View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Anyone else never have a bad trip?

treezy z

Bluelighter
I've been tripping since i was 12 (27 now) and never had a bad trip. unpleasant, scary, shitty, yes, but not "bad."

when i think of a bad trip i think of something traumatizing. never happened to me.

closest would be marijuana paranoia that has me doubting myself/questioning the past and shit.

actually all my worst psychedelic experiences were on herb

I consider "shitty" trips to be bad. I've had plenty of bad trips, but nothing traumatizing.

I'm saying, shitty trips i'm fine days later. What's "bad" about that? And i often learn the most from these.

I might be immune tho. One time I did DOC not knowing the duration and went to my job at sears the next day seeing shit. My manager wasn't there so i got through the shift alright. That was my last retail job, might've been better off getting fired so I'd get into construction (or other real, non-slavery job) sooner.

Last edited:
actually all my worst psychedelic experiences were on herb

Ditto. The only thing that psychedelics have ever made me fearful of is my own death. This is child's play compared to a fully psychedelic cannabis experience.

Honestly though, I don't think this thread is really... accurate. You say that you've had trips that are "unpleasant, scary, shitty." These qualities are the only things people are really talking about when they refer to a bad trip.... Most people had never had a trip worse than that. The only reason that other people describe those trips as bad while you don't is because a very large number of people are unwilling to go the distance to learn from their experiences, as you mentioned. Truthfully I don't think that most people who use psychedelics correctly actually believe that "bad" trips are a real thing, aside from trips that just happen to take place in absolute terrible settings for them....

I tend to agree that setting is a big factor. There was one time a long time ago when we were all going to eat some mushrooms and head out to a big party out in the bush. I ate a few grams and away we went. We had all been doing this all summer, so no big deal, party on! The atmosphere around the bonfire was tense, there were a lot of people there that were just drunk and looking for a fight. This didn't particularly worry me as we were all young and badass heheh.

It seems though that the underlying tension did seep in, and created a state of anxiety in my subconscious that I was unaware of. Until, standing around the fire drinking a beer and chatting, everything suddenly went into multicolored checkerboard patterns. Now normally I would have said "cool" and enjoyed the show. This time however, the anxiety suddenly became a full on panic attack, and the only sensible thing to my mind, was to take off running, full speed, into the pitch black forest, which I was seeing as checker board land.

Of course running into a giant tree full blast in the dark tends to bring a different perspective. That of laying in front of the tree looking up and trying to figure out what the hell just happened. After laying there cursing, praying, and gibbering for a while I pulled myself back together and wandered back to the party to find people that I knew. Luckily all that happened was a small cut on my face, amazingly lucky thinking back.

Two things I learned from this, your setting is not to be taken for granted when tripping, and mushrooms are never to be taken for granted, give them due respect or they will kick your ass. Oh, and trees are really, really solid heheh.

I think bad trips are ones that for whatever reason are difficult and just a little negative. Train wrecks are PTSD causing, never really forgotten, and take a long time to get over.

Basically in my mind it goes: Psychotic break > Train wreck > Bad trip as each is different and has different levels of stimuli response and ways to try to help navigate and correct the problem. It would seem that you classify trips in 2 categories either good or bad, generally two poles like that doesnt allow for all the variance in real practice (worlds not black and white stuff like that)

An example of each is a psychotic break the guy gets tasered keeps fighting with police people wonder how he got all that strength he was a good kid why was he naked in the street. A train wreck is something like ODing and having to deal with being sick on top of tripping or something equally as hard to deal with mentally and physically. A bad trip can be a thought loop, a "this will never end" experience or even getting upset over death the thought of death. Usually it can be solved with a change of setting.

