• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Anthony Bourdain Vs; Andrew Zimmern

Ds

Bluelight Crew
There both pretty cool shows on the travel channel. I really like Anthony Bourdain alot better than Andrew. I guess Anthony has a better personality, and really gets into the culture. So which show do you like?

%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%8B%D1%8B%D1%8B_eng.JPG

Another classic pic response by sad mafioso. I'll bet this is how you communicate in real life, too.

i agree. there's no comparison.

bourdain is able to actually describe how something tastes. his command of the language makes me salivate sometimes.

zimmern just shovels food into his fat mouth and mutters "this is amazing", "oh my god this tastes incredible", etc. it's poor journalism at best and i'm none the wiser for ever watching his show. oh, you ate a beetle? great.

further, bourdain goes beyond the food and examines the culture of the places he's visiting. he makes a real connection with the people who make the food he's eating and he places the food in a context which just makes it all the more interesting and resonant.

comparing them side by side is an insult to bourdain.

alasdair

Bourdain totally owns Zimmern.

Case in point: On one of his episodes, Zimmern couldn't even lift a piece of durian to his lips--this, coming from Mr. Weird Foods. Bourdain scarfed one without comment aside from that it was good and indescribable--next?

alasdairm said:
i agree. there's no comparison.

bourdain is able to actually describe how something tastes. his command of the language makes me salivate sometimes.

further, bourdain goes beyond the food and examines the culture of the places he's visiting. he makes a real connection with the people who make the food he's eating and he places the food in a context which just makes it all the more interesting and resonant.

comparing them side by side is an insult to bourdain.

alasdair

QFT!!!
Me loves anthony bourdain. Getting his a Cooks Tour book soon too (I was quite sad when I had finished Kitchen Confidential!)

Think i may have to pick up Anthony Boudain's Book, well recommended guys?

I actually despise Bourdain, but I like his show better than Zimmern's.
And Zimmern really is too nice of a guy, Bourdain would school him and take him apart.

kitchen confidential was top reading. nasty bits was also pretty entertaining.

i also see no compairison in this battle. bourdain reigns supreme :) .
bourdain put his chops in on the line and now doesn't even refer to himself as a chef anymore since it has been years since he spent a double on the line. that gets big points from me. he's irreverent and crude. he has an amazing palate, the eloquence to describe the flavors and will pretty much eat anything. in his travel show he seeks out where the locals eat and where the food is more than the big names with big prices. his extreme distaste for vegetarians amuses me more than offends the omnivore i am. i could go on and on about how much i love this man.

His descriptions of things are sometimes poetic and transcendant

harley89 said:
Think i may have to pick up Anthony Boudain's Book, well recommended guys?
i highly recommend 'kitchen confidential'.

alasdair

lol, hell yeah when anthony comes on it's like the best show on tv at that time, when andrew zimmermen come on im like ugh, and check to see how much longer he's going to be on, i hate those andrew zimmemen marathon, like 6-24 hows of andrew zimmern. 4 get that shit!!! So all the way with Anthony. Just love it how he drinks like some fucked up rice wine with chicken eyeballs, and eats a dinner of porcypine, and to finish it off with a cigg!! thats awesome!! Dude Anthony's been like kidnaped by a whole country, and they had to shoot the show in a ghetto hotel in where ever it was.. now thats some shit! Crazy shit when anthony goes to inda I belive, and takes some kind of marijuana or some drug, and passes out in the desert wakin up with a red dot on his head and wearing a white robe. thats awesome!

ahh, see, i think you all are comparing apples to oranges.

i believe tony is so much more into the culture and talking, and he's amazing at what he does. i truly admire him. one of his quotes has been my myspace quote for about a year (what an homage! i know, i'm lame...). i don't think he intended to ever limit himself to the food of these exotic locales (hell, remember the lebanon/syria episode?!). it seems like food is just a hmm...garnish for his show (wow, that was bad).

andrew does an excellent job at describing the foods! his descriptions are much more literal though, but still sometimes leave you grasping. andrew highlights the culture, but i don't think that's where he wants his focus to be- his show is truly about "bizarre foods" for a reason. i think he's cool (in that kinda dorky way).

a couple of things to add: i liked when zimmern had tony on his show (or what it vice versa?). unfortunately, i don't think bourdain is a the biggest fan of andrew and his show. ah well. there was a lot of potential for that episode.

anyone catch bourdain's latest show? i caught a couple of snippets, and i think in a couple of episodes it will be good. he just seemed like he was really forcing that conversation.

alasdairm said:
i highly recommend 'kitchen confidential'.

alasdair

Yeah. Excerpt :
"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold. Oh, I'll accommodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them, for a 'vegetarian plate', if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine."

:D