• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Anyone else feel angry on benzos?

drmichaelimperioli

Bluelighter
I've never been a fan of benzos, only take them as needed for panic attacks or maybe a super low dose if I want a little alcohol to go a long way, but I've noticed that I start feeling depressed after about an hour and 2-3 of my friends have noted that they get pretty angry on them (they call it benzo rage). Especially my roommate, he looks super dopey and then suddenly seems mad at people for no reason and has blown up so badly that he's ruined 1 or 2 friendships just from the rare occasions he's taken them. He's an alcoholic, so when he takes them he's mixing them, but he's not a violent or angry drunk. He's usually a very sweet guy despite being drunk all the time, never yells or gets scary. But when he's on them, I've seen him kick people out of our house screaming at them and other messy things like that. Just don't get why this med that's meant to calm people down has this effect on us. And if this IS normal, then why are they appealing at all? I wind up feeling kinda sad or exhausted or confused, not high. Just really don't get the hype around them unless we're all having super different experiences ?? Guess I'm just wondering why people love them so much?

If you’re agitated and in a hostile mood….certain things can aggravate you, pet peeves, mess in the kitchen by roommate, etc

I wouldn’t say benzodiazepine cause this specifically (although it’s known to cause paradox effect in few patients)

Diazepam 30mg would surely have rapid acting potent anxiolytic effects, regardless

No they chill me out , none of that rage that I got on opiates sometimes.

It certainly could be a paradoxical effect but it would be helpful to know what benzo he's been taking.
The more likely answer is thst he's mixing benzos and alcohol.
Even alcohol alone can turn a quiet mild mannered person to someone punching holes in the wall with basically zero provocation....I've definitely seen this happen more than once to people at parties.
Adding a strong dose of a benzo to a large dose of Alcohol will leave yiu unable to think straight, have zero inhibition and make the poorest of decisions that may seem perfectly reasonable at the time.

I guess it is the part of brain left to function while others, particularly frontal lobe, is inhibited. "Lizard brain-syndrome"
Tho I have heard the whole referring to lizard brain-thing is just scientifically inaccurate, no matter the reference frame.

I had a court ordered drug therapist years ago. He told me that the reason I get angry on opiates is because I have those carved out for my perceived peace time. I know I will feel better after taking it. So anything that puts a pin in my perceived peace bubble will irritate me. So I kind of get very angry when my peace time is interrupted. I mean what else can make me mad.

I imagine it is the same as benzos. I did notice once on a very stressful work day I decided to take a benzo at the end of the day. But the aggravation at work continued after I took one and remember getting very mad as the benzo took effect and I still could not relax. I think that would be a pin in my bubble of perceived peace.

As if drugs could ever cause peace. lol Peace is a state of mind not reached to often by me or others. Drugs can make me comfortable or feel better, but do not induce a state of peace. And when I am ready to really feel peace I will rest in peace. :)

Occasionally people would comment I was being irritable even though I didn't feel it. I think because they lower your inhibitions your more likely to vocalize your annoying with people, like with alcohol.
Carisoprodol (Soma) I took a 350mg pill once and (and I'm normally a very chill person) had THE most uncontrollable rage of my life. LIke screaming uncontrollably and I smashed a table to pieces (with my bare hands...and it was a large, sturdy table...and I weigh like 112lbs). Scary.

I've never been a fan of benzos, only take them as needed for panic attacks or maybe a super low dose if I want a little alcohol to go a long way, but I've noticed that I start feeling depressed after about an hour and 2-3 of my friends have noted that they get pretty angry on them (they call it benzo rage). Especially my roommate, he looks super dopey and then suddenly seems mad at people for no reason and has blown up so badly that he's ruined 1 or 2 friendships just from the rare occasions he's taken them. He's an alcoholic, so when he takes them he's mixing them, but he's not a violent or angry drunk. He's usually a very sweet guy despite being drunk all the time, never yells or gets scary. But when he's on them, I've seen him kick people out of our house screaming at them and other messy things like that. Just don't get why this med that's meant to calm people down has this effect on us. And if this IS normal, then why are they appealing at all? I wind up feeling kinda sad or exhausted or confused, not high. Just really don't get the hype around them unless we're all having super different experiences ?? Guess I'm just wondering why people love them so much?
I seem to only get that way with the fake blue ones hear in scotland if thay are proper prescripshons ones then I'm fine

Think about angry drunks out there. There's an army of angry alcoholics. For those dulled negative emotions that one uses benzos or liquor to cancel out, the emotions backed down suddenly come out in unexpected ways.

Idk it doesn't matter unless you really ruin your life by being mean to everyone around you lol. The more concerning part is the drugs. Being on the drugs.

Oh yeah, last time I hit benzos (lorazepam) as emergency medication in the psych ward, they stopped being sedatives since I've acquired heavy dissociative tolerance for whatever reason and what remained was a disinhibiting effect that got me quite a rage, also because I didn't sleep they redosed at least until 5mg. They restrained and transferred me to another ward where funnily enough should show to be easier to get out into freedom again.

Here is the thing. If I am having a stressful day and take a benzo to continue to work It usually does not go well. Since I can't relax yet I notice I get pretty damn angry during the day. But after work if I take a little and melt into the couch for sleep (not for TV as I won't remember anything) then it works ok.

For the daytime, benzos are such a crappy drug for me. And it does not matter if it is alprazolam, etizolam, diazepam, if take it during the day to continue to try and relax but continue to work most of the time it does not work. (o course I keep trying every so often to make that work) But I get apathetic, angry flattened, and not fully present as I am not use to them during the day unless I nap. I can get angry and wow that is a crappy state of mind, benzo feeling and anger. Then I just want to go to sleep. I have had the same 30 alprazolam pills for the last 6 years. And this is the reason. I wish I liked it. I will use them for sleep at the right time. Just no more daytime trials.

Benzos are for sleep for me, all the other effects flatten my life experience. They are good to sleep after a psychedelic trip at the very end. But trying to use during a regular work day backfires for me and yes I can get angry if the stress continues. No anxiety at all, but can be impulsive in the anger dept. I would love to be that guy that says IO get a warm cocoon and euphoric blanket from benzos. Am am glad people do. But growing up there were better downers before benzos completely took over. I in fact they are probably more of an antianxiety drug and anti seizure drug before they are a true downer.

Benzos do not make me angry, but they seem to sometimes enhance my reaction to annoyances. Like if I wasn't on benzos I generally just ignore various annoyances, but if I'm on benzos I might not ignore it and act upon it, often manifesting mild mannerisms of anger.

To me it seems linked to the way benzos can sometimes make me manic or give me weird OCD tendencies, but not generating anger itself.

Haven't taken benzos in years but yes sometimes I got irritable on them.

To this day I'm a little angry with myself for ever having gotten hooked on the damn things. Terrible habit. The benefits are fleeting and the consequences are horrendous. Fuck benzos.

(edit) PS--- One odd side effect I've observed in others (usually women, but sometimes men) is compulsive shoplifting. Compulsive and often blatant shoplifting of things they don't really want or need. Weird.

Last edited:
I am a daily user prescribed for more than a decade, never skipped a day and never felt angry on them , until tonight, well someone said things i didn't deserve hearing maybe is just it but i never felt this angry in years.
i took almost all marketed benzos during this years all began with alprazolam, but since then diazepam estazolam clonazepam alprazolam flunitrazepam temazepam oxazepam bromazepam .
Now that flunitrazepam is not marketed anymore in my country so i switched to nitrazepam (which i never have taken before) and I don't think it's the reason but idk.
For context nowadays i am scripted clonazepam alprazolam and nitrazepam..