• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Am I on the Road to Addiction?

DerDiebKommt

Bluelighter
Hello everyone, my narcotics use started in the beginning of the summer of 2015. I never have really experienced addiction to any of the multiple drugs I've tried which are supposed to be very addicting. I've only suffered withdrawals from one drug one time, which I've stopped using completely due to the shitty withdrawal. Due to the rise in my use of drugs some of my friends suspect I will become drug dependent or already am. I feel like I can quit ALL drugs anytime I want, but why would I? They're fun and interesting as fuck. I don't think I'm addicted, but am I on the road to become addicted, or will I try something new and become addicted to that? Here is how my drug use started:

Alcohol:
I started drinking underage in the beginning of the summer of 2015, it was my first drug and was very fun when I started using it. My mom was a former alcoholic that used to drink two bottles of wine a day and was in and out of alcohol rehab, so at first I was a little scared I'd become addicted to alcohol. However after months of drinking liquor I was able to stop myself whenever and restart whenever I wanted. I stopped drinking once summer ended and school started back up, I stopped for a month until football season started and friends and I would get wasted at games. Eventually football season ended and I haven't touched alcohol since then, but am always open to.

Tobacco:
I actually started smoking cigarettes once school started. I loved the head rush and still love it to this day. When I first started I'd smoke about three a day, but after seven months I'm down to about one every other day. I was also scared I'd get addicted to these. My mom has smoked a pack a day since she was 13 years old and as much as she wants to quit she can't. But, I don't feel addicted at all, I just do it for the head rush and have cut down on my use. After not getting addicted to nicotine I started to feel like I couldn't get addicted to anything, so I continued trying new things.

Cannabis:
I started smoking bud in the middle of football season at a game. I'm a big fan of it now. I used to get crossfaded as fuck at football games. This is the only drug I've increased use with over time, but once again I can stop anytime I want. I started off smoking bud about once a week. Now I'm up to about two times a day everyday for a week or two, then stopping for a week or two and restarting. Due to the great cannabis feeling I decided to try a new drug with some friends.

Dextromethorphan:
In January I decided to chug a bottle of Robitussin with a few friends. This became my new favorite. But, I've only done this about five times due to the absolutely terrible taste of the drug. Didn't feel addicted to it whatsoever, but I've decided I'm going to do it again in a week.

Cocaine:
By now I felt invincible and just wanted to try every drug. So I went to cocaine, I tried it once. I much rather smoke pot than spend $80/gram on this shit. Never again. Effects weren't that good, so not addicting whatsoever for me.

Concerta/Ritalin:
The first drug I actually felt a withdrawal with. I started doing them in March at 27mg and 40mg doses at school for the focus and euphoria. Nice drug, not addicting at all it seems. Recently I did 80mg of it and got the only withdrawals I've ever had which involved extreme anxiety. Decided I'd never do it again due to the withdrawals, the effects aren't worth it enough.

Xanax:
Apparently also very addicting, did it twice and didn't really see the point of it. Forgot half the stuff I did on it anyways. Planning on trying Valium soon though.

Diphenhydramine:
Another OTC drug like DXM. I did about 250mg of this Benadryl twice and experienced a pleasant feeling of relaxation. Will probably do 300mg soon, want to experience the vivid hallucinations at least once.

Oxycodone:
Did around 15mg a couple weeks ago, going to do 25mg next. Love opiates now because of this, if I don't get addicted to this I plan on trying heroin once.

I want to try a lot of other drugs though for the experience.
I still have my rule if I experience withdrawals that I won't do the drug again.
Any signs of addiction and I plan on not using the drug too.

But, do you think I'm on the road to addiction?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Based on what you posted, yes it does sound as though you are especially said you said how you love opiates, and that you plan on trying heroin.

Also where you posted that you seem to have the mentality that you are invincible and can't get addicted to anything despite having a relative that is an alcoholic.

