• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Any way to stop cravings/temptation?

shadowstryker

Bluelighter
I'm at the point in my opiate use where I've already switched to Heroin. Not long ago though I'd say a week max. My original plan was to only use for a couple weeks at a time, and then take a one week break so as to avoid physical dependence, and to just keep doing that. I read that physical dependence could start after just three day however, so today I told myself I wouldn't use again until tomorrow. It was hard, and I kept thinking about using all day, but I was able to hold it off. Until my car broke down (something in the engine), and I realized I am unable to afford to fix if. For some reason I used this as an excuse to use again, and I finished smoking some not long ago. I started out using thinking I could control my use and stop at any time, but I'm realizing that obviously isn't the case as something so small triggered me to use again. I was told this is what would happen, but I didn't listen. But I digress. Point being, I am disappointed in my lack of ability to take a break, even for a short period of time like a day.

Is there any way to stop these cravings or temptation to use? I assume not, that's what makes quitting so hard/relapse so easy, right? I have to ask anyway, though.

Last edited:
Time. Right now your mind and brain are telling you that it's ok and first and foremost that the drug feels great! Sadly the only thing that worked for me was to never use again and with time the cravings lose their power until one day you'll realise that "shit, I haven't thought about that in a while".

It took years for me to no longer dream about chasing to score and then trying to shoot up my drugs. In hundreds of dreams/nightmares I only ever got to actually push the plunger ONCE! There would always be an issue with the rig, the needle was bent, or blocked or I couldn't find one, or the gear would be dropped somewhere and I would be frantically searching for it or something chaotic. Very frustrating, and those nightmares would often cause me to relapse and go and score the next day.

But how could I possibly use time to my advantage if I can't stop using right now? I don't know how to explain it, but I think about using all day, every day. Even if I want to stop using that day I find myself arguing with myself constantly about how I shouldn't use, and then how I might use, and then how/what ROA I should use, then then the entire process repeats itself.

SS, you have experienced first hand what it's like, or how quickly or easily one can be drawn in to addiction. The problem with opiates is that physical addiction that comes along with cravings and the other psychological aspects of addiction and drug use and pleasure/ reward issues.

We often don't want to stop early on cos we haven't finished experimenting but there in lies the problem, when you want to stop you feel you "can't".

Well it happens fast. I had been pleasantly on percocet for quite some time.

After a month on heroin (just sniffing tiny little bumps all day... I went through 3 grams of very pure stuff in that month), I was having severe constipation problems. Like nothing I've ever experienced on 30 - 60mg of oxy. I couldn't shit for like 5 days at a time and then it was excruciatingly painful to do so. I would dread each bowel movement so much, and when I stopped it was like another 2 weeks before I could do that properly.

Also, what started out as tiny little bumps ended up being little lines at the end of the month. I ended up blowing through my stuff when I initially thought that, wow, this is going to last me all year! Then I wanted more so bad because that month, with that minimal use (it wasn't like I was shooting up) led to a horrible withdrawal. I remember kicking like a fish out of water every night for a week, all night, every muscle in my body ached like hell, I was so depressed and lazy and I had to work and pretend I was normal. While still having gone back to my usual amount of percocet, which was like taking a placebo. Then after that, my tolerance was sky high. Like at least 3 times what it was before that month, to the oxy. It's still not down to what it used to be, and my tolerance I think is permanently raised.

I still have cravings to use it because the pain relief and relaxation felt so great, especially since I have chronic pain but what stops me is just knowing how STUPID it is and how even using it once is opening that door wide open again. I would for sure become a total junkie.

People say oxy is pretty much the same thing well to me IT'S NOT. I've never abused oxycodone anything remotely like that or found it anywhere near as tempting and just so extremely addictive. What fucked me over was that it was super pure. I'm not saying why I know that, but it was, and I wish it wasn't.

I didn't expect any of that at first. I loved it for the first few weeks, actually the whole time I had it I loved it. Then I ran out, which is inevitable. It's just not worth that part.

