• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol At what age did you realize you were an Alcoholic and at what age did you realize you lacked control?

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
I've always had a love hate relationship with alcohol. But forever it's been odd, because unlike drugs, for the most part, stopping it is not an issue if presented with a reason why.

For years I've been powerless over heroin, cocaine, amphetamines, benzos, etc. But for some reason alcohol does not fit into this category of powerless.

Despite this, sometimes when I drink I lose control, and my addictive nature tells me how much I am drinking on that particular day, regardless of consequences or responsibilities.

But I finally think I realize I am an alcoholic just as I am a drug addict.

I am 26 years old, and alcohol has worked it's hooks into a daily way of life for me for the most part. Especially working construction and long 12 hour physical days, it's just normal to pour up after work.

I still know I could stop without withdrawals, but why is alcohol so devious? It's like I'm not addicted but I'm gonna drink anyways regardless - so technically I am addicted.

Thoughts?

I've always had a love hate relationship with alcohol. But forever it's been odd, because unlike drugs, for the most part, stopping it is not an issue if presented with a reason why.

For years I've been powerless over heroin, cocaine, amphetamines, benzos, etc. But for some reason alcohol does not fit into this category of powerless.

Despite this, sometimes when I drink I lose control, and my addictive nature tells me how much I am drinking on that particular day, regardless of consequences or responsibilities.

But I finally think I realize I am an alcoholic just as I am a drug addict.

I am 26 years old, and alcohol has worked it's hooks into a daily way of life for me for the most part. Especially working construction and long 12 hour physical days, it's just normal to pour up after work.

I still know I could stop without withdrawals, but why is alcohol so devious? It's like I'm not addicted but I'm gonna drink anyways regardless - so technically I am addicted.

Thoughts?
I'm kinda like you, i have a serio us problem with synthetic drugs, you name it opiates, crack, benzos,mdma,etc. But alcohol i can do it without getting addicted(at least physically i can get away with it). now that I'm off the opis, I've started to drink moderately( 2-3 times a week) AND I'm not the kind of person that can drink 1-2 beers or a glass o wine a day. I needa get drunk, this Is not a problem now but i can see it getting out of hand in the future. Also, it doesn't matter what i consume , everything that i indulge in, i abuse it till my receptors say no More. The drugs arent the problem, the i issue Is HOW I'm trying to cope with my problems numbing my mind. I'm too used to intoxicate myself whenever im confronting a problem/issue. Until i dont face reality like a" normal person" i Will keep repeating this type of self destructive behavior. We have to grow up Man. Eventually we Will, as of now we need to Start learninh how. It's about Time....

I no longer drink. It hit me when i got in real bad trouble.

I used to drink after work every day, and things progressively got worse.

My therapist already says i live in "Id world", which is a Freudian term. So my disinhibited self is really just looking out for my basic needs, which i will stop at nothing to meet, within reason.

Though i can chill, dance and sing to 90s music. I can be very animated.

i drank everyday from age 21-33. started at a liter of whiskey every 3 days for 2 years, then switched to beer. was at a six pack a day up until i tried kicking opiates with suboxone in 2015 and was totally miserable so i started drinking more and more.... by 2018 it was a 24 hour a day thing 365 days a year. spend 2 years at about 16-24+ beers daily and thats when the arrests started piling up... 4 in 2 years. the last one led to jail for a few months which was followed by 5 years of probation and six months of drug and alcohol counseling. i realized i was out of control at the first arrest, but was unable and unwilling to slow down. being able to drink at work was a factor. being able to walk there after i wrecked my truck while drinking and driving was a factor. halfway through my probation this month and whether or not they let me off early i will try my hardest to never let myself get that out of hand with booze again... done all kinds of drugs my whole life, was hooked on opiates for 15 years, but none ever caused me the amount of legal and personal problems that alcohol has. learned my lesson the hard way. that said, i don't crave booze, but there are some anxious and stressful times i think just one or two beers would be sooo perfect.

i realized i was an alcoholic at probably 20 ish. knew i loved it and for years it was acceptable to drink at work with the company's i worked with. since moving across the country things have changed big time for me and i no longer drink all day. it's mostly an evening thing. the amount that i drink is dependant on how many hours there is left in a day. but damn does a 6 pack go down easy after work. or any time for that matter. alcohol and tobacco are the 2 things i can't seem to shake. ahh well cheers to that!

You sound just like me. Alcohol has never "controlled" me, in comparison to hard drugs. But its still there and has been since I was a teenager.

Brother, you are an alcoholic. Welcome to the club.

I was around 26 too. It's all awareness and acceptance.

I still drink but I gotta keep that shit in line.

Im 30 and I dont drink every day. I used to. But dude its no way to be.

