• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Alcohol vs Weed

Id suggest getting some coolers and trying that out. Its easy to get addicted to drinking though. I'm on the weed side for the weed vs alcohol debate. Weed just lasts longer, is less harmful and you won't end up having to try and remember what you did the night before. But if you've never drank, trying it will be fun. The feeling at first is cool like your your lighter than you were, also gives you more self esteem I find... take it easy :)

Id suggest getting some coolers and trying that out. Its easy to get addicted to drinking though. I'm on the weed side for the weed vs alcohol debate. Weed just lasts longer, is less harmful and you won't end up having to try and remember what you did the night before. But if you've never drank, trying it will be fun. The feeling at first is cool like your your lighter than you were, also gives you more self esteem I find... take it easy :)

I just don't understand this statement though a lot of people say it.

I've drank large amounts on and off for long periods and never once had withdrawal symptoms from alcohol.

I am NOT advising that people do this, but back in college I had at least 8 drinks a night 3 nights a week--Thursday-Saturday nights, then I didn't drink at all Sundays-Wednesdays and I NEVER got addicted.

After doing that for YEARS when I graduated I went 30 days without alcohol and never had a single withdrawal symptom.

I think it's actually very HARD to get physically addicted to alcohol to the point of withdrawal symptoms, but other than that it's obviously EXTREMELY unhealthy in so many ways.

I wouldn't recommend heavy drinking, but I just don't understand everyone saying it's "So" addictive because any other addictive substance will get you having withdrawal symptoms if you have it 3 nights in a row every week.

If you drink with someone (which I would reccomend, please don't drink vodka for your first time alone, that's not only just kinda sad but very unsafe) pour six shots on the table, and down 3 each, and don't drink anymore. Have someone hide the bottle or something. I'd reccomend doing the salt-lime thing, but that's just my thing personally if I'm doing shots... which I don't, really.

i can't even read the OP due to editing but it's impossible to recommend alcohol or weed to someone who hasn't tried it, it depends on person, the situation etc.

if i had to choose just alcohol or just weed i'd go with alcohol probably i usually do both together though.

Addiction is different for everyone, there's not many ways to tell who will become addicted to whatever. I think it's something like 13 million people in America who have reported having a drinking problem. And I think that alcohol is in the top four for psychological and physical dependency.. But like I said everyone reacts differently..

weed drink makes me blackout and cost way to much just to get a buzz going

they both have their positives, but be carful with alcohol, i got pretty hooked on it for a while.

both great obviously its not like comparing dank or shwag haha wtf u talking about! basically there both great u just gotta find ur drink though
If you read a little closer you would see the dank/schwag analogy is in relation to drinking good or shitty liquor, not actually about weed dude -_-

When people evaluate a drug they usually look at how good the high is, how bad the side effects are, etc. I feel like alcohol gets a pass it doesn't deserve in this respect, likely because it's ubiquitous and socially acceptable in a way no other drugs are. In my opinion, alcohol is a pretty awful drug. The high is mediocre at best, the side effects are atrocious and largely unavoidable, it's pretty miserable to choke down, and frankly it's both dangerous and addictive. It always amazes me how people who suck that poison down every week will shun weed, shrooms, nitrous, etc thinking they're lethal and disreputable. Alcohol is a neurotoxin! And whenever I'm even a little drunk I find my decision making is noticeably degraded in a way I don't see from other drugs.

All that said, there's no easy answer for how to use alcohol if you want to. Everyone has their own preferences and you have to experiment to discover them. I like good whiskey or tequila straight (the cheap stuff sucks) or a burgundy red wine. For someone who's never drank before, I like the screwdriver suggestion because it's a pretty inoffensive drink for the average person and drinking beer just fills up your stomach unpleasantly. I'd drink beer to enjoy the taste if you're into that kind of thing, hard liquor to get drunk. Obviously just my opinion, though. Drink slowly! I'd set a limit beforehand and stick to it. Don't mix different kinds of alcohol, you'll get different congeners building up and therefore worse side effects.

In my opinion wine(moscato for me) goes the best with weed. I used to be a huge drinker and never smoke but once every 4 months or so socially. I got to the point where I could down entire half gallon of bourbon in a long enough day and I was cracking open beers at 7:30 a.m. before work. Pretty much borderline alcoholic. What got me off the alcohol wasn't weed it was oxy, and that is a way worse addiction. I got into a bad car wreck and was given oxys after being released from the hospital and of course while there for 2 days I didn't have anything to drink and strangely I didn't crave it either. So for about a year I didn't even touch a drop. Now I drink everyone once and awhile and socially but nothing like I used to but my tolerance to alcohol is still pretty high. A decent drink with a few oxys gives a great buzz, but back more on topic after not drinking for awhile starting last December I started smoking weed every night before I went to bed instead of drinking and wow is it so much better in my opionion. No hangovers and the worst thing that happens is that I eat my entire kitchen. Since then I have not even had a desire to drink and when I try to I just feel sick. I'm one of those people though that if I drink I can have one drink and stop but if I finish my second I'm going to drink another 13 more even if it makes me feel sick. So I just try and stay away from the stuff now for the most part, but like I said in the beginning wine is great while smoking, about a week ago I drank a fifth of barefoot moscato and smoked a good bit and it felt great, the wine just gives a more relaxing buzz than other alcohols. I had a slight headache when waking up but overall nothing too terrible compared to my younger years. Just my two cents.

how can you even compare a shitty poison like alcohol with such a benign, forgiving and all round awesome drug such as marijuana.

how can you even compare a shitty poison like alcohol with such a benign, forgiving and all round awesome drug such as marijuana.

alcohol is good for gettin roudy and bout it bout it, weed makes me more passive/introverted. that's just me though.

i usually do both at the same time, maybe throw some uppers in the mix to wake my ass up.

