• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

An eighth of psilocybe azurescens for first timer?

sublimestyle420

Greenlighter
Been doing my research and i've finally had the opportunity to acquire an eighth of psilocybe azurescens from a good friend. From what I have read, they are one of the most potent species of psilocybe mushrooms.

I realize it will most likely be intense, very intense. But do any experienced shroomers out their think an eighth for a first time shroomer is trouble waiting to happen? I'm really looking for a mind blowing first experience8o

I also realize setting is key. It will be a few close friends and I, most likely in the woods.

Suggestions?

Set and setting are key. I recommend 5g normal cubensis for any mushroom trip, even a first timer. Try out the lemon tek, it's your best bet for an awesome trip. I swear by it...basically makes eating shrooms obsolete. Shrooms are all about the spiritual journey, so there's no need to go low-dose.

Oh, and be careful being outdoors. Mushrooms are different from LSD in that they aren't very lucid at all. Things can be very distorted when you open your eyes and smoking out of a pipe (much less functioning normally at all) can be very difficult. Laying down with your eyes closed in a comfortable, dark place is the best way to enjoy mushrooms.

Eat the entire 8th. You will have a blast, and honestly its the perfect amount for newbies.

Well i'm gonna go ahead and eat the entire eighth. I feel as long as i go into with the right mindset, and just really let go and let the trip take me where it wants, it will turn out awesome. Thanks for the advice and i'l def look into the lemon tek method.

Also, weed on come up, peak, and comedown? Or just comedown to kick the intensity back up. Or just not at all to avoid fogginess?

Not to be the killjoy, but in the interest of harm reduction I would strongly urge against eating an entire eighth of azurescens for your first time. Azurescens, especially if they were preserved properly, can be harrowingly strong. They often can be up to twice as potent as your run-o-the-mill cubensis, and have a markedly different signature. The trip can be darker and heavier, and is often accompanied by a sometimes disturbing (even to experienced shroomers) physical element. Partial paralysis is not uncommon, and they can have a very heavy drunken feel to them. I quite enjoy the oppressive spiritual bent to them, and I have years of experience, but even I would make sure the cards were lined up perfectly before eating an entire eighth. I would recommend half an eighth....you wont be disappointed :D Either way, be careful, and have fun.

Cheers

^ i strongly agree.

psilocybe azurescens and cyanescens are both approx 2x the potency of psilocybe cubensis.

if you want the "full eighth" trip (eg, 3.5g ps. cubensis), you should have no more than 2g of azures.

3.5g azures can be comparable to 5-7g of cubes.

Holy shit...I knew they were strong, just not that strong. I should most likely go back to plan A and stick with around 2 grams then.

A disturbing physical element? Well maybe i should say my prayers to the mushroom goddess before the experience haha. Being paralyzed isn't exactly what i'm looking for. I'll cross my fingers on that part. Do any of you have any experience with this species?

All these fear mongers...

I really think most of what you hear about different species of mushrooms having such different effects are due to subjective differences with set & setting from user to user. One mushroom isn't any 'darker' than the other...but the environment you trip in may be. If you're in a good set & setting there's no reason not to eat the whole thing.

As for the 'disturbing physical element'....i haven't any idea what that's about. Mushrooms offer the most clean, euphoric, relaxing body high of any substance I've ever tried, opiates included.

Make sure you roll some joints. Pipes are quite difficult to navigate when on shroomies. Depending on the method of ingestion, I smoke between 15-45 minutes after eating the shrooms, and again whenever I feel like it. MJ adds a very lovely cushioning to the fungusperience.

Check out Terence McKenna's 3 part youtube series for more useful tips.

cryptix420, different mushrooms have different alkaloid concentrations. If I remember correctly, azures have more norbaeocystin and baeocystin in them, just like penis envy mushrooms do, than normal cubensis mushrooms would, and on top of that, almost double the concentration of psilocin of your average cube.

The various alkaloids all play a part in the trip.

yes different shrooms DO have different effects. heed the cautions. people are always trying to claim every psychedelic is identical and all differences are due to set/setting, but that's simply INCORRECT - not sure what motivates such baseless claims, maybe ego and desire to be a smartypants - very important chemical differences DO result in very important experience differences.

I am very experienced, and approach even a 3g Cubensis trip with reverence and a bit of trepidation. If you never tripped before I strongly suggest putting Azures aside for when you have some mileage on your tripometer. seek 3g cubensis. even that can be daunting, but probably easier than 2g azures.

a first trip can leave an "imprint" pattern on the mind that can affect future trips. I doubt you want paralysis and terror to be that imprint, do you?

ALSO: do NOT do first trip in the woods!! BAAAAD & dangerous idea. becoming confused, wandering/running off and getting injured a VERY real possibility. Do it inside in a familiar safe comfortable place where you can make environment as you wish, play music on good big speakers with enveloping room acoustics (not some tinny boombox you might have in woods), go lay down in bed, cuddle up, close eyes if you wish, see how familiar things have changed, etc.

Another warning... do it with just ONE experienced sitter who is on only a light dose. Any trip in a group can get weird and bad fast... way too many interacting psychogenic fields all overlapping and interacting. Especially a very strong outdoor first time shroom trip with a bunch of other people around? dont do it... recipe for disaster, IMO.

Last edited:
One mushroom isn't any 'darker' than the other...but the environment you trip in may be. If you're in a good set & setting there's no reason not to eat the whole thing

Your wrong I'm afraid. Some species are very different effects wise, to the degree where they seem like almost different drugs (which in the case of a species with virtually no baeocystin, compared to one with a lot, isn't actually too far wrong!).

