• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Anyone ever taken a Quaalude ?

Tanner Blaze

Bluelighter
I just got done watching Wolf of Wall St. and I really want to find anyone who has any experience with qualludes. I dont think they make them anymore, maybe in canada or europe? I know the list of celebrities who overdosed on those things is long...marilyn monroe, elvis, judy garland, etc.... but are they bascially like benzos (barbituates) ? I listed to an interview with chelsey handler on howard stern adn see talked about jane fonda giving her and her friend 2 ludes. Her friend had to go home early so she gave her pill to Chelsey. She took both of them with some vodka and said after an hour she couldnt feel her legs and every time she tried getting up from her chair she fell back down. She said she didnt like the feeling. It was lathagic / sick feeling. Anyone ever tried one?

Feels like a million years ago, but I tried them when I was in University I made it maybe 40 minutes before I fell asleep. I had the same reaction to the barbiturate class of drug that was so popular then. Other people could function (sort of) while being 'luded out but not me. They made me feel drunk, unsteady and overwhelmingly sleepy.

yeah, methaquaalone reminded me kinda of that 20 minute window of intoxicated euphoria that I get from carisoprodol. Idk if others react the same way I do to carisoprodol so idk if this is helpful, but it's the closest thing I can describe, but lasting hours and hours.

Yes, in the mid=-70s. Incredibly sedated, heavy body high, and mind all over the place. Then came the hives and wheezing. I'm allergic to the damned things!

BTW, if you're a teen and tell a doctor you're allergic to 'ludes, they give you a REALLY fishy look...

when I was a teenager, never in all my extensive time spent in hospitals and with doctors, was I asked whether I was allergic to Methaquaalone... That's just like, raising flags for no reason, isn't it?

but are they bascially like benzos (barbituates) ?

Apparently they are still made, but I haven't heard of anyone using them in years. To my understanding, benzos were basically developed to replace barbiturates since they're safer. But quaaludes are not a barbiturate. They are a quinazolinone. My experience is similar to that of tricomb. I felt like I had consumed an extreme amount of alcohol then shortly passed out.

Last edited:
I know the list of celebrities who overdosed on those things is long...marilyn monroe, elvis, judy garland, etc....

Judy Garland OD'd on Secobarbital, Marilyn Monroe committed suicide with a combo of Chloral Hydrate and Pentobarbital.

Yes, Elvis was using Quaaludes when he died, but he took pretty much every prescription upper and downer under the sun (including opioids, which presumably exacerbated his severe chronic constipation that also contributed to his death).

Aren't Mandrax basically the same kind've thing? If so, not my poison, zero entertainment value in going into a deep sleep, then ending up feeling half asleep for a day. Good for daterape I expect, if you're into semi-necrophilia... not to my tastes though. They were quite useful for ensuring a good nights sleep before court cases, scary interviews etc... or missing them altogether.

There is (was) a sort of pleasant euphoria I suppose, just before slipping into the arms of Morpheos, or however you spell his name? Each to their own however, as always. I remember friends who saw Mx's as the jams of paradise, but they were usually distinctly nervous unhinged and hysterical types to start with... and most unpleasant company when not heavily tranquillised.

Mx's were I believe quite easy to slip into permanent, irreversible unconsciousness forever, after only half a dozen washed down with half a bottle of spirits. A pity I used up that big bottle of them I 'inherited' from an aged relative back in the late 70's... eked out and long gone by the time I really needed them, but fuck it - I'd not be writing this if I hadn't? Don't say it, please!

AFAIK Quaaludes were pure Methaqualone, while Mandrax also contained antihistamines, meaning the former was probably more of a party drug that could substitute for alcohol, while the latter was more useful for knocking yourself out after a stim binge or potentiating your opiates.

I used to love the feeling they gave me. I hated to drink and the feeling they gave me was what would have been the beginnings of a good drunk without the feeling of having drank so much liquid etc. It was an entire body high. When I would get them, I loved to take a few 15-30 minutes before work ended so I'd be just right at 5:00. I still remember the feeling they gave me when they'd first start to clink in. One problem though, tolerance was a bitch. What one would do for 2 days, 2-3 were needed for the same result on day 3 or 4. Luckily, I never had a good enough connect to really get myself in trouble.

I was always amazed that people could function on 'ludes. I was a total zombie.

My old Junkie mate used to sing the praises of Mandrax (Methaqualone) said it was speedy then gougey,

Several of the older speakers that came when I was in rehab mentioned quaaludes. As well as demerol, two drugs my generation of 20-30 something's never had much access to.
My mom has vaguely and jokingly mentioned quaaludes. After the Bill Cosby rape stuff came out and they talked about him using quaaludes and I mentioned that it's always been common knowledge that Roman Polanski drugged his victim with quaaludes, my mom goes "What? I didn't even know you could use them for that, that's definitely not what we were taking them for back then."
We joke all the time about how she'd rather have quaaludes than her Klonopin.

I find it hard to believe Cosby used Q's for date rape. I used to take them semi-regularly in the 70's and 80's and I NEVER lost my sense of being to the point where someone could take advantage of me. Speaking of Demerol, now THAT was my very favorite! I had an aunt when I was growing up who lived with us for a few years and she was prescribed a shitload of pain and sleeping meds. My wife used to take her to her appointments and got her prescriptions filled. I think she got Tuinals, Codeine #4, Demerols and probably 3-4 more I can't remember. Yes, she was our medicine box and I'd go in whenever I wanted and get what I needed for the day. That way they went down in a more even pace. And hell, she was so out of control, she had no idea what she was taking!

Well I think he was using it in their drinks, the same way you can use things like xanax because they're mixed with alcohol. But that's what he said in a recoded deposition,

I first heard about them from Dennis Leary 'no cure for cancer' tour...."Ludes man, faarkin ludes man!" - listened to that cassette alot back in the mid 90's as a teen. I've never come across Ludes though.

No one has taken a Quaalude since the seventies when they were discontinued permanently save for the rich drug feigns who had it synthesized to meet their drug use wishes, which gives me the great idea that someone should commission a good chem lab anywhere in the world such as in Africa to bring us back our MXE, aPVP, MDPV, and mephedrone by the ton. Is there some reason this is not being done?

As recently as the 90's and early 2000's playboy bunnies and potential playboy bunnies talked about Hugh Hefner giving them quaaludes. But then again you don't know if he was telling them the truth and being older he may have just kept calling all sedative ludes.

I was always amazed that people could function on 'ludes. I was a total zombie.

It depends on how much you take or whether you mix it with something else.
Ludes were not so uncommon in the 80's. But I don't think it was ever that big deal.
For once, it's not as euphoric as people tend to think IMO obviously. Besides, it makes you want to sleep more than anything else.