I could float a fucking battle ship on the liquor I've drank haha

I started drinking alcohol recreationally at 14 years old, I used it almost every day this way from 15 until a few months ago, I am 21 years old, the last binge drinks have only been on weekends, they were for going out and I always used something along with alcohol, weed always. I am addicted to benzos and opiates too. With alcohol I never had problems, except bad decisions, vandalism and being embarrassed at times because there are always benzos in my body (oh dear cocaine, it was always there to help me in this) I have not taken enough time, i take every day from 15 until 18 years, after that, I started to control the use of alcohol, at that time the opiates relaxed me enough in low doses to use as a social drug so bye alcohol, I still enjoy a few beers a month

I knew I was alcoholic at age 16-17, and even remember people telling me “Na that’s not possible your too young..”. When I would try to stop I’d get withdrawals and anxiety so bad I could barely talk.

For years as a teen I drank daily. Where I grew up alcohol is very accepted and wasn’t hard to get. A lot of days I’d come home after school and toss my dad of bowl of weed to run down to liquor store to grab me a half pint or pint.

As I got older I’d just get a liter or 1.75 and carry it around in my car. Soon as school was up I was chugging on that bottle as I drove home.

Thank god I always had a major natural tolerance and bar one time have never blacked out completely even after drinking an entire 1.75L. Otherwise I’d probably be dead by now.

Around 17 or so I started to use opiates and before long I had completely switched addictions. Alcohol and cocaine was fun, but heroin felt like it filled a hole I’d been trying to fill my whole life. It was energy when I needed energy, sleep when I needed sleep, marathon sex sessions, no anxiety, and in the beginning ZERO hangover! But we all know how that story ends too...

These days I can drink no problem, usually only 6-12 times a year probably. Sometimes more sometimes less. Besides my own moonshine one time I haven’t drank but once in 2020. It just doesn’t appeal to me anymore.

-GC

I think that "alcoholic" is a pretty poorly defined term at least as it's used in broader society.

Is my mother an alcoholic because she needs her (rather large) glass of red wine every night to unwind? I don't know if you can answer that so easily. She still handles her responsibilities just fine so some (most of our society) would say it's fine. I would probably say she needs to find a hobby but then again who am I to tell her what's best.

I struggle with using alcohol too. It has never "controlled" me but I still use it not infrequently even against my better judgement.

I guess we just have to recognize that it's something to be conscious of and remain aware of how and why we use it, just like any substance. I don't feel as if one has to be labelled an "alcoholic" by themselves or others in order to recognize that their drinking is a problem. That said, if the term helps you to better sum up your thoughts and feelings, by all means use it brotha

I realized I had an issue with EtOH when I was also 26. 26 seems to be the age when many people actually reach cognitive adulthood. These days I drink no more than 6 beers at a time, about 3-4 times a year. Maybe once a year I'll drink more heavily. But it is generally not worth it due to the hangover.

I used to drink quite heavily from age 14 until I got diagnosed as adult ADHD in my 40s and put on dexamfetamine. I've hardly had a drink since then - it kind of repulses me now. I might have just one to be sociable at dinner or a party.

For years I'd been written off as an alcoholic but the underlying problem was something different - a mental illness / learning disability. Once that was fixed alcohol became so uninteresting to me I can hardly believe the way I used to drink (often to blackout).

The obvious answer is availability, but that's not the whole picture.

I'll get my drugs delivered today. And my conclusion is Alcohol goes good with other drugs. Mostly stimulant's although some just get into Ethanol by it self. Don't get that myself, I hate Alcohol by itself.

A lot of us are residing to it just because of availability

Everytime I quit the Intravenous ROA i become an alcoholic.

I realized I had an issue with EtOH when I was also 26. 26 seems to be the age when many people actually reach cognitive adulthood. These days I drink no more than 6 beers at a time, about 3-4 times a year. Maybe once a year I'll drink more heavily. But it is generally not worth it due to the hangover.
I agree man, I'm 25 turning 26 in August and hell it's been a rocky road to finally reach a stable emotional/mental balance.

I would say around 21, came in to AA at 23, and been there ever since 1983, just not always Sober, but acceptance of : We are Powerless over Alcohol - And our lives have become Unmanageable!! So I have No Power, and to admit that gives Me Power to live a good and Sober life.
i have started my steps again with sponsor, step one today again ( 5th time Lol LOl ), not do to alcohol, but vicodine , all same shit really { Alcohol is a DRUG} boy was that an eye opener in NA
All is well ICE

Alcohol was my biggest problem of anything I used from 14 til about 25, then drugs overpowered the alcohol as my DOC. The first I remember having the conversation about me being an alcoholic with someone else was about 17, but I remember calling myself one earlier then that. I dialed the number of a rehab when I was 19, but backed out. Didn't get an answer or returned call and thought "phew good thing I got out of that one" sort of thing.

