An interesting attempt at fraud

captainballs

Bluelighter
Introduction
I want to post the rather interesting and layered emails I've been receiving, which are part of a simple (yet elaborately sold) example of fraud, that some people may not be aware of.

It is interesting that I have received these emails a couple years after watching a dateline special that outlines the mechanism of this fraud. The basic mechanism is as follows: give me money so that I can give you the larger amount of money. But the way in which the scheme is marketed is quite interesting and hardly obvious at first unless you can spot it from hello, like I could. It starts so benign to the untrained eye.

Given the trend that the emails follow (I have baited the emailer with simple messages such as "go ahead" and "continue" out of sheer academic curiosity as to the tactics used), a desperate person in need of cash may miss the landmines included in the long questionnaire (that's right, a questionnaire).

Many people may also believe that this is a simple attempt at identity theft after the third email. They would be wrong, as the thieves involved in these schemes are after an even more brazen goal: money from you to them voluntarily.

Context
I'm about to graduate college and my CV/resume is circulating in many places, including recruiting websites around the world. Also, I am in a financially desperate situation, something these guys may or may not be aware of.

Email #1
Assalamu Alikum [insert my real name],

I am xxxxxxxxx, there is an important issue that I would be needing your urgent and personal help and assistance in. I am writing to formally get your attention and approval, before giving you a detailed load down of what I intended to champion with you.
I hope that you will give this message the urgent attention that it is needed.

Thank you for your maximum co-operation in anticipation.

xxxxxxxxx

My immediate thoughts
I actually figured out what this was immediately, based solely on this email, simply because I have been thinking rather intensely after seeing the dateline special about how exactly these schemes would start.

My Reply #1
Sounds interesting. Let me know how I can help.

Email #2
Att: [insert my real name],
Thank you so much for your response. Let me introduce myself once more, am Barrister xxxxxxxxx . I am married and a father of four aged 54, a senior advocate in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Here is exactly what I needed you to help me to do, also the reason why I contacted you personally.

I want you to personally assist me to safeguard a reasonable sum in your country or any other place where you are familiar with for a productive investment. The funds were generated through a legal means by my late client, but due to some issues between my late client and some officials, I am mandated to make this transfer and the onward investment on my own.

The fund in question is in a Financial Institute, and it is due to be transferred, but the major problem I have been facing for quite a long time now is finding a capable person who will help me to make the transfer without betrayal, and also negotiating some areas of lucrative investment down there in your country and honest heart.

For the legal ramifications be rest assured on that, this is my operational field for I do know the entire loop holes involve and will handle them with great professionalism.

This was the major reason that drew my attention to contact you personally for an assistant regarding the execution of this project. I will give you all the necessary information you would require to know regarding this project when I receive go ahead’ from you.

Best Regards
Name:xxxxxxxxx
Address: Suban Jaya Pj Housing Estate Block 5 flat 6
Phone: xxxxxxxxx
Fax xxxxxxxxx

My immediate thoughts
Suspicions confirmed. This guy is going to ask to transfer a large sum of money into one of my accounts, but when the rubber meets the road it's going to turn out that he needs a few thousand bucks to clear his imaginary client's account.

My Reply #2
Go ahead.

Email #3

[insert my real name],

Thank you once more for your interest and willingness to assist and
partner with us in this project.
This project though has a lot of interests and benefits both for you and
also for the family of my late client, but it requires an unsolicited and
undivided attention.
Before I proceed to what it entails that you do, I would like to know a
few of your personal data and information.
1. I would want to know if having a substantial amount of money amounting
to Millions of Dollars in your country would raise an "EYE BROW" from any
Individual, agents, or government representative.
2. Also, I would like to know if you have a good business, or a financial
background to back up this fund "IF" and "WHEN" it is been transferred
into your custody in your country.
3. Do you have an operative "EXTERNAL" account in any country other than
your country of origin and residence?
4. Do you have access to any offshore banking facility?
5. Do you have any other alternative means of receiving funds except
through the traditional means of fund transfer?
6. Can you travel out of your country for this transaction if It requires
that you must travel?
7. How old are you and what do you do for a living?
8. Do you have any form of identification that you can forward across to
me for record purpose?

All these questions are meant for us to know exactly how best to effect
this transfer so that it would be safe, and secured both for you, us and
the fund in question.
Be reminded that everything regarding to this fund and its transfer has
been taken care of, and all we need is your co-operation and maximum
attention.
The first thing we require of you is to assist us in any way or means
possible to safeguard this transfer as soon as possible to your country or
any other country that you are familiar with, this include but not limited
to,
(a) Giving us an account where this fund could be transferred to,
(b) Travelling to meet with the personnel anywhere if and when necessary.
(c) Assisting the family of my late client to clear any demurrage or
payment needed for this transfer if necessary.
(d) Giving us all the needed investment information that you might have
access to.
(e) And finally assisting us in investing this fund when it is finally
transferred to you in your country of origin.

