View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Amanita Combinations

ForEverAfter

Ex-Bluelighter
I'd like to know what is likely to be bad combination with muscimol. I know there is a limited amount of research with this substance, but there are also some very talented and very wise chemists on this site. I've recently combined DXM with muscimol to great effect. I've never heard of anyone combining these substances. There is one report on erowid, but it provides little insight. My next step was nitrous. I am particularly interested in the combination of large amounts of muscimol with dissociatives but also with psychedelics. Frankly, I'm curious about combining it with everything. There are certain things you should not combine. DXM and MDMA, for example. It can be concluded, I believe, that these substances should not be consumed together without monitoring people under the influence of both. You can observe each drug, individually, and conclude that they are not compatible. Like heroin and cocaine. So there must be some chemically minded individuals on this wonderful site that can tell me what drugs, if any, I should not combine with muscimol. I am guinea pigging drugs as it is. I am yet to find another report, anywhere, of N20 being combined with muscimol. I'm not saying I'm the first person to do it, but it's certainly not a very common combination. I don't want to die. But I'd like to experiment with my favorite drug. I will experiment with it, really. Don't tell me not to. Just point me in the right direction. I want to combine muscimol with alcohol, DMT, hash, MDMA, DOI, 2C-B, LSD, BromoDragonFLY, methamphetamines, codeine, morphine, heroin and mescaline. Please advise which ones I can attempt (relatively) safely and which ones I should - perhaps - avoid.

Thanks.

-4EA

I really wouldnt combine fly agaric/muscimol with anything. You list hard stimulants, psychedelics with somatic effects, opiates and alcohol mostly. All of those could in theory react quite adversely with muscimol. Opiates and alcohol are particularly bad ideas as they are CNS depressants too, involved in many fatal OD's

Well, seeing is how Muscimol is a potent GABA A agonist, it would be pointless to combine it with anything that act on those receptors in an opposite manner, but it's unlikely you'll encounter any of that stuff. However, it would be downright stupid to combine with anything that acts in a similar manner, as it would lead to anesthesia or even death. Basically, don't drink to excess, don't take any benzos or anything of that sort. That also means that whatever you get yourself into during such experimentation, you're gonna have to ride out. But that's the right thing to do anyway.
Otherwise, nothing is gonna be physically dangerous, although if you combine such a sedative substance with something speedy like MDMA or DOI, it probably won't be a very rewarding experience.
It seems to me that tryptamines would be the ideal psychedelic combination with Soma. Maybe brewing up some Ayahausca and taking some on top of that. Or smoking DMT at the peak of the Soma trip if you want to be more simple, or even taking syrian rue beforehand, really anything not so speedy would be a rewarding combination.
Go for it man, and write your experiences out on here, as I really appreciate your writing. Hell I don't even care if it's about this, just write more.

I took the liberty of changing the thread title. Amanita's may have a strong case of being argued as the main principle of the ancient Soma concoction but Soma is also meant to be something else namely a pharmaceutical carisoprodol. But amanita's are not the exact equal as muscimol. We have separate threads for psilocin and mushrooms here as well for a similar reason.

I can't answer your question, I'm sorry to say... but I would stay away from anything that must not be combined with things like zolpidem, zopiclone, gaboxadol and maybe alcohol.(??) There just aren't that many similar drugs I can think of, and the ones I mentioned are more typical sedatives but under circumstances they can also produce GABAergic 'dream states' I think.

GABA-A and B activity are not that clearly separated for me so I don't think I can give actual advice. But muscimol effects are sketchy enough (or should I say Amanita effects reported) for me to not want to suggest any combinations... maybe stimulants can keep the experience more lucid as opposed to sleepwalk/dream like. 2C-B seems relatively benign for me as far as combinations go. Opiates and other downers are also against my advice, you don't want to be in a bigger haze I think, and drifting off too far can be dangerous I imagine.
Something like hash sounds okay to me but you may want to adjust the dose (as would you with other combinations by the way), while DOI or BDfly sound like particularly bad ideas. Would you seriously risk a nightmare-ish scenario getting a deleriant like episode with those long lasting ones? It might really fuck you up. Much faster than 2C-B, when talking about psychedelics. Mescaline is more benign, could prove interesting.

Most of this is gut prediction but hey.

