View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Advice for using Datura and similar plants

just say know

Bluelighter
I've never used Datura; but what is some good advice for someone interested in using Datura or similar plants?

personally i'm interested in Datura but have no experience with it and i have limited knowlege of the experience, dosage, or uses. currently i'm researching Datura Experiences.

personally my friend is interested in it because he says it's like "super benedryl"; which he's big into deleriants like benedryl. we're considering taking a datura trip together one day. what advice would you give to a person considering using this plant? what kind of set or setting is ideal? Are there any ways to reduce negative side effects like dry mouth and such? and what are some good stuff to mix with it; will weed potentiate?

from a previous thread on this

sekio said:
The problem with belladonna and datura is that depending on many variables (soil quality, nitrogen content, sunlight exposure, temperature, physical stress, age of plant, particular strain/genetics, presence of pathogens, differing soil bacteria, etc) the alkaloid content can vary widely.

If you want an anticholinergic to potentiate psychedelics, see about getting scopolamine, hyoscamine, atropine or some other pure isolated refined alkaloid in a measured dosage form. Or use diphenhydramine if you can't get any of the others. Using plant material (seeds, leaves, juices) without having a method to quantitate the alkaloid content (GCMS or LCMS) or even a milligram balance and a lab set to extract and purify the alkaloids and see how much you got, is reckless and you have to do careful dose titration and "lot control". Every time you gather new seeds or whatever they need to be titrated again. Gathering from multiple plants is a no-no too.

The best option is to not take any of these. It's just too risky and most phenethylamines don't need atropine alkaloids to potentiate them.

If you really are committed to this: find one datura plant. Get one seed pod from it and keep all the seeds in a vial or something. Record where and when you got the sample from. Be detailed! If the forensic toxicologists/doctors treating you for an OD/toxicity need a sample of the plant you want them to find the right one.

Crush a counted number of the seeds (not all of them), mix/stir them together in a measured amount of coconut oil, molten beeswax, petroleum jelly or olive oil - about 1-2ml or 1-2 gram per seed. Don't use water. Use oil for effective extraction. You can also use grain alcohol if you must. The idea is you want to distribute all the alkaloids evenly and make a "standard" solution. Measure by weight with a good scale! If you don't have a good 0.01g scale and calibration weights stop and get one! Figure out how much oil you used and how many seeds you used and if the mixture is homogenous you can then measure little doses of your datura-oil and eat it in gel caps. Never take more than one seed equivalent until you get comfortable with your dosage.

Throw it out after 2 months. It has a limited shelf life. You have to repeat this process every time you make a new batch, titration and all, or you will end up overdosing eventually.

Be careful. You can do this safely but it takes a lot of work. Pretend you're an apothecary...

As for set and setting, you'll want a weekend or possibly 3-4 days where you don't have to do anything and have a sober sitter. Datura trips can be very long lasting as atropine has a loooong half life.
Side effects are dose related. I don't think there is much you can do to avoid them, it's the nature of the drug to seriously mess with your body.
Mixing drugs with datura... you'll probably be too far gone to want to mix anything at higher doses. Maybe at lower ones a little marijuana would be good, but otherwise I don't know.

Datura is not a plant to be taken lightly/recreationally.

thank you for your feedback; i know all too well that Datura shouldn't be taken lightly. i am considering using it but am not sure. i might however use Fly Agarics instead.

Last edited:
yeah; i'm definitely going to go about it safely with accurate dosing; gonna have to do an extraction of the active alkaloids and weigh them out. it's pretty much the only way anyone should go about dosing Datura; i do know that at least :)

but i'm also considering not using datura; ever. i have mixed feelings.

sekio doesn't take into account that one could probably easily do an extraction procedure found in some old literature. And getting isolated scopolamine at least is easy as it's not illegal, so you know,m you don't have to worry about getting arrested. I speak from experience.

did you hear that Scolopamine has been approved by the FDA for treating Tobacco addiction? i read it on erowid.

but yeah; i think with this type of drug the major thing you have to worry about is responsability and safety.

^^^ hahaha, this.

