• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol At what age did you realize you were an Alcoholic and at what age did you realize you lacked control?

For me it was different. I used to hate alcohol as a youngster - I much preferred drugs. Many of my mates did both, but they eventually graduated to full time alcoholics whereas I graduated to full time smack head. However, due to age and circumstances I finally had to turn my back on the junkie lifestyle. That was when I discovered booze at the ripe old age of 40. It filled the void left by smack. It was cheap and available 24/7.

I've been drinking heavily for over 10 years now - more heavily than I'm willing to admit - even to myself. But the strange thing is that when circumstances dictate, I can stop for days with relatively few side effects. This has never been possible with any of the other addictive drugs I've encountered throughout my life. In fact, when I stop drinking I just feel better and better, but something always drags me back. But slowly, I'm reducing with each cycle and hoping for the best...

Not when you're driving.. ;)
No. All is fair if you endanger yourself. You have no right or permission to endanger others.

Harm Reduction - get shit-faced at home on your sofa, not in public.

Also better as passing out on your sofa is a lot more comfy than. passing out on the sidewalk. Also, also - passing out at home means you can go in the kitchen when you wake and make BACON. You ain't getting bacon when waking up in a police cell.

Alcohol is a pain in the ass for me, think it always has been.

It’s like a little devil on your shoulder, telling you that it’s ok, you’ve cut back/had a break you can responsibly handle ‘a couple’ right?

I can leave the house with the best of intentions. I’m not drinking today, just nip to the supermarket for milk.
Next minute I’m in my car with milk and a bottle of vodka.
3 minutes after telling myself I don’t even want a drink today.

I’m 41, been drinking on and off since age 12 and I still wouldn’t say i believe I’m an alcoholic ALL of the time.
I usually only accept it when I’m hungover or feeling ashamed of my shitty behaviour.

The biggest problem with alcohol is knowing when to stop. For me this usually happens 1 drink after I know I've had enough :)