To me, the biggest contrast between the effects of the two is that alcohol generally depresses the functioning of the brain while weed generally stimulates the functioning of the brain.

The other is that alcohol is processed through the body at the rate of about 1 standard drink per hour, depending on a lot of factors including age, weight, gender, ethnicity, etc, while weed can persist in the body for days, also depending on a lot of factors including age, weight, gender, ethnicity, etc.

As a creative person and scientist, my initial impulse upon reading your original post was to discourage you from trying alcohol if you haven't done so yet.

Anything more than very casual use (1 to 3 standard drinks over a 3 hour period) does no good for your brain. Heavy use can be damaging to the brain and other parts of the body.

In the interest of experimentation on the other hand, assuming you're old enough and responsible enough, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it.

There are certain advantages to depressing brain function slightly, such as for example if you are uptight when it comes to social interaction with people you might like to get to know better.

Unfortunately, that way too lies dependence if you're psychologically so inclined.

And if you do overdo it, there is this nasty effect of alcohol (which I've never heard of happening with weed) called a black-out, in which for lack of better description, most of the brain whose function makes us human shuts down and the body runs on a sort of primitive auto-pilot, completely lacking any form of censorship.

This can result in the person who blacks out
doing things they would normally never even consider doing and
not remembering any of it.

As with all mood-altering compounds, if you know when to say enough's enough, you should be OK. If not, you might not be OK.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but suggesting...

1. Give your vehicle keys to someone whom you trust not to return them to you under any circumstances until you're clearly sober again. It is never advisable to operate machinery while under the influence of any compound, prescribed or not. However, in my opinion, I would always rather be driven by a vehicle operator who is buzzed than by one who is drunk. Drunk driving is generally an unmitigated disaster while buzzed driving is not so much, in spite of what the authorities would like you to believe.

2. Don't drink in the presence of anyone who will reject you on the basis of whatever you might say or do while drinking and whose continued relationship you'd like to maintain, i.e. employers and other people who do not necessarily love you.

Other than that, I wish you luck.

BTW, if you're probably going to have sex or listen to music, you will completely defeat your purpose by drinking alcohol vs consuming weed. There is simply no contest there.

Skimmed through thread and im sure he got his answer after 2 posts or so, but drink Vodka with orange juice until you can't see shit straight 8)

I'm probably in the minority of people who have genuinely given both marijuana and alcohol many honest chances, but my personality demands that alcohol wins. My family is all alcoholic on three related sides plus one that's more unrelated, so I was practically destined to be an alcoholic. And I'm OK with that; I'm really a reserved person, and kind of in a constant heightened state socially, so that I seem high on weed when sober if I've even been socializing for a while. I enter this state of exhaustion that I correlated instantly with weed. Alcohol for me, in that case, doesn't make me into a chaotic asshole like it should, whereas in sober situations I might come off as a bitter tight-ass. Pot leaves me in a dreamlike state for days after even one joint, and I often make the dumbest logical decisions. When the blunt we were smoking went rolling under my friend's seat, I literally could not find it for twenty minutes and got them pissed when they looked for it themselves and found that it was right in front of me. It's that bad. I make really dumb logical errors and need a whole weekend to get a ton of sleep.

Alcohol, on the other hand, while likely going to cost me in my future, helps me relax better and even during a really bad hangover I never really felt the headache part of it which is probably the most annoying. Some coffee and a tasty breakfast cure that up real quick for me. I enjoy the taste of food more with alcohol, and for some reason, oddly...you won't believe this but it's true--I don't eat at all when I'm stoned! I just don't feel compelled in any way. I can't socialize at all on the stuff, as I said, so I guess it's useful sparingly just to stretch out the muscles. Alcohol's "relaxing" effect on the body definitely feels more artificial, especially knowing it's gonna backfire within a few hours.

The thing both these drugs have in common, however, is the aftereffects, which I find even better than the highs themselves. Is there any other drug user that uses mainly for the end results? Alcohol really kicks the mind into high gear the next day; I become more focused on paring down my thoughts and putting them to use, more aggressive. Admittedly, the lack of sleep it causes even in the same night is inconvenient, and my main problem with alcohol. Sleep deprivation comes real easily. But with pot I find I sleep way too much, and even with coffee wind up groggy again later that day. But even when it all slowly fades away, assuming I don't smoke regularly, there is a greater understanding of you that may amount to something the first couple of times. But for an introvert, I really don't know how much more there is to learn about myself. Only about how I relate to people, and as it turns out, alcohol wins by a landslide in this respect.

I bring all this personal experience up because any reaction to any drug is based first and foremost off your personality type. Probably genetics as well. Healthwise, there is no doubt pot is healthier, but you gotta decide what's best for you. I could not live my life sober because my mind is ever so rebellious and challenging of the status quo. Some people can. But most people can't stand long-term sobriety and just don't know it. Peace.