I'm not sure how old you are but you are playing with fire.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
You are on the road to addiction. I was the same done every drug, opiates was the only one I really liked, can say no to Xanax or alcohol, coke or speed but opiates are different and probly will be for you too if you keep taking them

Once you get to the point where you have trouble with a drug any and all rules you could think of don't matter anymore. It's not like all the heroin addicts set out to become heroin addicts, you don't get a choice in addiction at some point. clearly you know there is something up with your usage so what exactly are you looking for?

Oxycodone:
Did around 15mg a couple weeks ago, going to do 25mg next. Love opiates now because of this, if I don't get addicted to this I plan on trying heroin once.

Doesn't this just say it all? I can tell you, from personal experience, this is the type of warped logic us drug addicts use to justify our use. How old are you dude, I started sniffing heroin when I was 18, by 19 I was shooting dope and coke, by 25 I was homeless and shooting meth, heroin and smoking crack, along with popping tons of benzo's (actually I'd been using benzodiazepines since I was 19 too), now I'm 28 and 2 1/2 months clean, well sort of, I'm just not on heroin and I'm tapering off clonazepam. I'm not saying that your life will instantly fall apart, but it could, and the thing about opiate addiction is that you really don't care about what's happening to you, as long as you can get high. Like, I was totally fine with being homeless, getting spat on and called names every day when I was hustling up my money, hallucinating my ass off on meth to the point where I thought my friends were conspiring to kill me. I really didn't care, AT ALL. When you start doing dope, every boundary you set up for yourself is bypassed. You'll tell yourself:

-I'll never shoot up
-I'll never shoot up in my neck/groin
-I'll never smoke crack
-I'll never do meth
-I'll never let myself become homeless
-I'll never trade sexual favors for money/drugs
-I'll never commit crimes or steal from my family to support my habit

Truth is, you may not have yet, but you sure as hell will given enough time and desperation!

Not looking to give out my age, but I'm in the middle of high school. I know most people, almost everyone who tries it, gets addicted to opiates such as heroin. But there must be some people who try it and just don't get addicted.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs and I can resist having a cigarette for as long as I want easily.

I've had friends who have got addicted to Xanax with their first bar and it took months for them to get out of the drug, for me I don't find it the slightest bit addicting after trying it a few times.

Does anyone know of people who just seem to not get addicted to any drugs, including opiates? Can they control their use or do they need a daily fix? If they faced possible addiction were they able to stop or did they continue using drugs?

Obviously, no drugs are healthy for you. But, except opiates, what about my other drug use? Is this acceptable? I feel absolutely no addiction to any drugs I've tried and can remain sober for as long as I'd like.

Thanks for all your responses, if opiates are truly this addicting for everyone I plan on not using them.

I have known many people that have screwed around with heroin, even IV heroin, for short periods of time. They usually tend to quit when things start to get out of control, and most of them have another addiction, like alcoholism. So basically, they quit before the addiction got them hard. On the other hand some people just don't like opiates.

I thought you were in high school, bro I'm telling you, if you have any dreams or aspirations it's really not worth taking the risk. However if you're determined to do it, no one can stop you, just don't ever say you weren't warned. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I actually think heroin, or any drug is evil, I actually think that if heroin was legal my life would be a lot better, and I could be a successful person. I'm also not going to tell you that being a heroin addict was especially painful for me, because heroin is a pain killer and it allows you to adapt to basically any situation. My girlfriend and I used to wake up with $0 dollars to our names every morning, and by the evening we'd have over $200, money made mostly from panhandling and middle manning. If you want to be a junky, go for it, but you got to have some hard skin, a good ability at compartmentalizing your emotions, and your number one priority has to be heroin. You can't be a part time dope fiend, it's a full time job once you really have a habit.

IMO there is no point in doing heroin with moderation. While that may go against some people's HR values, for me, it was never a possibility or something I even wanted after a while. You're either all in or all out, IMO, because I did the H dance for quite a while trying to hide my addiction from my family, and in the end, having it all out in the open, and living on the street was just easier. It's the kind of drug, that once you get a taste for it, you never want to not be high. Meth was similar for me as well.

