• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Alcohol or Benzos?

Wow, I have several small scars on my face, some I sort of remember, others ? At least you didn't get cirrhosis of the liver like my dumbass. I take 3 x10mg Valium a day. That was to get me off, of Ativan. They do nothing to me, except possibly prevent an agonizing death.

Last edited:
i'm trying to get of valium, today is day 2 with none. Been averaging 30mg a day for months now. I tapered a bit last week, fastly... to fast i think. I have some special K, i am tempted to try it for my first time as it may help with these wd symptoms

i'm trying to get of valium, today is day 2 with none. Been averaging 30mg a day for months now. I tapered a bit last week, fastly... to fast i think. I have some special K, i am tempted to try it for my first time as it may help with these wd symptoms
Lots of people on this board who know more than me will give you solid tapering advice and support in quitting. You might have tapered too quickly if you went from 30 mg a day to zero in a week. You may or may not be in seizure territory, so please learn what you can and be safe and you've got this!

I don't have experience with real benzo wds but I've got to think that the K will help quite a bit for the extremely short period of time it lasts and it probably wouldn't be great for you to stay in a K hole for for days on end while your wds pass...

I also find K to be a marvelously therapeutic drug IF you can avoid it becoming a habit. Some can and some can't. I personally can do it for a couple days every few months and leave it at that. But for those who it becomes a habit--look at the pictures of what they piss out and that should scare you away.

I also find K to be a marvelously therapeutic drug IF you can avoid it becoming a habit. Some can and some can't. I personally can do it for a couple days every few months and leave it at that. But for those who it becomes a habit--look at the pictures of what they piss out and that should scare you away.
Therapeutic intentions for sure. i only have a gram of the stuff, one giant shard, looks straight outta breaking bad lol

Benzos for sure. Fuck being a alcoholic that shit is fucked
My doctor said it would take a year to a year and a half to get off Benzos. I have switched from ( lorazepam) Ativan, a short acting benzo to (diazepam) Valium.
I am an alcoholic who no longer can drink, and I was an all day drinker at times. I got cirrhosis of the liver at 39 years old. The withdrawals at there worst lasted 5 days,(no medical help) and then I would be fine. Shorter and easy if I had benzos and opiods, and was hospitalized. Then it was all psychological. With long term Benzo use it take so much longer and because of my 7+ years of use, I might die if I went CT.
When I drank I went Cold Turkey so many times and suffered at least a couple hundred times over 21 years. No insurance and no one to help other than on occasion I would pass out publicly and be hospitalized and be fine quickly.
I am not sure what to do about Benzos, I am on a long acting one, Valium, 10mg x3 per day
But this may be a life sentence. They do nothing for me but keep the Grim Reaper from Knocking at my door.
Benzos are great for short term use, but after a while they turn on you and long term use, if stopped CT can be fatal. Benzos have affected my brain. Yes alcohol killed many brain cells of mine but be benzos have messed with it worse in less time.
P. A. might think he is a holistic doctor or something but he knows not about this: The way I do.

i'm trying to get of valium, today is day 2 with none. Been averaging 30mg a day for months now. I tapered a bit last week, fastly... to fast i think. I have some special K, i am tempted to try it for my first time as it may help with these wd sympthoms
you have the best thing for any withdrawal but you need to be smart with factors outside of drug domene also( pumping yourself with vitamins and proteins, take magnesium malate f.e. with it as it is also some nmethylDaspartate antagonism speeds up the homeostasis
also be aware as trips on ketamine while in full blown withdrawal can be very confusing but i went through it twice and i liked them and funny I remember them!

There needs to be much more research but glutamine/ mate plays a huge role in effects at a homeostasis of brain/mind and body.
Take Nac in 1800mg twice a day

L-theanine and I don't know why phosfaditilserine

Wow, I have several small scars on my face, some I sort of remember, others ? At least you didn't get cirrhosis of the liver like my dumbass. I take 3 x10mg Valium a day. That was to get me off, of Ativan. They do nothing to me, except possibly prevent an agonizing death.
What bothers me about Diazepam ( at doses of 40 mg or higher)is that it imo unlike other benzo's really gives you a feeling that reminds off being stoned.

