• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Backyard Vegetable Gardening & Livestock Raising & Sustainable Living

everyone seems to have a fairly different gardens, cool.

Kul69 said:
It's 6 acres or so of cleared farm land and 34 acres of forest in one area and another 10 acres of farm land at a different site. This is a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm where people pay about $500 at the start of each season and they get fresh vegetables delivered every Tuesday and Friday.

That's awesome. I'm working on a CSA this summer.

bagochina said:
Damn fucking government has to fuck shit up though why cant we be allowed to have 4-6 personal plants. Dont get me started on mj cultivation as its a hobby I wish was legal, grrr.

:D

Ever thought of growing indoors, or guerilla? Where do you live?

Mehm said:
everyone seems to have a fairly different gardens, cool.

Yeah, seems everyone has such a neat, tidied up garden. Ours is just, overgrown, I love it when it looks like a green jungle.

^^I wish my garden was overgrown. Around here I pretty much fight off the desert with water and mulch :)

Ever thought of growing indoors, or guerilla? Where do you live?

Oh I have in the past for many years, I have over 15 yrs experience growing the plant of hemp. I live in Chicago indoors countless times, guerilla outdoor-op's for years on end. I now abide by the law and am not in the mind frame for having huge crops on hand, but one day the day will come when I will return to my beloved mary-jane. Caressing her shiney leaves and having my g/f deep throat a cola offshoot [cant handle the size of my main cola's] ;) while I watch her finger her self while sucking off my beauty of nature. Am I sick? lol ahhh where oh were did this thread go. :)

Skipped work today, was at the garden...

Leaves... Indian oregano, malabar spinach, and Thai basil
leafies.jpg

Bananas, some peanuts, some green beans
nutsetc.jpg

And I found a fresh chicken leg in the middle of the garden! I don't have chickens! Maybe the dog brought it in. It even had a litle rope tied around it. Euw.
adidas.jpg

The land where I built my new house already had several fruit trees on it. I've been told that most of them will take care of themselves but that I needed to spray my peach tree so it would'nt get worms. Does anyone know what i'm supposed to spray it with? Also,do I spray the whole tree fruit and all? or just like around it? I love peaches.=D

^^I would recomend you use an EM spay as opposed to conventional chemicals. Post back if you would like a further description :)

^Yeah, I don't have a clue what your talking about. Are you talking about enviromentaly safe chemicals? I'll use whatever does the job. I guess i'll ask the guy at Lowes what he recommends.

Just use vegetable oil with some soap and water and spray that on your trees, works wonders.

^^good idea.

EM is a bacterial innoculant that can promote growth and prevent disease and insect infestation. It is a mix of different (soil builiding) bacterias, not chemicals.

For foliar spray, mix activated EM with molases and water (1:1:500). Then let it sit in the shade for two weeks and spary the mixture on your trees. As I said above, this will promote growth and suppress insects in a healthy, organic way.

Planting Plants&Garden Jargon

well, its going to take me, and hopefully ocean, sometime to start gathering pic's, which clusters of would be good in a NSFW pull down - but, what'cha got growing( that is suitable for discussion ;-p ) ?

what plant(s) if any do you have a knack for? and could you give some of us pointers who may need them, i will with what i know....

this could be fun, i believe i remember it being done a couple of times, but it deserves another go. so what i have in mind is, as i said above lets share any tips, diagnostics, particular plant likes&dislikes, what grows well next to each other where, and when, in your experience or area?

so far inside right now i have a fuschia that i am going to clone out for the spring, a walking stick tree that is starting to root, as well as a large christmas cactus, she needs help but gave me a clone and flowers. also 13 rose cuttings i am cloning from old girls in the yard; im not clear yet on the variety as my land lord hasnt gotten back yet, but when he does he is bringing me a redish and orange rose bush and another french climber.!, a few are perfume roses, it looks like 2 or 3 are on their way out, the rest are doing well and i have potted 5, it has been 2+ weeks since they were cut. 2 were runners and i was able to salvage some roots, which established quickly. those 3 plants i am going to concentrate on, and i hope to start on a wind resistant hoophouse soon as weather permits. and then maybe get more rhododendrons going, we have like 30 on our property haha.

i make my soils using cococoir/sphagnum peat moss/pearlite/mushroom compost/worm castings/sea weed bat guano etc.

i dug up 1 rhodie that was growing along the ground getting beat by the wind and tall grass, there are a couple more in the same shape that i want to boost up, they are growing even now in the winter, in a great spot under an overhang, but in sh&t soil - all 3-3.5' tall.

she has a lot of sage rooting in jars, and much more, and i have a few morningglory seeds im trying to pop for the wifey.

out side is a whole other story,,, but i have just recently amended 5 heirloom tamato plants, and we have snapdragons, thyme, oregano, mint, rosemary, gayfeathers, rhododendrons, an incredible massive ancient rosehip, um, shelter(?) you could hide a car in there! 2 gooseberry bushes, which need amending, and a freaking massive glorious juicy grape vine, the stalk has a 6-7" circumference, it hangs grapes 20' feet up in a nearby tree. i forget the variety but they are delicious early ripening large blue grapes, with small almost unnoticeable seeds.

