• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Anxiety & hallucinations while sober from psychedelic drug use?

HazelCloud

Greenlighter
Hello PD forum,

Recently I've been having mental/emotional issues that I suspect have to do with psychedelic drug use. This use was primarily of the 25x-NBOMe compounds and the JWH-018 & 5F-UR-144 cannabinoids, also cannabis & alcohol (I have tried DXM many times, LSD once, and MDMA twice, which I think are unrelated). I'm fairly new to the research chemical scene, as I just started using them around a half a year ago. I abused 25C and 25B-NBOMe my first month of use, dosing every 1-2 weeks and in increasingly large doses as tolerance built rapidly. I also have social anxiety disorder and ADD, and consider myself a maladaptive perfectionist. Anxiety runs in my family but no other mental disorders that I know of.

Anyways, it all started after I foolishly took 2mg of 25I along with 2-3mg of JWH-018 a couple months ago and had a classic psychedelic crisis; I had no issues prior to that incident other than hallucinating when smoking cannabis which I found positive. The trip was very overwhelming, I experienced heavy time distortion bordering on infinity, paranoia, delusions, ego loss, confusion, and sensory overload. I was in a comfortable environment and admittedly uneasy before dosing. It wasn't *that* bad looking back and I was actually able to pull myself out of the negative thought loop(something is wrong!) 3 hours into the trip with the help of my friend. However, this experience tainted all of my trips thereafter. Even with good set and setting, I found myself experiencing panic and flashbacks on the come up of every trip. This happened every time without fail, and eventually every time around 2-3 hours in I would relax and come to some insights about my anxiety. These insights never successfully carried over into my future trips however. My last NBOMe trip, about 7 weeks ago, I decided that I needed a break from tripping due to previously mentioned mental issues. I kept using synthetic cannabinoids and weed though, about 3-4 days per week, smoking most of the day, sometimes combining them with alcohol.

Previously to this I greatly enjoyed the benefits I got out of my psychedelic use: I suddenly became very creative and able to visualize well, I seemed to process information at a quick rate, I thought very deeply about life and philosophy, and to my surprise my social anxiety reduced drastically. This may be attributable to my very introverted nature, and not the effects of the drug. But I felt that I was definitely gaining something positive out of tripping - particularly spiritually.

Gradually I noticed myself becoming anxious about things I normally wouldn't, for example compulsively checking locks and excessively worrying about my dog's health. My social anxiety remained lowered, but symptoms of OCD and general anxiety began to present themselves which I found odd. To my horror, I found that I was able to make myself hallucinate, at any given moment, by simply thinking about it. This progressed into psychedelic-like hallucinations and a feeling of "unrealism" becoming constantly present. These feelings don't interfere with everyday life but they are annoying and a major source of anxiety for me. They include but aren't limited to: a static overlay over my vision, random bright starbursts and floaters in peripheral vision, light and color trails, slight patterning/morphing, a vague dissociated/anxious feeling, and impaired concentration. I actually remember seeing closed-eye visuals while sober occasionally a few days after my earlier trips, but nothing on the scale of what I have now. This prompted me to quit all cannabinoid consumption which was a little less than 2 weeks ago (I have been a frequent cannabis and cannabinoid user for 3 years, not stopping for more than a week or two). The withdrawal symptoms are insomnia, decreased appetite, depression and anxiety, so it is hard to determine whether my symptoms are a result of cannabinoids or something else since I haven't been off of it long enough. Unfortunately, the anxiety also includes a negative association with drugs, and has impaired my ability to enjoy any drugs at all which is deeply disheartening to me. Even anxiolytic drugs like opiods and alcohol cause me pre-trip anxiety before they kick in which I believe stems from a fear of loss of control.

So my question is, how do I reduce or get rid of these symptoms so I am able to continue tripping again? I've never had any problems with drugs ever like this, especially psychedelic drugs. I used to view them as a sacrament, and would never even consider the possibility of a negative experience before the trip. I'm deeply nostalgic about the times when I was able to enjoy them without issues. My own opinion on the issue is that my anxiety is functioning as some sort of positive feedback loop, looking for negative symptoms and confirming their presence prematurely which causes me to look for them etc. I've long been dependant on cannabinoids in order to reduce stress but I am ready to give them up if necessary. It's the inability to enjoy the occasional spiritual trip that devastates me. I try to think logically about drugs and realize I'd never actually lose control permanently, but the anxious side of my brain seems to overwhelm my rationality every time.