Those are just how I do it in my head. Ive had bad trips and train wrecks, recent one was dropping like 0.3g of very pure molly and overdosing. I spend 40 hours puking every 30 minutes and could not eat or drink i was sweating profusely and debating on calling an ambulance as i was in really bad shape and did not want to seize out. Because molly is psychedelic i had the distinct pleasure of tripping while in extreme pain. It was so bad i would basically fall asleep wiht my eyes closed. My g/f said i would obviously be asleep but my eyes were wide open rolling in the back of my head, and i would stay like that. This was like 2 hours after i dropped when i say i was bad i was really bad. It takes a lot for me to consider calling an ambulance because i know what would happen, benzos and time, but i was exceedingly worried about the fluids i was losing dripping sweat puking up nothing i could watch water bottles worth of fluid leave me and i couldnt keep any in. IV fluids the only reason i wanted to go.

Szuko, did you take any benzos, or just wait it out? And yes, that's definitely what I'd call a trainwreck.

As long as it's a psychedelic, I don't believe in "bad" trips, only difficult ones. Each trip has a lesson to learn from.

Szuko, did you take any benzos, or just wait it out? And yes, that's definitely what I'd call a trainwreck.

Nah couldnt take anything, i tried taking advil for the jack hammer that was hitting my brain but even the sip of water came back up. I had to power through it and hope that if extreme dehydration occurred my g/f would call an ambulance for me. I couldnt tell her I was actually that concerned for my well being because she was dealing with her trazodone ruining the experience and she was really emotional last thing she needed was, i who actually knows enough to play safely, completely mis judged the dose even with my new scale i purchased to prevent this I was ODing that badly. It was about 36 hours until the puking slowed to the point i was able to process water, and just a few hours after that was the last vomit. My existence was pure hell for 6 hours and I mean the depths of it like dehydration with ice cold water but regardless of how good it felt to drinkn it would lead to dry heaving and so much pain. I am glad i went through it, I learned a lot of respect, respect i should have already had due to my 5 years of rolling every now and again. Let my post serve as a warning. This was tested molly i bought a kit and an accurate scale a month ago when i started looking it took me 3 weeks to find real stuff and i just prematurely ejaculated all over my serotonin receptors to the point they almost broke up with me... and only on 300mg.

How did this happen in the first place? You say you misjudged the dose and ended up taking 300 mg. Did you not weigh the stuff out, or how did you end up taking that much?

Sorry for the derail, just really curious about this.

Never had a bad trip, I don't believe it's possible for me to have one either. I think it's just a minority of people who are vulnerable to panicking.

I've taken far too much and had an uncomfortable couple of hours - both physically and mentally but all the time I was aware this was just an overdose that would wear off shortly and there was no reason to panic.

I'm the same way Ismene. I've not had a bad or negative trip. The closest would be when I ate about 7 grams of very potent mushrooms. The experience was physically uncomfortable and a little disorienting, but the entire time I was aware that I had simply taken far too much and would feel fine in a few hours.

Dosing high on LSD can sometimes cause a difficult peak for me due to the intensity, but I'm always able to remain calm and ride it out. I always end up greatly enjoying myself within an hour or so of feeling like that.

How did this happen in the first place? ...Sorry for the derail, just really curious about this.

I fully understand and would prefer someone asks so others dont make the same mistake. I parachuted approximately 180mg, a high dose but nothing crazy, waited about 1.25 hours and started to come up. I got a good effect but nothing like i remember, mind you it had been about 2 years since a crazy wonderful experience. I never had an issue of dosing to high so i railed a line too, didnt mass it didnt felt i needed to i took my big dose so i didnt think it would be a crazy amount, it didnt look that big. Anyway that line must have ended up being roughly 100mg as about 20mins later i was still good and not crazy so i got the idea to do more... then i thought, i have done a lot let me weight it... at that point i realized way more was gone then i thought and i did not do any more once i realized the dose amount was pushing 300mg and i was still coming up.

It was like being rocketed into the sky then somewhere in the stratosphere the boosters failed and what started as a small fire (minor head ache) rapidly progressed into a raging inferno to the point where any stimuli caused me to feel sick. i was shaking and sweating, i couldnt sit even though i was in pain. That was the worst part of the OD i have never done so on stimulants but the absolute desire to lay down yet the inability to was bad as well.

