• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Avoiding dependence with Adderall/Dexadrine and Ritalin/Concerta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mycophile

Bluelighter
So I'm thinking of asking my doctor for an Adderall/Dexadrine script, and if he wont prescribe that than a Ritalin script (probably not Concerta as i think it might have more side effects) and I'm wondering the following questions, all of which are about both Adderall/Dexadrine and Ritalin, but really MOSTLY I want to know about Adderall:

How many days a week/doses per day etc does one need to take Adderall or Dexadrine to get physically dependent?

What about with Ritalin?

Can one, say, take 3-4 doses a day, 3-4 days a week of either Adderall or Ritalin and not become physically dependent? (obviously there may be some variation amongst people, but on average).

If you take either one of them like 3-4 times a week for 7 days in a row will you become physically dependent?

Does it depend on what your dosage is as far as building up dependency and if so, what are the same doses of each?

What happens if one does get dependent?

What are the WD symptoms? (I'm especially asking about Adderall/Dexadrine here even more here)

What is the protocall for breaking the dependence if one does get dependent?

Is it just a taper and if so, can you do that yourself without a doctor's supervision?

How long would the dependence usually last if you DO get dependent to them (especially Adderall)??

Like weeks or months or just days?

Also, what are the negative side effects of using too much of either?

Anxiety? Anything else?

And aren't stimulants like these generally less likely to cause dependency than something like opioids (even Kratom) or benzos?

Also, I've heard people say SSRIs "inhibit" Adderall and I take Lexapro.

Does that mean that Adderall doesn't work as well on SSRIs?

And do people think combining them is unsafe?

Cause I've combined Dexadrine with Lexapro and Prozac TONS of times and never noticed bad side effects, and I know plenty of people are prescribed both, but I've heard they can be bad together. Just cause of my experiences alone I don't think I'd be concerned, but I'll still ask anyway.

Also, is one of them (Adderall vs Ritalin) less physically addictiing and does one have fewer and less severe side effects than the other?

Thanks

Last edited:
I know this is a long post but if someone could respond soon I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

And since this is a long thread and I might get a response sooner if I just ask the one most important question I have, here it is:

How many days a week in a row of using (lets say 3 doses in a day) do you think it would take to become physically dependent on Adderall/Dexadrine at a medical dosage (on average despite people being somewhat different), and whats the most days a week you think the average person can use Adderall and avoid physical dependency?

Thanks

How many days a week/doses per day etc does one need to take Adderall or Dexadrine to get physically dependent?

I have not experienced physical dependence on adderall it is from my experience mostly if not entirely psychologically motivated.

While physical dependence and withdrawal occur with some drugs of abuse (opiates, ethanol), these phenomena are not useful in the diagnosis of addiction because they do not occur with other drugs of abuse (cocaine, amphetamine) and can occur with many drugs that are not abused (propranolol, clonidine).

Malenka RC, Nestler EJ, Hyman SE (2009). "Chapter 15: Reinforcement and Addictive Disorders". In Sydor A, Brown RY. Molecular Neuropharmacology: A Foundation for Clinical Neuroscience (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill Medical. p. 367.
What about with Ritalin?

As with other stimulants, the chronic use of methylphenidate can be considered moderately addictive with a high potential for abuse and is capable of causing psychological dependence among certain users.
Psychonaughtwiki
Can one, say, take 3-4 doses a day, 3-4 days a week of either Adderall or Ritalin and not become physically dependent? (obviously there may be some variation amongst people, but on average).

If you take either one of them like 3-4 times a week for 7 days in a row will you become physically dependent?

As previously referenced i dont believe from my use and what ive read adderall has physical dependence thats significant and is mostly psychological.

Does it depend on what your dosage is as far as building up dependency and if so, what are the same doses of each?
I would not exceed 5-60 mg of adderall. More specially for both adderall and methylphenidate i would stick to the doses the doctor gives you.

What happens if one does get dependent? Well im psychologically dependent so i crave it which would make it hard to stop.

