• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Any knitters/crocheters on Bluelight?

Hey, Tommy, it should have directions to sew the hat together at the end if it that is what they intended you to do. That would be unusual, though. It will still work but you will have a seam. Your knitting is impeccable for being new to it. My stitches looked like a kindergartener's when I first learned.

I did find a youtube video showing how to knit a hat using straight needles. It's obviously better using the circular needles, but it's good to know that it is possible to knit a hat using straight needles.

Does anybody have any recommendations as far a circular needles go, for knitting a hat? Just for a basic beanie hat.

I don't knit, so I have no answers to your questions- but the pictures look great!!!! :)

@Tommy, I keep forgetting to post this so you have probably moved on, but most of my hat patterns call for 16" circular needles (the size ranges from #4-#8 depending on pattern).

@ Ocean--I can't believe that once I learned to knit I could go years without doing it and not forget how, but my friend has taught me to crochet twice and I have made big shoulder bags so I got lots of practice time but every time I let months go by I forget how to do it all over again! Very frustrating because I never progress not to mention that I feel mentally challenged. :\

My first hat! I did it using straight needles since that is all I have. The decreasing at the top isn't the prettiest, and I had to re-do the seam that connects the two sides, but I'm happy with it. The pattern I used was off in terms of number of stitches and a few other things, so I had to improvise to make it work.

Excuse the little bit of dog hair on it. My beige dog kept on wanting to be pet while I was knitting it.

I did another hat, this time with the circular needles I got for Christmas. Same pattern as my last hat, but I like this one a lot better. I did k2p2 for the bottom, but did k4 once on accident, but it kinda worked out on the bottom as you can see in the center one of the ridges (or whatever you call them) is twice as wide as the others, but it works out and looks like its that way for the front.

I did 52 stitches which is tight on me, so I'm gonna go with 56-60 if I use this yarn again for another hat. The hat looks a little long, but it's actually the perfect length when I put it on, and the top looks odd in this pic, but when it is on and stretched out it looks fine.

Last edited:
^ cool hat tommy, looks nice :)

I so wish I could do this kind of stuff :( I tried to learn how to crochet this summer when I was locked up but never learned it..... All the girls tried to teach me but I was like uh derp. I can't do it. Well anyways my friend is going to teach me soon and how to make a slouchy hat. So I'm excited to learn how to crochet and knit but I doubt ill be succesful.

^ cool hat tommy, looks nice :)

I so wish I could do this kind of stuff :( I tried to learn how to crochet this summer when I was locked up but never learned it..... All the girls tried to teach me but I was like uh derp. I can't do it. Well anyways my friend is going to teach me soon and how to make a slouchy hat. So I'm excited to learn how to crochet and knit but I doubt ill be succesful.

Why do you think I started? :)

i am struggling with my knitting learning purling whatever. i can cast on and then i seize up in terror and can't do anything else. i've been trying to learn everything backwards since i'm left handed and all the diagrams are for righties. PB's mom got me some looms (for no needle knitting) and those are way more left handed friendly, but i'd like to get the needle shit straight.

tommyboy i am mad impressed. where is your homemade giants hat?

Keni, have you looked at youtube vids? When i was learning crochet, i found some of them very helpful - they have a heap of southpaw vids too, for you crazy left-handers <3

Kenicke--I went to the yarn store where I bought yarn and made the lady practically sit over my shoulder until I got it. Then, I continued to go every week while I was making my first sweater and got help all the way through. Now I could knit in my sleep I think!:)
Here are my gifts this year:

I LOVE those beanies - I've decided that i'm going to teach myself to knit when i'm a bit better at crochet. There are some beanies that just look better when they are knitted.

I'll take some photos of the blanket I made for a friend's baby this weekend <3

i am struggling with my knitting learning purling whatever. i can cast on and then i seize up in terror and can't do anything else. i've been trying to learn everything backwards since i'm left handed and all the diagrams are for righties. PB's mom got me some looms (for no needle knitting) and those are way more left handed friendly, but i'd like to get the needle shit straight.

tommyboy i am mad impressed. where is your homemade giants hat?

I should get that done during the week off. Since I'm broke I get someone to buy the yarn and then I make them a hat first. My brother will probably 'sponsor' me unless he's set on me knitting him a Yankee hat. By the way, I'm left handed too, but I don't know how it affects my knitting. All I know is that I prefer to hold the needle (I hate using that word considering this is BL) that has the yarn on it in my left hand, and then transfer the yarn over to the needle in my right. So basically after I cast on to a needle, I hold that in my left, and knit it onto the needle in my right hand, while using the free fingers of my right hand to wrap the yarn between the stitches. Once I finish the row I switch the needle with the stitches back into my left hand.