What you refer to is HPPD. I usually feel it to a certain degree. I never experienced such anxiety, apart from periods of psychotic break. However, I do often have visuals. I can't zone out on a pattern, texture, or say blank, white wall for long than 1-2mins w/o first movement then (not always)fractals occurring. It is ,ost pronounced for a few weeks following a heavy trip. IDK how to correct it, as I have never tried. I appreciate the "freebie", and have even learned to acount for swaying when say measuring somethimg or w/e. Though a slight annoyance comes due to my massive dissociative usage...I can not really see in the dark, shadows any further than 6 (or so) feet ahead of me blur or form shapes (animals, people, objects).

So does this mean I can't use psychedelics anymore? I honestly don't mind the visuals themselves it's the anxiety I'm experiencing along with it. I don't know if I can blame the cannabioids as the cause but I have a feeling it's just me. It might just come down to managing my anxiety with coping techniques and having benzos before a trip then.

I had somewhat persistant hallucinations while sober after using meth. I used it on a daily basis. Only smoked during this time, but anyway... when high or not high I would often hallucinate seeing smoke. Like smoke coming from a cigarette... I would just see it coming from people's hands. Like my mom's hand once and she has never smoked a thing in her life. Anyway, this wasn't constant but just once in a while. After being clean from meth for only a few months, these hallucinations went away. Dunno if this relates, I just always found it interesting.

It sounds to me as if the heavier trips have increased the severity of existing illness, if you have already suffered social anxiety. Then again, you wouldnt be the first to suffer lingering unpleasant effects from cannabinoids & I would seriously recomend you leave them alone.

I'd cut back on the tripping for awhile & see how you go. I would think carefully about taking any strong trips for awhile.

Best of luck!

So my question is, how do I reduce or get rid of these symptoms so I am able to continue tripping again?

Well no one can really tell you that. Even with LSD not much is known about HPPD, you are using nbomes and fake weed, these are pretty damn new. Yes most evidence points towards anxiety making the problem worse. I wouldn't trip again until long after the symptoms are gone, and even then I probably wouldn't. Stop smoking weed or synth weed. Get exercise and meditate. If you recover and decide to start again, go with small doses. It wouldn't surprise me if the nbomes caused more HPPD then say mushrooms either, just based on how many people are reporting it here recently. I quit tripping for years its no big deal it will still be there when you come back.

It sounds to me as if the heavier trips have increased the severity of existing illness, if you have already suffered social anxiety. Then again, you wouldnt be the first to suffer lingering unpleasant effects from cannabinoids & I would seriously recomend you leave them alone.

I'd cut back on the tripping for awhile & see how you go. I would think carefully about taking any strong trips for awhile.

This was my fear. It saddens me to think about it, but removing psychedelics from my life leaves a big black hole. Maybe that's part of why this is happening; my trips are showing me my problems head on so I can't deny them anymore. On my complete mindfuck trip, I realized that I was addicted, my grades were still low, I was still struggling with relationships, and that my anxiety continues to control me, which came as a huge shock.

Even with LSD not much is known about HPPD, you are using nbomes and fake weed, these are pretty damn new. Yes most evidence points towards anxiety making the problem worse. I wouldn't trip again until long after the symptoms are gone, and even then I probably wouldn't. Stop smoking weed or synth weed. Get exercise and meditate. If you recover and decide to start again, go with small doses. It wouldn't surprise me if the nbomes caused more HPPD then say mushrooms either, just based on how many people are reporting it here recently. I quit tripping for years its no big deal it will still be there when you come back.

Yep, looks like it's time to finally turn my life around. Most reports I read about HPPD don't mention anxiety associated with it, so my anxiety specifically is probably playing into that. I considered taking anxiolytics while dosing but that would just be avoiding the problem(something I do too often, and is ironically the source of my problems). For some reason quitting drugs altogether causes me great fear - although telling myself that I don't have to stop FOREVER helps, just that I need to take a long break. One of my main insecurities is about my social relationships because they are non-existent, another that I live a sedentary lifestyle due to being in the house 24/7. Definitely some things to work on.

has anyone ever gotten HPPD from mushrooms or ayahuasca or anything plant-based? or is it only from chems?