What are the WD symptoms? (I'm especially asking about Adderall/Dexadrine here even more here) i went from 55 to 10 mg overnight nothing really happened just wanted adderall hense psychological

That depends on your morals and beliefs.

Is it just a taper and if so, can you do that yourself without a doctor's supervision? I would always taper with a doctor for any medication. Drugs effect people differently. Even for example a corticosteroid for a cold put me in a psychotic state. If you have the means having a doctor monitor when and how much things are going in and out of you is prefered.

How long would the dependence usually last if you DO get dependent to them (especially Adderall)??
Well since its psychological i guess forever. I mean many months later i was still pushing trying to get back on adderall.not because i was sick but because i remembered how i liked it.

Also, what are the negative side effects of using too much of either? Try drugs.com for professionals

Anxiety? Anything else?

And aren't stimulants like these generally less likely to cause dependency than something like opioids (even Kratom) or benzos?
Physical dependence yes. Psychological can be every bit as strong imo though.
Actually i believe most ssris inhibit cyp2d6 p450 therefore may most likely increase the potency and or duration and depending on the ssri potentially much higher then expected effects and side effects from adderall
Does that mean that Adderall doesn't work as well on SSRIs? Idk never noticed that

And do people think combining them is unsafe? Idk what they think but different ssris have different cyp2d6 inhibitions and depending on the dose of adderall and the person it could be safe or be fine

Cause I've combined Dexadrine with Lexapro and Prozac TONS of times and never noticed bad side effects, and I know plenty of people are prescribed both, but I've heard they can be bad together. Just cause of my experiences alone I don't think I'd be concerned, but I'll still ask anyway.

Any drug interaction is prob more noticable if they are say taking 100 mg of adderall because if prozac say doubles the effects now they are scared

Also, is one of them (Adderall vs Ritalin) less physically addictiing and does one have fewer and less severe side effects than the other?

Both have side effects you can check drugs.com for professionals for the probability of any side effect occuring and compare odds

Its hard to compare physical addictiveness for mostly psychologically addictive drugs

I cant edit on my phone but anyway id also take the prescribed dose seven days per week or having the doctor prescribe exactly enough pills so that you dont accumulate pills because binging on massive doses really makes that big mess of huge highs and huge lows needing strong sedatives to sleep dose escalation

I have not experienced physical dependence on adderall it is from my experience mostly if not entirely psychologically motivated.

While physical dependence and withdrawal occur with some drugs of abuse (opiates, ethanol), these phenomena are not useful in the diagnosis of addiction because they do not occur with other drugs of abuse (cocaine, amphetamine) and can occur with many drugs that are not abused (propranolol, clonidine).

Malenka RC, Nestler EJ, Hyman SE (2009). "Chapter 15: Reinforcement and Addictive Disorders". In Sydor A, Brown RY. Molecular Neuropharmacology: A Foundation for Clinical Neuroscience (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill Medical. p. 367.
What about with Ritalin?

As with other stimulants, the chronic use of methylphenidate can be considered moderately addictive with a high potential for abuse and is capable of causing psychological dependence among certain users.
Psychonaughtwiki

As previously referenced i dont believe from my use and what ive read adderall has physical dependence thats significant and is mostly psychological.

I would not exceed 5-60 mg of adderall. More specially for both adderall and methylphenidate i would stick to the doses the doctor gives you.

What happens if one does get dependent? Well im psychologically dependent so i crave it which would make it hard to stop.

What are the WD symptoms? (I'm especially asking about Adderall/Dexadrine here even more here) i went from 55 to 10 mg overnight nothing really happened just wanted adderall hense psychological

That depends on your morals and beliefs.

Is it just a taper and if so, can you do that yourself without a doctor's supervision? I would always taper with a doctor for any medication. Drugs effect people differently. Even for example a corticosteroid for a cold put me in a psychotic state. If you have the means having a doctor monitor when and how much things are going in and out of you is prefered.

Well since its psychological i guess forever. I mean many months later i was still pushing trying to get back on adderall.not because i was sick but because i remembered how i liked it.

Also, what are the negative side effects of using too much of either? Try drugs.com for professionals

Anxiety? Anything else?