Also, I'm not going to tell you whether your drug use is acceptable. That's up to you to decide. Fuck what other people think, think for yourself lil man. Some of the greatest people I ever met would be considered 'degenerates' by 'acceptable'/retarded members of this society. Don't be governed by some lose set of values put in place by a bunch of people who are dead or don't even have your best interests in mind. You choose what is wrong, and what is right for yourself, just think long and hard about it.

Not looking to give out my age, but I'm in the middle of high school. I know most people, almost everyone who tries it, gets addicted to opiates such as heroin. But there must be some people who try it and just don't get addicted.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs and I can resist having a cigarette for as long as I want easily.

I've had friends who have got addicted to Xanax with their first bar and it took months for them to get out of the drug, for me I don't find it the slightest bit addicting after trying it a few times.

Does anyone know of people who just seem to not get addicted to any drugs, including opiates? Can they control their use or do they need a daily fix? If they faced possible addiction were they able to stop or did they continue using drugs?

Obviously, no drugs are healthy for you. But, except opiates, what about my other drug use? Is this acceptable? I feel absolutely no addiction to any drugs I've tried and can remain sober for as long as I'd like.

Thanks for all your responses, if opiates are truly this addicting for everyone I plan on not using them.
You are having the thoughts that all previous addicts had at one point. Which is "I can control it , i mean i have so far for X long". That is one of the first signs of being addicted to me (mentally). Denial that what you are doing can potentially put you in harms way because it hasn't so far. I got addicted to opiates not meaning too. I did DXM , smoked weed , took xanax , lsd, and drank all up too the point before my first opiate use. All these substances i could "stop" whenever i wanted , but there is one that i just didn't want to stop... One night i got hurt while on a trip and i was given Norco from my father to treat the pain. That night i was in bliss and woke up doing all the research i could on my new found love. This was a start to a down hill spiral...

What starts off once a month starts becoming weekly , then bi-weekly till finally every day. Not to mention tolerance rises along with it. If you can still take hydros , oxys , codeine then please never try H. I would like to stress how much you should avoid opiates. I've never seen a drug that people feel in love with so fast and brought them down so hard. There is a reason people would give up everything in their lives just too keep up their habit up and i don't want that to happen to you. I will admit opiates are the most enjoyable class of drugs (too me and i think in general people prefer opiates over uppers) , but that being said.... It leads to being one of the most addictive.

Hello everyone, my narcotics use started in the beginning of the summer of 2015. I never have really experienced addiction to any of the multiple drugs I've tried which are supposed to be very addicting. I've only suffered withdrawals from one drug one time, which I've stopped using completely due to the shitty withdrawal. Due to the rise in my use of drugs some of my friends suspect I will become drug dependent or already am. I feel like I can quit ALL drugs anytime I want, but why would I? They're fun and interesting as fuck. I don't think I'm addicted, but am I on the road to become addicted, or will I try something new and become addicted to that? Here is how my drug use started:

Alcohol:
I started drinking underage in the beginning of the summer of 2015, it was my first drug and was very fun when I started using it. My mom was a former alcoholic that used to drink two bottles of wine a day and was in and out of alcohol rehab, so at first I was a little scared I'd become addicted to alcohol. However after months of drinking liquor I was able to stop myself whenever and restart whenever I wanted. I stopped drinking once summer ended and school started back up, I stopped for a month until football season started and friends and I would get wasted at games. Eventually football season ended and I haven't touched alcohol since then, but am always open to.

Tobacco:
I actually started smoking cigarettes once school started. I loved the head rush and still love it to this day. When I first started I'd smoke about three a day, but after seven months I'm down to about one every other day. I was also scared I'd get addicted to these. My mom has smoked a pack a day since she was 13 years old and as much as she wants to quit she can't. But, I don't feel addicted at all, I just do it for the head rush and have cut down on my use. After not getting addicted to nicotine I started to feel like I couldn't get addicted to anything, so I continued trying new things.

Cannabis:
I started smoking bud in the middle of football season at a game. I'm a big fan of it now. I used to get crossfaded as fuck at football games. This is the only drug I've increased use with over time, but once again I can stop anytime I want. I started off smoking bud about once a week. Now I'm up to about two times a day everyday for a week or two, then stopping for a week or two and restarting. Due to the great cannabis feeling I decided to try a new drug with some friends.