I was already experience withdrawal symptoms at 19 in a way that made me feel very fucked up, very sick. I could not control my drinking anymore whatsoever and I was near daily, heavy heavy drinking til I was drunk all the time.

That was the age I first experienced total down and out, fucking everything up (when I DID care this wasn't my high school BS). I started reading into addictions and alcoholism in particular, joining forums, researching treatments. I was getting into conflicts and quasi-intervention scenarios with my family, friends, and my employers over my drinking alone.. I was completely out of control. I was the bottles bitch and so much shit happened.

That went on til I was about 25 like I said. Then heroin became my DOC, cut out the opiates and now I'm living a deathwish with meth. I always messed around with drugs too, and I still drink sometimes, heavily and addictively for periods too. My main DOC has just changed. My addictions have overall gotten worse over the years. I'm 29 and I wonder how much I've got left in me sometimes, honestly I'm pretty messed up.

In and out of rehab, hospitals, psych wards, homeless multiple times and always feeling transient. Moved 33 times in 29 years, the majority of it since my middle teens bouncing around and especially my 20s going on.

I've been sober and working nightshift overtime in a technical job while I aced my college courses in the morning, high 90s top of class, saving money, didn't even smoke cigarettes.

I've been addicted and functional, somewhat, working in what I consider now to be my career (CNC Machining) and making a solid income, coming up in the world in my own way despite everything else.

I've been sober and so miserable and mentally ill I could barely step out for a smoke from the fear of the world.

I've been a down and out street level junkie staying at a dealers, going crazy, no income no idea where the hell to go, being told I should prostitute my body to pay my way. I couldn't do that, I had just recently DONE that.. twice and I felt like I'd sold my soul.

I've been using and happy, functional or dysfunctional. I've been able to live with myself despite my problems. I've felt secure.

I've felt so insecure and unhappy, utterly depraved and lost I intentionally overdosed and very, very nearly succeeded in my suicide. Paramedics found me in the nick of time.

I've been through a whole spectrum of phases, feelings, thought processes, attitudes, experiences, actions, whatever. I'm fucked and yet I just might be OK all at once if I can get a grip. I'm in the harm reduction camp now, I'm fed up, and I'm moving on one way or another. My 30s will not be a repeat of my 20s, thats what I'm trying to promise myself. This has to improve.

I'm a chronic relapsing polysubstance abuser, dependant on the shit, and this all boils down to when I became an alcoholic. That was the start of the real trouble I've been going through for years. It's a dark, dark road. Alcohol fucked me up, and it'll fuck you too if you're anything like me at all. It's one of the hardest drugs there is, it's not fun when you're abusing it whatsoever, it's sickening so much so it's the only substance (aside from benzoes which have same action in brain) that'll actually kill you from withdrawal alone. That represents how fucked up it is perfectly, it's killer shit and you won't even remember how it all came to be. You'll be alone, no one can handle a sloppy fuck, and dead drunk alcoholics are sloppy. The worst.

I immensely prefer my current meth addiction over when I was an alcoholic, and I'm not saying meth isn't devastating and life ruining in itself. But it's got nothing on the sheer reckless blackout depravity, the sickness I feel when I'm drinking hard. I've heard voices and thought of the devil on meth, with alcohol I've SEEN the devil in delerium tremens withdrawal, many many times.

As I typed this I thought of having a drink. Ha ha.

I was 20.
I knew I drank way more than was normal, even for people my age (up to three bottles of wine steadily throughout the day and a litre of rum every evening/night) but didn't know too much about it (alcoholism) and never really thought about it as there were no negative consequences.
Three times in two weeks I got really sick and noticed when I drank I'd feel better but I thought I just had some virus I couldn't shake off and I just felt better after alcohol because I was pissed and didn't care about being ill and didn't notice anymore.
Then one day I slept at a friends house (us all drinking heavily that night). I woke up in the morning sick again (nausea, anxiety, trembling, diarrhoea) and since there was no alcohol as normal people don't drink in the morning I just got worse and worse and it just suddenly hit me that I was addicted to alcohol. I was shaking like crazy by 11am and called my dad to come get me. I rapidly drank a half dozen shots of vodka in my room as soon as I was home and within minutes, every symptom was gone and I felt perfectly okay again. That was when I realised I was now physically dependant on alcohol and realised that this recurring illness I'd been experiencing was withdrawal.
To my credit, I saw my doctor and asked for help the next day.

"At what age did you realize you were an Alcoholic" - about 48 months ago

"at what age did you realize you lacked control" - about 47.5 months ago

What did I do about? Kept drinking to forget I was an alcoholic. Besides which I enjoy having a few without getting shit-faced drunk. Last time I was shit-faced drunk was NYE 2015 going into 2016.

What's the point in living your life if you're not enjoying it?