Physical dependence yes. Psychological can be every bit as strong imo though.
Actually i believe most ssris inhibit cyp2d6 p450 therefore may most likely increase the potency and or duration and depending on the ssri potentially much higher then expected effects and side effects from adderall
Does that mean that Adderall doesn't work as well on SSRIs? Idk never noticed that

And do people think combining them is unsafe? Idk what they think but different ssris have different cyp2d6 inhibitions and depending on the dose of adderall and the person it could be safe or be fine

Any drug interaction is prob more noticable if they are say taking 100 mg of adderall because if prozac say doubles the effects now they are scared

Both have side effects you can check drugs.com for professionals for the probability of any side effect occuring and compare odds

Its hard to compare physical addictiveness for mostly psychologically addictive drugs

Thanks for the detailed response.

Well based on that I don't think it's a bad idea at all for me to see if I can get an Adderall script since my biggest concern is physical dependency rather than psychological dependency.

While I certainly do struggle with moderation with different substances, I am often able to stop myself from taking a certain drug IF I am not physically dependent.

Obviously it's hit or miss and I often do mess up and get in trouble with different substances, but having experienced Dexadrine before I very strongly believe I could restrain my usage, especially since my desire for asking it is not to use it to get high.

I'd say perhaps the bigger issue could be that since it seems so NOT physically addicting I'd have to tell myself not to use it too often because I don't think it would be psychologically or physically great to be on it all the time, but I am pretty sure I could do it anyway.

One last weird question:

Would you say that Adderall is more or less physically addicting than coffee?

I know almost anyone would go "oh, OF COURSE Adderall is more physically addicting the caffeine cause it's so much stronger and one molecule away from meth!!" but they are not the same class of drugs despite both being stimulants, as coffee is a Xanthine and Adderall an amphetamine.

Believe it or not, I actually want to use Adderall to break my caffeine dependency!!

I know people would say that's nuts but I've done it before and didn't become dependent on Dexadrine, but then I ran out of Dex and went back to drinking tons of coffee.

I know it's weird, but I actually have a problem with caffeine and have a hard time stopping myself from drinking massive amounts, and if I try to stop I get MASSIVE lethargy and depression that only stimulants like Dexadrine/Adderall or Ritalin/Conerta can stop.

I want to quit coffee cause it increases my anxiety, and I know I know, then Adderall might increase it too, but my goal would not be to use the Adderall very often.

Also, if I drink too much coffee on Dexadrine/Adderall, like if I drank 6-8 cups while on a medical dosage of Adderall, do you think I'd have a massive heart attack or stroke, or probably just get a bad racing heart and need to take my Klonopin to help?? (I have Klonopin handy, so I think that could help).

If so, I'd make sure not to drink too much caffeine on it, but in the past I've been able to stop myself, cause once I drank a certain amount of coffee on it I started feeling bad and stopped.

It might seem odd to some that Adderall could potentially be less physically addicting than caffeine, but if it's like you say, then I think it might be, cause TONS of people have a STRONG physical dependence to caffeine, and it sounds to me like you think Adderall doesn't cause that much physical dependence.

So basically, you just think it's bad cause of psychological dependence, which I get, but I'm not as worried about that.

So just those 2 questions:

1) In your opinion, is Adderall more physically addicting/easier to produce WD symptoms than coffee?

2) If I drank too much coffee on Adderall, would I be likely to have a heart attack or stroke?

Thanks

I cant edit on my phone but anyway id also take the prescribed dose seven days per week or having the doctor prescribe exactly enough pills so that you dont accumulate pills because binging on massive doses really makes that big mess of huge highs and huge lows needing strong sedatives to sleep dose escalation

What do you mean here?

Like if you take too much Adderall it gets hard to sleep?

Yeah, so I guess if you stick to the prescribed amount that's not so likely to happen though right?

And why, when I looked it up, does it say Adderall WD can be really bad and be like as much as 90 days of serious lethargy and/or insomnia and vomiting and all that stuff?