How much experience do you have so far with the muscimol itself? Are you using the word muscimol interchangeably with Amanita mushrooms or do you have pure product? I still have to convert my ibotenic acid to muscimol. Man if I wait a couple years longer maybe it will have converted spontaneously. :p

And for what reason do you want to combine it so randomly? I mean I'm poly-interested in drugs so to speak but I wouldn't pick something to match with just any other drug: some drugs feel like too different directions to go in at the same time, it just feels like that to me. And some drugs I would not consider combining soon with just about anything because they exist on their own merits so much. They can be so specific about themselves like Salvia, it's just a 'unicum'.

Pot is a great add-on to amanita. I think a few leary-crackers (medium-light oral dose) would be perfect.

Best blend IMO.

corky,

DXM is a better combo, IMO.

What drugs have you combined with Amanita Muscaria?

I'm thinking of doing DMT and muscimol, followed by ayahuasca and muscimol.

Solipsis,

I am not at all afraid of nightmarish drug experiences.

The reason I want to experiment with combinations is because I believe this drug contains the meaning of life and I want to unlock that. I'm thinking weed and dxm are probably not ideal as they impair memory. Weed, DXM and Amanita Muscaria all cause retrograde amnesia in sufficient quantities. It's possible that the best effect might be gained by doing Muscaria by itself. I suspect this. I have never consumed it by itself. I guess I'm curious about combinations, also, because it has never been done before. Or, there is so little information on it. If I decide to go through with some of the more dangerous combinations. Like heroin and amanita muscaria. I will be careful. Take tiny amounts of both and increase dosage by small increments until I achieve a desired effect.

I appreciate the responses. Just to double check. Would nitrous, DXM, ayahuasca and Amanita Muscaria be a potentially bad combination? As in, would it be dangerous. Again, I don't care about the potential for a bad trip. I can deal with anything spiritually or mentally. I just don't want to physically damage myself.

As for how experienced I am, not very. But nobody is. I've never met anyone in person who has had a successful Muscaria trip. There are few people on this board with much Muscaria experience. I have had four successful experiences and two unsuccessful ones. Six experiences total. But my drug experience is extensive.

I often refer to psilocybin mushrooms as psilocybin and amanita mushrooms as muscimol or "Soma", just as people refer to beer and wine as alcohol.

I'm still not sure what muscimol actually does, even though I've had several strong experiences

Muscimol creates a visionary near death experience. It explains the meaning of life and the nature of the universe through allegorical dreams. It is so extraordinary that it is difficult to put into words. When you say you've had strong experiences, did you have an out of body experience (OBE) or a near death experience (NDE)? Although it is difficult to explain to other people without sounding like a lunatic, everything was perfectly clear to me. The message is so strong and so specific. The amazing thing about this drug is the commonalities between users.

I believe this drug contains the meaning of life
You are delusional. For what reason would this particular collection of atoms contain this?

You're grabbing at air, if you try to hold it it will slip through your fingers, breathe as nature intended and you'll be able to take what you need.

With all due respect, I don't really need your judgement. It doesn't bother me, because I am perfectly at peace, but it's not really warranted. These are my spiritual beliefs. This is my religion. It is not a recognized religion, but that doesn't mean you should treat it with any less respect than say Christianity. If somebody said "I'm Christian", you wouldn't say they were delusional. You don't know me. You don't know if I'm delusional or not, or if I'm grabbing at air. You have not experienced what I have. This thread isn't about my mental state. You have never met me. You are not a psychiatrist.

For what reason would this particular collection of atoms contain this?

Faithless people always attempt to disprove God by waving scientific theory about. Scientists don't even know what atoms are. We name things. Nucleus, atom, DNA - but we are just scratching the surface. I cannot explain to you, in terms of science, why I believe what I do. Because science is incapable of explaining it. I can attempt to explain it, spiritually, though I have to assume based on the blunt and narrow-minded nature of your response that you're not going to be particularly open-minded now. However:

Essentially, I believe this drug stimulates a near death experience in order to help highly conscious animals come to terms with their mortality. I believe you can experience, with muscimol, what it is like to die. Because I have done, a number of times. I have died. And I know what comes after.

^I'm not only spiritual, but a theist to boot. I am also a rationalist, as this universe is quite clearly a rational one.

I'm not denying that the drug may have efficacy as a spiritual tool, but to posit that one contains the meaning of life is monomaniacal. It'd be arguably cruel and irrational, if our pathway to meaning was relegated to something obscure as the introduction of exogenous ligands into our brains.