Azures are the strongest species out there, probably not best for the first time.

Last edited:
Make sure you know the potency of the batch you are consuming. Do you know anyone else who has tripped of this particular batch, and can gauge potency for you?

Please don't listen to people who advise to just eat the whole 1/8 based on the premise that because they could handle a big dose anyone can. Just because you do something risky and get away with it doesn't make the risk any more real.

I'm not trying to shout "huge danger" too much considering big doses of mushrooms but after my first time with slightly less than 1/8 of Cubensis (regular dose) I took about 1,5 times that for the second time with something very much like the lemon tek (i.e. using an acid from citrus fruits) and was completely overwhelmed and had an experience that shook me up until this day.
The good possibility that you will have a positive (though intense) experience does not justify the good possibility that it will be a very heavy experience to deal with.

Now I have experience with many psychedelics myself and hefty doses of some of them and it's another story. But without much experience caution is advised and you can always do it another time and take a little more. You can't take it back once you have eaten them.

And Azurescens mushrooms are significantly more potent than Cubensis!

According to this mushroom dosage calculator Azures are just over 2 times as potent as Cubensis meaning an 1/8 is over two regular doses.

Mushrooms have a different dose-response curve than LSD in my opinion/experience. Two doses of acid (say 100 ug) is doable although still not advisable for beginners while two doses of mushrooms can definitely be overwhelming for a lot of people.
There are always exceptions. Find out if you are sensitive or not at all by starting low.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I think i'll just a half eighth and save the other half for some time in the future. And i'll most likely stick to a comfy house setting with some chill music and maybe some black lights and posters:) A few fat j's will be prepped up for the experience.

Any tips for increasing lucidity of the trip? I'm guessing the body load is just part of the mushroom package. Any trippy shit you guys recommend while on shrooms?

i would highly suggest you do NOT toke before you eat the shrooms. weed can cause paranoia and anxiety.

let the fungal headspace fully immerse you first. if you feel like the plateau (1-2 hours after you eat them) is losing intensity, you can always spark up a nice fattie to launch back into hyperspace.

there are plenty of threads on best things to do while tripping. avoid drunk people and other jackasses, have your music player charged and ready to go, and don't be afraid to turn off the lights and close your eyes! just remember that nothing you see can hurt you (especially if you have a sober, trusted friend to tripsit you)

remember that tripsitting isn't a bad thing-- it's really nice to have someone who can grab you a nice glass of water, clean up a spill, or other everyday things that may become incredibly difficult while your mind is not in "everyday" mode.

Save the weed for the comedown and trips to come. That's a tip for the lucidity as well, plus it makes for an even more euphoric chill comedown - on the peak it can definitely be too hectic.

For what it's worth, things that are trippy sober I found lame while tripping. Already "thought out" psy art is not interesting because it's artificial and finished. Normal simple things, nature and light effects are profoundly beautiful in my experience. You can boost it with extra LEDs or something like a jungle net full of glowsticks but in the end take into account that you might get a short attention span and just relax and casually investigate whatever is there.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I think i'll just a half eighth and save the other half for some time in the future. And i'll most likely stick to a comfy house setting with some chill music and maybe some black lights and posters:) A few fat j's will be prepped up for the experience.

Any tips for increasing lucidity of the trip? I'm guessing the body load is just part of the mushroom package. Any trippy shit you guys recommend while on shrooms?

Just ain't true. Mushrooms have ZERO body load. Shit, most of the time I forget I even have a body when I eat shrooms.

As for the other stuff, I guess I can't talk since all I've tried is regular ol' cubensis. I just feel like when people are constantly saying 'BE CAREFUL' 'BE WARY OF AWFUL TRIP' etc. etc. that it sends the wrong message. Psychedelics can no doubt turn ugly, but most of the time even the heavy trips carry a positive connotation. Besides, mushrooms have gotta be one of the most gentle, forgiving substances around.

The best time to smoke is when you're just starting to feel that something is not normal; the cannabis can greatly help bring on the effects and immerse you. Shrooms are different from LSD in that cannabis almost feels like a requirement for the full experience, for me at least.

As for the 'trippy stuff' that really only applies to things like LSD or MDMA in my book. Mushrooms are all about the spiritual journey, the stuff that takes place behind your eyelids. I don't think of the OEV's on mushrooms as true OEV's...more just distortions of the world around you. Even the CEV's are more of a feeling than a lucid visual. Trying to open your eyes and interact with the world around you is the main cause of hard trips and confusion on shrooms. Even go look on erowid..the visuals for mushrooms are listed under 'neutral' in the effects column.

p.s. - put 'divine moments of truth' by shpongle in your trippin' playlist. trust me.

Last edited:
Mushrooms have ZERO body load.
Then how have I been floored by mushrooms?

OP, please report back so others can get the answer to your very question. I'm curious as well as I've never had the chance to try PA's. :)

I guess it depends what you consider a body load.

Not being able to move, complete body relaxation, euphoria, cushiony feeling around the joints...this is not a body load imo. A body load is something that has negative qualites, like LSD. You can feel how taxed your mind and body are after an acid trip, after mushrooms you just feel......nice :)

As someone who enjoys salvia I think I can say that I understand what body-load can consist of. ;)

Just try and be open to other people's experiences. To say "It's NEVER happened to me so it can't" doesn't really make sense does it?