View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

An Uphill Struggle for the New "Super" Painkiller

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
http://www.thefix.com/content/zohydro-FDA-oxy-epidemic-painkiller8052

Sacha Z. Scoblic said:
New York Senator Charles Schumer calls it a “powerful super drug…[that would] instantly become the most sought-after drug by addicts and criminals." The media has dubbed it a “super painkiller.” Lewis Nelson, a toxicologist at New York University’s Langone Medical Center, says that it “has the potential to be OxyContin all over again.” And last Friday, an FDA's advisory committee resoundingly voted against its approval.

What is it? Commercially known as Zohydro ER, it is pure, extended-release hydrocodone. Vicodin, the best-selling hydrocodone-based drug, is not “pure” as it also contains acetaminophen. Currently, both OxyContin and Vicodin have the dubious distinctions of being the nation's first- and second-most abused prescription drugs, respectively. And Zohydro, the new “super drug,” is up to 10 times more hydrocodone than Vicodin.

The FDA is expected to make a final decision about whether to OK Zohydro for market by March, after considering the advisory committee’s stance. Zogenix, the company that makes Zohydro, meanwhile, stands to make up to $500 million in annual sales from its baby over the new few years according to Wall Street analysts. (It will lose even more in development costs if the drug is dumped for good.) Until then, the outcry—which contends that the experimental painkiller is unnecessarily strong and just plain unnecessary—is likely to continue.

The headlines say it all: “Schumer Warns Of ‘Super Drug’ 10X More Powerful Than Vicodin”; “Warnings Over New Painkiller ‘Super Drug’”; “Schumer Rails Against FDA Testing Of Super-Potent Painkillers.” But what the headlines almost never get right is that Zohydro is a slow-release formulation. Thus, although Zohydro is 10 times stronger than the lowest dose of Vicodin—not the highest—it also lasts about four times longer. Its 12-hour duration is Zohydro’s added value to the painkiller market. A drug that releases its active ingredient over 12 hours is necessarily stronger than a drug like Vicodin, which only lasts three to four hours.

Zohydro offers addicts a dose of purer hydrocodone—and more of it—than they have ever had access to before.

The problem is that its “extended release” is effective only when taken as prescribed. If crushed and snorted (or dissolved and injected), the effect is immediate. So Zohydro offers addicts, would-be addicts, and wily or just unsuspecting teenagers a dose of purer hydrocodone—and more of it—than they have ever had access to before. In other words, one of the most widely abused drugs of all time now comes in a more potent form—arguably, that makes it unnecessarily strong.

Whether Zohydro is necessary is a trickier question. “I have a big concern that this could be the next OxyContin. We just don’t need this on the market,” says April Rovero, president of the National Coalition Against Prescription Drug Abuse. But the danger of potential abuse must be weighed against proponents' claim that it is a much-needed benefit for many pain patients. Zohydro’s 12-hour longevity, they say, is an effective way for chronic pain sufferers to avoid taking multiple doses throughout the day—and to avoid having to wake up at night to dose. Plus, because Zohydro does not contain acetaminophen, it is easier on the liver than Vicodin, which for long-term users is a big boon. But as one FDA advisory panelist pointed out last Friday, it isn’t clear how big the acetaminophen-intolerance patient numbers really are.

Most members of the FDA advisory panel were doubtful that the benefit to this narrow cohort of pain-sufferers is worth the risk of abuse. The drug's potential long-term side effects, particularly on neurological function, were also questioned, and the panel dismissed Zogenix’s 12-week studies as much too short to settle this question. If approved, Zohydro will likely be prescribed—at least officially—to manage chronic pain (as opposed to the acute, immediate pain that comes after, say, surgery). "Zohydro will probably be a lifetime prescription,” said one advisory panelist. "There is currently no long-term understanding of efficacy.…Are we doing more harm than good?”

An even bigger problem with Zohydro is that—regardless of strength or necessity—it is almost absurdly easy to abuse. Zogenix has no plans to make the drug crush proof. Given that the only other extended-release opioid, OxyContin ER, saw significant drops in rates of abuse after the capsules were made tamper-resistant—all without decreasing its effectiveness—it seems a no-brainer that Zogenix should have developed an abuse-resistant Zohydro. In the face of the media frenzy over the so-called Oxy Epidemic, what were they thinking?