Lasted till 12 days after cessation, Never had that with an benzo, a noticeable recreative side besides Temazepam. But the Diazpam 2 mg tab's seem like really helpfull for a taper.

I was talking about alcohol is easier to get off, of than Benzos. Alcohol 5 day withdrawal, after horrible binges. (I drank for over 20 years) You misunderstood what I was saying.
Benzos will take me, I have been on them 7+ years, a year to 18 months if I want to stop.
Also, I was having a conversation with a fellow former drinker.

Therapeutic intentions for sure. i only have a gram of the stuff, one giant shard, looks straight outta breaking bad lol
I unfortunately use 30mg of Valium a day. I got on it to get off the stronger short acting Ativan( lorazepam). Been on them almost a few months but benzos for almost 7 years.(legit, I have a script)
Withdrawal for me could be fatal. It is good that you are getting off them. I was told Valium has a long half-life and easier to get off, of than short acting(Xanax, Ativan ect).
Are you fairly young and healthy(otherwise)? Any heart issues?if

I unfortunately use 30mg of Valium a day. I got on it to get off the stronger short acting Ativan( lorazepam). Been on them almost a few months but benzos for almost 7 years.(legit, I have a script)
Withdrawal for me could be fatal. It is good that you are getting off them. I was told Valium has a long half-life and easier to get off, of than short acting(Xanax, Ativan ect).
Are you fairly young and healthy(otherwise)? Any heart issues?if
60hrs so far, no valium. took flexeril last night and that knocked me out. Pushing thru day 3 now, rebound anxiety is the biggest obstacle among other strange sensations.

I should taper more properly, i don't want to tho. Thankful for cannabis

I wonder if the withdrawal is like alcohol withdrawal. Any cold sweats, headaches, appetite loss or nauseous?
Hopefully no heart trouble
Good luck

60hrs so far, no valium. took flexeril last night and that knocked me out. Pushing thru day 3 now, rebound anxiety is the biggest obstacle among other strange sensations.

I should taper more properly, i don't want to tho. Thankful for cannabis
with diazepam very long halflife you could easily still have some in your system

honestly man tapering is the way forward, even if it's a relatively quick one - stay safe mate

with diazepam very long halflife you could easily still have some in your system

honestly man tapering is the way forward, even if it's a relatively quick one - stay safe mate
thanks i'm tempted to taper but I don't want to add more to my system now that i'm 3 days clear and free. If things get real hairy i will take just 5mg valium as needed and not exceed 10 per day for a week, then jump off again. My real fear is a seizure from the WD's, but i've never had one and not a long time user of high doses so fingers crossed no seizing lol

If
OK, really stupid thread and I know the correct answer is "neither."

But if somebody were holding a gun to your head and you had to choose between being addicted to alcohol or being addicted to benzos, which would you pick to give yourself the best chance of getting clean again 6-8 months in the future?

Really stupid premise, I know. Just feeling so lonely and isolated, and in need of anything that will help me connect with the people around me. The only viable option for meeting someone around here are the bars. I try to go to bars, deal with the judgement and eye rolls when I ask the bar tender for something non-alcoholic and it's usually only water. I know a couple of drinks, or a 10 mg valium would put me at ease to strike up and hold an conversation with one of the many pretty girls who are literally looking to meet someone like me. But this damn shell of mine doesn't want to let me come out. It sucks.

4 years without alcohol, and never really missed it. Was a heavy binge drinker for maybe 15 years before that. Dabbling in benzos is a recent thing, and hopefully stopped before dependence became an issue.

Sorry for the rant. My intention is to not use either, but for the first time in 4 years starting to wonder if the social benefits I'd get from getting some drinks at the bar would outweigh the shit I'll have to go through to try to stop again once this bout of loneliness/isolation passes. It's like people pick up on my lonely vibe and want nothing to do with me if I try to talk to them.

I'm reminded of the Doors song "people are strange." Every word of that song rings true to me right now.

End rant. Time for a soda water and being awkward at the bar after this long ass run I just went for
If you can have just a couple beers to loosen up socially I would say that is pretty normal and not really an issue. You don’t have to get totally plastered to socialize or bring benzos into the mix.

Benzos are way better. Civilized drug. Alcohol made me an imbecile. But The key factor is The dose.