• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alcoholism Discussion Thread Version 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skipped drinking this week two days (a new record!) But had about the worst week ever and hit the bar tonite.for a pint and hydroflask.to.go.
As I was walking out,. A coworker from many years ago recognized me.and we had a great chat.

So hard to get sober when your only.Real social life involves seeing a few bar-tenders / regulars each week.

Also.Got word this evening that my license is indefinitely suspended due to recent worthless ER.admissions.

I can walk to the local breweries/beer outlets and not my job (different county) .. not sure how I'll.stay sober now

Congratulations!!:)
Does it get any easier?

Sorry I missed this but yes it very much does... hard to put it into words how different I feel today when compared to just a 1,2,3 moths clean, hell their is a world of difference from how I felt at 6 months compared to now.

10 months and around a week for me!

I more or less crashed and burned not long ago, and ended up going to detox for the upteenth time for alcohol withdrawal. I was reluctant to pursue a 30-90 day rehab. In my experience, though, going straight home after detox doesn't establish the most solid effort for sobriety (for me). I've always eventually relapsed, sometimes even within hours of returning home.

I've tried different short term dual diagnosis programs in the past, and had some good and some bad experiences. I've tried to give this particular one a shot in my area that seemed really nice. It allows for a short term treatment, but I'm planning for a full 30 days. The facility is essentially a beautiful lodge, most of the staff are attentive and offer a lot of help, and I'm hoping to make the most of it without falling into an emotional trap. If I do, however, there are people around who are willing to listen. The rooms are very spacious, one roommate, large flat screen TV with cable in each room, wifi with the ability to use my laptop and phone 6:00-10:30 PM. I'm surprised my insurance covered it. I like it for the most part. I'm relaxed. It is residential, but I don't often hear it referred to as a rehab. But it serves the same purpose. It is for people newly in recovery or struggling with it, and who have co-existing psychiatric troubles.

I've been sober for a little over a week. The problems that perhaps led me to the bottle and the drugs are still present, but hopefully I'll finally find a way to quiet my mind. Many people replied to a recent thread of mine in TDS, where they suggested that I look into mindfulness. We happened to have done a group session on mindfulness here (we do several groups throughout the day), and I'm finding that there may be something truly effectiveness in its approach.

Am too broke to be drinking this week. Fuck have been borrowing a lot of money from people to fund my booze drinking. It's now reached a point where I can't borrow any more and am not working and depression coupled with anxiety has been taking its toll on me. I need to be sober for me and so that I can get back on track again.

I finished a Masters degree FFS and that was 3 years ago, am yet to use it properly and this has all been because I've chosen alcohol over anything else.

It will get better.

Hey guys, new to not drinking. Will be posting around. Besides cider, I like growing things, poultry, Grateful Dead music, dancing, live music, all kinds of fungi, gardening in general, organic chemistry, psychedelics on occasion. . .

hey.

I've actually accomplished something I thought I would never be able to do. I've been drinking(not getting drunk)on one of my days off, keeping a job and actually progressing in life. I don't know if its maturity, divine intervention or what. Even my girl is extremely surprised and calling me an old man, cause everytime in the past when I attempted controlled drinking, I failed miserably. I guess anything is possible.

Sorry for the double post but reading this thread I'm asserting that so many people on here have so much more going/given to/for them in life than to be getting hammered. Wtf is wrong in your personal lives to sucumb to this shit? If I had half the support (financial, moral, family)of half of you I would be entertaing so many different avenues in life. Wtf!?...No wonder the whole world hates this cuntry.

If I had half the support (financial, moral, family)of half of you I would be entertaing so many different avenues in life.

Recovering addicts tend not to find this sentiment particularly helpful (they usually harbor enough guilt and shame already (as if you should have "some" :p)).

ebola

I should have some what? Guilt and shame? Listen, I harbor enough guilt and shame to fill a man made reservoir. Starting from early childhood and it goes a lot deeper than maxing out my daddy's credit card or asking mommy to pay my rent for ten years or while I casually enjoy creature comforts at somebody else's expense and participate in irresponsible behavior, just because my social status allows me to do so. Every bag of dope, every bottle, I payed for, not mommy and daddy. I wonder how many of these posters would actually be "addicts" without enablement from their "hip", rich parents. The last part of your comment is ambiguous. :p?

I think I phrased my last comment poorly. I meant that no one is benefited by guilt and shame, so it needn't be added to without purpose.

ebola

Agreed. I like your avatar. I wish I could find a sticker like that. Got a fixie last year, only rode it once due to my house arrest, stemming from a poss. charge. I live in Chicago and it's like a two season city. ...And I missed mine. lol. There's always this year.
Later.

what up, TurkeyRanch.

congrats on five years, Xhander!

do you all tell people that you don't drink? does anyone make an effort to hide that they no longer drink?

Am fucken thirsty for a drink right now but I have no cash, have used up all resources and have to wait for finances until Thursday next week.

This anxiety is killing me - FUCK FUCK FUCK

Aren't you in the northern burbs? You go/used to go to oakton? Sorry if I'm thinking of someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.