• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Are there any drugs that work WELL for treating General Anxiety Disorder??

Sorry to all of you people out there who are beonzo haters , but xanax would be the best thing for you. I myself had severe anxiety and panic attacks. I thought I was dying every minute of every second when my anxiety was at its peak. I'm telling you a benzo such as xanax or klonopin would be so good for your anxiety. That meditation and hypnosis shit is a joke. Never worked for me. I invested so much time and money in that shit and It never helped me the slightest. If you truly have severe anxiety Benzos are one of the only things to help. I was on prozac also for a while but It caused more harm then good. SSRI's are a joke. Xanax literally has saved my life. I take 1 MG 3, sometimes 4 a day. I have been for 3 years now(18 yrs old now was 15 when this all started) and haven't had to up my dose or lower it. For the people saying it's a addictive, yes it is! But everything is! AS long as you don't take them to get high and run short you'll be fine. also tried gapapentin for my anxiety and it put me in the hospital. So that drugs a joke. I really hope this helps you. xanax is hands down the best anxiety drug. Also a therapist for anxiety might help too.

Aps? their neurotoxic damage makes them a absolute no go for gad, recovery from the damage takes about a year i beleive, anecdotes report a very long time to recover, personally i recovered from risperdal straight away but it really detoriated me when on it, aps are documented to schrink the brains in humans and have severe side effects such as diabetis and tardive dyskinesia.

Even if there was a miracle drug -non-addicting, didn't produce tolerance, and completely removed all anxiety - would you really want to rely on that to function for the rest of your life? Or would you rather know you have the inner strength to fight and conquer some feelings that you're letting control you.
Mate this is entirely individual, for many its a neurological problem only drugs can fix the root cause off, therapy in combination offcourse is a must.

Gabapentin and pregabalin retard neurogenesis in the brain as an aside.

Buspar besides works as well as benzos for gad, its considered useless as its useless for anything else and ppl have had it prescribed for a ton of differened things.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing with benzodiazepines is that they aren't supposed to be used for periods of time longer than 2 weeks. And there's evidence showing that medium to long term usage of benzodiazepines actually aggravates anxiety and panic disorders.[ref]

How much do you excercise? Do you do anything aerobic, to increase your lung capacity and get your cardio pumping? How much sunlight do you expose yourself to? Do you take/have you tried Vitamin D supplements?

Nonspecific anxiety/depression is usually best treated without pharmaceuticals or "supplements", beyond what you need for a healthy lifestyle.

Also: have you tried having some MDMA assisted therapy, perhaps?

^ One of the most addictive benzodiazepines out there. Some people don't like it, but it was the first benzodiazepine that I got seriously addicted to. Aside from regular benzodiazepine anxiolytic effects it boosted my mood weirdly, made me smile and produced some colour enhancement, I just loved it, but when I ran out of it, it was a nightmare, as I compare, I guess I didn't have such a rough time even quitting clonazepam. Benzodiazepines are no solution to anxiety, they only make it worse in the long run.

I suggest self-hypnosis and meditation for anxiety. It's changed my life, I was so surprised at first, but really if you can maintain routine and be patient exploring yourself, you can be your own guide to life and have great ecstatic and psychedelic experiences without taking any drugs at all.

Listen to these two man.
These guys know their shit.
What about ketamine therapy? From what I've read it works pretty well for depression, but ime low to medium doses of ketamine are also pretty anxiolitic.

I just was prescribed gabapentin for anxiety about 3 hrs. Ago - I had taken for about 2 mos. before ( friend donated them to me ) and they did wonders for me , esp. With how my sleep is really messed up due to my anxiety and always has been. With gabapentin , I was able to sleep " normally " - able to fall right asleep , sleep all night , and for the 1st time in my life I was waking up 5 min. Before my alarm went off and all awake and rested .....
Now I should be able to delete a few of the 6 alarms I have set -
Also , that was the 1st 2 month period ever that I had 0 migraines , typ. Is 1-4 a month
They would be a good 1st thing to try , medication wise before trying something " heavier "
IMO ......

benzos obviously
cannabinoids with high CBD and low THC (i take it you don't smoke weed)
pregabalin
gabapentin
some SSRI's like "zoloft" work well for anxiety
SNRI's like "effexor" have potential, but it's hit or miss
ket and MxE have potential, but not enough solid info on them IMO
Abilify (more of a mood stabiliser, but IME helps ith anxiety)

then all the natural ways to treat anxiety, sport (more endorphins), healthy diet, regular sex, yoga, meditation and more///

klonopin... used responsibly. Preferably with a doctor overseeing your use. Worked wonders for me. And I've NEVER had a single problem with WD's. Although everyone is different and you shouldn't assume that your experience will be exactly the same as mine. That's one of the reasons why I recommend a doctor monitoring your use of the medication.
Good Luck.