Though I doubt you'd say that the finding of meaning was exclusive to this route, I am doubting you've adequately considered the implications of it not being exclusive. Try to have greater faith in the ability of a skeptical, rational mind to operate in the more abstract realms, and more faith in the intelligence of your human predecessors in the spiritual pursuit. I'd recommend studying something more solidly grounded in the human experience: Judaism, Confucianism, and existentialism would be good options.

You don't know me. You don't know if I'm delusional or not, or if I'm grabbing at air. You have not experienced what I have. This thread isn't about my mental state. You have never met me. You are not a psychiatrist.

Your mental state is my business, HR and all. I've said my piece now, so you can go back to being the sanest and most enlightened individual in the room (I realize that sounds a bit dickish, but it would be true if you're right,no?). I should probably have given up at that coup de grâce of early-adolescent rhetoric, "You don't know me." Oh, and not only are the people who peddle advice at BL not psychiatrists, but we're not pharmacologists or doctors of medicine either, yet you feel we're qualified to give advice about your drug use.

As for your actual question, as has been said, it's largely uncharted territory and caution is advised.

corky,

DXM is a better combo, IMO.

What drugs have you combined with Amanita Muscaria?

I'm thinking of doing DMT and muscimol, followed by ayahuasca and muscimol.

Solipsis,

I am not at all afraid of nightmarish drug experiences.

The reason I want to experiment with combinations is because I believe this drug contains the meaning of life and I want to unlock that. I'm thinking weed and dxm are probably not ideal as they impair memory. Weed, DXM and Amanita Muscaria all cause retrograde amnesia in sufficient quantities. It's possible that the best effect might be gained by doing Muscaria by itself. I suspect this. I have never consumed it by itself. I guess I'm curious about combinations, also, because it has never been done before. Or, there is so little information on it. If I decide to go through with some of the more dangerous combinations. Like heroin and amanita muscaria. I will be careful. Take tiny amounts of both and increase dosage by small increments until I achieve a desired effect.

I appreciate the responses. Just to double check. Would nitrous, DXM, ayahuasca and Amanita Muscaria be a potentially bad combination? As in, would it be dangerous. Again, I don't care about the potential for a bad trip. I can deal with anything spiritually or mentally. I just don't want to physically damage myself.

As for how experienced I am, not very. But nobody is. I've never met anyone in person who has had a successful Muscaria trip. There are few people on this board with much Muscaria experience. I have had four successful experiences and two unsuccessful ones. Six experiences total. But my drug experience is extensive.

I often refer to psilocybin mushrooms as psilocybin and amanita mushrooms as muscimol or "Soma", just as people refer to beer and wine as alcohol.

Do you mean all of these together at once? Or DXM with muscimol, nitrous with muscimol and ayahuasca with muscimol? If the former, DO NOT combine DXM with a MAOi, was is present in ayahuasca, since it has serotonin reuptake inhibiting properties. You probably already knew this, but for the sake of harm reduction...

It could very well be that several other alkaloids than the main alkaloid(s) greatly influence the experience, so equating muscimol with amanita's en psilocybin with mushrooms could very well be inaccurate.

Yes it's a bad habit I have mainly from writing trip reports. It's impossible to fit the correct names of all the drugs I consume together in the title of a report, so I abbreviate by saying Soma instead of Amanita Muscaria and Psilocybin instead of Psilocybe Subaeruginosa. The active ingredients of both are pretty isolated. Psilocyin/Psilocybin and Ibotenic Acid/Muscimol. Whereas mescaline cacti tend to, from my experience, have vastly different effects from mescaline, psilocybin has very similar effects to psilocybin containing fungi. Amanita Muscaria, on the other hand, is somewhat of a mystery. So, you're right. I concede that I should, for the sake of being factual, refer to the mushroom rather than the drug.

I did mean everything at once. So thanks for the info on DXM. I've never had an MAOI, so I'm not familiar with what classes of drugs clash with it. Having said that, I'm not going to rush into ayahuasca. It will take me some time to gather the ingredients and prepare the brew. Before consumption, as with everything, I will do the neccessary research and preparation. Since an experience last night, I am no longer interested in combining dissociatives with muscimol. I intend to combine organic psychedelics, DMT, and opiates.

Your mental state is my business, HR and all. I've said my piece now, so you can go back to being the sanest and most enlightened individual in the room (I realize that sounds a bit dickish, but it would be true if you're right,no?). I should probably have given up at that coup de grâce of early-adolescent rhetoric, "You don't know me."