Is it just that that CAN happen if massively abused, but doesn't usually if taken as prescribed, or at least pretty close to how its prescribed use?

And one more thing:

There was ONE time I took too much over the course of a week, only once, and in only like 10 days I went from like half a pill (I don't know what milligram it was) working, to that not having much effect, and needing 3 times the amount, and I got a mixture of diahhrea and constipation when stopping, but beyond that, once I really stopped, it was over in like 24-48 hours or less even.

So basically, so that doesn't happen again, I just should never escalate dose beyond whatever the doctor prescribes right?

I mean I'm not worried of it happening again cause:

1) I used to have a LOT of access to it and used it many many times and only that one time did I let that happen

2) The actual WD was really over in 24 hours, in fact, I am not sure I had any at all, and really the odd constipation/diarrhea mix was WHILE I was on it.

But I still don't think that's cause for concern do you?

Cause the thing is, I had no idea what dosage was the proper medical dose and wasn't being careful, but if I'd known I would have.

Since I've used it probably 200 times, and only that one time did it happen, I think my track record is good enough not to be concerned, but I still wondered what you thought about it.

*DISCLAIMER* i drink 16 cups of coffee a day so take it with a grain of salt.

1) In your opinion, is Adderall more physically addicting/easier to produce WD symptoms than coffee?

Neither adderall or caffeine gives me much physical withdrawal.

Psychologically id say adderall because ot has the most profound influence on my mood.

Coffee makes me feel alert which reinforcing . But feeling my mood is better is alot more reinforcing

But i do what i find most reinforcing using both.

2) If I drank too much coffee on Adderall, would I be likely to have a heart attack or stroke?

Ask your doctor. People can have heart abnormalities i think they can do tests.

*DISCLAIMER* i drink 16 cups of coffee a day so take it with a grain of salt.

Neither adderall or caffeine gives me much physical withdrawal.

Psychologically id say adderall because ot has the most profound influence on my mood.

Coffee makes me feel alert which reinforcing . But feeling my mood is better is alot more reinforcing

But i do what i find most reinforcing using both.

Ask your doctor. People can have heart abnormalities i think they can do tests.

Damn, I drink like 8 cups a day but you double that!!

So basically, you don't know which is more likely to cause physical WD, ok, I'd just be careful then.

So 1) what did you mean by "sleep dose escalation"? That you raised your dose and couldn't sleep without sedatives? At what dose did that happen?

and 2) do you think the fact that out of like 200 times using Dex I once escalated dose and my tolerance went up fast and I had a mix of constipation and diarrhea on it, but then stopped and didn't have WD, is a sign I shouldn't use Adderall?

Like I personally don't think it is cause I used it tons of times and only once did that.

also 3) do you ever get nervous on it, especially with all that caffeine?

and 4) what dosage do you use again? and

5) would you suggest NOT snorting it and only taking it orally? Are there more negative side effects if you snort it? Cause if so I wouldn't and

6) what do you prefer, Adderall or Ritalin and why?

7) Finally, what, if any, are the big differences between Adderall and Dexadrine, cause I've taken the latter but never the former. Have you ever taken pure Dexadrine and if so, did you think they felt similar or not?

I'm gonna run out of questions soon I swear LOL.

And one VERY last question:

I know that Drugs.com says there can be negative interaction with Adderall and SSRIs but I've mixed them TONS of times with no negative effects so why do they say that?

Can you get Serotonin syndrome from it?

I mean I doubt it cause many people are prescribed them together.

How much stronger do you think my SSRIs might make Adderall percentage wise?

Like 50% stronger or less?

And have you ever combined SSRIs with Adderall and if so, did you notice a difference in intensity if you ever took Adderall off your SSRIs?

I am pretty damn sure I will have no more questions soon haha.

Those are really gonna be the last questions D1nach haha.

No rush, just when you get around to them.

Thanks for the patience and dealing with my ultra long posts with billions of questions LOL.

I cannot quote the entire thread but at the time of this reply, both of you are 7 posts apart from each other.

I assume that during each of your your solid 2,800 posts, you never checked out an amp thread.

