• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Are there any drugs that work WELL for treating General Anxiety Disorder??

Do your damnedest to avoid Atavan. It absolutely removes your memory. It's used in surgery to make you forget pain. I lost whole episodes where we had people over for dinner and I didn't remember a second of it. I was a non drinker at the time too.

Look these drugs up in Med Rx before you get on them. Some screw with your memory, some are anticonvulsants, some are antipsychotics. And since I've had to try most of them for anxiety and depression in the last twenty five years, I know what I'm talking about.

The best I found for anxiety is Xanax, but you have to keep your dosage down or they get sedating and make you not care about much. Benzos are downers.

Just watch out for Ativan!

Avoid any benzos, as they will give you more anxiety in the long run… I was addicted to them. Have you tried any seizure medications, beta blockers, or atypicals?

I'm sorry but i don't think you understand the word addiction. When you become physically or psychologically addicted to a substance you no longer have the power to choose how much you use and when you use when provided an opportunity to use a substance.

Sure it may impair your ability, but anyone who eventually quits a drug, does so by choosing not to do it....simple as that.

Sure there are physiological,psychosocial, and neurological factors at hand, but, I can't figure out why no one is willing to admit that a HUGE part is simply choice and that is what it comes down to it, no matter how hard it is, you have to just not do it.

what do you think you will get from a shrink for General Anxiety Disorder? serquil? hahahah Ativan is what u will get.........if its got some OCD in there them maybe oxacarbamazipine or another ani- epileptic drug. you are not getting gabba or pre gaba for General Anxiety Disorder. period.

You're suggesting someone would not get gabapentin or lyrica for anxiety?

Sorry, but that is bullshit.

Indeed, it entirely depends on the doctor you see, how severe your anxiety is, etc. For long-term treatment of GAD giving someone Ativan probably isn't the best treatment and something like pregabalin should be considered instead.

And believe it or not, everyone responds to drugs differently. For some buspirone works as an anxiolytic, for others gabapentin, for even others still they prefer BZDs.

Gabapentin is as pointless for anxiety as Buspirone

Speak for yourself, I know of I myself and many other noting relief of anixety with the use of gabapentin and pregabalin.

You can do a quick search and see a lot of positive talk, while I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, I don't even take it these days, but I could definitely feel some relief.

Speak for yourself, I know of I myself and many other noting relief of anixety with the use of gabapentin and pregabalin.

You can do a quick search and see a lot of positive talk, while I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, I don't even take it these days, but I could definitely feel some relief.

Maybe its just placebo talk. Theres some "positive" talk about Buspar too but it still doesn't make it not as pointless as ever for most people
I took 2,000 mgs of Gabapentin and didn't feel any different

Placebo?

How about everyone reacts differently to various substances?

I was taking large amounts of pregabalin for painful RLS and it did shit for my social anxiety. This etizolam powder I have works for a bit, then rebound anxiety and hard to dose well after I made my solution. Just seeing doc soon (using etiz so I can leave the house and actually go in and do it.)

Gabapentin/Neurontin is good.
My doctor is always trying to get me to take Zyprexa or Seroquel. For some this works. I have concerns about weight gain and lethargy, but thought I would mention them as they are out there.

RARELY Buspar helps someone. I take it and found it to boost my libido. My doc feels this is a coincidence from quitting the SSRI's but when I dont take it, I know the difference. And who can say that can't help anxiety?
On Seroquel 200mg. Puts me down. Sure I sleep a lot, but I also get nothing done. Ativan .5mg works well for me. Doesn't sedate and I don't crave it, but I've heard that's an exception. Also take Buspar along with it. Prozac for depression. But it's more or less pooped out on me.

I failed to mention therapy/counseling in conjunction with medication, and/or support groups for anxiety. They are out there. Sometimes getting on something (non addictive if possible), is a tool to get in the door for help to address root causes, organic.. emotional.. whatever it may be :)

A combo of Seroquel + Remeron has removed 95% of my anxiety and I'm sleeping again. I have insomnia too though and am very tolerant to most drugs so I'm on a pretty big dose of Seroquel, which not everyone reacts well to. Remeron by itself may be all you need, just remember that smaller doses are good for sleep and it's the bigger doses that help with anxiety.

what will gaba do for anxiety? no dr is going to give you that for that. period, unless you have nerve pain hahahah

Gabapentin works great for anxiety for me. It is also prescribed for a number of things besides nerve pain, anixety being one of them.

what will gaba do for anxiety? no dr is going to give you that for that. period, unless you have nerve pain hahahah

Once again, speak for yourself, doctors prescribe it and pregabalin, which both have notable anxiety relief for some people.

Maybe you don't respond to it, maybe your doctor doesn't write it out for you, but your experience is not that of everyone.

Probably not what you want to hear, but what worked for me was therapy combined with an SSRI (Zoloft) and a benzo (Xanax XR). The drugs definitely help, but I like to compare them to putting tape over a hole in a tire. It'll work and hold air for a while, yeah, but it's not a permanent fix. What really will fix this is figuring out the root cause, addressing it, and learning how to cope with the symptoms. Therapy can be slow and desensitizing yourself to whatever triggers your anxiety is a long and sometimes painful process, but the rewards are amazing. I went from not being able to walk out my front door due to agoraphobia after a very near death experience to going across the country with my girlfriend and only needing Xanax for the flight there.

Even if there was a miracle drug -non-addicting, didn't produce tolerance, and completely removed all anxiety - would you really want to rely on that to function for the rest of your life? Or would you rather know you have the inner strength to fight and conquer some feelings that you're letting control you.

Wow this must be a YMMV thing. I take Ativan, have never forgotten anything, nor do I find it addictive in any way. I take 2mg. Any less than that does nothing. Sublingual.

however, because benzos should not be used daily, I do well on lexapro ( I know you hate ssri but they all work differently and only a couple help with anxiety), and then the benzo as needed.
kind of like getting stabilized for pain on continuous release, and then taking IR PRN.
Good luck.