• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids am i a true addict?

blackmarket91

Bluelighter
i have a different history i was never addicted to opiates but i started taking methadone from someone wo was giving it to me to hep cope with a horrible patch in life at the time where i was suicidal but didnt want to be anyways i ended up physically addicted and feared the withdrawal stories so i stayed on 3 in a half months ago i got off it ct im still in a house where its there as a roomate has shit tons of takehomes even sells it and i have no desire to take it but i have had percs i take about once a week i could take them at any time but i choose not to cause i dont wana get sick again so i take them on special occasions

i ask because everyone iv talked to said its impossible for me to do that but iv done it fine i was in bad withdrawal during my first 2.5 months and i could have reached for a bottle of it to stop but i didnt so it makes me wonder if i have a true addicts mind

Definition of a "true addict" is not something that can be lightly, or maybe even really at all, given. What is an addict for one person is a recreational user for another. You can go by DSM and see do you fit the criteria. From what you have stated you would fit the criteria for the "opioid use disorder" (abuse, physical dependence, acquisition of substance illegally). So if you go by that manual for psychiatry, you have developed disorder that is now somewhat in remission (you still use oxycodone weekly so you are not even in "real remission").

Having said all that, by my definition you have a problem that is deeper than opioid use disorder. Almost everybody (or everybody) that you would consider an "real addict" is really self medicating, knowingly or unknowingly. If one does not deal with underlying problem that is pushing him towards self medicating than he will most certainly have big trouble. Opioids are great antidepressants/anxyolitics/sedatives so they can help (and mask) a host of different problems. In the beginning... They are also very dangerous because their therapeutic range is narrow and ever changing as your tolerance changes. So it is easy to take a bit more of methadone or combine it with other sedative and not have another chance to resolve the underlying issues.

So, all in all, my opinion - you are certainly on the way of becoming the "real addict", by your definition (which I created from your words).

P.S. I have stopped 6 years opioid use, with last 3 being on buprenorphine, while all the way through the withdrawal i had buprenorphine at home. I am talking about very long withdrawal and I did not succumb to the pull of the pills. I returned them to my doctor after I was out of the woods. I was trying to prove myself the point. I also had easy access to oxycodone (which is actually my opioid of choice) and didn't use them. Read from this what you will.

Take care! :)

If you were in the grip of a serious addiction, there's no way you could be around easily accessible drugs without taking them.

But be careful, you may be able to control it for now, but it's very easy to slip back into bad habits.

I with everyone else you have access to drugs but you chose to do it once a week that not a addict.

There are very few people out there who can completely control their opioid use and I wish I was one of those people. They still do exist though. You might be one but it's not a risk worth taking so as long as you are not redosing 3-10 times a day I wouldn't consider you to be an addict just yet.

Once it's got ya it's got ya though.

There are very few people out there who can completely control their opioid use and I wish I was one of those people. They still do exist though. You might be one but it's not a risk worth taking so as long as you are not redosing 3-10 times a day I wouldn't consider you to be an addict just yet.

Once it's got ya it's got ya though.
nah i only do like 4-6 7.5s once on saturdays when chilling at home tbh tho i dont really even care for it much now so prob gonna stop

You are right on the cusp there, it seems. I’d say your decisions you make now and for the foreseeable future will define your addiction. There is a huge distinction between physical dependence and withdrawals and addiction, itself.

When I was 17 years old I was a raging cocaine addict and that was shortly before anyone really knew what OxyContin was. I would do OC everyday to battle the paranoia and psychosis cocaine caused me at the time, but never once realizing it was addicting, a powerful opioid, to be honest at 17 I didn’t even know what an opioid was. I used them for roughly 3 months (hard to remember exactly), and then I flew to Arizona and stopped everything cold turkey. I had no cognitive ability to understand what physical withdrawals were, I just assumed I would feel awful from stopping cocaine and so I made it 30 days with absolutely nothing and honestly, I don’t even remember being deathly ill at any point.

