Alice in Chains - anyone obsessed like myself?

Wow. That is a pretty hot headed response. You need to back way, way up. His music is very very triggering BECAUSE it is sooo deep, sad and very very good. I cannot listen to certain songs because of how well he was able to articulate where he was at that time. Now the heavier stuff, yes I can listen to. But I know if I do, I will inevitably go to the songs that do those things to me.

yeah...... I kind of agree. Layne was gifted and deep but my life is already shitty enough I don't need someone to remind me about it or wallow in the misery. I like music that helps me forget or takes a little more light hearted approach on the subject matter. Sometimes its just a little to depressing and can make me want to use as I take on the embodiment of the music.

AIC are still a great and influential band and no disrespect to Layne.

I wanna settt you freeeeeeee, recognizeeeeeeeee my diseaseeeeeeeeeeeee..
love, sex, pain, confusion, suffffffferrrrrringgggggggggggggg
youre there cryingggggggggg, I feeeel NOTTT AAA THAAANNNGGGGG!
drillinggggg my way deeperrrrr in your headddddddddd
sinking, draining, drowning, bleedinddddddggggggg, deaddddddddd

its def. the most GRUNGE/ROCK.. but what relates the most to me would be DIRT! but thats just the junkie in me loving the music, the lyrics, and the overall love of the music and the lead, Layne.

I WANNA SET YOU FREEEEE.. RECOGNIZE MY DISEASE!

not many bands out there where I could listen to every CD and NEVER ONCE hit that forward button. only other band where you wont see me hit forward is The Beatles; they are classic/brilliant in many of their own ways, but there is nothing I can relate to more than AIC/Layne.

I'll even give DuVall credit nowadays; the music is still great. although, I dont listen to the new AIC nearly as much as I listen to the old AIC. in fact, the only reason I truly listen to the new AIC is out of respect to Jerry and Layne; otherwise I am not a huge fan of DuVall. I do like alot of what Jerry had to write, and how it relates to the past, present and future.

it does kill me to see DuVall perform songs like Junkhead.. really DuVall? are you an ex junkie? are you struggling? are you losing your battle to addiction? I understand he does it for the fans and Jerry is right there w/ him and has his back, but its just NOT THE SAME!

Ugh.. I refuse to listen to AiC with Duvall in it. Hell no.

NO LAYNE? NO ALICE IN CHAINS!!!!!!

Ugh.. I refuse to listen to AiC with Duvall in it. Hell no.

NO LAYNE? NO ALICE IN CHAINS!!!!!!

HAHA, I am w/ you on that, man! I just still listen because I gotta give LOVEEE to Jerry! it just DOESNT LOOK RIGHT w/ DuVall as the front man, right? a black dude w/ an AFRO and bell bottom jeans being the front man of ALICE IN CHAINS!?!? whatttttttttttttttttt kidddddddddddddd!? ha. NEVER what I would have expected or wanted from AIC but I still gotta show love for Jerry and Layne and Starr and Kinney.. notice I do not mention DuVall in there, ha. just DOESNT LOOK RIGHT seeing DuVall sing any of the old; esp. when you see DuVall singing Junkhead.

Ready - DuVall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OC3dFdXLVg

Ready - Layne - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9GAEFTeWko

is there even a comparison? now I am NOT HATING on DuVall.. but come on, man!

HAHA, I am w/ you on that, man! I just still listen because I gotta give LOVEEE to Jerry! it just DOESNT LOOK RIGHT w/ DuVall as the front man, right? a black dude w/ an AFRO and bell bottom jeans being the front man of ALICE IN CHAINS!?!? whatttttttttttttttttt kidddddddddddddd!? ha. NEVER what I would have expected or wanted from AIC but I still gotta show love for Jerry and Layne and Starr and Kinney.. notice I do not mention DuVall in there, ha. just DOESNT LOOK RIGHT seeing DuVall sing any of the old; esp. when you see DuVall singing Junkhead.

Ready - DuVall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OC3dFdXLVg

Ready - Layne - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9GAEFTeWko

is there even a comparison? now I am NOT HATING on DuVall.. but come on, man!

I can't even... duvall performing junkhead is laughable... jerry is great, and all.. but duvall, idk.. he just ruins the whole thing for me.. lol I can't get into the 'new' AiC... layne was too unique to be replaced.

\m/

I may one up you in my love of AIC boston brown town. I even went ahead and tried this even though it is sac religious imo just tried to cover up the really hard high notes. And I got an AIC tatoo on my right arm.

Last edited:
Duvall smiles and shit when he sings junkhead it's ridiculous no pain or suffering seems to ever have touched his soul just my opinion

I WANNA SET YOU FREEEEE.. RECOGNIZE MY DISEASE!

not many bands out there where I could listen to every CD and NEVER ONCE hit that forward button. only other band where you wont see me hit forward is The Beatles; they are classic/brilliant in many of their own ways, but there is nothing I can relate to more than AIC/Layne.

I'll even give DuVall credit nowadays; the music is still great. although, I dont listen to the new AIC nearly as much as I listen to the old AIC. in fact, the only reason I truly listen to the new AIC is out of respect to Jerry and Layne; otherwise I am not a huge fan of DuVall. I do like alot of what Jerry had to write, and how it relates to the past, present and future.

it does kill me to see DuVall perform songs like Junkhead.. really DuVall? are you an ex junkie? are you struggling? are you losing your battle to addiction? I understand he does it for the fans and Jerry is right there w/ him and has his back, but its just NOT THE SAME!

I may one up you in my love of AIC boston brown town. I even went ahead and tried this even though it is sac religious imo just tried to cover up the really hard high notes. And I got an AIC tatoo on my right arm.

good performance, dude. post your AIC tat.

Thanks man but it was bad so I just did a second take this time I said fuck the nieghbors and screamed out the chorus I think it was more in the spirit of Layne. I have the AIC sun logo tatted on my right arm. Man I saw Duval a few years back and I dont think he should do love hate love out of respect for the song tbh.

Mannnn the first CD I ever bought was FaceLift and I've been thanking whoever for a long time!

Mad Season/AIC, just Layne Staley in general.

not sure if its just cause the junkie that I am, or the guys voice is truly untouchable, but been obsessed w/ these guys/guy for a long-ass time. first got into them back in highschool before the "hard" drugs even hit, but really never understood the lyrics until my life started to get worse, and worse, AND WORSE! nowadays its something that easy to relate to; well, not just nowadays but for the last 13yrs or so.

anyone else?

This is my favorite song they played at this concert.

its amazing how Layne says, "I am going to try and NOT fuck this one up" and then puts out that performance. guy was just a genius, man.

There's been alot of threads about Layne Staley. He was a genius at conveying his emotion. I would put him above Cobain anyday.
I just put this on and my usual pop loving daughter is totally getting her groove on. I am impressed.
[video=youtube_share;HetrrBZl888]http://youtu.be/HetrrBZl888[/video]

huge Beatles guy, esp. Lennon himself, so working class hero was always a great one.

Just had the joy of telling my kids about them. We have lessons. My daughter liked Hey Jude but we ran across MerZbow somehow and now my son wants to make noise music. That derailed a bit

love alice in chains and starting to get into mad seasons [video=youtube_share;N_GPxe91hWE]http://youtu.be/N_GPxe91hWE[/video]