• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are the DMT experiences simply physiological?

Let's see if there is any possibility that what we experience are ramped up sensory inputs that, in our natural and unaltered states, are common and auto-regulated sensory inputs and even extra sensory inputs like intuition and things of that sort may be ramped up as well

Of course there is, I would argue that no matter whether the experience is purely sensory manipulation or extra-sensory, there is of course exaggeration of natural filters, mechanisms, etc.

What id like to refine is the idea that perhaps the dmt state can ramp up our intuitions and abilities to make better decisions

Again, of course it does so. The question we're left with is whether it's all from us, or partly, or mostly from an external source.

Maybe we just need to get deeper into our own minds to draw out the ideas and directions needed to get us there.

Against, yes, great. The question again, is that still place within us that we seem to draw true creativity, expression, and intuition from connected to something greater, or completely within us.

I'm trying to compile all of the necessary ingredients that, once boiled down, will produce one nugget of truth, which cannot be interpreted as anything else.

I don't think it's possible at this point in time, especially in this sort of environment, but I wish you the best of luck :)

Well I think you're right about DMT ramping up those extra-sensory inputs that leads to improvements in our lives. That would explain people taking ayahuasca and making life-changing choices after that, but personally when I smoke DMT, the flash is too fast to learn anything like that.

Yeah, I've experienced what I'd call just craziness with visual and audible stuff. But I've also experienced something profound and just awe striking. I experienced the "OM" sound, streaming out from my right ear while a beautiful golden haired feminine giant swung her hair back and forth, while every thought I had corresponded to golden lit particles being launched off her hair simultaneously out into the world of form.
I know that sounds fantastical, and as though I might be romanticizing for effect, but I'm not. It's what I witnessed. And while I'm not letting myself be carried away by the experience, I'm super intrigued by it.

Ok, so for now, let's set the stuff about other realms and dimensions aside.

Aww but that's the fun stuff :p :D

Let's discuss what we are in fact experiencing as opposed to what we might interpret from personal opinion and points of view.

Everything you experience is subjective though, so I am not entirely sure that what you propose is possible.

Probably the thing we can definitely say about DMT is that is exists and can cause hallucinations :). What is your impression of what is ocurring when you ingest DMT?

Let's see if there is any possibility that what we experience are ramped up sensory inputs that, in our natural and unaltered states, are common and auto-regulated sensory inputs and even extra sensory inputs like intuition and things of that sort may be ramped up as well. What id like to refine is the idea that perhaps the dmt state can ramp up our intuitions and abilities to make better decisions. And just as importantly, to maybe show us what may be deep down in the subconscious which may somehow show us what we might do in order to make the improvements in our lives that we might've been hoping and/or praying for.
Has anyone prayed, hoped or made a decree for a particular situation to arise in their lives? And had it come to pass? If not, could the dmt state, with its ramped up sensory inputs and intuitions help to facilitate the manifestation of these decrees? I think, after all, what we hope and pray for is within the ability and reach of each one of us. Maybe we just need to get deeper into our own minds to draw out the ideas and directions needed to get us there.
What do you all think?

I like your idealism in this matter <3 I think though that smoked DMT is to brief and dislocating to enable one to change a lifetimes worth of thinking. I think that the ayahuasca experience is so much more intriguing then self-guided therapy (navigating a pulsating landscape entirely made out of globe-circling, flurescent snakes). I don't think of psychedelics as therapeutic in that sense though...

I'm going to quote Solipsis from another thread because I think he said it fucking well :)

Solipsis said:
Yes, we also have parts of the brain that are related to patterns and geometry, although I'd personally say that this involves interplay.

Anything that is in some way essential to our survival...
- eyes / face for understanding facial expressions of other individuals in ancient tribes so that the reaction to danger the tribe encounters can be shared quickly by all tribe-members - primal social activities had advantages that worked like this
- life forms so that in the jungle a dangerous animal can be identified quickly, even if camouflaged - this can also save your life
... or just fundamental to abstraction of our world so that we can make a map in our mind by using shapes and spatial relationships etc.

is governed by important and probably specialized aspects of the visual cortex I think.

DMT is considered extra extraordinary and I think it is - but mostly in the sense that it seems to stimulate our visions to the extreme.. and because our mind creates a stream of consciousness and constantly tries to make sense and has the subconscious and your personality involved, we try to come up with some dream-like story sequence that tries to bring together the shapes and entities etc and makes it as coherent as possible... which is a challenge and clearly has bizarre results.

I don't think that it necessarily devalues what we think of DMT if we believe that we interface with parts of our own psyche. That is still amazing and can still be profound, there is a lot of wisdom and power buried there! In that sense you may surprise yourself if it is unlocked and communicated with!