Also, the respiratory depression was very noticeable and uncomfortable off the tiniest amounts. Oxy has never done that to me, I've never felt like my life was threatened. It can fucking kill you man. If you've already started and you have easy access to it, you're probably fucked (no offence... that's just why you should NEVER EVEN TRY IT).

I've never really experienced any issues with respiratory depression with heroin personally. My story is similar, though. I had an Oxy habit before making the switch, and while I did use every day, and I would think about using everyday and couldn't wait to get home to use, I had no issue taking short breaks.

My story with heroin is similar to yours too. I have some pretty pure stuff, so I expected to be using 50mg a session max, and thought the gram I bought would last me 2-3 weeks at least. Nah, it hasn't even been a week and I'm almost through this bag because I've been using anywhere from 100-250mg a session now. I can't explain it, but it's definitely different than Oxy. True, I thought about using Oxy all the time, but with heroin it's different. I just can't wait to get home and use. If I tell myself I won't use and take a break, I somehow talk myself into using anyway. I don't just say "man, I can't wait to get home and use", I literally sit there thinking about using, picturing myself smoking it, imagining exactly how I'll do it. Then I think about other ways I could use it to try something new, or get a different feel from it. It didn't matter if I'm in class, at work, whatever. The thought still creeps into my mind.

Cannabis works for me. Little in the way of euphoria , makes me anxious but at the least I don't feel sober and I enjoy rolling the joints as much or more than my needle fetishism.

Getting so stoned I forgot to/couldn't user heroin was the one and only time I was able to last a night after telling myself I wouldn't use because I'd already used once that day, but that solution won't always work.

I might as well just finish the rest of the bag, I'm already pretty close. My only worry is that I'll just buy another bag when I do finish this one.

I understand why you said time won't work cause you can't even stay away for small periods of time. The person who told you time makes the cravings lessen or go away is correct though. It will.

I'm going to give you some practical help though, that will help you get some time off it. From what I'm reading, you experience cravings. Totally normal. And then when you have a craving you allow your mind to keep going and picture doing it, the whole process, etc. When you do that you are feeding the craving. Hard as it may sound, when you first have the thought of "I wish i could do some dope right now"--it's at that point you have to "change the subject" in your own mind, like you would in a conversation. The more you play the whole "getting high" tape in your head the stronger the craving will be, until you can't think of anything else.

When you first recognize that craving, for an experienced use who's been through some consequences like bad wd, jail, etc I would say to play the whole tape through and realize where the getting high leads to. Fortunately for you, you haven't had things happen yet like waking up dopesick in the county jail. While you may not have a consequences tape to play in your mind, you can still change your thinking. Read something. Watch TV. Go on the Internet to stuff that's non drug related. Call someone just to bullshit. Anything that will keep your brain from feeding the craving.

Cravings are powerful. I've had them to the point I can taste the shot. And what someone said about dreams/nightmares is true. When you do stop your brain tries really hard to get that dope back--you'll have those "almost used" dreams that have you wake up craving

The longer you're away from it the less you will crave it. But it is a conscious effort, a learned behavior to banish cravings. The most important thing is not wanting to use. You have to have the motivation.

A craving is just that--a few second intense thought. Giving it power by feeding it is where it becomes the issue

you will never be able to make this a stable habit. Just like we all told you in the original thread. Now that you have found the heroin you have not even began to experience the lows of a heroin addiction. Be prepared for losing all you money, relationships, and hurting your family. Go get help now or start going deeper down the rabbit hole. You just proved to yourself that everything we said is true. Do you really want to risk us being right about the other stuff too?

You are trying to control the uncontrollable! I said it in previous thread and it's an AA/NA staple(if not fact) admitting you are powerless over this substance. I'm not a big 12 step guy but the program speaks from 75 years of other addicts experiences you are not the first one to be in this situation. This disease is progressing extremely fast with you and you can find yourself in some serious trouble much sooner then later! We can only tell you the way but you need to walk the path yourself. If you don't want to listen ,well god bless you because this is as good as it gets,it progressively gets worse.
Good luck my young friend,spare yourself and your loved ones a future of pain!

^^ solid advice. I know you won't listen to us even though we have all struggled with some form of addiction for very long periods.

