⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Anthony Bourdain Vs; Andrew Zimmern

poopie said:
i believe tony is so much more into the culture and talking, and he's amazing at what he does. i truly admire him. one of his quotes has been my myspace quote for about a year (what an homage! i know, i'm lame...). i

:) . you're not the only dork. the above vegetarian quote has been my aim profile for at least a year now.

there's an awesome quote in kitchen confidential about choosing a frying pan: " A proper sauté pan, for instance, should cause serious head injury if brought down hard against someone's skull. If you have any doubts about which will dent-the victim's head or your pan-then throw that pan right in the trash."

:)

alasdair

Anthony Bourdain is a personal hero of mine. As a traveler and as a cook, I have looked to his work to see where I have been, where I want to go, and what I was supposed to eat when I got there. I have the Hawaii episode permanently saved on my DVR. I miss that place.

Bourdain uses his words as he used seasonings in his previous life, and he masterfully coordinates his descriptions of place, people, and food to give the viewer an experience that gets them wanting to go beyond the limits of their Sandals resort on St. Croix and see what is going on on the other side of the island. Bourdain eats the great food as well as the strange food.

Zimmern is a fat dork that wanders around, seemingly without purpose, shoving nearly anything available into his face, with only the slightest of descriptions. Everything is "nutty, smoking, (not) gamey, (not) fishy" He needs to explain things using more interesting words and stop repeating himself. Also, the guy seems to have an unhealthy obsession with the color orange.

Bourdain wears black. Bourdain wears a lot of black. Even his Aloha shirt from Hawaii is black. However, black suits him just as much as his sunglasses and cigarettes.

Zimmern wears orange. During the opening credits, you see him wearing an orange chef coat, giving him the appearance of a giant infant in a pumpkin costume. If you watch, he is wearing either orange shorts, an orange shirt, or his orange watch in every episode. Orange is not a color that everyone can pull off, and Zimmern is no exception.

^^True, I really think Andrew trys to take all the spot light from other people. imo, He tries to act all big and bad, like he's the shit for eating those things. dude needs to work a little better with others.. as for anthony, he gets the whole film team shit faced somewhere in indonesia or w,e thats fucking awesome!

Bourdain is great, his book is amazing.

The Hairy Bikers are better than both though.

Last edited:
Bourdain. Absolutely no question. Zimmern is not even in his league - he and his show are incredibly boring. On the other hand, Bourdain entertains the hell out of you and leaves you begging for more.

So Bourdain isn't just my favorite chef, he's probably my favorite TV personality ever.

Since everyone else is quoting him, here I go:

"We were high all the time, sneaking off to the walk-in [refrigerator] at every opportunity to 'conceptualize.' Hardly a decision was made without drugs. Pot, quaaludes, cocaine, LSD, psilocybin mushrooms soaked in honey and used to sweeten tea, Seconal, Tuinal, speed, codeine and, increasingly, heroin, which we'd send a Spanish-speaking busboy over to Alphabet City to get."

We actually have that channle on Filipino Cable, and I enjoy both. Bourdain I actually know though. He is an old head from the LES in Manhattan. When he kicked heroin he got a bit boring but since has loosened up alot. Glad he did not become a teetotalar forever.

Zimmern? Well I of course do not know him but do watch his shtick. Gay Jewish guys eating worms does not do it for me although I did get a kick out of his show on the Philippines. Eating tribal goodies like maggots and that nasty beach slime he ate out of a piece of wood or something on the beach. We all got a kick out of that.

Strange, out labourers and machine operators are Catholic like my wife's family (religion is a huge denominator here) but belong to a totally different tribe, different language, all that. They eat roadkill, as well as puppies, cats, and bats. To my wife's People even eating dog is digusting and so we always get our own little Zimmer show watching them snacking.

Nothing like eating a boiled Fruit Bat wing or rottiseried puppy!

I kinda just feel sorry for Zimmern, I watch him out of pity. He seems like a nice guy but not an entertainer, I mean he doesn't drink or swear as far as I can tell, so why not do every episode of his show in Salt Lake City?

Bourdain on the other hand, I can respect and look up to and respect. What do you do when you stop doing heroin, I once asked myself. Become a total badass, like Anthony Bourdain, was the answer that the Travel channel gave me.

MariaCallas: "Anthony Bourdain's book 'Kitchen Confidential'.": I have not read it but that excerpt you have posted is dead on. I despise vegans as well. I am a Botanist by degree and the whole "Do not eat living things" is retarded. Anytime I hear someone say that I feel like slapping them in the face with a copy "The Secret Life of Plants."

Just because it blinks its eyes does not mean it has a higher or lesser conscious than any other living thing. Vegitarianism for other reasons, I have no problem with per se. To each their own according to taste but to claim it is more ethical makes me want to vomit.

I think bourdain goes over the edge in some of his narratives. Sometimes it feels like I'm watching gray's anatomy... but with food.

I have more fun with Zimmern. The clothes he wears are happier too. I feel happier after watching his show. I can relate to him.

Intelligent television is bad television. Stupify me please. Bourdain's show strikes far too close to reality. I'd prolly have to admit that Bourdain's show is better 'journalism,' but that's not what my TV is for.

Can't resist...this is one of my most favorite passages in his book. :D
(last one..promise)
NSFW:
Thousands of highly prized, relatively expensive striped bass, were, in a rare feeding frenzy, suddenly there for the taking. You had literally only to throw bread on the water, bash the tasty fish on the head with a gaff and then haul them in. They were taking them by the hundreds of pounds. Every restaurant in town was loading up on them, their parking lots, like ours, suddenly a Coleman-lit staging area for scaling, gutting and wrapping operations. We worked for hours with our knives, our hair sparkling with snowflake -like fish scales, scraping, tearing, filleting. At the end of the night's work, I took home a thirty-five pound monster, still twisted with rigor. My roommates were smoking weed when I got back to our little place on the beach and, as often happens on such ocassions, were hungry. We had only the bass, some butter and a lemon to work with, but we cooked that sucker up under the tiny home broiler and served it on aluminum foil, tearing at it with our fingers. There was a bright, moonlit sky now, a mean high tide was lapping at the edges of the house, and as the windows began to shake in their frames, a smell of white spindrift and salt saturated the air as we ate. It was the freshest piece of fish I'd ever eaten, and I don't know if it was due to the dramatic quality the weather was beginning to take on, but it hit me right in the brainpan, a meal that made me feel better about things, made me better for eating it , somehow even smarter, somehow....it was a protein rush to the cortex, a clean, three-ingredient high, eaten with the hands. Could anything be better than that?

That always gets me salivating:D

Zimmern is more about shock value IMO rather than showing the diversity of cultures around the world like Anthony Bourdain. I cant watch Bizarre foods for to long without fealing like im going to dry-heave.

In Kitchen Confidential, Bourdain refers to Amanita Muscaria as a psilocybe mushroom. Take his word with a grain of salt (pun intended nyuck).

hahaha Anthony just chewd some coca leaves haha

Bourdain without a doubt, hands down, no contest.

Kitchen Confidential is the reason I got up this morning.

This thread is a JOKE.

Damn I think you guys just turned me onto a new show :)
Although I'm still Alton Brown all day

Yay Crank that TV set up and adjust dem bunny ears, lol