One reason that they didn't is that they didn’t have to. Currently the FDA's risk-management measures for painkillers do not apply to tamper-proof formulations. Thus, Zogenix is in compliance with FDA safety strategies—which essentially amount to zealous education efforts for clinicians and patients—while still marketing a 50 mg hydrocodone pill that can be snorted or shot up. “[The FDA's risk-management measures] educate parents, not thieves,” one advisory panelist said.

Zogenix asserts that tamper-resistant formulations have “issues,” citing only a list of boilerplate problems associated with many common drugs. For example, the company says that crush-proof formulations include risks of “choking” and “intestinal obstruction" also linked to OxyContin ER—neither prevented it from coming to market.

Most members of the FDA advisory panel were doubtful that the benefit of Zohydro is worth the risk of abuse.

Zogenix also claims that tamper-resistant versions diminish efficacy. I asked a Zogenix rep for evidence to support that claim. Rather than offering data from a clinical study, the firm steered me to anecdotes reported on a Phoenix, Arizona, TV news affiliate website—about the diminished effects of tamper-proof OxyContin ER. Yet in the same article, James Heins, a rep for Purdue Pharma, the maker of OxyContin, says that its abuse-proof formulation is “bioequivalent to the original version” and “performs similarly to the original version.”

The actual addictiveness of opiate painkillers is markedly smaller than is typically portrayed by high-pitched media reports. "Fewer than 5% of patients who are prescribed narcotics to treat chronic pain become addicted to the drugs, according to a new analysis of past research,” a Reuters Health story reported last month. "The finding suggests that concerns about the risk of becoming addicted to prescription painkillers might be ‘overblown.’” Or is it? According to a Los Angeles Times investigation released the same week as the Reuter's piece, “prescription-drug overdoses now claim more lives than heroin and cocaine combined, fueling a doubling of drug-related deaths in the United States over the last decade.” And the report wasn’t only looking at illegal use of the drugs: “Authorities have failed to recognize how often people overdose on medications prescribed for them by their doctors.” The one fact no one disputes is that these painkillers, notwithstanding their benefits, are taking a grave toll on our nation's public health.

Hydrocodone may in fact be even more addictive than generally thought. Because current hydrocodone-based drugs are Schedule III drugs (due to the fact that they include acetaminophen), they are supposed to be less prone to abuse and addictiveness than the Schedule II oxycodone-based drugs. But Dr. Sharon Walsh of the Center for Drug and Alcohol Research at the University of Kentucky presented data at last Friday's FDA hearing showing that current hydrocodone-based drugs are actually milligram-for-milligram only slightly less potent than oxycodone, raising the question whether Vicodin and its copycats really merit a Schedule III status.

Zohydro—a pure drug whose potency may be on a par with oxycodone—would likely be labeled Schedule II. Yet there is some evidence that Zohydro's potential abuse risk may be as great as, if not greater than, that of oxycodone. Information from the Drug Abuse Warning Network, presented by Rajdeep Gill of the FDA epidemiology department, shows that the abuse ratio of OxyContin ER is three to four times higher than combination-oxycodone products. Because Zohydro is 100% hydrocodone, it stands a chance of becoming the drug of choice among opioid addicts.

Zohydro's chances of making it to market in 2013 look worse by the day. Although the advisory committee’s 11-to-2 vote against approval is only a recommendation, the FDA rarely goes against its own handpicked advisors. Dr. Bob Rappaport, director of anesthesia, analgesia and addiction products at the FDA, pushed the panelists to distinguish between Zohydro and other opiates lest they be seen as “punishing this company and this drug because of the sins of other companies and their product." At the same time, however, the emergence of the Oxy Epidemic over the last decade is likely to trump this innocent-until-proven-guilty doctrine. As one advisor put it, approving a new opioid without tamper resistance would be opening a public health “Pandora’s Box.”

Why do I think this drug will be a good thing: the apap in vidodin and norco formulations is really fucking dangerous. And, honestly, even with my dumbass opioid-wanna-fiends in college who liked snorting percocets, who really gets high from sniffing or smoking hydrococone? As far as I understand it's BA this roa do jack, even for an opioid naive individual. And isn't injecting hydrococone really dangerous (like much more dangerous than heroin due to a potentially deadly histamine reaction)? Like how injecting codeine is super dangerous?

I mean, yea, I'm a bupe maint patient. I get it, people are scared. Yea, vicodin was what got me to love, at first, opioids. From a harm reduction standpoint, not letting this through is way more dangerous though - I don't even want to tell you how much apap I've ingested just to get 20-30mg of hydrocodone. For most folks who have developed a serious taste or habit for opioids though, hydrocodone just isn't strong enough to do much of anything (I've detoxed off PPT, a 4-6 pod/day 40 day long habit, before I started hydrocodone would get me high, but after 80mg wouldn't even get rid of the PPT w/d, which sucked btw). And it's not like this is going to kick vicodin preperations off the market, at least any time - like in the next decade - off the market.