We are willing to offer you a reasonable amount that we are yet to agree
if you accept to assist.
What we are thinking of is to offer you a 20% share of the total amount or
equivalent share amounting to 20% of the total sum in any business or
venture that the fund will be channeled to if and after the fund has been
transferred to you in your country or any country of your choice.

Please do get back to me with your comments and remarks to these
questions, and do not hesitate to ask me anything for further
clarifications in any thing whatsoever you would like to know regarding to
this fund, myself, or my late client.

I am banking on your willingness to support, assist and partner with us in
this project.
I hope that this message would be sufficient for your purposes.i will let
know other necessary things you need to know and how much is involed.

Best Regards
Name: xxxxxxxxx
Address: Suban Jaya Pj Housing Estate Block 5 flat 6
Phone: xxxxxxxxx
Fax xxxxxxxxx

My immediate thoughts

Even if this by now sounds silly to more informed readers, it should be apparent by now that these tactics will work on someone and have worked before. The questions are a well-crafted mix of marketing, landmines, and long-shot attempts to get this fraud jumping ahead into the right direction. Notice also that the emails don't show the fraud's entire hand, even after the third email, and they also don't request any specific dollar amounts from the victim, yet. I guarantee people fall for this trap.

My reply #3

Dear Sir,

After reading your questions I can give you positive answers to all. With regard to identification and account information, I propose we meet in person to discuss these matters. This is a sensitive situation, therefore it will be safer for both of us if matters are conducted in person.

I offer you my services at a cheaper price (and with more added benefits) than you proposed due to my sympathy for the situation. As a show of good faith, I am prepared to offer a relatively large sum upon our meeting to clear any encumbrances on your deceased client's account. You may feel free to use this money not only as a means of clearing these encumbrances, but also to cover any travel costs associated with our meeting. In return, I only ask for 7% of the total amount transferred into my account as a fee. I cannot in good conscience accept the huge amount of money you offered me, so please accept this more fair set of circumstances.

Recently, I have become monetarily successful by trading derivative securities. The quantitative methods that I use will also be useful as a means of finding appropriate investments for the large sum of money involved in this transaction. To be clear, I am an educated investor and I am willing to help you in this transaction as well as any future transactions.

Now I have some terms which must be agreed upon for this situation to comply with my personal risk tolerance. At our meeting, you must have in your possession 10% of the amount I propose to offer you to clear your client's account. I will never take possession of your money, but seeing it in your hands will make me comfortable that this is a legitimate deal. This money must be in cash. After you have proven your solvency and legitimacy by showing me (but not giving me) the 10%, I will initiate the full transfer of my offer by any means you prefer. Afterwards, when you clear your client's account with these funds, we can talk about further investments over a glass of champagne.

Please contact me with your thoughts and I can proceed to tell you how much I am willing to offer to clear your client's account encumbrances.

Just sent it a second ago, will update to see how they respond to this. In case you couldn't tell, what I am presenting them with is a situation that completely parallels the scheme they are using. I haven't misrepresented myself in any material way, though, unlike these guys.

It will be interesting to see how these professional criminals respond.

Last edited:
I know people fall for this, but I just can't imagine why. Doesn't it strike them as odd that someone would just contact a random person, knowing nothing about them other than their email address?

This is a pretty tired scam, btw. It has been floating around for years now. You would think they would be a little more creative.

LOL I do think it's pretty funny that you are baiting them like this though. Please keep us updated. I wonder if there is any way that you could turn it around and scam the scammers. Prob not, as they are con men themselves, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if you tried. Is that what you were thinking when you asked them to bring the cash? If they actually agree to a meeting, I would think twice about actually showing up, and be careful no matter what. Haha that would be great to find some way to snatch the money if they actually brought it though. I am sure that they wouldn't, but I guess you never know...

hehe show up to the meeting with a bunch of big bouncer-type dudes who just grab the money and yell "GTFO of here, motherfucker!"

Pennywise, I would be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind. My intent here is strictly for entertainment purposes, however, besides the benefit of distracting these frauds from attacking real victims. Perpetrating real fraud, even against people like this, would be a legal can of worms backed up by email records, not to mention the danger associated with actually meeting these people.

I will push this as far as possible for entertainment purposes, though.=D

If the cops weren't such scum it would be fun to set up the meeting and then get the cops to bust them just for the lulz. But knowing cops they would probably try to find some way to arrest you too, and it is just bad being on the cops radar screen for any reason at all.