No problem.

If you have the means of getting to a doctor and have decent insurance, the doctor can swab the inside of one of your cheeks and find out what medications are correct for you.

That would eliminate any guesswork and you would get the best matching medication.

Ritalin is basically synthetic cocaine. It has no legs, so most folks have to redose a few times a day.

If your concerned about addiction, that one probably isn't for you, simply based on how many times you have to redose. If you needed to take it, the extended release patches will lower dependency risks by elimination of redosng.

Adderall/mixed amphetamine salts and Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine are consdered to carry a moderate addiction liability. The same goes for Ritalin.

From personal experience, I would consider IR methylphenadate to have the higest risk of a combination physical and mental addiction due in part to the redosing and general relation to other drugs of abuse,

Adderall would be next on the list. It provides more motivational energy on top of focusing effects.

Not mentioned is Vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine. Offically listed as a prodrug for Dexedrine.
It has a moderate dependence liabilaty, but slim to none psychologically, IMO.

This one is your best bet overall, due to having one method of ingestion and a long duration of action. Although it is a prodrug of Dexedrine, it has a different feel to it. Otherwise, it is pretty similar to Dexedrine.

Last, Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine. Moderate dependence liability. Everyone is different, but I will rate this lower psychological addiction. It is a smooth medication. The extended release of any of the amphetamine drugs will last longer , but in my opinion, this one takes the cake. On the extended release dexedrine, I have commonly had theraputic effects last 10 - 12 hours.
The instant release version lasts 3-5 hours easily. As always, your milage may vary.

For the most part, it has a smooth come up and smooth comedown.

Not asked but important none the less is the understanding of the addiction potential and also the classic amphetamine crash.

Taking these drugs theraputically, eating food normally/maintaining proper nutrition including vitamins and minerals and if possible, taking the occasional break from usage on days that you do not need a special level of focus and taking medication as perscribed, will slow major tolerance to a crawl.

Addiction and tolerance rise very quickly by intentional misuse of medicaton. Examples include taking higher then perscribed dosages, malnutrition, lack of regular sleep will almost guarentee tolerance increasing, requiring higher dosages for the same effect.

For me, these drugs can remain effective with little change in tolrtance for a very long time.

I hope this sheds some light on the medication.

Alot of this is probably addressed by speed king but it exceeds my memory

So 1) what did you mean by "sleep dose escalation"? That you raised your dose and couldn't sleep without sedatives? At what dose did that happen?

1. A. I meant using strong sedatives to sleep and dose escalation i didnt use a comma. B. No but if you read around many people turn to sedatives because they cant sleep. C. Everyones different. But generally as you increase the dose and esp at anove theraputic doses it may be more common

and 2) do you think the fact that out of like 200 times using Dex I once escalated dose and my tolerance went up fast and I had a mix of constipation and diarrhea on it, but then stopped and didn't have WD, is a sign I shouldn't use Adderall?
2. Increasing dose increases risk of side effects. Not having physical withdrawl doesnt suprise me because it may be mostly psychologically addicting. Idl but It is a sign if you do take adderall you should stick to taking it as prescribed and not self upping your dose.

Like I personally don't think it is cause I used it tons of times and only once did that.

also 3) do you ever get nervous on it, especially with all that caffeine?
3. Maybe. Idk. I wouldnt recommend anyone consume more than 400 mg of caffeine a day.
and 4) what dosage do you use again? 4. 55 mg xr
and

5) would you suggest NOT snorting it and only taking it orally? Are there more negative side effects if you snort it? Cause if so I wouldn't and

5. Yes snorting it IMO is just not a good idea here. The goal should be not chasing instant gratification not only is it very bioavailable orally the goal should be focusing on using it as a medication as prescribed for long term benefits.