This just pisses me off... :!:X

Last edited by a moderator:
wow lots of new drugs out there somehowi missed the appearance of exalgo, time release hydromorphone.

but this zohydro im sure will be popular for a minute but i doubt all the junkies and oxy addicts are going to give it up for this. Plus ive always been under the impression shooting hydro can cause a life threatening histamine response.

Overall, it seems like the needs of people in pain are taking a back seat to fearmongering.

“I have a big concern that this could be the next OxyContin. We just don’t need this on the market,” says April Rovero, president of the National Coalition Against Prescription Drug Abuse.

Does anyone else see a potential conflict here? Should we really trust this person to give us an informed, balanced opinion about the dangers of the new drug? Is there any chance that she might be biased?

The company didn't make the pills crush-proof - why not? They want the recreational users' business.

of course they do, is silly and ignorant to think they're unaware of / do not have vested interests in diverted opiate pill markets. would be interested to hear what % is diversion rate, anyone know?

and i highly doubt this will affect the hardcore scene, may only boost "introductory opiate" scene but even there i doubt it'll have much/any practical impact. As far as stronger users, oxy and diluadid will not be usurped by hydro unless they're making giant preparations (a 30mg oxycodone IR would be equivalent to ~45mg hydrocodone IR. Unless pure hydro is just crushing it on price, which i doubt, this product will have little/no effect on total diversion)

the only reason I could see hydrocodone becoming popular is if people discover the (mumble mumble) procedure for turning it to hydromorphone in high yield. then expect a similar set up to the pop bottle meth labs, except this time people making super heroin.

of course people will likely use *any* opiate they can get their hands on... ban one and they will use another...

i don't see that happening at this point in time (not due to lack of knowledge, because yes as you say it is straightforward enough to make wayyy stronger semi-synthetics starting from hydro, but because the current offerings are strong enough to dissuade against that for many. with meth, it's not like pseudo is useful on its own in similar ways; although iirc some ppl are getting crazy yields of potent stuff [hydromorphone from vico i think? and oxymorphone from oxy], and yes there are markets for those stronger opiates, but those markets are for stamped pills and raw powders aren't a significant part of market for these chems. Do not know enough to comment if ppl are yielding cheaply enough to where the idea of it being a heroin cut/imitation; also, silkroad as a mechanism DOES allow things like raw powders to enter market in somewhat reliable fashion..definitely expect opiates to keep on the cheaper/stronger track, like everything else will)

50mg of hydrocodone? thats it? We already have 30mg oxycodone IRs, thats basically the same potency, and you can't even shoot hydrocodone. This is a bunch of paranoid hype in my opinion. This being released will change nothing, I would take an oxy 30 that I can IV over a 50mg hydro any day.

50mg hydro would be like 36mg oxy (why can't you shoot hydro? just curious i never heard that. you aren't referring to "vicodin" which is hydro+apap are you? Cuz this is about an unmixed hydro product)

see this: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/186558-Injecting-Hydrocodone?p=2803908&viewfull=1#post2803908

as far as I understand it, hydrocodone's situation, in terms of IV, is similar to codeine as in it's possible to be injected, if won't necessarily cause death, but it is a very real possibility - and the high is garabage. I know this is true regarding oxycodone, but I do have a feeling that injecting hydrocodone doesn't provide with a BA that is radically higher than oral use (in other words, given high oral BA injecting won't make as much of a difference in effect as would injecting heroin versus eating heroin). But main reason you should do it is you'd probably end up dead (especially if you make a habit of it). And that's assuming you have pure lab grade hydrocodone and/or do a near perfect extraction (CWE+wheel filter+something else). And even then, you'll experience an extremely uncomfortable histamine reaction. Mind you, I haven't done this, and all my ranting here is from second hand knowledge. But there is literally no reason you should be shooting hydrocone, regardless of purity or desperation. There are so many other alternatives that are infinitely safer someone needed to get fucked up that bad.

^that's NOT true regarding oxycodone, oxy can be and is IV'd incredibly simply, effectively and, relatively speaking, safely.