I flew back home and my soon to be (most toxic) girlfriend was still doing opioids everyday and I really didn’t understand what was happening or why she needed them so badly. One night, after what was probably 45 days completely clean, we were hanging out and she offered me a 20 MG OxyContin. I did it, and that’s when I was able to cognitively able to understand what addiction must be like. The feeling was unlike anything, ever, all the bad, all the pain, all the anxiety, it all just faded. I had never really been able to experience opioids when I was strung out on cocaine, but this time, just... wow... I could just function like a normal human being, it was so freeing. From that day on, I tried desperately hard to not use, but it was just not meant to be, the girl who (I thought) I was in love with couldn’t function without them, and so almost everyday was spent trying to figure out how to get them for her, and then it just became our thing.

Fast forward fourteen years later of being a highly functional opioid addict, the responsibilities and life overcame me and everything collapsed way too fast. In hindsight, I was blinded to the illusion the drug could offer me without realizing it was just that, an illusion wrapped up nicely, hiding itself from the truly horrible pain it would inflict upon me as it’s slave for decades to come.

The reason for this backstory has a reason, I promise. It’s to highlight that the portion of addiction that is psychological is far harder to break than the physical dependence and the withdrawals. And when your physical dependence is large and after many failed attempts to break free of it, it all just compounds and compounds and compounds to a place that is almost impossible to escape.

Your story just reminds me when I was at that pivotal point in my life, and I wish I really had an appreciation of how my actions at that time would change the trajectory of my entire life. If you can avoid the addiction, by all means, it’s the best option in my humble opinion.

@Deru , thanks for the above clear, and Honest description of opiate addiction ! ! As well would like to have had a much greater understanding what Oxy was 12 years ago? I was a 50 year old man going through cancer treatments, and given oxy to use as Needed🤯🤯😠😠! It has not worked out how I would have liked

The reason for this backstory has a reason, I promise. It’s to highlight that the portion of addiction that is psychological is far harder to break than the physical dependence and the withdrawals.

I've been dwelling on this for a long time now. Physical addiction -- many addicts have overcome countless times but psychological addictions... I don't think a single person has overcome that in the history of humanity. Now, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure within my own life all one can do is resist and deny the temptations. They never go away though and are taken with you to your grave.

I don't like benzos but I used them far too much one withdrawal and experienced something of a mild benzo withdrawal. I really didn't even care or have used a benzo since then. The psychological dopamine/endorphin rush just has to compel you to repeatedly harm yourself. Some individuals have absolutely no history of addiction and never will -- until opioids ;) Opioids are strong enough to be the only thing one needs. My mother hated every drug she ever tried except for opiates. I think that opiates may be the only substance that appeals to the majority.

Once it's got you it's got you for life. Literally the cravings don't stop until you die even if you're sober forever. You'll still be thinking about it here and there I promise that.

I'd dispute that actually. I finally came off opiates completely 6 years ago and I have no cravings at all.

I still dabble in opiates such as codeine or poppy pods every now and then but I dont crave them. In fact I dont really like opiates much any more, they just dont do it for me - which is a good thing really.

I've had heroin once in the last six years just because it was there, and hated it.

I'd dispute that actually. I finally came off opiates completely 6 years ago and I have no cravings at all.

I still dabble in opiates such as codeine or poppy pods every now and then but I dont crave them. In fact I dont really like opiates much any more, they just dont do it for me - which is a good thing really.

I've had heroin once in the last six years just because it was there, and hated it.

I really commend you for the progress you've made and I won't sit behind a keyboard putting down someone who has accomplished something that I literally know is borderline impossible at times. I'll take your word for it lol. I personally might make deals with the devil to make the cravings never happen to me ever again :/

I really commend you for the progress you've made and I won't sit behind a keyboard putting down someone who has accomplished something that I literally know is borderline impossible at times. I'll take your word for it lol. I personally might make deals with the devil to make the cravings never happen to me ever again :/

You have to learn to hate everything about the drug. Break that association between heroin and pleasure and the rest follows naturally.