6) what do you prefer, Adderall or Ritalin and why?
6. I have only had ritalin once or a few times idk in highschool it was a low dose and dont remember much.
7) Finally, what, if any, are the big differences between Adderall and Dexadrine, cause I've taken the latter but never the former. Have you ever taken pure Dexadrine and if so, did you think they felt similar or not?
7. No i havent taken dexedrine. Adderall is 75% dextro 25 %levo amphetamine dexedrine is 100% dextro. Some claim dex has less side effects possibly due to the lack of levo. But i dont have side effects so i really could careless. IMO i dont want to bug my doctor since shes already so reasonable.

I know that Drugs.com says there can be negative interaction with Adderall and SSRIs but I've mixed them TONS of times with no negative effects so why do they say that?

Not everyone experiances the same side effects.

Can you get Serotonin syndrome from it?

According to drugs.com for professionals yes. Not everyone will but if it happens its serious.

I mean I doubt it cause many people are prescribed them together.

How much stronger do you think my SSRIs might make Adderall percentage wise?

You can use the ligand chart here or use google scholar for specific drugs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP2D6

Like 50% stronger or less? If its lexapro id guess it be a weak inhibitor

"Weak inhibitor being one that causes at least a 1.25-fold but less than 2-fold increase in the plasma AUC values, or 20-50% decrease in clearance.[18]" (wiki)

If your wondering, i do not know how to calculate AUC I went on wiki and the math was way above me

And have you ever combined SSRIs with Adderall and if so, did you notice a difference in intensity if you ever took Adderall off your SSRIs? I take a snri effexor. If there is a difference its small. I dont really remember how strong it was off effexor because ive been on it for years.

If you want an amphetamine-type drug with a low abuse liability, you might want to ask for lisdexamphetamine ("vyvanse").

It is basically D-amphetamine that is bound to lysine, which is cleaved off at a relatively slow rate by enzymes in your bloodstream. Even snorting or injecting it would barely make a difference, and because the comeup is so smooth and gradual it lacks the typical amphetamine-style "rush".

As for ritalin, I would say the abuse potential should be lower than that of amphetamine, as high doses of methylphenidate tend to be jittery rather than euphoric, especially if you have a certain degree of tolerance.
If you're using an extended release version (ex.: concerta, ritalin LA), you also don't have the problem of having to constantly redose.

Also, where are you getting the idea that concerta might have "more side effects"? Concerta is just D,L-methylphenidate HCl (i.e. the same as ritalin) in a fancy extended-release capsule.

Lastly, I doubt an SSRI is going to potentiate amphetamine to a significant degree. If it actually made amp 50% stronger, don't you think every amp user would be trying to score a lexapro script? If anything, people on SSRI's sometimes report decreased euphoria from recreational substances.

If you want an amphetamine-type drug with a low abuse liability, you might want to ask for lisdexamphetamine ("vyvanse").

It is basically D-amphetamine that is bound to lysine, which is cleaved off at a relatively slow rate by enzymes in your bloodstream. Even snorting or injecting it would barely make a difference, and because the comeup is so smooth and gradual it lacks the typical amphetamine-style "rush".

As for ritalin, I would say the abuse potential should be lower than that of amphetamine, as high doses of methylphenidate tend to be jittery rather than euphoric, especially if you have a certain degree of tolerance.
If you're using an extended release version (ex.: concerta, ritalin LA), you also don't have the problem of having to constantly redose.

Also, where are you getting the idea that concerta might have "more side effects"? Concerta is just D,L-methylphenidate HCl (i.e. the same as ritalin) in a fancy extended-release capsule.

Lastly, I doubt an SSRI is going to potentiate amphetamine to a significant degree. If it actually made amp 50% stronger, don't you think every amp user would be trying to score a lexapro script? If anything, people on SSRI's sometimes report decreased euphoria from recreational substances.

Quoted for Hodor. Nice follow up.

I will cover the last two posts here in no particular order.

Hodor, I will lightly argue about methylphenadate for a moment. Spliting hairs if you will.

in reference to IR ritalin. The fact that it doesn't last very long (multiple redoses) and the fact that it works to an extent when abused, I raise the potential for abuse above most amphetamine drugs that are currently perscribed. The amps simply have lower BA when abused with the nose.

You don't need a tranqulizer to take stimulants but they smooth out most rough edges of the stimulant and aid when the dose wears off.