If you were truly interested in HR, then you would take a different approach. Psychiatrists don't tell skizophrenics that they are delusional and tell them to take a breath. That's not reducing harm, it's just a little patronizing. So is the early adolescent comment. It's totally uncalled for. You are a moderator. As a mod, if you are genuinely concerned about a member's mental health, then why start calling them delusional adolescents?

The comment "you don't know me" stands. It is not childish. It is a fact. You don't know me. Psychiatrists spend a long time with a patient before they make a diagnosis. And they are actually qualified to dianose. My point, that you don't know me, is that you are incapable of diagnosing me with a mental disorder. And since you are incapable, it is wrong for you to attempt to do so.

I have said, in other threads, that I believe there to be numerous windows to the divine. Muscaria is one of them. I never suggested that it alone holds the meaning of life. I just said it holds the meaning of life. I'm particularly interested in DMT and ayahuasca because I believe them to also be windows. If I said oranges contain sugar, would you conclude that I believe lemons don't?

I'd recommend studying something more solidly grounded in the human experience: Judaism, Confucianism, and existentialism would be good options.

I have read (multiple times): The Bible, The Quran, The Apocrypha, The Mormon Gospel, The Aqcuarian Gospel, The Book of the Dead & a list of mythological allegories that is far too long for me to write out. I have been on a spiritual quest for a long time. I have studied under priests.

None of that compares to having the experience yourself. I have experienced what Ezekiel experienced, first hand. So I don't have to read Ezekiel. You get your information, perhaps, second hand from prophets. I am a prophet. I understand that sounds arrogant. It also would have sounded arrogant for Ezekiel to call himself a prophet. But he didn't care, and neither do I, because I have experienced something absolutely extraordinary. Until you experience it yourself, it is impossible for you to say - one way or the other - whether or not it is a delusion.

Oh, and not only are the people who peddle advice at BL not psychiatrists, but we're not pharmacologists or doctors of medicine either, yet you feel we're qualified to give advice about your drug use.

You didn't give me any psychological advice. If you're an amateur psychiatrist, you aren't a very good one. Calling people childish, making assumptions about them, and telling them that they are delusional is perhaps not the best approach? The reason that psychiatrists take their time when making a diagnosis is because the direct slap-you-in-the-face approach has been proved to be inefficient. If you want to be an amateur psychiatrist, I suggest reconsidering the tone of your therapy.

If you have anything else to say to me, please do it via PM. Thanks.

I'm sorry, but being offended by someone calling you childish doesn't mitigate whatsoever how childish it is to say that aminata mushrooms contain the meaning of life...

edit: I'm also legitimately curious, if your expressed reason behind your desire to experiment with aminata combinations is that they contain the meaning of life, how could combining them with opiates, coke, or methamphetamine possibly further this purpose?

Also, you aren't very experienced with muscimol but you already want to combine it with potentially lethal substances like bromo-dragonfly? Honestly this sounds reckless and idiotic.

Also, maybe you should look up what a central nervous system depressant is, it's not a very difficult concept.

Last edited:
I'm still unclear as to why opiates are a bad idea. I don't understand any of the chemistry involved, so I don't know what a central nervous system depressant is and why it is a bad idea to consume that with muscimol. If I were to insist upon taking this route, what would be the best way to reduce the potential for an overdose? Like if I started very slowly from a very low dose of each and then gradually worked my up, wouldn't I be likely to encounter potentially dangerous side effects before they become too dangerous? Again, as I said in the original post, please don't tell me not to do this. I want to know how to do it, and minimize harm. Thanks.

I'm sorry, but being offended by someone calling you childish doesn't mitigate whatsoever how childish it is to say that aminata mushrooms contain the meaning of life...

Childish is the wrong word, and I'm not offended in the slightest.

Please stay on topic, people.

Muscimol creates a visionary near death experience. It explains the meaning of life and the nature of the universe through allegorical dreams. It is so extraordinary that it is difficult to put into words. When you say you've had strong experiences, did you have an out of body experience (OBE) or a near death experience (NDE)? Although it is difficult to explain to other people without sounding like a lunatic, everything was perfectly clear to me. The message is so strong and so specific. The amazing thing about this drug is the commonalities between users.

Yup. And to the person who has not heard of anyone having a successful Amanita/Musimol trip... I wrote this... whether it would be called "successful" is another matter...