a 10-15 y/o old wisteria by our front porch that is tangling with a deep colored climbing rose that i havent seen flower, but im going to continue the neglected arbor training and fortify them with all the best.

one thing i have learned, and am going to do this summer is use clamshells as mulch around the tomatoes and other valuables like that to keep the slugs back... supposedly it works very well, and slightly and slowly lowers the soil ph, and adds calcium.

also, for cuttings make willow water; get a 32 oz jar, fill it partly with dried willow twigs and distilled, or even better rain water. let it set over night and the water will then have anti-fungal properties, to help fight mold in humid cloning conditions, after straining and spraying.

soon, pics, lots of before and afters folks, we will start adding ours soon.

:)

happy growing!

Last edited:
^Wow. I live with you and hear you ramble on about plants, spouting all kinds of info- but reading it got me excited for spring :) haha

Aussie's are in summer now, right?- any photos????

omg those grapes sound delicious!!

There is a thread about gardens in Healthy Living btw...(too lazy to get link)

We have harvested most of the food we had growing. We had some ginormous delicious daikon, carrots, beets, kale, and other lettuce varieties. We stil have Hawaiian Chili pepper that will be forever popping off. We're patiently waiting for our purple sweet potato, and poha berries (look and taste similar to small cherry tomatoes but there are super sweet and absolutely delicious!!!)

My husband works at a 17 acre organic farm so we actually get most of our produce from there. He brings home like 5-10 mangoes, avocadoes, bananas, tangerines, lemons, red and white sapote home almost everyday. They also have papaya but I'm not the biggest fan. We give them away or bake with them or whatever.

Our lease is up in 5 months, but we're trying to get out of it sooner so we're not looking to plant anything else right now.

At our friends house we have ducks, rabbits, and chickens that he houses then shares the meat with us =) Working very hard on getting a pig!

^Wow. I live with you and hear you ramble on about plants, spouting all kinds of info- but reading it got me excited for spring :) haha

Aussie's are in summer now, right?- any photos????

i was hoping for more info from you,,, deary.

;)

LoveAlways- That sounds fantastic!!
I'd really like to get chickens-
I have seen your photos in the thread in HL of your garden.......very pretty.
What is a daikon?
As far as purple sweet potatoes- I have never seen one, but do buy purple potatoes :)
If the veggie or fruit is odd, I like it:D For some reason Broccoflower tastes yummier than broccoli or cauliflower- and purple, or orange cauliflower tastes better than white:D

Pip- Um.....I have lots of random info stored in my little brain but at the moment can't think of anything- as the thread progresses I know I will have much more to add ;)

^
yeah, i was hoping the thread would last through out the seasons, with tips, tricks, and progress pics, and maybe longer for indoor growers, or people who are interested in doing so.

You guys are gonna hate me for this but we have a gorgeous perfectly set up vegie patch, that we don't use....... *runs and hides*!! =D

When we first moved in we were so excited about it though! We planted all these seedlings and most of them flourished:

• watermelon (we got a few melons off it too! That was awesome!)
  • strawberries (that never grew)
  • cucumber (this was my favourite, we got HEAPS of cucumbers off this one plant, all summer long, and they were so big and juicy and tasty! <3)
  • capsicum (didn't grow)
  • cherry tomatoes (these were beautiful and so so tasty as well)
  • mint (is still in its reign of terror over the vegie patch =D)
  • rosemary
  • thyme
  • basil

But after about a year I kinda lost interest and let it all overgrow....for shame!

I really want to get it all happening again though. It's really fun growing your own food.

In other parts of the yard we have a native garden out the back with a few different types of grevillea, some bottlebrush and a melaleuca tree (which I adore!). And out the front yard we have some really nice hedges of murraya which I really love. They are the foolproof hedging plant =D

We also have some star jasmine climbing the lattice out on the deck, which is going to be great in a few years but it's taking its sweet ass time getting going.

And that's about it.

As a gift for my birthday 2 years ago my Mum arranged for a landscape gardener to come and do a plan for us for our new house's yard, I still have the plans and will eventually get around to doing it all. That's where we came up with the native garden idea out the back. It was such a cool present and I learnt heaps of little tips from that lady!

One of my good friends is also a landscape gardener so whenever he comes over to visit we go out the back and he gives me all these tips and stuff. It's cool :)

your strawberries might need some shade and or extra humidity. i love cherry tomatoes, nice cool ones that burst with sweet acidity. we havent tried watermelons, people grow them around here, NW washington state, but that would be fun! and delicious, especially in yalls temps.

we have been discussing peppers, i want some hydro habaneros.

our yard will soon be surrounded with massive blackberry bushes, they are delicious, but a real annoience.

;)