Dextromethorphan:
In January I decided to chug a bottle of Robitussin with a few friends. This became my new favorite. But, I've only done this about five times due to the absolutely terrible taste of the drug. Didn't feel addicted to it whatsoever, but I've decided I'm going to do it again in a week.

Cocaine:
By now I felt invincible and just wanted to try every drug. So I went to cocaine, I tried it once. I much rather smoke pot than spend $80/gram on this shit. Never again. Effects weren't that good, so not addicting whatsoever for me.

Concerta/Ritalin:
The first drug I actually felt a withdrawal with. I started doing them in March at 27mg and 40mg doses at school for the focus and euphoria. Nice drug, not addicting at all it seems. Recently I did 80mg of it and got the only withdrawals I've ever had which involved extreme anxiety. Decided I'd never do it again due to the withdrawals, the effects aren't worth it enough.

Xanax:
Apparently also very addicting, did it twice and didn't really see the point of it. Forgot half the stuff I did on it anyways. Planning on trying Valium soon though.

Diphenhydramine:
Another OTC drug like DXM. I did about 250mg of this Benadryl twice and experienced a pleasant feeling of relaxation. Will probably do 300mg soon, want to experience the vivid hallucinations at least once.

Oxycodone:

I want to try a lot of other drugs though for the experience.
I still have my rule if I experience withdrawals that I won't do the drug again.
Any signs of addiction and I plan on not using the drug too.

But, do you think I'm on the road to addiction?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Please and i mean PLEASEEEEEEE read through this thread http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/704633-Should-I-Try-Heroin-MEGAThread-v-1 it is stock piled full of information and stories too why you shouldn't try H. I really hope you at least skim through it.

Sounds like an opiate addict in the making to me! What you're describing reminds me of myself when I was 15. I did get clean for 2 years when I was about to turn 18 to "grow up and be responsible" then I started smoking weed again when I was 19 and 6 months later at 20 tried IV meth which I also had said since I was 15 that I "might try once." But that broke the IV barrier and every single person around the shitty town and part of town we had just moved to was hooked on heroin and just RAVED about it, so I figured I had to try that ...once ...a week later I'm waking up dopesick wondering what the fuck is wrong w me and that was the beginning of the end.
I have a 21-yo friend I haven't seen in a while but have known since he was like 16 and he had the same attitude as you ...now he literally looks like an end stage cancer patient due to recently developing a bad heroin and meth addiction that started out w weed and then "just occasional" coke and pills, etc.
You're well on your way to losing everything, I'll go ahead and call this one.

^lol, sounds familiar to me too.

The sad thing is though, is that no matter how much I was warned, or warn other people, we always end up 'surprised' when a few years down the line we're strung out and down in the gutter. I feel some sort of obligation to respond to threads like this, even though it's pretty much futile. No one can understand the subtlety's of addiction until they're already too far gone. That's not to say you can't pull yourself out of it, but for me, it's like, I had to go to hell, and then stay there for a really long time, before certain circumstances made me attempt to change...and TBH, I don't know if I really want to. The hard thing to describe to people is how heroin addiction takes over your world. At first I had a lot of aspirations, some of them high, like being an artist, and some of them shallow, like getting laid. Then I started doing heroin, and I still had those aspiration, but over time, my dreams switched from being an artist that did heroin, to a heroin addict that did art. And then for a long time I didn't even care about doing art after 6 years worth of sketchbooks got thrown out by CalTrans (fucking pricks), along with my penny collection (that was the end of that sad attempt to 'save money'). Eventually though I realized my financial means were suffering because I was just another bum on the corner without a dog, and I needed an angle, so I got back into art so that I could make some crazy elaborate "HOMELESS HUNGRY AND GRATEFUL" signs, which became my appeal. The junkie who can draw, the parasite with a talent lol...And even then, at 125 lbs and after 2 years of untreated hep C, 6 months of non-stop meth-induced paranoia/psychosis, I didn't look like someone you'd want to give money to, let alone tell them the time of day. But I always got well!