For the most part, if you are taking as perscribed for the correct reasons, a low dose of a tranqulizer is all that is needed. I speak the smallest effective dosage.

Feel free anyone to UTFSE and find out more information.

I am prescribed a pharm equivalent to Ritalin IR but in 20mg tabs, it is Rubifen 20mg which are 20mg IR methylphenidate tablets in a package of 30 tablets. I take three daily, so 60mg daily of methylphenidate. Today I have taken the first tablet at 14:00 and too a 200mg capsule of l-theanine with an energy drink with caffeine, guarana and ginseng. For me Rubifen works for ADD, depression and intellectual tasks. In the past I snorted it abusing but since a time ago I only take it orally respecting the prescription of 60mg daily. I always use methylphenidate with caffeine and I like to smoke a cigar with each 20mg IR tab.

I cannot quote the entire thread but at the time of this reply, both of you are 7 posts apart from each other.

I assume that during each of your your solid 2,800 posts, you never checked out an amp thread.

No problem.

If you have the means of getting to a doctor and have decent insurance, the doctor can swab the inside of one of your cheeks and find out what medications are correct for you.

That would eliminate any guesswork and you would get the best matching medication.

Ritalin is basically synthetic cocaine. It has no legs, so most folks have to redose a few times a day.

If your concerned about addiction, that one probably isn't for you, simply based on how many times you have to redose. If you needed to take it, the extended release patches will lower dependency risks by elimination of redosng.

Adderall/mixed amphetamine salts and Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine are consdered to carry a moderate addiction liability. The same goes for Ritalin.

From personal experience, I would consider IR methylphenadate to have the higest risk of a combination physical and mental addiction due in part to the redosing and general relation to other drugs of abuse,

Adderall would be next on the list. It provides more motivational energy on top of focusing effects.

Not mentioned is Vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine. Offically listed as a prodrug for Dexedrine.
It has a moderate dependence liabilaty, but slim to none psychologically, IMO.

This one is your best bet overall, due to having one method of ingestion and a long duration of action. Although it is a prodrug of Dexedrine, it has a different feel to it. Otherwise, it is pretty similar to Dexedrine.

Last, Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine. Moderate dependence liability. Everyone is different, but I will rate this lower psychological addiction. It is a smooth medication. The extended release of any of the amphetamine drugs will last longer , but in my opinion, this one takes the cake. On the extended release dexedrine, I have commonly had theraputic effects last 10 - 12 hours.
The instant release version lasts 3-5 hours easily. As always, your milage may vary.

For the most part, it has a smooth come up and smooth comedown.

Thanks for all the detailed answers guys.

So I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow and I just have this feeling he'll probably prescribe me one of these, I mean I don't want to get my hopes up, but I bet he'd be willing to prescribe any of them. He's just a very open minded guy, so hopefully he will.

So I've never taken Vyvanese but my brother told me he likes it better than Adderall or Dex or Ritalin and recommends it first.

I've never tried Adderall or extended Dexadrine either.

So Speek King: I doubt you will be able to reply to this before I leave around 9:45 AM Eastern Standard Time for my appointment tomorrow, but if I do, were you saying your prefer extended release Dexadadrine over Vyvanese?

And if so, why exactly?

Also, is all Vyvanese extended release or does it come in both extended release and instant release formulations?

Cause I might like the possibility of sometimes having it only last like 4 hours and other times having extended release last 12. Like I do martial arts at night and I don't think it's safe to push your heart doing strenuous activity on a stimulant like this, so I could see myself wanting something that only lasts like 4-6 hours and would wear off before I train at night so as not to tax my heart.

And also, does the fact that Vyvanese is pro drug mean it would tax your liver to produce the drug?

Cause I heard Adrafanil does that cause of its pro drug effect and I drink and use other substances more than I should and I don't want to tax my liver much.

Sounds like Vyvanese is very interesting and I might opt for that, but again, due to my possibly wanting it to wear off earlier, I'd like the option of an instant release/or one that lasts like 4-6 hours and not 12.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.