• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Anyone get a positive brain/emotional reset from a big dose of opiates?

P2nicks

Greenlighter
If I don’t get a good high, I’m left feeling sick, depressed, etc the next day with string cravings to do more.

However, if I get a nice, euphoric high, I have an afterglow for the next 24 hours, feel great, like my mental state has been reset, almost like after a mushroom trip. Paradoxically I can go weeks without thinking about using again after a good opiate high like that. It just seems to set me on a good mental path.

Anyone else experience this?

Yes, often

Unfortunately I later usually feel pretty bad as it evens out tho

Like a month or two after a big dose

is probably just my body needing more Lol

But I try to avoid using opiates with any common schedule anymore

I feel like i have internalized a lot of the stigma surrounding opiates and feel guilty using them on some level

Yes, often

Unfortunately I later usually feel pretty bad as it evens out tho

Like a month or two after a big dose

is probably just my body needing more Lol

But I try to avoid using opiates with any common schedule anymore

I feel like i have internalized a lot of the stigma surrounding opiates and feel guilty using them on some level
Glad to know I’m not the only one.

That is a long time to take for it to wear off and even out though. If you have to re-dose every month or two I don’t see much harm in that, and a lot of good if you are getting the positive effect for so long.

I feel you on the guilt though. I definitely hide it and have shame around my use even though it’s intermittent. That can definitely swing the mental pendulum the other way if you don’t frame it appropriately for yourself, in my experience.

Glad to know I’m not the only one.

That is a long time to take for it to wear off and even out though. If you have to re-dose every month or two I don’t see much harm in that, and a lot of good if you are getting the positive effect for so long.

I feel you on the guilt though. I definitely hide it and have shame around my use even though it’s intermittent. That can definitely swing the mental pendulum the other way if you don’t frame it appropriately for yourself, in my experience.
Oh my girlfriend has noted I'm an objectively more helpful tolerant and pleasant human being when I'm high in opiods lol

I dont like how it messes with my testosterone levels though I feel drained when I'm on them for any length of time nowadays other than the occasional foray into revisiting poppy tea or something

And that has been thankfully fairly limited and the willpower has gotten better over the years

I do legitimately have cravings but they aren't world shaking, I think having access to some manner of opiates when I like helps, if I was at the mercy of doctors and dealers I would probably want to have a stash or a binge more often than I do.

my girlfriend is an herbalist and makes some really solid poppy seed tea/tinctures especially when she gets organic unwashed seeds from certain health food stores, its nice having the option without the fear of being cut off or running out

I think a big part of my previous compulsive seeking of pharma opiods is I was scared they would go away and I wouldn't have them when I needed them

Last edited:
I find heroin/pharma opiates compulsive but when I had real Indian opium it was a completely different experience and I felt satisfied afterward with no desire to use it again. It was much better even than poppy tea or poppy seed tea for some reason.

As horribly long-lasting and crushing after-effects of alcohol can be
Sometimes it sets me straight for several days to have evening of muscle relaxation and indifference about BS
I have trauma background and sometimes I lose sense of safety bad time and chemical intervention is required

I find heroin/pharma opiates compulsive but when I had real Indian opium it was a completely different experience and I felt satisfied afterward with no desire to use it again. It was much better even than poppy tea or poppy seed tea for some reason.
They can be compulsive for sure, but when they hit right, it seems to remove that for me. Very interesting regarding the opium.

As horribly long-lasting and crushing after-effects of alcohol can be
Sometimes it sets me straight for several days to have evening of muscle relaxation and indifference about BS
I have trauma background and sometimes I lose sense of safety bad time and chemical intervention is required
Yes I do remember alcohol doing that for me very rarely when I was young, and years before I fell into the trap of alcoholism. Drinking has never been the same since in many respect, that one included.

Real opium is a fantastic drug, but I really do think much more depends on the individual than the pharmacology of any given drug. Like back in the day there were compulsive opium smokers that got as strung out on the stuff as any heroin addict.

Well sure, but what would be interesting to know is the rate of addiction to opium vs addiction to oxy or pure morphine for example. Like if a doctor prescribed oxy to 1,000 patients for pain and opium to another 1,000 would more get addicted to the oxy?

Also, what about overdose rates?

Well sure, but what would be interesting to know is the rate of addiction to opium vs addiction to oxy or pure morphine for example. Like if a doctor prescribed oxy to 1,000 patients for pain and opium to another 1,000 would more get addicted to the oxy?

From my experience the opium is much less addictive. The other alkaloids help kill pain while not being as euphoric. Oxy is also one of the more addictive opioids in general IMO.

In the end tho, it’s all addictive with enough time.

-GC

Well, what we DO know is that rates of what we call addiction to any and all available substances have risen, NOT fallen, since global prohibition.

Both morphine and tincture of opium were routinely prescribed for chronic pain (indefinitely) as well as mental states such as acute depression or panic (periodically). The rate of so-called iatrogenic (ie initiated by medical prescription) addiction has remained constant at around a mere 2% for patients of either era.

Fatal overdose was comparatively rare in the past because users generally had access to a fairly standardised product, reliable both in potency and purity. Those who overdosed tended to be the same kind of people that now end up with alcohol poisoning despite knowing exactly what and how much they're putting into themselves, ie the reckless idiots.

Last edited:
From my experience the opium is much less addictive. The other alkaloids help kill pain while not being as euphoric. Oxy is also one of the more addictive opioids in general IMO.

In the end tho, it’s all addictive with enough time.

-GC

Exactly, my experience with opium was that it killed pain and relaxed me without making me as "opiated" as pharmy opiates, meaning if I looked at my eyes in the mirror they weren't pinned and I could still piss easily which if I took a dose of heroin I could not do. Basically I was getting the same painkilling effect with a much lower dose of morphine in my body because the other alkaloids were working together to achieve a more wholistic effect. Opium also had some side effects that would make me think twice about ingesting huge doses whereas it's so easy to take huge amounts of pure opiates and you don't even realize how much you've taken until you see your pupils barely even visible.

I believe you, wish I was lucky/blessed enough to have some to try it lol

I'm sure it's a much more pleasant less fiendish experience than pharma or H or home made tinctures