me like a sledgehammer in the face, that this isn’t the first time I’ve realized this and then I guess I forgot and did it again.
That's what it feels like, such an extreme feeling of panic, realization, deja vu, fear, I felt as if I was about to die immediately from stress.. It's hard to even describe.

I haven’t talked to my friends about the trip because even the thought of that scares me. But I’ve got some indications over the years that something similar to that might have happened to me.
I should talk to them though and ask what I did and how I acted.

I’ve had thoughts when the anxiety is at its worst where I think that what if I’ve gone mad? What if I’m still in the trip? And that’s like poring gasoline to the fire. So much anxiety, which the trip was just full of, meaning that now when I get anxiety I'm reminded even more and my mind starts racing and I think even more about the trip and have all sorts of scary thoughts.

I had a few smaller panic attacks over the years, most of them when being a bit too drunk. I’ll associate that feeling so much with the trip that I think again in those moments that I’m going mad and "what’s going on, am I still tripping??".

Then recently, this is over five years after the trip, I had this bad build up of anxiety and panic.
And as I again had trouble sleeping I was reading some stuff and came into the subject of ego death. I’d read about it before, but this time the panic that came as I read was extreme. I started shaking and my limbs were going pale.
It was like some of the memories felt like they became clearer or came back, as the panic increased I felt nauseous like I was going to faint. And in that moment it felt like it all became clear to me, this was it. This was the moment I’d feared. I will now faint or die and then realize I’m still tripping and go back to the trip that felt like a surreal nightmare.
I was 100% convinced with the extreme panic that I felt.

But then it started to fade and I slowly realized that it was a panic attack. And I was going back to normal again.

As I spent the whole trip fighting it with all I had, and wanted what felt like a nightmare to end, I guess I might have had an ego death? Not sure, does it sound like it could have been something like that?
I came out of it and only learned that I fear the feeling of deja vu because I had this distant memory of realizing that I’m stuck forever in a loop in the trip.

It’s not like I’ve been living with a constant fear for years though, the more paranoid thoughts only come with increased anxiety during some more anxious periods here and there. In between I can feel completely fine for longer times. But then something triggers me a little and I start thinking about it more and more.
I feel like it could be PTSD, and maybe getting flashbacks like it felt that I did during this most recent and biggest panic attack.

If I remember correctly, the year after the trip was completely normal. I didn't think about it much. It's more after that when I started getting a little anxiety that it just got worse and worse.
As long as I don't think about it and I'm busy with something I can feel 100% completely normal like before the trip, but when I sit by myself on a cold evening just browsing the internet the anxiety can start to worry me and the bad thoughts can take over. A sudden panic feeling in my chest can momentarily make my paranoid thoughts feel real.

So yeah I am affected still by this, and I wanted to just hear your thoughts and experiences.
How do the mushrooms affect the brain when it comes to memory? What about ego death, does it sound like I could have experienced that?
Do you have any tips to process this and live normally again?

Thanks in advance. :)

I highly doubt that the problems you are facing five years after this experience have anything to do with the mushrooms.

Although it's well known that psychedelics can exacerbate underlying anxieties and other mental health issues, the fact that it took two years before you started noticing any problems suggests to me that the two are unconnected.

From what you've written, your experience didn't sound particularly intense and you almost certainly did not experience 'ego death'.

I would suggest you seek medical help instead of blaming your issues on a slightly uncomfortable mushroom trip years ago.

Take care...

Psilocybin is a godsend. Amanitas I’m not sure on.
Honestly, I had a bunch of shitty trips on psilo mushrooms, and I only ever took a few. I'd say half my trips were bad, or started good and had a bad break. I also don't like the feeling of being poisoned. Never had that issue with Mescaline or LSD. They always felt much "lighter" to me, if that makes sense. Doesn't have this "walking through a jungle, got bit by a snake"-feeling.

Ive had nearly as many bad trips as bad days lol, and good ones as good days similarly.

I have discovered many a time, for me personally, aftet a bad trip, actually just tripping again can itself be the perfect remedy.

It's like kicking a football deep into some rough bushes.

You can leave the ball there, or just dive right in and kick it back out again.

Ive had nearly as many bad trips as bad days lol, and good ones as good days similarly.

I have discovered many a time, for me personally, aftet a bad trip, actually just tripping again can itself be the perfect remedy.

It's like kicking a football deep into some rough bushes.

You can leave the ball there, or just dive right in and kick it back out again.

There was a time when I would have agreed with you. But sometimes the ball goes so deep into the bushes that you have no choice but to leave it be...

There was a time when I would have agreed with you. But sometimes the ball goes so deep into the bushes that you have no choice but to leave it be...
I accept that. I just didn't elaborate to include that additional possiblity.