Give up the weed man and see how you change. You shouldn't take psychedelics until you are feeling healthy again. After a 3 year regular habit, I'd give yourself a good few months before starting to worry (or not worry) - I have experienced a much worse form of this anxiety, than re-checking locks due to extreme cannabis abuse alone and I found that it slowly goes away after a long while of total abstinence. Since THC is fat soluble, it can affect you for a long while so that could be it, only one way to find out.

Looks like cannabinoids definitely played a major part in my symptoms. It's been over 2 weeks since I last smoked weed and I noticed a significant improvement in my overall anxiety levels, however they still disrupt my life. I noticed the OCD and GAD-like symptoms started fading away while my social anxiety remains an issue. I also found I think less about whether my senses are "real" or "fake" and as a result I hallucinate less often. Even while on stimulants I have much less anxiety. For example, I only had 1 minor panic attack on a ritalin binge a few days ago (normally I would have 4-5 panic attacks over the course of one weekend while binging on cannabinoids). I know taking stims probably isn't the best idea considering my situation but they help me overcome ADD bigtime.

Last edited:
has anyone ever gotten HPPD from mushrooms or ayahuasca or anything plant-based? or is it only from chems?

Plants contain 'chems'. Do you believe that 4-hydroxy-tryptamine from a chemist would cause HPPD but the same chemical from a plant wouldn't?

The natural=good/synthetic=bad distinction has no basis in fact. The most potent poisons in the world come from plants, animals, fungi and bacteria.

I agree with infectious, it definatelly sounds like hppd and the static vision you described along with the feelings of depersonalization and derealization are common symptoms of the disorder. There is a website called hppdonline dot org I belive maybe dot com, I cant quite remember but it has a ton of info on hppd and support groups and stuff pertaining to hppd. You know for some it never goes away but it did for me. But I had to give up the psychs and the weed and jwh for almost a year for everything to go away completely. Best of luck to you.

You seem to be suggesting that you're still using cannabis. You should probably stop that. Personally, I would definitely at least cut out the RC cannabinoids, and just stick with the original stuff, if you are dead set on using weed. The problem with a lot of the artificial cannabinoids is that they each have their own 'personalities', so to speak, and we don't have a huge sample of user experiences to correctly identify those that are particularly likely to induce anxiety. At least with old-school 'real' weed, there has been such a huge history of such wide recreational use that we know it can give some people anxiety and panic attacks if not used with care, or if used too often or in overly high doses. We also know that, generally, cannabis-induced psychoses do fade over time. However, this is not the case for everyone, and for some people, particularly if they are young, with per-existing (even if latent) mental health problems, cannabis can be the straw that breaks the camel's back and situates the person firmly in the realm of the mentally unwell, sometimes for life (though this is rarer than scaremongers would have you believe, it does actually happen, and is not total myth). If you simply must keep using the green, use it in small doses, wait for the effects to reach their peak before toking more, and set yourself a limit on how much you can smoke, how often, and where.

You say you have social anxiety, and that your anxiety has become much worse. Are you on any other medication for these symptoms? Consider the possibility of interaction between any medication you are taking, and recreational drugs, including the cannabinoids. Also, if you are on non-recreational medication and it has changed recently, do check the information leaflet to make sure it hasn't been linked with any OCD/anxiety/depersonalisation, as even legitimate meds can have weird side-effects. For example, the ritalin for your ADD could potentially make all these symptoms worse. You should talk to your healthcare provider about that, if you can, as they will know better than I.

Don't think about trying to trip again just yet. It really, really is not time. Put it out of your head as best you can. You're going to want to wait a good few months, at least, probably longer. You certainly shouldn't be using until you feel completely back to normal. When and if you do decide to use again, I'd probably opt for a different psychedelic, not because I have any knowledge about that being better for you neurologically, but just because you don't want the psychological associations from this bad period carrying into any kind of trip.

Ritalin can contribute to major panic attacks, as it sounds like you know. I hope you also know that this increased likelihood of panic attacks carries on for a while after the noticeable effects of the ritalin have worn off. I'm curious, why are you going on ritalin binges if you know how badly it can affect you? Aren't there drugs you'd enjoy more? Do you take daily ritalin for ADD, and then go on binges *on top* of that?

