Attn: Bluelight DJ's: Get your mixes ready! OFFICIAL bluelight mix off!!!

HydrA

Bluelighter
Yes we are running our own DJ contest right here, and you can enter...after witnessing a contest being run I am stating right now that this will be judged on the following criteria (being that I was just in a contest that was so vague in terms of this):

Mixing/Technical Ability behind your tables (did you notice that record going off beat and fix it before we could even tell? or did ya let it wreck!?)

if you can scratch, cool, but keep in mind you will be rated negatively if your scratching doesn't flow

Track Selection/Progression in your mix....does it flow? are your tracks going somewhere or did you just mix your 13 newest rekkids together...

Originality...does your mix sound like "just another boring GU", or is it fresh, and thought-provoking. were you daring and mixed some trip hop with your drum and bass? Did you play prog house for an hour and every track sounded alike? make your mix STAND OUT TO US!

it doesn't matter if you don't have "the newest shit"...just so long as its quality shit... I plan to make the judges, consist of the forum moderaters and YOU, the reader, will also receive the 5th vote in the final round....

You can use cd decks, final scratch, shit use your old belt driven gemini's for all i care, just produce a quality mix that was NOT made in acid or protools (yes, i will be able to tell)...

so...we can't POSSIBLY host this many mixes here on bluelight, for the first round, you need to get your mix HOSTED, which would be the easiest thing to do, OR get a copy (mp3, cd, whatever) to each of the music mods...Include also a Bio of yourself, a pic if possible, and whatever else you want the rest of bluelight to see in THIS thread if you want to be in the contest...you can post your info now if you want, just have it in this format so we can separate you from randomers posting in the thread:

DJ NAME:
STYLES YOU PLAY:
HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN MIXING:
BIO: (hey, go as long as you want with this....make yourself look good, EVERYONE needs to have a quality bio)
pic if ya got one!
add whatever else you deem necessary to us knowing more about you and your music!

If nothing else, I want the point of this contest to be that you get very good constructive criticism from all the music fans on the board, get some more fans of your style/mix, and get a little exposure maybe (ill see what I can do if you win in terms of a gig or something cool)

Ah this brings me to prizes...

While we have no specific prize as of yet, I promise ya something interesting...and your mix will be hosted either here on bluelight or somewhere else for you, and if you could the winner could do a victory set online or something cool like that :)

basically you will stand out as the most talented bluelight dj for the half year, i think a contest like this can be done once every 6 months and you can reign king for a while...and you can re-enter if we do this again, this is the trial contest right here folks...

Alright, so we're officially taking applicants...be sure to let us know in this thread where we can get a copy of your mix too, and if you cant host remember its your job to get us all copies! you CAN mail me a copy if you want!

open to ALL genres of electronica music...im not setting a closing date for mixes yet, we will decide that in the next week, but you aren't getting forever, probably something like 15 days...that should give you enough time to get a mix together if you haven't already...

the mods will be voting on narrowing down to the best 5 mixes, and then for the final vote, you, the reader, can choose your favorite mix/dj in a poll that will represent a 5th vote...

for the minute the judges are the mods of the forum, but I may need another judge so let me know here if you want to be one and what qualifies you to judge a mix cd...

get to work DJ's!

note: I am personally going to oversee/run this contest, and i PROMISE you unbiased judging...I am a lover of ALL forms of electronica music, and I can tell a quality, well thought out, original mix when I see it. I am not playing favorites...do not AIM me asking for my vote...all judges will not be flattered in any way...You prove yourself with your talent...no buttering us up!

if you are chosen as top 5, you will have to make another mix...and provide it within a short amount of time...because this will weed out someone who perhaps took a long time programming, mixing, and remixing their cd...

I'm looking forward to all the dj's in this forum entering and hearing your music!

~hydra (aim hydra927)

...now stop bothering me about when we're starting this contest...right now! :)

Last edited:
dj name: jozef
style: usually deep but play funky/tech house during peaktime sets on occasion
dj career: little over two years now
bio: live in a small backwards state (mississippi), and i am one of maybe three djs that play house in this state (everything here is dnb, hard house, fla breaks and progressive for the most part). I love bringin a new sound to the masses around here, and its starting to catch on. I usually tend to stay pretty deep on my sets, but i do like to play funky and sometimes tech house when the mood feels right. I record all my demos in one shot, no editing save boosting the volume a bit, i aslo don't believe in planning my sets, i pick out my intro, then play off the crowd.

i have multiple demos, but my newest one can be downloaded by right-clicking
HERE ,then hitting save as. This one starts very deep and ends kinda funky.

heres the tracklisting for it.

"Late Nite Groove":

01. Lil Louie Vega and Jay Sinister Sealee ft. Julie Mcknight - Diamond Life ( MAW's Diamond Mix) [distance]
02. Lance Desardi - Terribly Cosmo [siesta]
03. Supafunk - Last Dance (Erick Morillo's Classic Mix) [subliminal]
04. Blakkat and Tony Hewitt - Twilite [tango]
05. Miguel Migs - Dubpusher (dubselecta mix) [nrk]
06. Audio Bullys - Turned Away (Grant Nelson Vocal mix) [source]
07. Roy Davis jr - Loves light (roy and doc link's dub) [jamayka]
08. Majik J and Ian Pooley - Piha [honchos]
09. Stacy Kidd ft. Stephanie Hayes - Groovin' [DIY]
10. SFgrooves - Lift Your Soul [vinyl soul promo]

Dj Name: Cumuliss
Styles: Tech-House, Tribal Progressive
Years I've been playing: 3

Bio: After emerging into the small, yet devoted Grand Junction dance music scene 4 years ago, Cody(a.k.a. Cumuliss)has become one of the Grand Valley's hardest working dj/promotors. With the recent success of his Relief Wednesday's at Club Fusion, and rising popularity with many Denver notables such as Ty Tek, Schmid-e, and more! Cody looks to expose more and more people to his tracky, tribal, funked out brand of Tech-House and Progressive House.

The mix that I did for this contest was a nice, kicked back, early night mood setting mix. It has energy, but not obvious energy. It kicks off with two great vocal tracks, then, slowly and tribaly builds to a nice funky pace. I did this mix Live at my weekly. I planned only the intro, the rest was put together track by track, mix by mix, for everyone that came out to support my night that particular evening :)

The tracklisting is for me only...sorry8)

~C

do you know a guy named jef-c that has a night calle full tilt thursdays in denver? he went to school with ty tek i think

good job so far guys, i like what i see :) you dont need to include a tracklisting if you dont want to, in fact it really isn't necessary, we arent looking for big names or even tracks we've heard...in the contrary, id love to hear new things ive never heard! :) more! :)

BTW, Mystic... I *LOVE* that set!!! Man, slide me some Booking info on PM and I'll see what I can't do about getting you an early morning slot at a show on the East coast! :D

winner will also have a link to their mix and info at the TOP of this forum! w00t! i mean not even as a thread, i'll add a link to you right at the top!

I can see it now :)

"FilteredPHUNK- Tech This House and Shove it"

haha... I'm spinning at Transit tonight... I'm gonna level that fuckin room!

What about hip-hop mixes? I could probably throw a mix together with mostly hip-hop, but also whatever I could fit on there to make it sound good. Hosting it's gonna be a problem though, anyone know a place I could do it?

I wouldn't think that Hip-Hop would be much of a problem at all. I would love to listen to a good Hip-Hop mix myself... don't know about anyone else...

maybe I'll post one of my Hip-Hop mixes.

im all about some proper, non bling bling hip hop. i'd love to add a few good hip hop mixtapes to my collection

Yea, I'd love to judge this contest if I don't make it past the earlier rounds :)

But I'm not gonna water down my mixes so that I don't make it either...

I'll be recording my set tonight at the club... you guys will hear what I sound like when I bang it out live :)

DJ Name: Grok
Style: House, all types, jazzy, swing, latin, progressive, tribal, tech, deep
Years playing: 3.5 years
Bio: My passion for music began when I saw Pink floyd play in 1988 at age 11. Since then they have been a huge influence on all of the forms of music that I have listened to and played. I began playing guitar at age 16 and since then have also self taught myself harmonica, hand and tribal drums, and the art of DJing. I spin house and will incorporate many genres of house into my sets. From deep to jazzy to tech to tribal to progresive to latin then swing might be the flow of a 2-3 hour set. Although the scene in Flagstaff is small, it's true, and I have played for Off The Record at The Alley, Deep Down House at Joe's Place, and have organized several outdoor parties in the area. I have also been playing sets twice a weeks on OrbitalGroovesRadio.com, a Florida based online electronic radio station. My style of mixing involves lots of EQ work, long, well thought out mixes, 3 to 4 minutes quite often, and dramatic yet smooth genre transitions to keep things bouncing.

My AIM is donnermeyer and email is [email protected]. I can either snail mail my mix, called Waking Woven, or upload it via AIM. Let me know which would be more convenient.

Cheers,
Triple-Alpha
aka Grok

4 applicants so far!!! w00t! im hoping for at least 15-20 if not more!

Adam... I just got done spinning... get online and I'll send over a copy of the mix... it should be done encoding in about 2-3 more minutes :D

I fucking destroyed that crowd!!!

I started off slow, and I realized I wasn't moving hte crowd the way I wanted to... picked up the pace and had people literally jumping up and down with the mix!!!

WOW. Excellent show... reminds me why I'm a DJ :D

Hit me up!

Hey Roliepolie... my cable connection just stopped working during that download and I can't get it up and going. Doin this via dail-up. I still want to get that mix. I'll try to IM you once my cable modem is back on.

Cheers,
Tripla-Alpha
aka Grok

yea id love to get on this but im moving in 4 days and my computer is boxed up so i cant record a mix. if you arent judging them for a while then ill definately make a new mix for this.