It will always depend on the person and situation.

Every reality can be so different in so many ways, yet we still as a race,,all seem to talk about reality as though it is a fixed, generalised thing, it stikes me now.

I just ended (so far today anyway), a 10 day LSD excursion.

I got lost deep in a maze of Mangrove, dosing ridiculously highly.

1st day was 1875 ug with no tolerance.

After 1130 ug Sunday night/ monday just gone, 1230 ug Monday night/tuesday, I felt pretty damn crazy yesterday morning.

I could see no easy way forward and everything was too much to be conscious of. Sights, sounds, thoughts etc.

But I tripped again yesterday. Just 250 ug 3 pm, 50 ug more 8 pm.

The initial 250 alone was as incredible, full, mystical and complete as any of the mega macro days.

Everything I need from LSD. Nothing lacking at all.

And that is after (including that 300 ug) 6530 ug in 10 days.

Am I not supposed to be unable to feel a single thing from acid by then? According to the "Bible" lol.

I keep saying, for whatever bizarre reason, LSD tolerance hardly touches me and I seem to be able to infinitely tap into the experience at any depth.

I have suggested there may be a consciousness factor, a sort of hack. Mind over matter virtually, with LSD and Psilocyn (what Psilocybinnconverts into invitro)etc, essentially just being triggers, keys.

On old English hippy folklore tale was of how if 3 people were together, and 2 of the, tripped on LSD, the 3rd person, who did not trip, also tripped equally.

Intricate group hallucinations are a real phenomena on certain psychedellics, especially group K holes on Ketamine.

Ive seen it, been there and it's so genuinely real, at the time and to discuss all finer points with the other participants afterwards for time immemorable.

So if those phenomenon are real, I suggest it may be possible to consciously hack typical LSD tolerance acquisition.

Has certainly been my own experience anyway.

Anyway, my 300 ug total yesterday was really wonderful. I was taking too much most days.

200 - 300 is ample really.

But before that, I was pretty bone shaken. I needed some therapy lol, just to get my head together.

None of my trips were bad, but waking next day in usual physical suffering, with flu on top, still tripping of course, feeling crazy and lost... was like the bad trip!

It did me far more good in mentally and emotionally grounding me, having that sensible dose majestic trip yesyerday, than it would have done to remain shell shocked, disturbed, unresting, and lost.

But I totally accept what you have put forward in addition @F.U.B.A.R. I have noted you left this one alone along time ago for the exact reas9ns you express, and I don't dispute you at all in knowing that is what you needed to yourself, personally, so thanks for adding that mate.

Damn. Im really tempted to trip AGAIN! Do I have a problem lol?

180 tabs October 2019 to Nozember 2020. I thought 19 tabs in 18 days was a lot in September, and it really felt like it at the time.

Then 6530 ug in 10 days. Nuts huh?

I accept that. I just didn't elaborate to include that additional possiblity.

It will always depend on the person and situation.

Every reality can be so different in so many ways, yet we still as a race,,all seem to talk about reality as though it is a fixed, generalised thing, it stikes me now.

I just ended (so far today anyway), a 10 day LSD excursion.

I got lost deep in a maze of Mangrove, dosing ridiculously highly.

1st day was 1875 ug with no tolerance.

After 1130 ug Sunday night/ monday just gone, 1230 ug Monday night/tuesday, I felt pretty damn crazy yesterday morning.

I could see no easy way forward and everything was too much to be conscious of. Sights, sounds, thoughts etc.

But I tripped again yesterday. Just 250 ug 3 pm, 50 ug more 8 pm.

The initial 250 alone was as incredible, full, mystical and complete as anynof the mega macro days.

Everything I need from LSD. Nothing lacking at all.

And that is after (including that 300 ug) 6530 ug in 10 days.

Am I not supposed to be unable to feel a single thing from acid by then? According to the "Bible" lol.

I keep saying, for whatever bizarre reason, LSD tolerance hardly touches me and I seem to be able to infinitely tap into the experience at any depth.

I have suggested there may be a consciousness factor, a sort of hack. Mind over matter virtually, with LSD and Psilocyn etc, essentially just being triggers, keys.

On old English hippy folklore tale was of how if 3 people were together, and 2 of the, tripped on LSD, the 3rd person, who did not trip, also tripped equally.

Intricate group hallucinations are a real phenomena on certain psychedellics, especially group K holes on Ketamine.

Ive seen it, been there and it's so genuinely real, at the time and to discuss all finer points with the other participants afterwards for time immemorable.

So if those phenomenon are real, I suggest it may be possible to consciously hack typical LSD tolerance acquisition.

Has certainly been my own experience anyway.