Like I say, I've not been entirely clean since then. Every now and then I'll have a stint on codeine or poppy pods when I was growing them, but I seem incapable of getting high off them now. So I much prefer low doses that are more functional rather than recreational and make sure I've only got enough for a few weeks at the most. Tbh, it's always a relief when I run out. Perhaps I do still have some psychological addiction to a certain extent, but I'm psychologically addicted to all drugs - if it's there I'll do it (except psychedelics). But I assure you I get absolutely no cravings for opiates at all anymore. I do however get cravings for stimulants...

i always hear this term cravings what exactly is it idk if iv truly experienced it other than a want to relax more

Man, I can’t imagine I will ever truly be able to break the association between heroin and pleasure. It’s been years since I’ve done heroin, and if I’m being honest with myself, those reward pathways I built in my brain will be there for life. I’m fairly certain those pathways never go away, we just build new pathways and branches to those new pathways, but the old ones will always remain. Something like heroin addiction I can imagine creates some pretty large pathways, especially for someone like myself who was a functional addict and it encompassed every aspect of my life. I also think it’s normal to not crave for opioids (depending upon the person, I would imagine), I never crave them like I would say, a stimulant, but I also will never forget the pleasure heroin had to offer. I’m just wiser now to know that the brief pleasure it brings is a mere illusion to it’s true identity and what using it truly entails.

i always hear this term cravings what exactly is it idk if iv truly experienced it other than a want to relax more

True cravings are only really experienced when you're in withdrawal. Trust me, you don't want to find out what they're like.

However, psychological cravings can persist long after the withdrawal is over, but this is a sure sign that you haven't beaten the addiction.

Last edited:
True cravings are only really experienced when you're in withdrawal. Trust me, you don't want to find out what they're like.

However, psychological cravings can persist long after the withdrawal is over, but this is a sure sign that you haven't beaten the addiction.

iv had bad methadone withdrawal i mean i wanted t use it again for the feeling id get and to stop the withdrawal but i hear guys having them when they are completely sober so not sure of the feeling

Man, I can’t imagine I will ever truly be able to break the association between heroin and pleasure. It’s been years since I’ve done heroin, and if I’m being honest with myself, those reward pathways I built in my brain will be there for life. I’m fairly certain those pathways never go away, we just build new pathways and branches to those new pathways, but the old ones will always remain. Something like heroin addiction I can imagine creates some pretty large pathways, especially for someone like myself who was a functional addict and it encompassed every aspect of my life. I also think it’s normal to not crave for opioids (depending upon the person, I would imagine), I never crave them like I would say, a stimulant, but I also will never forget the pleasure heroin had to offer. I’m just wiser now to know that the brief pleasure it brings is a mere illusion to it’s true identity and what using it truly entails.

i for sure was not functional when i was on methadone i just wanted to lay in bed and watch youtube and be on my computer never wanted to go out and do anything

funny people on forums would say its cause i have low test but thats only half of it it took away all my ambition as well as the lack of energy from developing low test

You have to learn to hate everything about the drug. Break that association between heroin and pleasure and the rest follows naturally.

Like I say, I've not been entirely clean since then. Every now and then I'll have a stint on codeine or poppy pods when I was growing them, but I seem incapable of getting high off them now. So I much prefer low doses that are more functional rather than recreational and make sure I've only got enough for a few weeks at the most. Tbh, it's always a relief when I run out. Perhaps I do still have some psychological addiction to a certain extent, but I'm psychologically addicted to all drugs - if it's there I'll do it (except psychedelics). But I assure you I get absolutely no cravings for opiates at all anymore. I do however get cravings for stimulants...

Of course--it upsets me deeply that sobriety = pure unfiltered abstinence. That line of thinking within the USA in my opinion hurts addicts more than it helps them. It traps them in a Disney Land-like fantasy world to the point that when they relapse.. the guilt consumes them and encourages them to use even more! However an occasional codeine or poppy pod is infinitely a major improvement over redosing heroin 12 times a day, and not being able to hold a job or raise a child because of the sedation/sickness. Keep it up! :) We always need success stories because on the surface we only see addicts who ruin their entire lives to get their fix. It's not often that someone would willingly tell others about their past struggles and triumphs (because of the glares someone receives when even bringing up the word heroi--(that which shall not be named)). Drugs are bad mmkay! No drugs ever! Druggggs.

"To drugs or not to drugs--that is the question." - Drugspeare 123 AD.

Last edited: