• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are there any over the counter drugs that can stop a shroom trip prematurely?

Redman42

Greenlighter
I'm tripping for the first time ever in a few weeks, and just want to be careful. I've heard that something like Xanax can help end a trip early if need, but I cant go out and get a prescription right now. Are there any over the counter drugs that could be used as a substitute?

Not that I'm aware of. Antipsychotics will work, but if you can't get a benzo I doubt you could get that either. Do you have access to any nonrecreational sedatives like trazodone? You could just knock yourself out.

Etizolam is easy to procure if you poke around the Internet.

^ this, but best in the event of a panicky experience is some benzodiazepine, 10mg valiium or the equivalent is ideal
(preferably something with a short onset, repeated as necessary every 30-60 minutes)
if i gets really far out 50-100mg thorazine but this is not recommended unless you're seeing acute "behavioral toxicity"
haloperidol and olanzapine as antipsychotics and antagonists to most of the receptors LSD hits may have a role too
in usual therapeutic doses mostly
OTC (US) there ain't a whole lot
some antihistamines might help you sleep
but more honestly might increase delerium, not a great ideal

Alcohol will probably work, won't bring you out of it, but neither would benzos. It will just calm you down enough to be able to enjoy the trip.

Or you could go the herbal route and try kava, valerian, skullcap, mulungu or something like that.

If you don't have a tolerance to anti-histamines grab some Benadryl and a Valerian Root tincture.

Take 2 Benadryl and squirt a bunch of the tincture in a shot glass (you could chug the whole bottle and be fine, don't be stingy, OTC herbs are low quality), add juice and knock it back if things start to get dicey. IMHO, you're better off with a good sitter who can lead you back into fun space zone

Would recommend those gel-caps too, faster onset than you'll get with other varieties of pill

Alcohol will probably work, won't bring you out of it, but neither would benzos.

Benzos can abort a trip.

do benzos help, like a xanax(gaba a) or phenibut(gaba b) ?

I've heard that something like Xanax can help end a trip early if need, but I cant go out and get a prescription right now.

^Yes, benzos work, but he can't get them. Phenibut has an onset of multiple hours, so it's a pretty awful tool when you're having a panic attack. No idea if it can dull or end a trip.

You can always take an opiate for stopping a bad trip.
You will not feel bad. You will not feel good either (shrooms + opiate always make me feel junk, but no panic attack)

Realistically there is very little that can be done. I can remember someone on this very forum assuring me that chamomile tea was just as effective as a benzo at reducing anxiety. I tested his claims extensively, taking up to a total of ten tea bags at once. I even grew the stuff (from tea bags, very easy; they contain the seeds), and tried God knows how many fresh/dried flower heads in teas and smoothies; conclusion - zero impact on acute anxiety. I do admit that there is something quite calming about the process of drinking chamomile tea though. Gorgeous smell.

This brings me to my ultimate conclusion; change your environment, incite calm. Make sure everything is set up perfectly. Listen to beautiful music and only trip with beautiful people. If you feel anxiety coming on, go for a walk, in nature. Have you tried Meditation yet? Go to www.calm.com and see how that makes you feel.

Alcohol can help some people with anxiety, but I'd say only two cans, maximum, or it might actually make your trip more intense.

Is etizolam legal where you live? If so it can probably be delivered to your door within 24 hours. That would be my recommendation.

Last edited:
That about sums it up! Is this a serious question?
...You CAN get PTSD and other mental illnesses from bad trips, you know that, right? Someone wanting extra safety measures while taking severely mind altering drugs is practicing good harm prevention

EDIT: Shit, how could I forget? Get activated charcoal, simple OTC stuff. If you're having trouble finding it try a Whole Foods or something, that's where I grabbed my current bottle from. Empty some capsules into a glass of water and drink it if things get hairy, I'd recommend doing the Benadryl and Valerian Root along with it, everything but the kitchen sink.

Last edited:
Benzos can abort a trip.

Maybe a weak one. I've had many a trip where I took tons of benzos and was still tripping for several hours even though I didn't want to be. If you really want to "abort" a strong trip, your only option for benzos is bar yourself out so hard you finally either pass out or black out. If you want to abort a psychedelic crisis and mellow out the trip, however, benzos will work just fine.

...You CAN get PTSD and other mental illnesses from bad trips, you know that, right? Someone wanting extra safety measures while taking severely mind altering drugs is practicing good harm prevention

Science disagrees. PTSD, yes. Mental illness? No. I mean maybe, if you got HEAVILY megadosed. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0063972
Conclusion

We did not find use of psychedelics to be an independent risk factor for mental health problems.

Phenibut does not dull a trip at all in my experience. It does however produce a dramatic anti-anxiety effect plus some euphoria. However it's hard to dose right (too much misses these effects, and too little doesn't do much of anything) and as mentioned, it takes multiple hours to reach effect so is a bad choice for dulling a trip. I sometimes take phenibut earlier in the day when I plan to (recreationally) trip though because it really doesn't dull it and it aims everything in your mind in a positive direction.

Science disagrees. PTSD, yes. Mental illness? No. I mean maybe, if you got HEAVILY megadosed. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0063972
PTSD is a mental illness.

Nit picking aside, that's awesome to learn! ...Now I must resist the urge to do way too much LSD. More psychosis wouldn't be fun.
Maybe a weak one. I've had many a trip where I took tons of benzos and was still tripping for several hours even though I didn't want to be. If you really want to "abort" a strong trip, your only option for benzos is bar yourself out so hard you finally either pass out or black out. If you want to abort a psychedelic crisis and mellow out the trip, however, benzos will work just fine.
If OP doesn't have a tolerance, 20mg of Valium will throw them most likely

Hell, I passed out coming up on 2 tabs (60-150 mics) because of 2.5g of Gabapentin and 10mg of Valium, didn't want to pass out just wanted the trip a bit less, intense. With a strong Gaba tolerance (was taking it daily then, would order extras to jump the dose when I wanted) and little benzo tolerance.

OP, if you have any friends with bipolar, schizophrenia or anything else that is commonly prescribed anti-psychotics for, I'd ask if they skipped meds and/or have any extras laying around. Anti-psychs kill the effects of psychedelics. One of the reasons I keep all my meds, never know when you'll need some Zyprexa

Last edited:
The guys that are telling him benzos will stop a bad trip are misinformed and it could be dangerous advice. I've seen people go from tripping hard somewhat in their right mind then popping some xannys and become aggressive and totally irrational. I don't give a shit what resources people could show me I've seen it in reality and not theory.

The guys that are telling him benzos will stop a bad trip are misinformed and it could be dangerous advice. I've seen people go from tripping hard somewhat in their right mind then popping some xannys and become aggressive and totally irrational. I don't give a shit what resources people could show me I've seen it in reality and not theory.

This is not outside the realm of possibility. Risk/reward IMO militiates in favor of a mild benzo dose of basically ANYTHING BUT XANAX (especially if booze involved). Valium and Ativan being my preference.

That said, one of the gentler neuroleptics with fast onset (such as orally disolving Abilify or preferably Zyprexa) will probably work without this risk.

In a medical setting I would start with Ativan 2mg, p.o. vs i.m., if no results in 30 minutes, Haldol 5mg / Benadryl 50mg p.o./i.m., if no results in 45 minutes-1 hour repeat Haldol 5/Ativan 2 until sedation achieved. (This is the standard rapid sedation protocol except avoiding an antipsychotic in the beginning. I would use Zyprexa but giving Zyprexa with Ativan is frowned upon. Geodon is an alternative.)