As to the symptoms of ongoing hallucinations, I wouldn't worry too much. As others have said, this is quite common with abuse of psychedelics and is referred to as HPPD. I can actually always induce mild visual hallucinations, if I want - just wiggling of lines and pulsating walls and whatnot. I've been able to do that since I did my first binge on cannabis as a teenager, many moons ago (first time, 8 king blunts to myself, burnt my brain out in every direction). Even if I don't take anything for ages, my brain just seems to remember how to interpret and view things in this way. It is not a dangerous symptom, or anything to cause yourself serious panic over, but a sign that your poor body is a bit burnt out. After all, there is surely a reason why our brains didn't evolve to let us always possess the seemingly superior wisdom and see the overwhelming beauty that can be accessed via the psychedelics. Whichever way you look at the human relationship with drugs, our brains are not strong enough (I hesitate to use that phrasing, but cannot think of anything more suitable) to handle the psychedelic world-view full time.

It sounds like you are really determined to take drugs, like they are a big part of your life. I don't have a problem with that, I'm the same, but if you aren't going to take a proper break, then you need to find a way to enjoy drugs which minimally inhibits your recovery. Is there some other drug(s) that you enjoy which is not psychedelic? I know that they have previously been good to you, and so you love them, but it's time for you to be good to them and put them to one side, before you risk losing them (and their benefits) forever.

Also, not for nothing, but I'd be taking a good quality multivitamin/multimineral every day, and ensuring a good diet, plenty of fresh air and 8+ hours of sleep a night. Treat yourself like you are your own patient, be gentle with yourself.

The OCD-like symptoms are also strongly associated with cannabis. If you go online and do some Googling around OCD cognitive behavioral therapy, or self-help for compulsive behavior, you will probably find some free resources, which may well help.

You seem to be suggesting that you're still using cannabis. You should probably stop that. Personally, I would definitely at least cut out the RC cannabinoids, and just stick with the original stuff, if you are dead set on using weed.
Where have I suggested I am still using cannabinoids? I stopped, and stuck with my decision, which was 4 weeks ago. My anxiety is reduced but hallucinations are still common. If I return to them in the far future it will be natural cannabis.

You say you have social anxiety, and that your anxiety has become much worse. Are you on any other medication for these symptoms? Consider the possibility of interaction between any medication you are taking, and recreational drugs, including the cannabinoids.
I am not on medication for anxiety. I'm prescribed 5mg IR ritalin pills to use as needed (for studying) which I started a month ago. They really help with my ADD which is actually a source of anxiety for me.

Ritalin can contribute to major panic attacks, as it sounds like you know. I hope you also know that this increased likelihood of panic attacks carries on for a while after the noticeable effects of the ritalin have worn off. I'm curious, why are you going on ritalin binges if you know how badly it can affect you? Aren't there drugs you'd enjoy more? Do you take daily ritalin for ADD, and then go on binges *on top* of that?
I take small doses on an as needed basis, and yes I am aware of all of this. The dilemma that presents itself is that my anxiety and ADD are so bad I can literally not get work done while sober because I associate schoolwork with panic & anxiety. While I don't want to worsen my condition, I don't want to get failing grades either. So it really is a tradeoff. I also end up binging when taking ritalin too early in the day because I continue to dose to avoid the crash. This can be remedied with a medication switch or simply taking it later, however. (Sleeping is a good way to avoid the crash, otherwise I'm tempted to redose)

It sounds like you are really determined to take drugs, like they are a big part of your life. I don't have a problem with that, I'm the same, but if you aren't going to take a proper break, then you need to find a way to enjoy drugs which minimally inhibits your recovery. Is there some other drug(s) that you enjoy which is not psychedelic?
Yes, but most stimulants and psychedelics give me anxiety (the fun ones!). I have considered dissociatives, which I've heard don't cause as much anxiety as psychedelics, but still allow you to trip. I used to love DXM, but stopped when I couldn't handle choking that nasty syrup anymore. Would these in theory be easier to handle? Depressants are completely anxiety-free, but aside from alcohol I find them boring and try to avoid opiods due to their addictiveness.

The OCD-like symptoms are also strongly associated with cannabis. If you go online and do some Googling around OCD cognitive behavioral therapy, or self-help for compulsive behavior, you will probably find some free resources, which may well help.
I have a CBD therapist I work with once a week for anxiety. However, I have not told her about my drug-induced anxiety. "Hey, I just wanted to let you know I took a bunch of drugs and now I hallucinate and have panic attacks while sober!" haha. I could just be overanalyzing the situation but I have told her that I've been experiencing OCD and GAD symptoms without actually explaining the cause.

In regards to DXM; It can be both an anxiety-suppresser or inducer, set/setting still applies, and especially dose matters. I'd reccommend staying low 3rd plateau or below. I've always had social anxiety, but find dissociatives keep it at bay. Best while on it, of course, doses >900mg, but beneficial effects can last up to 2wks. As for HPPD, I feel like DXM is the main cause of mine. I've maybe tripped it 300-500 times, RC psych and dissociatives maybe up to 100 times, and street hallucinogens (LSD, shrooms, K, etc) maybe 50 times. Before I ever really tripped off anything else, I had HPPD, though less visual, more mental and body type, like a light (250mg) DXM trip at the most. Psychs definitely increased the visual effects. However, I can not see 10ft in front of me at night, if walking in middle of road, often can't see the edge, and I got 20/20 vision normally.

My HPPD is definitely from tryptamines. I suspect 5-MeO-AMT because of the fact I get the same weird head feeling that I got from 5-MeO-AMT when they come on and the visuals that emerge are very reminiscent of the distinct visuals of that drug. I took DXM more than any other drug but its definitely tryptamine HPPD.

Curiously, I have been known to have a panic attack when the HPPD is coming on but honestly I have just gotten used to it - it feels exactly like the come up of 5-MeO-AMT, DMT, or 5-MeO-DMT - an abrupt increase in heart rate and blood pressure before it settles down into a really weird head buzz.

I haven't had any drugs in over 2 years except alcohol, benzos, and my maintenance Delsym dose for the last month and a half (5-10mL a day) and it still happens occasionally. I'd say every week or so I'll get an intense bout where I actually see the trademark neon magenta scattered patterns and I have constant low-grade tracers.

The hallucinations that you experience are not necessarily signs that you have damaged your brain. You simply have become familiar enough with that state that your mind unconsciously knows how to go back there visually. I wouldn't worry about that too much, it isn't like your hearing voices or something of that sort. Your "hallucinations" sound more like a mild form of perceptual changes caused by psychoactive drugs. However, the anxiety probably had something to do with your drug use and if you keep smoking pot it will probably continue. At least take a very long break from any drug use, including weed and don't drink too much either because if you have anxiety issues you might start using it like a crutch. Also, as your probably aware of, pot can bring back a low level of the psychadelic state in those who have used psychadelic drugs a good bit in the past. Not that you will trip balls off of weed now, but you might experience a subtle "trip" along with regular weed euphoria it now when you smoke it since you have done quite a bit of other drugs. Weed probably isn't the same drug for you as it was before. So, if your already anxious before smoking it could be making you more anxious, causing your anxiety to spiral and spiral further

Last edited:
I would recommend staying away from cannabinoids for as long as possible. As for dissociatives...they do not cause any anxiety in my experience, but the CAN be moreish, and considering your overindulgence into NBOMes and a tendence to redose on ritalin, I would be very, very cautious about using them. They are most certainly addictive, so do not even think about exploring them if you doubt your ability to self-regulate your drug use.

Man..reading just that first paragraph, I can just simply say this..

Stop all of your drug usage and find yourself some HARDCORE Indica marijuana. I am talking, packed with CBD. CBD is being researched as an extremely effective and natural/safe antipsychotic and anecdotal reports from all over support it. it's also healthy for you physically.

You're beating the living shit out of your consciousness man. Work hard on changing your perspective and practice on focusing on things besides drug consumption. Focus on your job, or getting a job, or cleaning, or doing active hobbies, or exercise, see a movie, go out to eat, eat chocolate like a crying school girl.

It sounds like you need to take a break for awhile and get your brain to an equilibrium.

Me and my gf have been getting it a bit when it comes time to go to bed. Getting slightly scary hynopgogic (entering sleep state) stuff - voices and stuff and swooshing. Been sleeping with a very low light on haha. It goes away after a week from usage - but still gives one cause for concern yknow