I just spent the last 10yrs struggling with addiction and started much like yourself. To make this quick, YES I think you are "on the road" to addiction. You're using addictive drugs, it's bound to happen. No matter how careful you are and how educated you get with your drug use, the fact is simple. Using addictive drugs regularly will likely result in some level of addiction.

I started my drug use with just weed and psychedelics. I was a hippyish type kid who swore I would only use cannabis and sometimes psychedelics and ecstasy. I thought doing coke and messing with opiates was stupid. Just asking for trouble. I was right. My first addiction was freebase cocaine I cooked myself. Then I moved on to opiates so I would stop using the coke. Trading one addiction for another. While getting clean off heroin I was put on xanax and clonopin daily. Both addictive drugs. This basically kept me in the addictive MINDSTATE for nearly 10yrs. I relapsed on opiates. I started to get into buying pills and the latest research chemical weekly. My mind was simply obsessed with drug use. Addiction isn't simply being unable to quit for physical reasons, it's very much a mental thing. From reading your drug history I can tell you like experimenting. You're young, I don't fault you for being curious. And experimenting isn't the worst thing when done with harm reduction in mind, but the problem is the drugs you are using are addictive. It's taken me a long time to truly grasp that. Using addictive drugs is just asking for trouble.

I'm now back to my former self for the most part. I only use cannabis and stay away from alcohol and addictive drugs the best I can.

Cannabis is also the only non addictive drug on your list. You seem to enjoy it. Do yourself a favor and get lost into the awesome world that is weed. There are many appealing aspects to it beyond just getting high. It can be a healthy hobby. Using addictive drugs isn't a good hobby. I had to learn that myself. You may too. I'm happy you made this post.

It really doesn't even take everyday use before just getting a good opiate high is really expensive. I don't regret any of my drug use except opiates . your baseline happiness will forever change and it happens faster than you realize. Not being able to be happy doing any activity sucks and the fear of withdrawal all time really breaks me down I'd quit while your ahead

Thanks everyone for your help.

I've decided to not try heroin after hearing all the stories and what you all have said.

However I've found a dealer that sells 80mg Oxy for $20. Due to this cheap price I've decided I will still continue my opiate usage, which I do not plan to turn into me using heroin. I will try to keep my use weekly, if there is a sign of opiate addiction I will stop immediately.

Thanks again everyone.

the problem with that is the signs of opiate addiction appear after your already fucked.

And oxycodone is definitely as addictive as heroin.

Even if your never are and addict your base level of happiness starts to change over time , you just start to become depressed all the time . just by looking at how you talk about opiates already there is a very high chance of addiction.

Look at it this way would you rather be extremely happy 10% of the time and miserable the other 90% ? Because that's how occasional opiate use became for me even at once a week. I would do anything to go back to boring old regular happiness

Good luck..

the problem with that is the signs of opiate addiction appear after your already fucked.

And oxycodone is definitely as addictive as heroin.

Even if your never are and addict your base level of happiness starts to change over time , you just start to become depressed all the time . just by looking at how you talk about opiates already there is a very high chance of addiction.

Look at it this way would you rather be extremely happy 10% of the time and miserable the other 90% ? Because that's how occasional opiate use became for me even at once a week. I would do anything to go back to boring old regular happiness

Good luck..

I agree with everything here. Even if you do not become physically addicted to opiates, psychological addiction is still possible and you sound as though you're already psychologically addicted.

Also, a lot of fake pills laced with fent are now being sold.

Stay safe.

You remind me of myself when I was younger. I feel exactly the same way you do about all the non-opiate drugs you mentioned, ESPECIALLY nicotine, and I ended up struggling quite a bit with opiates. I'm doing well now, having managed to get things under control before any irreparable damage, but that was really thanks to ORT. The point is that if you do continue to do opiates, you may end up having to deal with some hard times ahead of you, regardless of how sure you are you can control it now. Good luck, take care, and never let yourself become too complacent with your use!

Hillbilly heroin. However, that saying never made sense to me bc dope is cheaper than oxy!