• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin advice on getting off H- please help

Hipster427

Bluelighter
I have been an opiate user for about 4 1/2 years or so- it all started out with getting hit by a drunk driver and now having bulging discs in my cervical spine. i recently went from taking the norcos and roxys to doing a little H. cant afford the roxys anymore. ive only being doing the h for about 3 weeks ago or so and im not doing a ton of it. and i only toot it- i never have used a needle and i will never use a needle. how hard would it be for me to quit using after only doing it for about 3 weeks or so? will the withdrawals be bad? any other tips or recommendations for coming off it other than the typical home remedies? Please help.
Thank you for your time.

when does it become illegal? Does the kratom really work with withdrawals? which type and how many mgs to keep the withdrawals not too intense?

It becomes illegal sep 30th, of course it works. Any type from a reputable vendor will work and its measured in grams and that will depend on you and the size of your habit.

it took me around a month and a half of tooting h before i experienced wd's, you may have just dodged them but ofc if you were using pills on the daily before that you're almost certainly gonna get them.

try a rapud buprenorphine/subutex taper.

Second the Kratom, get a brick or two, I ended a multi year addiction with it.

Dope and pills, then suboxone then Kratom. Kicked Kratom cold turkey, was back at work 5 days later, easy kick compares to pills dope subs or methadone

how long before the wds star after your last use? i know its usually right at 48 hours for roxys and norcos. and its very rare that i come across and subs or bupe around here and every clinic that offers a sub program or and outpatient sub clinic is slammed and not taking any patients at this time. are all opiate withdrawals just about the same? just depends how much you were doing on the daily?

how long before the wds star after your last use? i know its usually right at 48 hours for roxys and norcos. and its very rare that i come across and subs or bupe around here and every clinic that offers a sub program or and outpatient sub clinic is slammed and not taking any patients at this time. are all opiate withdrawals just about the same? just depends how much you were doing on the daily?

How soon the withdrawal starts depends on how heavy a user you are. Some people get withdrawal as soon as 8-10 hours but for someone like yourself it's probably going to take at least 12 hours. I've seen people say it can take as long as 24 hours to start, but that seems like a long time. The fact that you were on roxys before and then on heroin for 3 weeks kind of muddies the waters. I would expect somewhere between 12-18 hours.

BTW, never say never about needles. If you keep using heroin, there's a good chance you'll do it because you're going to be spending A LOT more money by tooting it. Like the others said, get yourself some kratom. It will definitely help.

Most states have funding available to send you to a detox, and most times a rehab for no cost at all. If this is a viable option for you I highly recommend it. Most detoxes use subutex or methadone tapers and keep you almost completely comfortable through the entire process. The only issue I deal with while in treatment is a week or two of insomnia.

With me heroin withdrawl and oxy withdrawl started like 8-10 hours after I last used it. It would start out like I had a cold, soar throat, feverish and bad anxiety, then by the next day I was nauseous and throwing up along with all the things I mentioned before... all of that garbage. It was because I used both of them heavily, and I have a really fast metabolism so drugs go through me pretty fast for the most part, especially oxy and H which aren't long acting, oxy being a little shorter acting in the IR form of course.

And what Justferfun right above me said about needles is true. I was into doing both oxy and H sniffing, smoking, eating(only with oxy), plugging, etc. Just wouldn't pick up the needle. I would say the same shit to people who did that around me, I will never shoot anything, EVER! Well long story short, I did! Because of watching all the people I used to do H with get so much higher than I was getting from sniffing and smoking it. And once I did it myself, and figured out it was much easier and not as painful as I thought it would be, I became more and more obsessed with the high and rush that you can only truly get from IVing. I haven't touched H or any full agonist opioid for almost a year now. But I am on subs and slam them too. I don't know if or when I will ever decide to stop using drugs IV, but I do wish I had never given in to my curiousity and sky high tolerance to other methods of using H, which led me to make this mistake. I just wanted to say that anything is possible when doing drugs like heroin... tolerance and curiousity can and will catch up to you after a while and make you do things like injecting it, that you said you would never do. I know I am not the only one who said they would never shoot up anything and then became a daily IV drug user, it is surprising how quick shit can change like that.

Anyways, OP I hope you can find a way to get off of H, it isn't easy, but do it while your not in full blown addiction, which it sounds like you are almost there including the fact that you used oxy before H. It will be probably be easier to kick it. But if you cant stand doing it cold turkey, which I couldn't, by all means get on something like subs or use kratom to try and get yourself off opiates, at least the stronger ones like H. I honestly haven't ever tried kratom, but subs can either be good or bad... I know from experience. I have basically traded my addiction to opiates like oxy and H to an addiction to subs at this point. If you find a sub doc who will see you, try to do the taper rather than maintanence if you can, it will be easier to kick them too and you will be a lot less likely to get stuck on them. Good luck.

You may actually have better luck with a public program. For example, last year I was going to get into an outpatient suboxone program through my county. I never actually ended up doing it because I just went straight into rehab, but I was surprised to find out at the time that there was a program like that.

Start by googling the name of your county, state, and "substance abuse," "mental health," etc. I'm not sure if it's income dependent, but I think it's free for most people. It all depends on the state you live in and county. Let me know if you need any help. I have experience with this.

I have been an opiate user for about 4 1/2 years or so- it all started out with getting hit by a drunk driver and now having bulging discs in my cervical spine. i recently went from taking the norcos and roxys to doing a little H. cant afford the roxys anymore. ive only being doing the h for about 3 weeks ago or so and im not doing a ton of it. and i only toot it- i never have used a needle and i will never use a needle. how hard would it be for me to quit using after only doing it for about 3 weeks or so? will the withdrawals be bad? any other tips or recommendations for coming off it other than the typical home remedies? Please help.
Thank you for your time.

Well it's hard for us to tell you exactly how bad your wd symptoms will be.. Yes you've only been using h for 3 weeks, but you'll still have to detox from pills you took before that as well.. Most likely they will be faily unpleasant! One of the biggest issues you'll face, is the fact that you have bulging discs. Opioid use diminishes the level of natural opioids your body produces, so the pain that you have becomes more difficult to manage. I would suggest doing a slow taper off H or another opioid, reducing your dose anywhere from 10-25%/ week. Some of the above posters mentioned other options, kratom, suboxone, and loperamide.. I think out of those options, kratom would probably be the easiest one to eventually quit totally, and to subsequently detox from. If you go the suboxone route, I highly suggest you do a RAPID taper with it.. Low doses for no more than 2 weeks..

Also I would suggest finding some sort of support program in your area, Because after the initial acute wd, you have the depressing post acute wd stage. This stage can last months and be very demanding on your mental fortitude, so it's beneficial to have people that have your back, or people that you can just talk to. If you can't find anthing like that in real life, you can always go to the sober living or drak side forums.

The rehab I went to had a VERY conservative philosophy when it came to suboxone. They wanted me off in 4 days! I was able to push them to 6 days, but even then, I was only getting like 4 mg and 2 mg on the last two days. I thought that was pointlessly fast. It was pretty uncomfortable especially because I was going through klonopin withdrawal at the same time. That rehab has a great reputation but I don't think I'd go back.

But in the end, it was probably better for me to get off the subs as quickly as possible. My point is, for a situation like the OP's, I think he should be able to get away with a week's worth of suboxone and be just fine. I think once you get past 7-10 days, it could start to work against you. It all depends on the person and the situation though, obviously.

It all depends on the person and the situation though, obviously.
This is very true! What works great for one person, may not work at all for the next.. a 7-10 rapid detox is probably the best range to shoot for, depending how long one's been using it of course..

Yeah OP, if you've been using opioids for 4 1/2 years without actually completely withdrawing then you aren't going to be kicking a 3 week H habit you will be kicking a 4 1/2 year opioid habit, it doesn't really matter so much whether it's Heroin or Oxycodone.

But as others have said when it kicks in is dependent on continuous duration of use, dosage and drug. For me at the height and end of my oxycodone use I would be unwell between 12-14hrs gasping at 16 hrs and that's as far as I know cos it was straight to Suboxone for 6 months. I would love it if it took me 48hrs before WD kicked in cos it would mean my doses and addiction would be like someone who had used for maybe 3months max.

And I would love to kick a 3 week H habit than whatever monster is on my back these days. If you can still get a buzz from opiates then tapering now is the best time to do it, same with CT compared to those of us who feel sick in between doses.

So how long has your current run on opioids been, assuming you are a daily user as most of us chronic pain patients are and include your dosages if you don't mind - our guesstimates will be much more accurate and helpful. Lyrica is the main drug I would use for WD, but I have a list.

I've been using since late May this run. Off and on for 4 1/2 years. Mainly on. I kicked the habit of rox and norcos once before but only bc I went to a sub clinic but I didn't want to take the subs for a long time- I only took subs for a couple of weeks and didn't take it everyday. I would take it like once every other day or once every 3 days. It wasn't hard to get off the subs for me only bc the short time I was on them. I would give anything to be able to get back to the subs and it's hard as hell here to find any from anyone or they don't want to get rid of any, which I can't blame them. Everything is so expensive on the street here too. An 8 mg/2mg sub usually goes from 20-30$ here. I would pay it in a heartbeat if I could actually get a hold of some. This Kratom talk has me very intrigued though. It's kind of expensive as well- but if it can get someone through WDs it's worth it. Which type of Kratom would I need? I know there's different type like red vein and whatnot. I don't know enough to go to a headshop and pick it out, and you know how they are in a head shop- they won't talk about what you need or give you any advice on it. They only say " this is the most popular one." But I definitely need help on which strain or vein or whatever to pick out.

Order it online not at a headshop. KratomOne or pabotanicals is good. You would need red vein probably Maeng da, Bali, or UEI. Although UEI would destroy your tolerance for kratom and won't really help because it's more intense.

How soon the withdrawal starts depends on how heavy a user you are.

BTW, never say never about needles. If you keep using heroin, there's a good chance you'll do it because you're going to be spending A LOT more money by tooting it. Like the others said, get yourself some kratom. It will definitely help.

This is a good commercial for Kratom. I will be doing some back to school shopping soon.

Wats heroin like?i wanna try it

I heard there is this dragon, that only plays. The dragon runs and runs, but get this, you can't catch'em. At first it's pleasant, but eventually, it gets old and .... I heard Valium is much friendlier if you have a nice shrink.