• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Advice from strangers

cygnusx

Greenlighter
My first post so hello everybody. I came here for some advice and answers for a friend because no one in his life is aware of his situation. He's a mid-30's male. He works for a large bank, makes around 6 figures. He's married with 1 kid and 1 on the way. Usual boring suburban life. But he HATES his job! He can't quit (kids, mortgage, car payments). He's the sole provider so everything is on his shoulders. He started off by trying a 5mg norco from a family member who doesn't really use them so they sit around for months. Quickly moved to 10,15,20. It was just enough to get him through the day at work. Just to add a little fun to his life. Not wanting to destroy his liver, he switched to oxy. Over the next 5 months, his usage has increased to about 40-50 mg a day. He usually took 15mg @ 10:30 am and then 30-40 mg @ 3:30 pm. Something to get through the day at work and then little fun at night. This went on for about 5 months now. He's smart enough to know that he can't keep taking larger doses so he decided to quit. He went back to norco to taper down. About 20mg per day. Not so bad so far. He just wanted to find out what to expect next. After he stops completely, how bad will it get? He has read about paws. What are the chances he'll have to deal with that? But most importantly, how to keep him to going back for more. He has the access and money to get more anytime. Going to work now will not be the same. Thank you in advance.

*deleted*

to answer your question- expect some pretty bad depression that will last for a very long time, random hot/cold flashes, insomnia, and heavy cravings.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not rich nor is he trying to diminish the suffering of others. Fully realize that this may be a very low dose for some here but the impact of this addiction could potentially ruin lives of multiple people so just trying to get advice on how to best put an end to this before it gets really out of hand.

Talking about it with your wife might make it easier. Having a system of support is important.

ahh another one of these rich addicts who no nothing about the true pain and suffering of an addiction.

to answer your question- expect some pretty bad depression that will last for a very long time, random hot/cold flashes, insomnia, and heavy cravings.

Hey enough of that bullshit, seriously. I will not stand for any member on this site talking shit about another persons addiction no matter their station in life. You are no better than he is and you don't know what struggles he goes through on a daily basis. Same shit happened to me when I was in the military, somehow I was expected to just fucking deal with pain mentally even though when I got out and the VA had a look at my charts I came back with a hefty amount of disability. I am going to be a very damaged individual for the rest of my life. Soldiers are people too, just like bankers are people as well. Addiction is addiction and I will not have people going around and downplaying another addiction just because you think money makes everything better, like some how all his problems in life magically go away or are not as important as the rest of ours just because he works hard to support his family. I hate bullshit attitudes like this.

OP, my advice to you is if you want to do this covertly you are going to have to fucking commit, I am not talking about saying you will do it and having every intention but when push comes to shove you say one more time wont hurt. NO, it WILL hurt, and you will be slapping your family directly in the face every time you take the easy way out. Get yourself on a taper. You do not need to go so fast that you risk relapsing because of the pain of WD but not so long that it really just turns into a game of how long can I make this last. Then once you are off you will need to do your very best to attend some AA or NA meetings, they are anonymous and you will need some help, you can not do this completely by yourself.

If you are going to do this without the help of a psych or a rehab then you need to find some kind of sober support network that is there for you when you are feeling week, bluelight is a great secondary protocol but it will not help you when you are staring at some pills you found on the floor of your house that you lost months ago and are thinking it wont hurt. That is when you are going to need to call your sponsor to talk you down. Now since lies ruined my marriage I would suggest that once you are clean and you have started to go to some meeting you fill your wife in on what happened and what steps you took to nip it in the bud. That way she can support you too, as long as your wife truly loves you she should have no problem hearing you had a problem but did what needed to be done to fix it.

You know yourself and your family better than I do so tweak that information as it applies to you but don't try to do this alone and please don't try to hide it from your family for too long someone WILL find out. It is better to be honest and tell her than her find out about it because you got clumsy and left something sitting around. Also, as I am sure you already know, the more you lie the worse off you get.

Please for your own sake as well as your families get help and remember bluelight is here to help, PLEASE message me ANYTIME you need something I would be more than happy to do anything in my power to try to help you keep your marriage together. I was divorced because of drugs, and it was the most painful thing I have ever been through.

I'm actualy not talking any bullshit I'm just saying that an addict that has unlimited amount of money to spend on drugs, like he said "have access to money and can get more anytime"- does not know what its like to see yourself degrade down to the lowest of low, it gets worse and worse. like stelling jewelry from family members, pawning away everything you own, stealing from cars, robbing people, and then finally selling of the body.

A rich addict doesn't have to do these things to support their habit and thats what I mean by not understanding horrible pain. Yes of course the addiction itself is suffering, but the degredation of self is a whole other realm. So I'm not "downplaying" anything I'm just being realistic...

Addiction sucks no matter how much money a person has. I've been poor all my life, but that's ok ;)

If a person has plenty of money to spend on their DOC it has some pretty bad consequences. For example, dead rockstars. What killed them? The unlimited supply of dope on top of everything. I see what mrsnowey is saying though.

OP, you're gonna have the hardest time resisting temptation. Perhaps you should go to meetings and if that doesn't work, find your own support network. You'll always have people on here. Yes, we are strangers but we understand what you're going through so if you need anything you know what to do.

Welcome to bluelight :)

He's not rich nor is he trying to diminish the suffering of others. Fully realize that this may be a very low dose for some here but the impact of this addiction could potentially ruin lives of multiple people so just trying to get advice on how to best put an end to this before it gets really out of hand.
I completely understand your predicament

You could consider getting on suboxone for a quick one week rapid taper (google it) and you'll be normal and pain free very fast. Since your period of abuse isn't that long or large I'd say you got two options

tough it out for a week and you should be back to normal but you won't function very well I'd say take a week off (vacation).

or

you can do a rapid suboxone taper and be able to continue to function and provide for your family.

Just whatever you do don't make the mistake of staying on the suboxone too long or it'll be even harder to stop then the opiates your on now.

don't worry we don't swim or my friend here so you can be open and honest but I respect your right to privacy. Especially when you have so many people relying on you and so much to lose.

please post back and let us know how it all turned out

honestly a 50 mg a day oxy habit shouldnt be that bad of a withdrawal , esp if tapered down slowly. Finding out the root cause of the addiction, now that will take some time and overall long term sobriety will be the hardest part.

I'm actualy not talking any bullshit I'm just saying that an addict that has unlimited amount of money to spend on drugs, like he said "have access to money and can get more anytime"- does not know what its like to see yourself degrade down to the lowest of low, it gets worse and worse. like stelling jewelry from family members, pawning away everything you own, stealing from cars, robbing people, and then finally selling of the body.

A rich addict doesn't have to do these things to support their habit and thats what I mean by not understanding horrible pain. Yes of course the addiction itself is suffering, but the degredation of self is a whole other realm. So I'm not "downplaying" anything I'm just being realistic...

Does he need to experience all that for you to have respect for him or help him? Ill be very happy for him if he never has to deal with that. He wasnt being a smarta+s, he was just asking a simple question.

Last edited:
damn it I really hope you didn't scare this guy away. That is what these attitudes tend to do. Someone that is so afraid of their situation they are not even saying it is them they say it is a friend and you come on here and reply to his very first ever post by calling him a "rich addicts who no nothing about the true pain and suffering of an addiction." Now who knows if he will come back, meanwhile we could have done a lot of good in helping this guy. I sure hope he comes back. This is NOT how we treat new members who come to OD with a real problem only to be told they don't know what true suffering is. You have no idea what might have happened in this guys life. Any number of things could have made his life a very difficult place to live in and we could have helped him. There is going to be some change around here.

damn it I really hope you didn't scare this guy away. That is what these attitudes tend to do. Someone that is so afraid of their situation they are not even saying it is them they say it is a friend and you come on here and reply to his very first ever post by calling him a "rich addicts who no nothing about the true pain and suffering of an addiction." Now who knows if he will come back, meanwhile we could have done a lot of good in helping this guy. I sure hope he comes back. This is NOT how we treat new members who come to OD with a real problem only to be told they don't know what true suffering is. You have no idea what might have happened in this guys life. Any number of things could have made his life a very difficult place to live in and we could have helped him. There is going to be some change around here.