It all happens during the "Out" phases of the In & Out of consciousness waves that it produces used properly. All the action was during these intense semi-lucid psychedelic dream states that you remember during the awake periods, and the "visuals" during those can be intense and all-encompassing, as in any dream state, but lean more toward "alternate reality" with a great deal of realism but with fantastical semi-mythical events occurring, possibly involving elaborate impossible beasts, outer space sequences, aliens or god-like beings-of-light and whatnot. Whether you would call this "significant visual distortions" would depend on your definition of the term and on the particulars of your experiences.

Have you ever been sleep deprived, but were trying to stay awake for like a movie or job or something? But were not quite succeeding and keep falling asleep for several minutes then waking up suddenly and you are like "Oh shit what happened? How long was I out?" And you keep doing that, falling asleep, walking up, trying to stay awake, falling asleep again, over and over?

Well it does that to you. Actually makes you go into a state of unconsciousness like sleep or like passing out (feels nice though, like you are floating with a mild fuzzy feeling body buzz). But its not sleep. Because when you wake back up to a more normal (but still fuzzy) "awake" state, you remember vivid dreams you had while you were out, almost like you are reliving them but you are awake remembering a highly vivid dream you just emerged from. Then you usually become overwhelmed by the trance and are pulled back down into a sleep-like but vividly dreaming state. The dream segments can feel like they are lasting hours, but when you wake up only 10 or 20 minutes have gone by...

During the "out" parts you loose total contact with your normal surroundings, like when you are asleep, your mind goes totally "somewhere else" into these epic mythc often scary often so weird as to be indescribable dreams... it feels during these dreams like you are inhabiting the mind of some God-like being that has these huge vast memories covering millions of years and you are randomly sampling them. Then you wake up. literally snap back to your real environment, and remember having just "dreamed" these things and its like "HOLY CRAP!!! I had NO idea it was even possible for the human mind to conceptualize and experience anything remotely like that!"

So its a little bit freaky and upsetting these dream states are so HUGE and OTHER feeling that it makes you kind of scared about what just happened. ***THAT*** is why they are not popular as recreationals... a little too "heavy and deep" of a mental/emotional experience to want to do it alot... NOT because of any severely negative physical side effects, because properly prepared MOST people will not have much negative body issues.

Once I was in orbit with some other-dimensional god-like being who was "eating" the "souls" or accumulated-life-experiences of people, animals, everything that had recently died on the Earth and were flowing up off of the Earth towards the sun in a great sparkling "River of Souls" to steal a phrase from Babylon5... somehow far far beyond my ability to make sense of, "It" was "constructing" its "offspring" out of the accumulated memories of all Earth's dead... perhaps they were even Grateful, haha... still it was bizarre and incomprehensible in the extreme and quite a bit scary... I woke up and was like "OHHHH MY GOD... WHAT THE FUCK... IS THAT WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? HOLY CRAP... OH NOOOOO!!!" http://i.bluelight.ru/s/eek.

http://tribes.tribe.net/ambrosia-society/thread/d49cbd72-f0dd-4a8e-99a3-67cd78e85eb3

tribes » religion & beliefs » ambrosia society » topics » Ibotenic/Muscimol Conversion

Re: Ibotenic/Muscimol Conversion Thu, August 23, 2007 - 2:50 AM

Wasson's important finding was (actually it was that of a Buddhist monk participating in his experiments) that the ibotenic acid in the AM is converted to muscimol simply by drying them in direct sunlight or in front of a fire. Once sun dried, for example, one can then extract the muscimol using denatured alcohol or soak the mushrooms in water and rehydrate them. Then, enclose in a microwave dish and microwave at low setting for a very short while. The rehydrated mushrooms will give off a yellowish liquid when heated, which contains the muscimol. Mix with chocolate milk and consume. In Germany a medicinal product made from AM (35 grams of fresh AM to the ml of extract) can be obtained on a doctor's prescription. It contains ibotenic acid. Entheogen users heat a bit of the AM extract in a spoon over a flame and the liquid quickly turns from white to yellow. They then consume the yellow liquid in chocolate milk, with exceptional results. Apparently, Jason and the Argonauts is a myth describing and explicating the ensuing experience.

