Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Asian Gangster Movies

Not exactly what I had in mind... I hear it's funny though, i'll definitly rent it. Isn't one of the main characters some gay tailor or something ? Whatever. I had to change the language to japanese and the subtitles to english for fulltime killer to be good, I JUST CAN'T FUCKING STAND DUBS!

Any subtitled recommendations would be damn skibby.

onetwothreefour said:
^^^ well, yeah, its style. i loved how it was put together. but apart from that, it was pretty psychologically intense too, which i enjoyed. not to mention the fight scenes :)

but didn't you think that without the slick special effects the movie would have been just shit? i read where someone likened it to a B-movie in the guise of an A-movie. and since you mentioned the fight scenes i thought i would show this excerpt:

The fact that "Oldboy" is embraced by some cinephiles is symptomatic of a bankrupt, reductive postmodernism: one that promotes a spurious aesthetic relativism (it's all good) and finds its crudest expression in the hermetically sealed world of fan boys. (At this point, it's perhaps worth pointing out that the head of the jury at Cannes last year was none other than Quentin Tarantino.) In this world, aesthetic and moral judgments - much less philosophical and political inquiries - are rejected in favor of a vague taxonomy of cool that principally involves ever more florid spectacles of violence. As in, "Wow, he's hammering those dudes with a knife stuck in his back - cool!" Or, "He's about to drop that guy and his dog from the roof - way cool!" Kiss-kiss, bang-bang, yawn-yawn. We are a long way from Pasolini and Peckinpah.

^^^ that's a fantstic uqote, and i will get back to this when i'm sober,. but for the moment,,,, i honestly think style is underrated. these are films: it's a visual medium, and thus i think it's jsut as important to poayu attnetion to the aesthetics as it is to the story/plot/characterisation etc.

old boy would be a very mediocre novel. but it's NOT a novel...it's afilm :)

i'll be back!

yeah, and i'm not saying you're wrong for liking the movie- it's not as if it's the most awful movie i've seen or anything...and i see where you're coming from regarding movies as a visual art form...but

anyone with enough money can make something look good. it's too easy. we are constantly inundated with things that look good- commercials, the new star wars movies- but they don't say anything. they're representative of the banality of mainstream studio products. Oldboy, to me, does the same thing (which is, ultimately, nothing)- but is 'hipper'.

Shouldn't we demand more of what we watch? If all you watched were crappy movies that show on the giant cineplexes all across the Midwest, I could understand. But if you are familiar with, and have access to, better movies- then I think we are doing ourselves a disservice by saying, "Wow, that car crash was cool." I mean we could just watch some shitty Vin Diesel movie or something.

I'm not going to lie and say that I don't like to watch attractive people in movies that are all-around visually appealing- but there are so many quality movies (past and present); why spend time watching something that is only half-good?

Last edited:
Let's not derail this thread now y'all, though I do agree that it's a more visual art, especially the action-heavy gangster movies. If you want intense plot, rent a japanese drama like Summer, Winter and Autumn. Whatever it's called. Here's some movies I added to my list, most of them are forign.

Bangkok Dangerous
Blood And Bones (Chi to hone)The Killer
chingu
Yakuza Demon
Young and Dangerous Part 1 & 2
Young Gangsters 2499 (2499 antapan krong muang)
My Wife is a Gangster
Hard Boiled
Infernal Affairs
Big Trouble in Little China
Ichi the Killer

More suggestions ?

^

i know you're trying to help, but it's 'spring, summer, fall, winter... and spring'.

and it's korean.

Young Yakuza is a documentary worth checking out if you're into asian mafia

were there gangstas in the classic jackie chan police story and project a films?

My Wife is a Gangster

just thinking of this gave me chills. not that it's brilliant, i just recount enjoying it quite a lot.