I don't have much to say except that I wish others were as compassionate as you are. That's a pipe dream though.

Let's hope OP at least reads this and knows we aren't a bunch of assholes. :(

I'm not "rich" and I afford my dope just fine. I've never stolen, robbed or cheated for my fix. If I run out then I run out, it would be my fault and I'd start a going through wd. I brought it on myself and I'm man enough to suffer. U shouldn't stereotype people because most of the time stereotypes aren't the reality.
Op please ignore this poster bro, some people are just ignorant.
There's nothing to it but to do it bro, if u wanna quit then take a week vacation from ur job and go cold turkey. Ur gonna feel like u got a really bad flu for about 5 days and then ur brand new. The first time kicking is the easiest ime. It's gonna suck dude but cold turkey is the quickest most effective way to get through it. Tell ur family that ur sick, they won't know the difference unless they've been through it. My first time kicking I didn't get paws, I'm hoping it'll be the same for u. I was on a similar dose of oxy too. Hopefully u won't have to kick a second time because it gets much much harder ime. I've never succeeded doing a taper, but everyone's different. For me the taper just prolonged what ur gonna have to go through eventually so might as well just cold turkey and get it over with. It'll suck but you'll be done with it and you'll realize how strong of a person u really are. I take great pride in being able to kick. I thought it wasn't that bad and I could do it again if I wanted to use, I WAS WRONG! The next time it was sooo much harder, nearly unbareable. I have lots of underlying medical issues so we are very different cases. But in my opinion I think your best bet is to cold turkey and get it done and get back to what sounds like an awesome life. Do it before the addiction steals it all away from u bro. It happens to a lot of people, not everyone, but I'd say a majority. Next step is heroin brother, I don't think u want that for yourself. Believe me bro those Oxys are gonna stop working so I hope u follow through and quit for good, u got way too much to lose! If I can help in anyway please don't hesitate to pm me or just ask here either way I wish u all the best brother. Good luck and god bless!

Well stated mad dash ! Much respect brother...

Thanks Peach and Cliffy I know yall always got my back :) hopefully mrsnowy learns their lesson and this does not happen again. I also hope we didn't scare OP off. Stuff like this reflects poorly on the whole board.

I've robbed my family stole from friends and strangers alike does that make me more worthy of being tagged an addict? You have no right to judge what someone elses pain is. That was one of the biggest dickheaded comments I've read on this site and I should know I've typed a few myself. Just because this person didn't get to the point where he ripped others off doesn't mean his pain isn't real and thank god he's looking at the situation now before it gets to that point!
Hey op I have a family and am much more responsible now so please take it from me you need to realize there will be some rough patches ahead no matter what course you take in regards to quiting but nothing compared to the pain you will inevitably feel if you don't stop. Once it becomes a chore getting high the partys over and it doesn't ever get back to the honeymoon phase. I'd look into doing a suboxone detox and that will greatly minimize your withdrawals. I would think because of the relatively short amount of time you've used the chances of success are much greater. If this doesn't cut it for you,you could always get on a suboxone maintenance program but I'd try to make the detox work as best as possible. Both are preferable to an illicit opiate addiction but IMHO it's much better not to have to depend on any drug permanently.
We aren't all dickheads on here a lot of us are just people trying to find our way and hopefully share experiences with others that might save them from some of the pain we've had to endure. Goodluck man,you can make it!