[added: weirdest thing is it feels like the dreamlets last hours, but the clock says only several minutes each... this is what James Arthur's recipe page means by "time dilation"... its not just rhetoric, its true... oh and the below experience resulted from a combo of MAO inhibitor Syrian Rue, small dose 1.5g of psilocybe cubensis, small dose of GHB, and marijuana, THEN the Amanita ritual to top it all off... I went several places, but this was the most amazing one:]

Ive had things happen that were so hard to describe... God-like beings the size of stars "feeding" off of the souls of recently deceased beings... all beings, human as well as animal... these souls looked like a river made from points of light flowing up off the Earth into space... the "god-beings" would consume them, and thereby absorb and re-live all the experiences of the deceased ones, and in this way preserve them and keep them alive within themselves for all eternity. Whoa.

^That description of the muscimol experience honestly sounds so awesome but unfortunately it also sounds like it has the potential to be absolutely hellish, which is one of the only things stopping me from ordering some and trying it.

Well it did seem like a revelation but at the same time intensely weird and scary. Like "So, does this mean I'm really long-dead and just an ephemeral recording on infinite loop inside some being's mind, like an ant trapped between the narrow glass walls of an ant-farm?" <shiver> Very Philip K Dick-ian, in that "oh crap, not good" way he had... It was made better when I realized I was just remembering a dream *I* just had... then again not, upon realizing perhaps that aspect is just a program that is spliced into your replay stream to misdirect you away from "realizing" the nature of yourself as long-expired "mind-food" for some interdimensional spirit-parasite, in order to keep your crumbs percolating around it's gullet for as long as possible.. Creepy.

Then yet again... perhaps it would really be a GOOD thing if that is what is really going on... all our experiences and feelings, and those of everything on the planet from all time, REMEMBERED and revered by.... SOMETHING... and *NOT*, in the words of the Replicant at the end of PK Dick's Blade Runner, "...lost like tears in the rain" when we die.... some comfort in the thought actually I suppose.

I have once again changed the thread title because muscimol is only one constituent of Amanita's and as you say it is a 'mystery' in how far different principle compounds in a natural drug product add up as a whole, and what one separate chemical means or how it is different. Yes people say psilocin is not entirely the same as using psilocybe mushrooms and mescaline is not entirely the same as peyote, so I explicitly wanted to make the title say Amanita's since they can contain chemicals that may interact with other drugs, thus limiting which combinations are safe.

About Amanita's being the key to the meaning of life: I've had a year of very frequent psilocybe mushroom use and being a scholar of it's effects (very chaotic putting things together in an existential crisis), and also a year of very frequent LSD use where I felt I was 'on to something', trying to piece together unifying theories very similar to the way you call it "the key to the meaning of life waiting to be unlocked". So I can relate to it.
I can also say that I have grown past that, not really fundamentally finding it wrong or delusional... but it lacked proper application of skepticism which I have since learned to use, and I have found that there are many ways leading to better understanding of the meaning of life, and different drugs can catalyze processes that help us find answers that mean something to us. Not a single serving answer for everyone though. In that department, many have tried and pretty much all have failed. Maybe there will be one showing a metaphysical revolution like Einstein's relativity... but most are, I'm sorry to say, delusional and grasping, yes. Believing in things without admitting to lacking proper understanding, such as using quantum physics to tie your theories together without having proper education of physics. Thinking you still can, is the definition of a delusion. And soon enough you will come to say expressions that seem like they are profound, but actually are empty in meaning.

I believe that some psychedelics show the way or tell the story in other methods, tactics or languages like mushrooms being irrational, intuitive and symbolic about things while LSD are more rational and to-the-point. People can have their preferences but I don't think there is one that magically does it all exactly right.

You have your rights to your own beliefs, and think that your path is the only right one and I'm not here to take it away from you. Just, I myself think that there are many paths, and it's not so much about having terminal stations in mind and concrete answers as much as having a feeling of completing your own puzzle or understanding of life a bit like a tapestry. I'm much calmer now, having a feeling that I covered the basics of my existential questioning because I have my own theories when asked about it. I felt like I had to towards myself, not to show to others that I have a lease on the truth. And I like filling in blanks.
About the meaning of life, I just tend to think that how hard it is to arrive at adequate answers often has most to do with the question itself being too vague. Questions can seem like they are specific about what is asked to know, but I don't really buy that we deeply understand the true nature about what is inquired, so we cannot expect to get a satisfying answer. It is only fair.
One MAJOR error in thinking people seem to make is applying questions starting with 'why' to things that have nothing to do with intention. We superimpose our anthropomorphic models on everything and expect things to work like we do. Which is often nothing short of absurd.