Please for the love of god wai 1.5 - 2 hours before redosing, if i just waited 15 more minutes i probably would have realized it.

Yeah, I've learned that MDMA needs a lot of respect. It can take you all the way up, or all the way down.

Anyways, for this thread to reach a consensus, I think a definition of a "bad trip" needs to be agreed on. People are saying they've had horrible experiences but don't consider it "bad" for whatever reason, possibly because they learned something. I think that's a good way to frame it, but in my mind, a shitty experience on mushrooms is the very basis of a "bad trip."

Please for the love of god wai 1.5 - 2 hours before redosing, if i just waited 15 more minutes i probably would have realized it.

Actually, no, don't re-dose at all. The difference between MDMA being a little toxic and very toxic is re-dosing. Personally, I only get comedowns and hangovers when I re-dose, feel drained, etc.. The re-dose only extends the speedyness of it too, not the empathetic roll, especially when insufflated. If I keep it to a single oral dose, say ~150mg, I have a far better time and am rewarded with an afterglow the next day.

I guess I skimmed too quickly and didn't realize you were having a bad trip on MDMA. In that case, yes, I too have had a BAD TRIP on MDMA that changed my life in a traumatizing way.

^ that is true I normally only re dose only once if need be, this was one of those times or so i thought. Generally I am against redosing as it takes more to do anything usually and only prolongs the experience if your lucky and can cause bad side effect / side effects to be more noticeable. It is also important to realize people do re dose and even though we can all advise against it and provide plenty of evidence against it, people will do it. I want my complete lack of, what is otherwise very good, judgement. I consider myself to be well read in all of this and like you guys sit there and wonder "how can (person) take so much of an RC without a scale!?!" then it happened to me and i realize now how quick dosing errors can occur especially when you want something and you waited forever, excitement is what caused my mistake not arrogance or ignorance to what i had. I was too excited to roll for the first time in 2 years and completely ruined it for myself.

They call me "Bad Trip Jon" for a reason. Just kidding. But yes i've had a bad trip.

The first time I was on 5 tabs of acid, drunk and smoking herb. Some kids I ripped off in a drug deal broke into my house and threatened me with knives and wrecked my house. That was early in my psychedelic days.

Since I've changed a lot and my 2 bad trips since were

....I used to do this 2 and a half hour hike on shrooms like 10 times and it was all fine, then I tried it on acid, and somehow acid lasts for 4+ hours, for some reason, well it's a good reason...but anyways I entered the beginning of my hike all fine, kept going, then i reached the end of it and there were a billion people and so on...it was bad...i didnt know what to do... i remember purple haze came on my ipod when i reached the end of the hike. "not knowing if im going up or coming down" i was pacing around for an hour and a half trying to avoid people not knowing what to do.

and the second bad trip. i took 4 or 5 grams of shrooms and drank a little. on the way down i drank 2 cups of coffee. and the alcohol and shrooms were trying to make me sleep while the coffee was keeping me awake. messed with my brain chemistry.

those were bad trips.

the 2nd one messed with me the least while the first and third sent me to rehab. i learned from my mistakes....and "life"..."life"..."life"...and so on. that's how it is. sorry im buzzed.

Bad trips dont necessarily have to be so harmful that they result in a "I took LSD two months ago and i still havent recovered- HELP!?!" type thread.

Objectively speaking, I think ive had three bad trips. The first time I took psychedelics was at a friend's shitty, freezing-cold apartment. The second was a 2nd plat DXM trip while hanging out with some friends and I ended up just getting really sick and uncomfortable. The most recent was when I made the mistake of thinking that AL-LAD would make for a good party psychedelic but it just made me really cynical and antisocial as I deconstructed the "fakeness" in the way strangers at a party converse.

None of these were mentally scarring or scary- just really uncomfortable and ultimately a waste of the substances. Thats what I consider a bad trip