The cops and FBI have zero jurisdiction over people like this. Interpol and the authorities in the particular country in which this fraud originates have the power, that's it. Interpol is not agile enough to be able to send resources after these criminals due to the variety of more serious issues they have to deal with (as well as the simple cost-benefit perspective), and the authorities in the country in which this fraud originates will be circumvented as follows by the criminals:

The meeting would take place in London, Amsterdam, or a country bordering the country in which this fraud originates. This assumption is based on some typical cases I've read about or seen on dateline. In Dateline, even with the help of local law enforcement, these guys were unable to be apprehended. This is important because dateline has the money and power to command local jurisdictions as a personal army, as can be seen in the To Catch a Predator series.

And to reiterate my position, I only intend to make fools out of these people in a way that is neither criminally nor civilly damaging.

Ahh, I wasn't aware that they were operating from overseas. I guess that makes a lot more sense though. It makes them damn hard to catch.

If I were them though, I might be worried that I would rip off the wrong person, and have them take justice into their own hands.

A person who can be manipulated into giving these people money are at a disadvantage when it comes to revenge tactics. Chances are, they will be on a full tilt after losing an amount of money greater than they were prepared to invest. Any attempts at revenge will be irrational and probably land them in hot water legally. In this way the scheme minimizes the probability of serious justice being implemented; the victims are just too emotional to begin with.

I know its unlikely, but I still think its possible. You might get away with it a hundred or even a thousand times, but there is always that chance that something will go wrong and you could get hurt or arrested.

Still, I wonder how lucrative a scam like this is. It does seem to be a great crime as far as criminal activity goes. Your risk and the amount of work that you have to invest are both minimal. If the payoff is big, it is a really good scam.

Not that I would do it, or condone it, but it is still interesting.

I think he missed the entire point of my last email, since he's apparently convinced that I'm willing to travel to malaysia. Oh well, not so many big words next time...

Email #4
Att: [my name],
Thanks for your time to email me back, i will be much grateful you come to
malaysia and be present we finish everything in due time as bank have
given me time to present next of kin to my late client. make it fast as
there's no time on our side.
Here will proceed ,attach below a beneficiary affidavit oath form from the
judiciary of Malaysia which you are to fill and return back to me as the
information is needed to prepare a sworn affidavit of claim, an
irrevocable power of attorney and other supporting legal documentations
that will mandate you to carry on with the proceed of my late client.

On the receipt of the filled oath form, i will proceed to the judiciary
for the legalization of the transaction, from there you will contact the
bank and initiate claims with full legal backings by the judiciary of
Malaysia in your favor, fill it up legibly and scan it back to
me.immediately i receive it i will submit it to Malaysia high court,and
after that i will also send you the agreement document to sign.

All I need from you is to cooperate with me and be honest in our agreement
which is 60/40, 60% for me and 40% for you. total sum of Four Million
Seven Hundred and fifty thousand Dollars (USD$4.750.000.00)

On filling the affidavit form, if you have any question do not fail to
mail me or give me a call on my cell phone +60169174647

I awaiting fill up

Best regards,
Barrister Bahnas Ur Rehman
Tel+60169174647

OAT_FORM_malaysia.jpg

(Notice the super-cheap processing fee. I better take advantage of this immediately before the price goes up again!

Wait, he doesn't mention anything about you paying the fee, or get a credit card number or bank account number of an account with any money in it.

When does he ask for that?

lol I wish I had pay phone convenient, or some skype credits, so I could call him and harass the hell out of him. The number is probably dead anyway though.

no phone calls yet. I need to get some trophies from this guy, such as pictures of him with a banana in his mouth holding up a sign that says something like "assgasm city, population: me"

I need some time to meditate on how to proceed, but any suggestions would be cool.

hahaha, I wonder if he actually understood anything you wrote as he is now offerring 40% after an initial offer of 20% and your counter offer of just 7%.

I have watched a few of these over the net and they always result in fun times..................good luck Captain, will be following with baited breath...........lol.

I'm not even sure my meager (but obviously superior) intellect is even an asset in this case.

I have a friend who needed a second job but did not have the time, so she found something like this (she was not solicited) and wound up very much in the hole through a Western Union scheme that really did look legit.

Don't do it. Especially an in-person meeting. I have not seen any of the Dateline episodes on this, but you're in need of a reputable job and your info is all over the place. Do you want this to become part of it? Not to mention the obvious concerns of getting robbed or worse.

Greed and vigilante justice won't get you anything but trouble, so I strongly advise you not to invite it in.

Also: you have to be shitting me that you would even consider signing an irrevocable power of attorney to ANYONE.

All of this is purely for entertainment purposes. I am most concerned with getting some good pics of these guys getting buck naked on camera, hopefully with some bananas involved.

LOL mariposa, read his posts from the beginning girl he said its all a joke haha. Our good ol CB is way smarter than that.;)