• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are "Research Chemicals" Being Researched?

Bob Loblaw

Bluelight Crew
(Sorry if this has been covered or is in the wrong section.)

Most phenethylamines, tryptamines, and various other rare chemicals are called research chems, but are scientists actually doing research with these chemicals? If so, do you know of the nature of the research, or any profound results using the chemicals?

Generally its people like us that are doing the "research." Though not everyone see's it as research.

As for scientists researching RC's, it depends what you consider an RC.

There has been studies done on DMT by strassman, is that an RC?
Studies were done on DOI for brain imaging.
tHERE was also research done on DET, LSD, 4 ho DMT, mescaline and im sure others aswell in the 50's and 60's.

I wouldn't really consider DMT an RC. I'm talking about things like 2C-x, DOx, 4-xx-DxxT, 4-xx-MiPT, DMAI, (5-MeO-)DALT, bk-MDMA, MBDB, Mephedrone, etc.

Last edited:
i was just searching around a bit and an abstract about DOM research aswell for increaing extracellular glutamate in rat prefrontal cortex.

So i guess the answer is yes.

Though i doubt there is scientific research being done on most of them, especially new ones like you listed (bk-mdma etc). The once most likely to have been researched are "RC's" that have appeared on the drug market before te big RC boom some years ago.

AMT and AET are also a couple that come to mind.

i was just searching around a bit and an abstract about DOM research aswell for increaing extracellular glutamate in rat prefrontal cortex.

So i guess the answer is yes.

Though i doubt there is scientific research being done on most of them, especially new ones like you listed (bk-mdma etc). The once most likely to have been researched are "RC's" that have appeared on the drug market before te big RC boom some years ago.

AMT and AET are also a couple that come to mind.

Ok thanks, I was just wondering if the newer drugs were being researched, or if they just got stuck as 'research chems'

they just got thrown in with the bunch.

a more appropriate term would be unresearched chemicals.

Well that's no fun :/ It would be nice to see something like JWH or Methylone actually being used for something other than just getting high.

Actually i think there wsa some research done on the JWH's by the dude that invented them and his team (John W. Huffman ).

Ehh they'll all make the transition from RC to regularly used narcotics eventually. Most likely when more people start synthesizing them and the offline market starts expanding. Until then I doubt they will lose the title. People are using 2c-x, AMT, 5-meo-dmt, DOx, 4-xx-DxxT, 4-xx-MiPT, and all the others. No really negative effects have been shown, so there's really no point in calling most of them RCs anymore. Technically MDMA, Ketamine, and Ibogaine are all still RCs

a more appropriate term would be unresearched chemicals.

QFT. :)

I know I've mentioned it before numerous times around here but I really dislike the term 'research chemical', its so misleading and ambiguous. Most of these chemicals we know very little about, and most of our understanding of their pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics is based purely on conjecture. I think a lot of people hear the term 'research chemical' and simply assume that these chemicals are being / have been researched, when that's definitely not the case for most of them.

Additionally, many people assume that "RC" is a category for classifying compounds when its not; so they hear some bad reports about 5-meo-amt or another compound that gets similarly negative reviews and because its an "RC", they are automatically bias towards other "RCs", even if they are structurally unrelated and actually awesome compounds (like 2C-E or something similarly awesome).

That being said, the term "RC" is still better than the bullshit term "designer drug" that the media is so fond of using; that term is particularly lame. I really wish that it was possible to refer to these compounds using their proper nomenclature; unfortunately many people are very intimidated by scientific terminology and would simply tune out the second a word like "phenethylamine" is even mentioned.

Ehh they'll all make the transition from RC to regularly used narcotics eventually. Most likely when more people start synthesizing them and the offline market starts expanding. Until then I doubt they will lose the title. People are using 2c-x, AMT, 5-meo-dmt, DOx, 4-xx-DxxT, 4-xx-MiPT, and all the others. No really negative effects have been shown, so there's really no point in calling most of them RCs anymore. Technically MDMA, Ketamine, and Ibogaine are all still RCs

Well that's kinda silly. 'Technically' any compound that is being researched or has ever been researched is an "RC". "Research Chemical" is just a made-up and completely arbitrary designation, a sort of 'meme' if you will. And the term 'narcotic' literally means 'sleep inducing drug' but specifically refers to opiate/opioid analgesics, so it doesn't really apply to psychedelics. Sorry to be so semantical haha.

edit: BTW, Welcome to BL HappiestLittleNug. :)

Last edited:
How is Ketamine an RC? It was/is widely used as an anaesthetic.

If anyone has any note-worthy studies at hand, please post :D!

in many ways we are the ones doing the research, and using our own bodies as lab rats....

PUBMED has a wide variety of papers on the pharmacology, toxicity, metabolism and dangers of almost any "RC" if you are willing to do a bit of searching for them...

i know one BLer who has done some research on DiPT and DOI on rats,
but the 'RCs' are actually the standard tools most pharmacologists use to map and test the serotonin system it us not unusual at all to find legitimate scientific journal articles mentioning DOI or DOM.