Thank you guys for your kind responses. I'm not easily scared off so I'm still here. I appreciate all of your suggestions. I've thought about it and decide to just go cold turkey. So my situation was that my connection had roughly 100 oxys left. He had a buyer for all of them but kept them for me since we've known each other for years. Today I told him to get rid of all of them. After asking me if I was sure a half dozen times, he said that they will be gone in 2 days. I've just effectively cut off my supply. He is no longer prescribed those pills hence has no way of replenishing his own supply. I have no other way of getting them either. So no matter how bad it gets, for better or for worse, I can't get them anymore. I have a very finite supply of 5 mg norco and will taper with those and next week just stop. I'll keep you guys informed of my progress. Just want to say thanks to you again. You guys are great!

Hey OP, I'm basically in the same sort of predicament except my habit is closer to 200-300mgs per day. My pain and major stress drove me to take ever increasing doses of oxycodone so that I could keep my job, my career, which I've worked at for 16years with this employer. I also have a 2 year old son who needs his father to get on the floor to play with him, pick him up for love or when he falls down hurt. My wife needs me functional, not that she pressures me she doesn't have to, she knows how important it is to me to be fully involved with my son despite crippling pain and now depression and anxiety and panic disorder. If I want to keep my cars my house on the hill and the future that I had planned with my wife then I have to keep going, and the only way I can do that is to eat opiates. I'm in a living hell. OP please stop now, it gets harder and harder, that 50mgs would keep me out of withdrawals for 12hrs. I wake up in withdrawal every morning and it's not even considered to be withdrawal by many stuck in opiate hell, it's just headaches, running nose, watering eyes, fast heart beat, the beginnings of restless arms/hands and legs, anxiety and suicidal thoughts.....i take a minimum dose of 100mgs of oxy and then wait 20mins for that to kick in before I can start moving about with more ease and then contemplate going to work and repeat this horrible cycle.

Please listen to the good advice that members are offering, many of them have been where you are and have made it through to the other side, many also haven't made it out and wish for folks like yourself to not make the same mistake that they have, the same mistake I've made. As locked in as you feel, I wish I was in your position with regards to the dose you're on, you CAN do this but please please please do it sooner rather than later. If it wasn't for the support of my wife and the I have for her and my son I would have killed myself. Don't end up like me or worse, if you keep doing what you're doing you will be where I am within the next 12months especially if money and supply aren't an issue. Good luck OP and do take care.

I really feel for you OP. I have been in your shoes the first time I quit. As a poster mentioned, each time you stop and start, you pretty much pick up where you left off in your addiction, and the withdrawals become much harder. This is called the kindling effect.

I am the same as mad dash on this. I would highly suggest going to meetings, even start when you are on the tail end of your detox. It saved my life. I still go to meetings once or twice a month or when I am feeling the itch, but I call my sponsor everyday. It keeps me sober, and it helps keep him sober. Just having a network of people that don't use might be what your life needs...you say boredom and complacency of life led you to spice it up with opiates correct? I have had the most fun I have ever had in my life going to BBQ's, camping, and bowling with some friends from AA. I also second getting your family involved. People say that there are seven degrees of separation between a secret and your loved ones...with opiate its really one degree of separation and eventually they will find out. If your kids are young, do not involve them, if they are older (16+) this could be a wonderful learning experience about the dangers of using opiates and what can happen. You are also going to need someone to help you through your first three days of withdrawal, those are the most debilitating.

I would take a minimum of five days off from work. I would also try to grab a few xanax or valium for sleeping (cos you won't be doing much of that while in withdrawal). valium is the preference though because it is longer acting.

here are a list of supplements and what they do for you.
l-theanine-helps fight the anxiety of quitting
l-tyrosine-helps clear up the brain fog quicker (you will know what I mean when you quit)
magnesium/potassium-helps with RLS (restless leg syndrome)
turmeric-helps detoxify your body quicker
milk thistle- if you haven't been cold water extracting your pills you have been ingesting quite a bit of tylenol. This will help get your liver functioning at a more homeostatic place.

Exercise. This will help immensely once you can.

Good luck my friend, you have my utmost respect for stopping this affliction and I hope you keep this thread active so we can