Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Total voters

shannabanana

Bluelighter
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040920/tv_nm/leisure_emmys_arrested_dc_2

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Critically acclaimed but low-rated "Arrested Development" won the Emmy Award on Sunday for best television comedy in a surprise victory over sentimental favorite "Sex and the City."

The Fox TV comedy about the son of a jailed businessman who must keep his eccentric family together was one of the best reviewed shows this past season but failed to draw large audiences. It will look to the Emmy to draw new viewers.

HBO's "Sex and the City," about the lives of four women living in New York City, had been favored because it ended this past season. The shows competed for U.S. TV's top award against CBS comedy "Everybody Loves Raymond," another HBO show "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and NBC's "Will & Grace."

Does anybody but me watch this? I love this show. It is my favourite sitcom currently on air.

Anyone know any never-nudes? :D My favourite episode: "There's always money in the banana stand".

I've only a seen a couple episodes when it first started, but I thought it was great. Anything with David Cross in it is bound to be good.

i love this show, and i really thought it was going to end up cancelled, because i think i'm the only person i know that actually watches it.

i was happy as a clam it won the emmy because i think it was doomed without it.

Awesome show. It's pretty sad though that most of America would rather watch crappy reality tv than a quality show like this.

something about it reminds me of other cool fox shows from way back that got cancelled, like Parker Luis Can't Lose and Herman's Head.

How bout' I was shocked that I didn't even here about this show until the emmys' the other night.. got to get caught up..

The characters in this show are hysterical.

I dont know anyone other than my cousin (who told me about it) and myself that watch this show. Even I dont watch it all the time. I seem to miss it quite a bit.

Its nice to see it won something.

arrested development and the sopranos are the only tv shows i watch religously. the absurdity that plays non-stop through arrested development is hilarious. the characters almost always seem to be doing something despicable or awful. it kind of reminds of get a life (another fox comedy with a small audience) where chris elliot was a loser no matter what he did.

^Schweet. I'll have to pick it up. Have there been two seasons so far?

My roomate and I have determined this show is just to good to last. It would probably work if it moved to cable, but that isn't going to happen since it's a Ron Howard venture.

there's only been one season so far. i don't think it's even a full season.

I've seen one full episode (and part of the infamous "Banana Stand" episode) of this show. It was quirky stuff, in a good way. Wish I knew when it airs.

I quite like this series myself :D LOL@banana stand .. that was a great episode

glad to see it got recognized!

lol a bump for this thread cos i just got my season 1 dvd, and i watched like 15 episodes in 3 days

best quote... buster..." i know she was a brownish area !! and had points ! "

lmao =D

For some reason I think it'd be really cool to find that banana stand and smoke a big fat joint right in front. Considering I live in orange county, this could very well be done unless it is just on a studio lot.

jaymie said:
For some reason I think it'd be really cool to find that banana stand and smoke a big fat joint right in front. Considering I live in orange county, this could very well be done unless it is just on a studio lot.

they film it in marina del rey

I love this show, so I'm bumping the thread in honor of the new season, which starts today!!!!

best quote ever - buster's sitting in the corner, pouting. lucille says, "then i'll get a son who WILL finish his cottage cheese!!" and signs the adoption papers.

Fox pulls 'Arrested Development' for November sweeps

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:03 PM ET

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In a move that will likely spell the end of a TV show that critics love but never drew big audiences, the Fox network said on Friday it pulled offbeat comedy "Arrested Development" from its schedule for the rest of the month.

Fox plans to air reruns of its popular new jailhouse drama "Prison Break" in place of "Arrested Development" through the end of November "sweeps," when networks go all-out to boost their ratings for the sake of local TV stations' ad sales.

Removing a struggling show during sweeps, while falling short of outright cancellation, is usually a sure sign a network has given up hope on a series.

In addition, Fox, a unit of News Corp. Ltd., said it had cut back its production order for "Arrested Development" to 13 episodes from 22 episodes for the season.

A network spokesman said the show would return to prime time in December but the show's future beyond that had not been decided.

Insiders at the network and its sister production studio, 20th Century Fox Television, said it was doubtful the series would be renewed for a fourth season next year.

"It probably does spell the end of the show," one source told Reuters.

The comedy, starring Jason Bateman as a widower struggling to manage the affairs of his dysfunctional family after his father, played by Jeffrey Tambor, lands in prison, has been a darling of TV critics since its launch in 2003.

Despite winning an Emmy Award as best comedy last fall, the show has continued to flounder in the ratings, averaging a meager 4.2 million viewers through the five original episodes that have aired this season.

"There was a very loyal and passionate audience that unfortunately never did grow," studio spokesman Chris Alexander said.

Along with "Arrested Development," Fox also is taking freshman comedy "Kitchen Confidential" off the air for the remaining three Mondays of the November sweep.

Elsewhere in prime time, the WB network said on Friday that one of its top shows, family drama "7th Heaven," will end its 10-year run in May in what one source said was a decision determined in large part by economics.

The show, which averages 5.1 million viewers, will leave the airwaves as the longest-running family drama in U.S. TV history, outpacing two hit series from the 1970s and '80s, "The Waltons" and "Little House on the Prairie," the Time Warner Inc.-controlled network said.

Rising production costs for the ensemble drama and the fact that "7th Heaven" was up for renegotiation with producers and cast members contributed to the WB's decision not to renew the series for an 11th season, a person close to the program said.

http://today.reuters.com/News/newsA...1_ROB182934_RTRUKOC_0_US-LEISURE-ARRESTED.xml