In the off chance that you will though I'll say it one more time. Please, just throw the dope away and lose the dealers number and walk away and forget about this shit. It's harmful in so many ways. If you don't you can look forward to prison or death.

It will only get worse. Unfortunately most of us need to lose everything before we learn for ourselves. Just expect to lose all of your money, break everyone that loves you heart, legal troubles, severe depression, your habit will continue to grow where it takes more and more and gets extremely expensive, and it will run your life. You cant do anything or go anywhere without having to take care of the beast every few hours. Its an albatross that will slowly drag you to the bottom of a dark cold ocean floor. Then when all of your money is gone the dope will be gone too. She may seem like your best friend at times always there to numb and make you feel better but she's not she will be gone as soon as your money is and you will be left sick and alone. Run run run. Learn from others. It will not end different for you. None of us did this on purpose. None of us set out to be junkies. This was not our childhood dream. Its just that powerful and it will take everything that you have and everything that you are unless you stop it. You are the only one who can do that and the sooner the better because it will get harder every day.

Would consider yourself a junky already?
No, the way junkies are portrayed I wouldn't consider myself one.

I understand why you said time won't work cause you can't even stay away for small periods of time. The person who told you time makes the cravings lessen or go away is correct though. It will.

I'm going to give you some practical help though, that will help you get some time off it. From what I'm reading, you experience cravings. Totally normal. And then when you have a craving you allow your mind to keep going and picture doing it, the whole process, etc. When you do that you are feeding the craving. Hard as it may sound, when you first have the thought of "I wish i could do some dope right now"--it's at that point you have to "change the subject" in your own mind, like you would in a conversation. The more you play the whole "getting high" tape in your head the stronger the craving will be, until you can't think of anything else.

When you first recognize that craving, for an experienced use who's been through some consequences like bad wd, jail, etc I would say to play the whole tape through and realize where the getting high leads to. Fortunately for you, you haven't had things happen yet like waking up dopesick in the county jail. While you may not have a consequences tape to play in your mind, you can still change your thinking. Read something. Watch TV. Go on the Internet to stuff that's non drug related. Call someone just to bullshit. Anything that will keep your brain from feeding the craving.

*snip*

A craving is just that--a few second intense thought. Giving it power by feeding it is where it becomes the issue
All of that is actually really helpful, thanks. I find that not only do I crave it, but any time something bad happens (such as my car breaking down) I use that as an excuse to use, so I'll have to find a way around that as well.

you will never be able to make this a stable habit. Just like we all told you in the original thread. Now that you have found the heroin you have not even began to experience the lows of a heroin addiction. Be prepared for losing all you money, relationships, and hurting your family. Go get help now or start going deeper down the rabbit hole. You just proved to yourself that everything we said is true. Do you really want to risk us being right about the other stuff too?
I know the cravings are powerful and all, but I can't see myself hurting my family intentionally regardless of how bad my addiction gets. I'd probably be homeless before I let myself start doing anything like that. I also don't think I'm at a point where I need to go get help though, I feel like there's a chance I could handle it myself still. Also same thing as the original thread, I can't even imagine what my family would think of me if they found out.

No, the way junkies are portrayed I wouldn't consider myself one.

All of that is actually really helpful, thanks. I find that not only do I crave it, but any time something bad happens (such as my car breaking down) I use that as an excuse to use, so I'll have to find a way around that as well.

I know the cravings are powerful and all, but I can't see myself hurting my family intentionally regardless of how bad my addiction gets. I'd probably be homeless before I let myself start doing anything like that. I also don't think I'm at a point where I need to go get help though, I feel like there's a chance I could handle it myself still. Also same thing as the original thread, I can't even imagine what my family would think of me if they found out.

It sounds to me like you're already a bit of a dope fiend. Not trying to sound like an asshole but it's true, since you will find any reason to use and find ways to justify it to yourself. And no, most people don't hurt their family intentionally but when you're addicted to drugs, the drugs come first over all else. Not all addicts steal from their family but they will eventually find out you're using either way. At least you care enough at this point to admit you may have a problem. If you don't want this to be any more difficult than it already is then go get help, please. It only gets more difficult the further you get into it. Good luck man