• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Babysitting while high... Wrong?

i said in my post "none of that means i think OP was wrong in agreeing to babysit in the described scenario." i chose to address your comment because often people allow their efforts to find support of their opinion to cause them to make black and white comments about other complicated issues. i'm having trouble finding the words to explain what i mean and am in a rush, but along the lines of people saying "there's no choice in sexuality" to support gay rights. i'm not saying i do or don't think there is choice in sexuality, but i think people do not give proper consideration to the issue because being decided supports something else they believe. even though the two issue are not inexorably connected.

i see what you're saying ;) yeah it's just one aspect of a personal choice, sucks though that if one person says "i don't want babysitter stoned" it opens the doors to drug war propaganda / unsupported claims that the herb has x or y or z effect on a person's judgment. doing anything for the first time while stoned no doubt is a bad idea if for no other reason than because it's damned stressful!

I agree with the sentiment above that you've entered into a verbal agreement with your employer. I don't think "I am so high" is a confidence-inducing state when caring for children. But I also think it's weird that the parents would just leave the kid home alone if you couldn't take the babysitting gig. A lot can go wrong when watching children and if you need to think fast, the weed is not going to help. Respect your employers and, above all, respect the children for which you're responsible.

How ridiculous. If I found out someone was high while watching my niece, I'd punch them in the face. What are you thinking? You want to be irresponsible with a kid, have your own. Otherwise, leave other people's kids out of it. You're not in your right mind to handle an emergency.

word. and thanks for stepping up and creating an amicable conclusion.

this topic has been discussed before, but without invoking babysitting or kids.

*editing to be clear i'm not grabbing for the "last word" here, i was just intending to steer this topic in the direction the previous topic was going in, about whether or not pot impairs judgment, rather than about whether or not someone can handle babysitting high

Last edited:
i just meant an amicable conclusion between you and i.

the topic of children makes people hysterical and bloodthirsty. as a fan of fashion and portrait photography, i know this well. there was an article in a recent New Yorker about how child services can never make any progress because every time the media reports on a child abuse death they gut everything and completely start over because it prompts society to blindly demand reform and resignations.

lol, i was too late for a ninja edit. but yeah, it's difficult to say here whether the topic is babysitting or MJ's-effects-on-judgment, it's too easy to swing wide in either direction, there's the potential for bias at either extreme