I think it is denial and wishful thinking that there is something supernatural, extraterretrial or extradimensional about DMT experiences. A lot of related substances are known to act in the brain and mess with our perception, some more potent than others. With the milder ones it can be a lot more clear that buttons are pushed in our brain, we can see behind the curtain and presumably understand how the drug acts. It seems silly that once it gets a lot more complicated, intense and harder to understand, suddenly the explanation is sought in magical explanations. Considering that there is a decent explanation for the milder experiences... it is incredibly likely that very similar substances act in similar ways and are not keys to spacetime travel, out of the blue.

What I will say is that traveling through your own psyche in such experiences - while not supernatural - still has all those promises of being incredible and extraordinary like traveling to other, more physical, worlds beyond our own.
And in that world of your mind, there is a 'god' that generates everything there ever was in that world and ever will be and that is the core of that spirit-mind. I think that mind dimension is where things are seemingly warped, but our physical laws of nature remain untouched.

-----

@ your question: IMO it takes a certain level of dissociation to lose your depth perception because as long as you are not dissociated from your feeling of being located / oriented in a certain way in your environment, I think that feeling is encoded rather pervasively in your proprioception.
When the experience gets strong enough for the experience generated in your 'minds eye' to overrule your sensory experience - then you break through and are fully immersed as they say. In that way, IMO all psychedelics are ultimately also dissociative.

Compare with salvia, an atypical dissociative and visionary drug... which is a lot more known for fucking with your sense of where you are, which tends to make things 2D and in doing so ruins your depth perception usually in an early stage of the trip's intensity. I'd say earlier than with DMT. Same thing with a lot of typical dissociatives.
So yeah I guess that tells us something about what is encoded by the highly 5-HT governed systems i.e. rather general perception and what is encoded by NMDAR i.e. conceptual information including apparently proprioception. But, there is probably overlap as those systems are wired into each other to make the big picture.

I tend to believe in more of how that is presented. And, since I think I believe that you are the creator, every time you go into that space, you are indeed meeting God face to face, so to speak. If you've never heard of, read, or listened to Neville Goddard, I think you'd be very intrigued by how he teaches this so well. Think about it-who creates your world? There's no one causing any other person to do what we do.
I decided to give dmt a try because I felt I needed something to show me what I couldn't seem to find on my own. But then doing dmt was just me doing what I decided to do. And each time I smoked it I was just amazed that something so simple and available could cause such off the grid and new experiences to ponder. I think there just has got to be something that can be very very positively useful about it. and like all good things that are given to us naturally from the earth, taken in moderation and responsibly is how to use it properly and for the best results.
So what is proper moderation and what is responsible use? And what in God's name can we do with the 5-10 minute experience? Or is that being irresponsible? From what I've experienced with smoked dmt, I tend to believe that the ayahuasca will be a far better learning experience. Now if I can just get to Peru and back in 12 hours LOL

First if your going to Peru it should be for yopo
Second ayahuasca is shit and you can get it almost anywhere in mexico, imo the best is in chiapas...maybe veracruz

I'm not familiar with any of that stuff. In really new to all of this. I guess in still in the novelty stage of it. And like everything else,
I try to understand how it works and why it should work.

yeah so are the 'guides' biggest load of shit ever, aside from a 'spiritual guide' on a trip, pure unadulterated shit...no one gets between you and your 'gods' also just for good measure ' :p '

I suppose I couldn't rightfully judge that since I've never done it. I know I can't get reliable and true info from which to reliably build my beliefs from the tv, not even netflix.

Try and describe the taste of salt without using the term 'salty'.

A large tanker ship arriving at harbour on a grey foggy morning, slowly grinding it's metal hull with extreme force against the metal elements of the pier. Depression and excitement. Sparrows.

That's how I'd intepret it atleast, lovely challenge.

^Do you refer to salt or DMT?

JamesMachine, have you thought about trying salvia? I mention it becuase its reality-transformative capacity is much stronger then DMT imo, and raises (to me) some very odd questions....

yeah so are the 'guides' biggest load of shit ever, aside from a 'spiritual guide' on a trip, pure unadulterated shit...no one gets between you and your 'gods' also just for good measure ' :p '

I can imagine little less compelling to me then tripping on ayahuasca with a self-described shaman. I've never really understood the appeal of trying to somehow trip using completely alien cultural tropes as a guide.

I see your :p and raise it with a 8o

<3

A large tanker ship arriving at harbour on a grey foggy morning, slowly grinding it's metal hull with extreme force against the metal elements of the pier. Depression and excitement. Sparrows.

That's how I'd intepret it atleast, lovely challenge.

Nice :) <3 Are you a synaesthete?

PSY 997, I'm interested to discuss the external sources you mentioned. What do you mean by that?

God, the source, universal consciousness, all life being small parts of one large energy as leaves are to trees, etc.

I don't disagree, and what interests me is how you seem so sure of it....when you're in the throws of a BT are you remaining aware that you're just experiencing a dmt trip?
On a full break through trip I have no connection to what is reality? What is a human being? None of those things even exist. It's almost as if I completely forget I've ingested a drug.