From what I've read, the best advice is to reconsider doing it. If you chose to do it, be sure you've got a good reason to go ahead...and be sure to have a sitter, and all necessary precautions for when you pretty well go bonkers :p

I would not touch that shit (ESPECIALLY pure scopolamine) with a ten foot pole. Check out this Vice documentary on the scop. Gets fucking crazy at the end:

I've seen that documentary before and I've always been FASCINATED by daturas.

I mean what could be more interesting than something so dangerous and so shrouded in mystery??

From Belladonna to Mandrake Root to Jimson Weed to Henbane to this Buranduga stuff or however you spell it they are all related Datura plants that have been used since the dawn off time.

Belladonna, Henbane and Mandrake Root in particular were used in witches' brews and as flying ointment and no wonder!!

Now they are supposedly "witches brews" for these drug pushers who want to take advantage of people.

But I have to admit I am skeptical of some of the claims that article makes, like the powder being SO powerful that if someone simply SMELLS it or a little gets blown in their face they are automatically tripping and under someone's control.

Does anyone here think that's maybe just a wive's tale??

I mean the stories of some people on this forum when they take Datura certainly sound like they go temporarily crazy but the only places I've heard stories saying that you can be completely controlled and forced to give up info like your credit card number or that smelling the smallest amount can make you trip come from that documentary there. (Also, I'm guessing that some of these stories may have influenced The Serpent and the Rainbow movie where blowing some powder in someone's eyes can make them a zombie since I never heard that that was true of Tetrodotoxin).

Can anybody confirm whether or not they have real life experiences confirming that any of this is actually true??

personally i am just interested in datura and other plant species for visually impressive hallucinations and an other worldly experience. its not something i would take lightly or do often however.

personally i am just interested in datura and other plant species for visually impressive hallucinations and an other worldly experience. its not something i would take lightly or do often however.

This is an interesting summary:

I've done datura 4 times. And will not do it again, for a long long while - if ever.

It is the ONLY substance i've had a bad trip on.

It was freezing cold, at night, on a deserted beach.
I remember feeling I was in the desert in the blazing heat of the sun. It was light all around me. I was stumbling around in my underwear. I couldn't see my friends - I had no idea I has even been with anyone at all. My memory was swiped, and I was an entirely new person. I headed towards the water because to me, it was like an oasis. One of my sober friends ran after me, and grabbed me to keep me from wading into the rough west coast sea. I thought he was a vulture, his claws digging into me - and I felt like my torso and legs were gushing with blood. I was stricken with fear. Absolutely stricken.

On a brighter note, I also had a glorious trip - where I was looking at the world. There was complete darkness around me, and I could see the entire globe, spinning before me - as if I was viewing it from space. I saw giant rainbows, and doves, circling the world. Gorgeous technicolour patterns flowed from certain points of the darkness. I can't explain how incredible it was... It felt like another dimension.

Datura is not a drug. It transports you to an entirely different place. It is far above me, and far bigger than me. Datura demands respect. She's a beautiful, but unforgiving entity - and she will fuck you up if you fuck with her.

20-05-2009 cosmicfrequency The Big & Dandy Datura Thread

Also, if the drug is THAT dangerous, that just a SMALL WHIFF of a little powder and you are someone's complete slave for 24 hours, then that would make this stuff WAY more dangerous than a gun or most weapons.

I mean the uses could be ENDLESS.

You could convince someone to kill anyone you want and then kill themselves, it uses in warfare would be incomparable.

So if it can really do all these things why is it so little known and understood?

Usually something with those kinds of capabilities has a more widespread usage and is known about outside of underground Colombia.

Vice hyped it up. Scopolamine is also an OTC nausea medication in Britain and Australia; and the commonly found diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is related to it.

Following the description of the structure and activity of scopolamine by Ladenburg, the search for synthetic analogues of and methods for total synthesis of scopolamine and/or atropine in the 1930s and 1940s resulted in the discovery of diphenhydramine, an early antihistamine and the prototype of its chemical subclass of these drugs, and pethidine, the first fully synthetic opioid analgesic, known as Dolatin and Demerol amongst many other trade names.