Also, re BA, BA=100% on injected compounds that're active (ie not pro-drugs themselves)

okay, yea I did get a little ahead of myself regarding that comment about oxy. but I think you understood my point - while the BA of IV oxycodone is 100%, the oral BA is also very high (maybe not 100%, but much more so than the disparity between IV and Oral Morphine or Heroin). So in the sense that injecting heroin is radically different than eating it, mg for mg, injecting oxycodone isn't radically different than eating it, given oxy's high oral ba relative to heroin.

And, to be frank, we might have somewhat different standard - while I agree that oxycodone can be IV'd relatively simply and effective, imho injecting pills is something that is anathema for me. The only situation it isn't is when a proper extraction is done (i.e. barrel/wheel filter), but even then, given that most people I've met don't even do this, I'm hard pressed to say it's safe even compared to street dope, even if it is in many cases. So I guess I'm somewhat biases, but then again I never really was a fan of the needle, despite a history of IM/IVing certain drugs.

How about the worlds most sought after for people in PAIN?? Ya doo-gooders that care not one whit what other people a suffering.
Tell you what, I'll trade my morning for yours, K?
I wake up from a nightmare that someone (mostly my wife) is standing over me with a baseball bat she isnt hitting my knees at the time, but the pain hurts so bad I want to vomit, I ask her if she hit me and she says it's for my own good.as soon as I move my leg it REALLY feels like she took a couple of whacks.
I open my eyes and find no-one in the room with me.
I roll over to get my legs on the flo0or, stand up and sit back down.
The start of a good day.
I take 5-6 methadone 10 mg pills, hopping they work today. Shuffle to the bathroom and try an have a BM, it works today but have to use a plastic knife to cut it into smaller pieces so's to not clog the pipes.
And all that before getting into a shower.
I doubt the hand wringers would last 10 seconds in my world.
And I may be able to get something that can help?
I dont care what the people with noses who like to stick it were it isnt welcomed because they thing their drivel is important (hint to the self proclaimed "helpers" you are HURTING people spreading lies!) . I'm going to ask for it. and hope to educate the brainwashed: lord give me strength "Hare Krishna Hare Krishna"

hydrocodone was always like a nice silver medal compared to oxy imo but if it was able to be manipulated like oxy, well id certainly want to check it out

How about the worlds most sought after for people in PAIN?? Ya doo-gooders that care not one whit what other people a suffering.
Tell you what, I'll trade my morning for yours, K?
I wake up from a nightmare that someone (mostly my wife) is standing over me with a baseball bat she isnt hitting my knees at the time, but the pain hurts so bad I want to vomit, I ask her if she hit me and she says it's for my own good.as soon as I move my leg it REALLY feels like she took a couple of whacks.
I open my eyes and find no-one in the room with me.
I roll over to get my legs on the flo0or, stand up and sit back down.
The start of a good day.
I take 5-6 methadone 10 mg pills, hopping they work today. Shuffle to the bathroom and try an have a BM, it works today but have to use a plastic knife to cut it into smaller pieces so's to not clog the pipes.
And all that before getting into a shower.
I doubt the hand wringers would last 10 seconds in my world.
And I may be able to get something that can help?
I dont care what the people with noses who like to stick it were it isnt welcomed because they thing their drivel is important (hint to the self proclaimed "helpers" you are HURTING people spreading lies!) . I'm going to ask for it. and hope to educate the brainwashed: lord give me strength "Hare Krishna Hare Krishna"
Worst thread-bump of all time?

Maybe not the best but far more interesting than your one lined stupidity.

'interesting'.. that's one way to put it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not affecting my heroin in any matter...

People fail to realize that your suffering has been tapped into for it's business potential...

This means, the business is going to do whatever it has to to win. This includes fucking you over... Leaving you in a pit of your own diarrhea and piss going through WDs or inadequate pain relief... or plagued by a grip of addiction.

Money is the struggle between good and evil.

But, all in all... I'd say fuck it. Sign me up.

I'm purifying the hydrocodone if it ever gets into my hands...

That has to be one of the most ridiculous, scare-mongering, hysterical articles on opioids I've ever read. Dafuq? People without any understanding of drugs should not ever be allowed to write about them.

It's incredibly easy to turn codeine into morphine, and almost nobody does it, do we honestly think your random addict is going to be able to turn hydro into dillie in a safe form for injection? Hell no.

If someone offered to sell me these at current vic prices I'd laugh my ass off. For real? People with a heroin addiction would need LOTS of these to feel anything, and with current prescribing protocols it's not going to be very common anyway.

What the fuck ever with this article.