Keni, have you looked at youtube vids? When i was learning crochet, i found some of them very helpful - they have a heap of southpaw vids too, for you crazy left-handers <3

Youtube videos are great for learning about knitting. The hat I knitted was all from watching youtube videos, and a few tips from my friend over the phone. When I first learned how to knit by this girl, she taught how to knit a scarf, and I was so slow with it that it was all I learned in person since it took me all semester to do. Since then, everything I have learned about knitting has been through youtube videos. I got a knitting book this Christmas, but knitting is definitely something that you need visual and audio aids to help, so I haven't really read much into the book.

Kenicke--I went to the yarn store where I bought yarn and made the lady practically sit over my shoulder until I got it. Then, I continued to go every week while I was making my first sweater and got help all the way through. Now I could knit in my sleep I think!:)
Here are my gifts this year:

Nice! What's the pattern on the one on the top right? The hat I did was just a k2 p2 on the bottom inch or so, and then knit the rest of the way up.
Here is the yarn I have for my next project (if I don't knit a Giants hat first ;) )

I'm going to start off with making a hat, and then maybe some accessories if I can manage. It is medium 4 fishermen's wool. I just checked out the website that is on the paper around the yarn since it said it has 1,200 free knit & crochet patterns, and I am very impressed with the site.

http://www.lionbrand.com/

I clicked on 'patterns' up top, and then 'pattern finder.' From there you can narrow down your search depending on if you want to knit or crochet, what you want to make, the yarn size and material, skill level, and a few others. I just glanced at the site for the first time now, so I don't know if it's really free or if there are some strings attached . ;)

Edit: Looks like you have to sign up, but it's free, and you don't have to subscribe to anything.
From the confirmation email I just got after signing up: "Unless you ask to be added to our mailing list, this is the only e-mail that youmwill receive from us."
That is great because the last knit/crochet pattern site I signed up for sent me so many emails it was ridiculous. It says that there are 4,540 free patterns on the site, which is more than it said on the labeling of the yarn, so they are always adding more.

Last edited:
So Tommy, the two hats that look like your ribbing are in fact ribbing all the way up. It is a knit 2 purl 2 pattern right to the top. The white hat is just stripes of garter stitch and then straight knitting then garter again. If you want either pattern just PM me and I will find them for you.

I love your new wool.:)

Yea I like the wool too. I'm gonna do the lighter one first, but am still deciding on what pattern to use. It's between k2 p2, and k1 p1. I don't know if the k2 p2 ribbing will be wider than I want, which is why I am considering the k1 p1. This yarn isn't as thick as the yarn in my last hat, so maybe k2 p2 stitching won't be too wide.

Can you PM me the pattern for the k2 p2 hat? I'm also going to have to find a pattern for the k1 p1 if I go with that. I wouldn't know how to reduce properly since the only time I did it was with all knit stitches, which I assume is easier to do without messing up the pattern compared to a reducing with knit and purl stitches.

Last edited:
I just learned how to knit! I have made one scarf so far and I'm almost done my second one. The second one, I'm giving it to my boyfriend for his birthday so I have to finish it soon :)

^ Nice! Pics please. :)

The first things I knitted were scarfs too. I just used the knit stitch for the whole thing, which turns out to be the garter stitch I think. It's basic, but I really like the look of it. I've got several that I kinda gave up on and are still on the needle. I think I have only completed 2, but I will probably make another one to go with the hat that I am working on now, so I will have the hat/scarf combo with the same yarn.

I'm about to knit another hat, but would like some advice on how many stitches to cast on. I am using size 10 circular knitting needles, and the yarn size is medium 4. The pattern is Garter stitch, and says to cast on 80 stitches using size 9 needles, but I only have size 10 so I don't know how many less stitches to cast on. Its for an adult male and I measured their head to be between 20-21 inches round.

If I understand the label on this yarn correctly, I think that with size 9 needles, 16 stitches = 4 inches, which would make since because that would mean 80 stitches = 20 inches. I just don't know how this translates over with size 10 needles. Does anybody know how to figure this out? It just need an estimate.

I'm having trouble finding a pattern for knitting a hat in the round using the garter stitch. I know I knit a row, purl a row, and continue alternating like that, but I don't know how to reduce this way. All the patterns I see for hats with garter stitching are for flat knitting, but I would rather knit the hat in the round so I don't have to deal with a seam.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: I ended up doing 72 stitches, but still am unsure about how to reduce later on. I'm thinking I will have to reduce every other row since the pattern comes together every two rows.

Last edited: