• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Babysitting while high... Wrong?

talkin2myself

Bluelighter
Sometimes I work as a babysitter. I just got a call from a mother, that there's an emergency situation they need me tonight.

I'm smoked three joints I am so high. Do you think it will be okay to do the job? I like this kid so much, she likes to play games on XBOX and eat pizza, so she's very smoker-friendly. :D

But I'm still feeling it's kinda wrong to take care of a kid under the influence... But her parents has no one else, so other option is she spends the night alone.

What should I do? I have 2 hours to decide.

I would say go! You never mentioned her age so Feign illness and get her to go to bed early.

You know how high you are though - can you do it ?

Bear

Just go. You can play videogames with her, and perhaps watch a film? Plus it's around Christmas and you may need extra money to buy presents for family or friends?

Wrong IMO.
You might microwave the baby.
No but seriously, as much as potheads like to think it doesn't impair you, it does.
Potentially disastrous consequences well beyond losing a job if the parents suss out that you are under the influence.
Just on general principle I don't think this is right, anyway.
I knew a lot of people who were drug using parents and such, was never good for kids.
I know this is a different situation but just generally, feels morally icky to me.

It's 9 pm here, now she fell asleep. I'm sittin at the kitchen with my laptop writing this. :D Actually babysitting while you're high, is THE THING! I mean she told me everything about her life right now (school, parents etc.) and I was so opened, I might never be that open minded while sober. We even talked about her dad who left her when she was a baby (muthafucka, if I'll ever see you I'll fuck you up, and that's on my mother's name) I tried to explain why bad things are happening to us.

As far as I noticed I pay more attention when I'm high, compared to when I'm sober. Because I know I'm high, and I gotta pay more attention. I'd rather let the sky fall on us than this girlie to get hurt. It's all safe, she's not a "mini-maniac".

Now she's sleeping, and I'm drinking Monster energy like water, just in case she wakes up.

Thanks for your answers, all of you had some points to make this awesome decision. :)

I always thought that doing rounds of PCP and crack was a huge part of "the babysitters club" bookline, in fact I fondly remember a scene that Brooke (one of the babysitters) was making jello shots and the kid she was babysitting got into one with hilarious consequences....no just kidding. Honestly man, it depends on the drug...coming down from marijuana=okay, coming up or smoking while babysitting=no go....most other drugs are a no go.

i think babysitting while high is pretty irresponsible. i'm sure you had a positive, even fun. experience this time. but, if and when something terrible happens, just tell the kid's parents that you were high. i'm sure they'll understand...

i don't think people should drive high. i think taking care of a child while high is more serious.

$0.02

alasdair

no biggie in my book. sounds like a pleasant saturday night for all involved. you didn't have to drive her around to after school activities or anything like that. while smoking during or intentionally before would be irresponsible, you didn't know and watching a kid is not outside the realm of things people are capable of doing under the influence of marijuana.

but babysitting on drugs is well inside the realm of things society would villainize a person for. one of those low chance of getting caught but severe consequences if it happens things. wouldn't make a habit of that risk.

Last edited:
As far as I noticed I pay more attention when I'm high, compared to when I'm sober. Because I know I'm high, and I gotta pay more attention. I'd rather let the sky fall on us than this girlie to get hurt. It's all safe, she's not a "mini-maniac".

i think this is the sort of mentality that separates people who can act responsibly while high from people who get high as a means of further avoiding responsibility. better to overcompensate for being inebriated than to act like nothing can go wrong because you're inebriated.

i think this is the sort of mentality that separates people who can act responsibly while high from people who get high...
i disagree. i think it separates people who think they act more responsibly...

don't get me wrong, talkin2myself knows better than me (or anbody here) how he is when he's high. i get that.

there's an onion line that i absolutely love: "don't get drunk and drive. disregard this if you happen to be one of those people who drive better drunk."

there's, for me, a parallel.

alasdair

I used to think I drove better drunk...turns out I swerve. A quick work around I found, is drinking while driving. Sounds worse than it is. That way I can pre-game on the way to my destination with confidence. No swerving, all swagger.

Usually babysitting, I get high while the kids play in the pool. No problems so far. %)

i disagree. i think it separates people who think they act more responsibly...

don't get me wrong, talkin2myself knows better than me (or anbody here) how he is when he's high. i get that.

there's an onion line that i absolutely love: "don't get drunk and drive. disregard this if you happen to be one of those people who drive better drunk."

there's, for me, a parallel.

alasdair

how does someone who is cocksure enough to think they function better inebriated relate to someone who acknowledges that their inebriation poses a risk and acts more cautiously as a result?

Last edited:
I dunno....I think the parents would probably appreciate you not being high while watching their kid. Are they paying you? I think not being fucked up while doing the job is part of the verbal contract you entered.

Most likely nothing will happen. But it is that 2% chance that something out of your control happens that it will come out that you were high on the news....you will set marijuana reform back another 20 years. Do you want that on your conscience?

how does someone who is cocksure enough to think they function better inebriated relate to someone who acknowledges that their inebriation poses a risk and acts more cautiously as a result?
your choice of words is very interesting and shows bias.

my point is that some drunk drivers believe they drive better drunk. they don't. they just think they do.

well, i also believe that some stoners believe that they behave more cautiously high when, maybe, they don't. they just think they do (e.g. maybe they're actually paying less attention than they think, are less circumspect, prone to over-focus on mundane details, slower to react, etc.)

alasdair

your choice of words is very interesting and shows bias.

my point is that some drunk drivers believe they drive better drunk. they don't. they just think they do.

well, i also believe that some stoners believe that they behave more cautiously high when, maybe, they don't. they just think they do (e.g. maybe they're actually paying less attention than they think, are less circumspect, prone to over-focus on mundane details, slower to react, etc.)

alasdair

this
and it took me a DUI or two to figure this out because when I was young I was very stupid
(thank God nobody died)
and as far as pot goes, potheads don't realize that smoking copious amounts of pot tends to make them, well potheads
and potheads tend to share some infelicitous traits at least when viewed by non-potheads
especially when given responsibility (i.e. a 2 ton vehicle, the care of a minor)

further, to me this isn't about what the stoner babysitter thinks but it's about what the parents think.

i expect if talkin2myself asked the parents "hey, i'm often high on marijuana when i look after your kids. is that ok with you?" he'd get his answer. in fact, talkin2myself, why don't you just go ahead and ask them that? if so, what did they say? if not, why not?

alasdair

It's all about what the parents think.

There is nothing more annoying than other people telling you how to raise your kids.

I don't have any kids and I know that.

I'd take a stoned babysitter over one who comes back with the BF a couple months later and clears the house any day.