Pharmacology for Anesthetists 5. John D. Current, M.D. p. 195

This happend to my mother on a cruise that we had all decided to take for a family trip. We had all gotten some scopolamine patches from the pharmacist, which is suppost to help with motion sickness. She was waring one on her neck and aparently after a day or so thought it came off in the shower, when it had infact fallin on her back. She put on another patch on her neck unaware of the other patch. She began complaning about being very clostrophobic(My mom's clostrophobic anyway so I dont know if that would affect anyone else, but she was REALLY noticing it) and her eyes had become dilated somewhat. Within several hours she began halicunating and was walking around our cruse ship in a dreamy state having mild haliculitations. She almost walked right off the boat! After removing the patches she returned to normal within the next day or so. It was very strange and at the time we thought nothing about it, untill i came across scopolamine on this site. I also recall myself having touched one of the patches and then rubbing my eye, which caused it to be dilated for several days. No other side affects though. I hope this helps you.

Dreamy Confusion: experience with Scopolamine (patch) (ID 36749). Erowid.org. Sep 15, 2004. https://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=36749

I know it sounds interesting but from what I've heard I don't think you can ingest the stuff AT ALL without "taking it lightly".

I've never heard of a good experience, just completely flipping out for hours on end.

Hell, most the accounts I've read and the ones described in that video say that most of the time people don't even remember much of what happened so how can the hallucinations be enjoyable if you dont even recognize they are happening when they are occuring and have no recollection of them later on???

It doesn't sound like Acid, Shrooms, Mesc, DMT, etc where you can have these hallucinations and have that "whoa this shit is cool!!" feeling that everyone wants out of tripping.

More like you'll see weird shit and then wake up the next day not remembering any of it so there'd be no "whoa" feeling at all.

Not sure why you'd want to do it at all.

Vice hyped it up. Scopolamine is also an OTC nausea medication in Britain and Australia; and the commonly found diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is related to it.

Following the description of the structure and activity of scopolamine by Ladenburg, the search for synthetic analogues of and methods for total synthesis of scopolamine and/or atropine in the 1930s and 1940s resulted in the discovery of diphenhydramine, an early antihistamine and the prototype of its chemical subclass of these drugs, and pethidine, the first fully synthetic opioid analgesic, known as Dolatin and Demerol amongst many other trade names.

Pharmacology for Anesthetists 5. John D. Current, M.D. p. 195

This happend to my mother on a cruise that we had all decided to take for a family trip. We had all gotten some scopolamine patches from the pharmacist, which is suppost to help with motion sickness. She was waring one on her neck and aparently after a day or so thought it came off in the shower, when it had infact fallin on her back. She put on another patch on her neck unaware of the other patch. She began complaning about being very clostrophobic(My mom's clostrophobic anyway so I dont know if that would affect anyone else, but she was REALLY noticing it) and her eyes had become dilated somewhat. Within several hours she began halicunating and was walking around our cruse ship in a dreamy state having mild haliculitations. She almost walked right off the boat! After removing the patches she returned to normal within the next day or so. It was very strange and at the time we thought nothing about it, untill i came across scopolamine on this site. I also recall myself having touched one of the patches and then rubbing my eye, which caused it to be dilated for several days. No other side affects though. I hope this helps you.

Dreamy Confusion: experience with Scopolamine (patch) (ID 36749). Erowid.org. Sep 15, 2004. https://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=36749

However, even if in some ways it's related to Benadryl I've never heard of Diphenyhydramine trip REMOTELY like a lot of these scopalamine trips I read about.

Chemically related doesn't necessarily mean they produce similar drug experiences.

I posted one in post #14.

i can see these people appear and have conversations sometimes with me too, sometimes this girls face appeared close to my face, she was hot
i kept making out with her but then she would vanish and come back later and make out, felt so real.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/620196-(Scopolamine-aka-Hyoscine-Hydrobromide-1.5mg)

Interesting.

I didn't realize you'd taken it before.

Ok, so I guess it CAN produce good experiences.

But is it a good drug to use in your opinion if someone wants a pleasant trip?

Doesn't sound like it to me.