• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Are these Papaver somniferum?

Survival0200

Bluelighter
Hi!

The local florist had these beautiful flowers! I'm just wondering if these are the Papaver somniferum species?

Z92NqWU.jpg

Could be i suppose but it's a little odd that every pod is quite elongated.

They look a whole lot like somniferum, I have encountered a lot of pods that are elongated like that (though many of them are much rounder), and I am not sure if there are species that are so large that aren't opium poppies. I could be wrong though.

They do appear to be Papaver somniferum. What did the florist say?

They look a whole lot like somniferum, I have encountered a lot of pods that are elongated like that (though many of them are much rounder), and I am not sure if there are species that are so large that aren't opium poppies. I could be wrong though.
Likewise and likewise. I'd be pretty shocked if they aren't somniferum.

And the seeming mold on the pods is common, too. It has always been harmless, IME.

Yeah most pods I have ever gotten have those spots. What you need to watch for is if you break them open and there is powdery black, white, green or brown mold. If there is, discard that pod. But the spots on the outside are harmless.

So what can you actually get high on these somehow? Like eat the inside or make a tea or sth? If yes how the Fook are they legal?

May be they are sprayed with something toxic in order to prevent abuse.In some countries they are saled for ornamental purposes.Like a dried flowers.

So what can you actually get high on these somehow? Like eat the inside or make a tea or sth? If yes how the Fook are they legal?

Yes, tea is one option. They are kinda grey area, cuz people do use poppy seeds for baking and they look pretty as flowers. It’s when they can prove they were grown for drug use, that problems arise.

-GC

Yes, tea is one option. They are kinda grey area, cuz people do use poppy seeds for baking and they look pretty as flowers. It’s when they can prove they were grown for drug use, that problems arise.

-GC
Wonder if they d be an option for tapering off heroin, especially in terms of cost

You can finely grind them and make tea, it's drinking opium, basically. The potency is highly variable per pod though so to get relatively consistent strength you need a lot of them and grind them up and mix the powder up well. You can easily overdose on pods.

Also the withdrawal is worse than heroin because it lasts much longer and is just as intense.

There's a papaver setigerum that sort of looks like those, and i think another one. I once bought a bunch of elongated but rather large dried pods from a florist at a farmers market and they were pretty much inactive, though gave me a bad headache.

I have definitely gotten an occasional p. som in a bunch that looked like that, so definitely could be. But the time i got poppies from a florist where they all looked like that, they didn't work.

There is also a poppy that is golf ball sized and indentical looking to a Tasmanian but inactive. I forgot the name of that one.

"Poppies, £10 per dozen..."
I don't know if this falls under price discussion, but ... those were really expensive: 6 euros a piece, so 60 euros for the whole bunch. But you know, dried flowers last forever so it's not that bad. ;)

Not last forever at all.Theres a little bugs,that sometimes dwell inside it and eat the pod little by little.The size of the pod does not matter.In fact i pick up sometimes small size pods,which were incredibly potent.I have noticed that sometimes latex appear outside of the pod sometimes without to be cut.Thats a good mark