I've always thought Pregabalin is much better than it's older relative Gabapentin (they now have generic preparations, much cheaper than Lyrica from Pfizer). PGN is a god-send for GAD, but in most part of the world doctors will not prescribe it right off the bat. You'd need a medical history of trial and errors with tricyclics.

Im of the notion that there isnt a magic pill out there yet. Eventually over time, the drugs just wont do the same as they did before. I am a big advocate of drugs and drug culture but for serious shit like anxiety i really feel that developing a natural plan with just human brain power is the strongest thing you can do in your defense. I to think exercise of some form of release like that really keeps people centered mentally.

Although im not saying you cant take anything if your having a really bad time and you just really need to bring that heart rate down fast. Sure, keep some on hand somewhere but i dont think a daily or every other day plan of taking something for anxiety is a smart thing to do. Many people above me have stated this so i wont go into why thats not good.

The brain is a very powerful thing and it just needs to be trained and it can get through anything. The kicker is too, as you keep doing this with only your brain, it gets stronger and it becomes easier for you to do this. But when you take a substance and your brain ends up relying on this substance it gets weaker and doesnt have to work as hard when anxiety happens. So that crutch over time makes the brain weaker till eventually it just doesn't work anymore and you need more of the substance or something different. Another words, your back at square one.

I agree SSRIs for anxiety made me skitz.
opiates worked best for me but if you abuse em, it's over for your mind and body.
and fuck benzos. they are hell to kick

what will gaba do for anxiety? no dr is going to give you that for that. period, unless you have nerve pain hahahah
Actually doctors are throwing gabapentin at people like confetti now for everything. depression. anxiety. sleep disorders. all that.
I find it useless after a short while of usage but some people have said theyve been taking it for YEARS due to mental disorders and they swear it still works . Good for them .

Nothing has ever worked for my anxiety/panic disorder except benzos.I've taken them for years.Some people can do well with these,others not so much.Although they have the same basic mechanism of action(on your GABA-a receptors)they each have subtle variances in regards to their exact effects(some are more anxiolytic,others more sedating and mucle relaxing etc....).SSRI/SNRI meds were a nightmare for me too.My right one was Xanax,you may do better on a different one or even a non-benzo med.Some people have success for mild anxiety with Beta blockers like Toprol.For some Buspirone works but takes about 2 weeks to start working.If your anxiety isn't really bad I would try a non-benzo first.Many people find the prescription antihistamine hydroxyzine(Vistoril)good for mild general anxiety but yeah,IME SSRIs only make the problem worse,they actually cause me to have panic attacks.Another possibility may be a mood stabilizer like Topomax.Find what's right for you.Good luck.

Im of the notion that there isnt a magic pill out there yet. Eventually over time, the drugs just wont do the same as they did before. I am a big advocate of drugs and drug culture but for serious shit like anxiety i really feel that developing a natural plan with just human brain power is the strongest thing you can do in your defense. I to think exercise of some form of release like that really keeps people centered mentally.

Although im not saying you cant take anything if your having a really bad time and you just really need to bring that heart rate down fast. Sure, keep some on hand somewhere but i dont think a daily or every other day plan of taking something for anxiety is a smart thing to do. Many people above me have stated this so i wont go into why thats not good.

The brain is a very powerful thing and it just needs to be trained and it can get through anything. The kicker is too, as you keep doing this with only your brain, it gets stronger and it becomes easier for you to do this. But when you take a substance and your brain ends up relying on this substance it gets weaker and doesnt have to work as hard when anxiety happens. So that crutch over time makes the brain weaker till eventually it just doesn't work anymore and you need more of the substance or something different. Another words, your back at square one.

Absolutely agree, psychiatry is still dealing with the legacy of 'mother's little helpers', people who came in with anxiety and were given benzo's because they were the perfect non-addicting medication in the 1960's and who are still addicted and as anxious as ever today. Don't treat the symptoms, treat the cause. Imagine your anxiety being like the 'low oil' warning light in your car, when the light comes on you can either a) treat the symptoms by taking the bulb out, no bulb, no warning light, or, b) put more oil in.
No drug will help in the long term, most will make it worse. Cognitive and behavioural work can and does work if you are prepared to invest in it, it can be unpleasant and difficult but afterwards you are actually better rather than sick and sedated, save the drugs for having fun with and for learning about yourself with.
Wags, Greyhounder