Anyway, my 300 ug total yesterday was really wonderful. I was taking too much most days.

200 - 300 is ample really.

But before that, I was pretty bone shaken. I needed some therapy lol, just to get my head together.

None of my trips were bad, but waking next day in usual physical suffering, with flu on top, still tripping of course, feeling crazy and lost... was like the bad trip!

It did me far more good in mentally and emotionally grounding me, having that sensible dose majestic trip yesyerday, than it would have done to remain shell shocked, disturbed, unresting, and lost.

But I totally accept what you have put forward in addition @F.U.B.A.R. I have noted you left this one alone along time ago for the exact reas9ns you express, and I don't dispute you at all in knowing that is what you needed to yourself, personally, so thanks for adding that mate.

Damn. Im really tempted to trip AGAIN! Do I have a problem lol?

180 tabs October 2019 to Nozember 2020. I thought 19 tabs in 18 days was a lot in September, and it really felt like it at the time.

Then 6530 ug in 10 days. Nuts huh?

You sir, are a fuckin legend!!

You're either one resilient motherfucker, or a total nutter... 😀

You sir, are a fuckin legend!!

You're either one resilient motherfucker, or a total nutter... 😀

Lol. Both! And I ain't ashamed of the latter either haha!

But I call myself a phenomenon, no arrogance, or boastfulness. This is just waht I do. I was a true bown hard core psychonaut made for exploration and safe landing.

And every little specicif detail I report is always dead accuracte and honest, for the record.

A 2 Ib bass will NEVER suddenly become a 2.5 Ib Bass in different companynor time.

Real as real or not at all, has always been my way.

If I am ever slightly uncertain about a particular detail, date or figure, I try to present it as such, or not at all.

Not all are so authentically honest about the actual size of the fish they catch lol!

Lol. Both! And I ain't ashamed of the latter either haha!

But I call myself a phenomenon, no arrogance, or boastfulness. This is just waht I do. I was a true bown hard core psychonaut made for exploration and safe landing.

And every little specicif detail I report is always dead accuracte and honest, for the record.

A 2 Ib bass will NEVER suddenly become a 2.5 Ib Bass in different companynor time.

Real as real or not at all, has always been my way.

If I am ever slightly uncertain about a particular detail, date or figure, I try to present it as such, or not at all.

Not all are so authentically honest about the actual,sizemof the fish they catch lol!

Er, yeh, guess you're still tripped off your face? 🤣

Er, yeh, guess you're still tripped off your face? 🤣
I think so. I must be right? But damn, only excessive post 6 week flu, post LSD mega fatigue/tiredness prevents me tripping again.

I even plugged about 15 tabs total. Absolutely incredible way to take LSD.

Easier on the Whole G.I. and respiratory symptoms some can struggle with,,plus faster, stonger and longer too.

So on that one..yep, I'm a proper nut lol! :)

I had the same thoughts after my first trip for 9 months on 3 tabs of lsd til i took lsd again. The best remedy to the situtaion is another trip where you understands its a drug and it wears off this will help you process all the unresolved things that were bought up during trip allowing for peace of mind.

I had the same thoughts after my first trip for 9 months on 3 tabs of lsd til i took lsd again. The best remedy to the situtaion is another trip where you understands its a drug and it wears off this will help you process all the unresolved things that were bought up during trip allowing for peace of mind.
Yeah, it really is a journey as we know. Where we can get into all sorts of tangles, scrapes, positions.

Just as people do innlife never taken psychedellics ever. Which is exactly where the Psychedellic mental health treatment and science comes in.

Understandably those who have had intense negative and enduring psychedelic experiences will naturally have a fear of tripping again.

But I think we can argue that in theory...ptsd etc, the sorts of emotional trauma and being stuck non psychedellic users are treated for with psychedellics...

Are similar in nature, in a traumatic sense, to imprints from bad trip experiences.

So confession- I DID dose again. 250 ug. 200 plugged again as that exact combo was so magical yesteday.

Before my shower half hour ago. I won't rule out swallowing the final 50 ug but highly doubt higher than that.

Still have a good 25 grams kava which goes lovely with acid at any stage, especially come up and peak.

It adds an MDMA like bliss, calm, extra euphoria feeling.

And vaped 4 big hits of weed before acid dropping after edibles prior, got me back up on previous acid.

Just so glad flu finally gone. Worst 6 week illnessnof my life. It's the reason I was having major panic always, depressed and tired as hell.

Ideally I would have waited for now to be takingn that deep journey.

But..I take nothing back.

Edit- TV which I was paying no attention to in the background just turned itself off lol as if it thought fuck it I'm not wanted here, it hardly ever does that but it does rarely on bizarre occasions.

Last edited: