Advice for mixing in a "super" club?

HydrA

Bluelighter
Alright, I've mixed enough small gigs...this weekend im playing here:

http://www.clubspace.com/

which if you check the pics on the page (ignore all the pop-ups)...its a friggin huge venue, with loads of sound, etc etc...

now, the biggest venue ive played until this point has been pretty tiny in comparision, and this is the biggest gig/most exposure im going to have up until this point in my dj career...so I'm asking you pro's here for some advice on mixing on a larger system, anything you've learned, please pass on! :)

what i plan on doing so far is:

1) getting there early to check out and get a feel for the dj booth/setup

2) NOT touching the house levels, until maybe the end of my set (i figure they have these set somewhere for a reason, and if you go too high its going to automatically cut the sound down so nothing blows)

3) check every mix...and then recheck it before putting it in...

4) have a set programmed, but only to use as an outline...have the record case organized by genre...

any advice from u guys? I already have 2 new stylus and just went record shopping so I should be nice and up to date :)

im planning to start kinda funky...then go a bit darker and harder...then keep going harder and slowly move it from dark to euphoric but maintain the energy all the way till the end...i dont plan on playing any cheese, gonna keep it all on the other end of the spectrum, even my euphoric tracks are going to be deep

the crowd doesn't scare me, i just hope the monitors will overpower any reverb coming off the walls...any advice from any of ya who have mixed on a giant system, im listening!

~adam (hydra)

Edit: I go on at 2am! :)

Last edited:
Not being a DJ myself, I don't know if I can offer you much advice on this, but the 4 things you have listed already seem pretty sound to me. Just do all that, visually accustom yourself to the venue, get used to the sound before hand (if it needs getting used to), you know, make sure the monitoring is to your liking - this may be a stupid question coming from a non-DJ, but can you seperately eq your monitors? If you can...well, do it if you need to. I don't know, you seem to have it pretty well covered anyway, anyone wants to give some advice based on actual DJing experience in such a venue to this man, by all means do. Good luck!

just hope for good monitors. the only difference between what you've already played and this is that like you said there will be lots of echo off the walls.

Crowd interaction!

Look at the people, clap your hands with the beat, raise your hands as to get the people to raise theirs, show some emotion! I think that's the biggest gripe I have with DJ's is lack of crowd interaction.

And play at least one really old school anthem... it'll make you sound like a hero...

thanks sinthetic, u know u just put it all into perspective for me!!

Good Luck Hydra, I hope you blow the roof off that place! Record your set if that's possible.

As for:

the crowd doesn't scare me, i just hope the monitors will overpower any reverb coming off the walls...any advice from any of ya who have mixed on a giant system, im listening!

Most BIG clubs like Club Space have exceptional quality in thew sound department....it's clubs like these that make a DJ's life so much more relaxing. I read in an article that one of DJ Tiesto's favorite clubs to play in is Club Space because the monitors and sound are so great. I could be wrong with my recollection but I am 95% sure about this.

Club Space should be a breeze for you... have fun and rock the house.

Last edited:
Let see.. some notes.

#1. Make small adjustments on the house level. For example, bring up the bass as more people get onto the floor. Drop the bass out if the room is empty. Pay close attention to those on the dance floor.. make sure your high end isn't up to much and there ear's are bleeding.

Throw the setlist out the window. Get out to the club early and get a feel for it. See what the other DJ's are playing, see what's getting a reaction that night. You'll need to tailer your set to fit into it. You might want to try playing a few good songs you know are killer.. mix it up with some new stuff that hasn't been played that night. Oh, and don't play hit after hit after hit. The other DJ's will kill you for it.

Jay

oh yea.. and be sure to tell the light guy what songs your going to spin next.

Jay

Hydra, I'm mad jealous!!! Club Space is considered one of the premiere clubs in all the world, whether it be Miami or Ibiza. And I'm sure you won't have to worry about the sound. Clubs like that have things locked down. Even the club I play in, which holds 800 or so has very good sound and our sound guy is hardly around, so I'm sure you're in good hands. Good luck!!!

i'm impressed. i was at space for the wmc everyone sounded great there. i'm the furthest thing from a dj but maybe go there the night before and grill some who just spun for pointers?

And play at least one really old school anthem... it'll make you sound like a hero...

No...actually it will make you sound like a tool.

~C

Hydra, I've played on the Phazon system, and I spin weekly at my club night...

I can tell you for a fact that the only change you need to make is from one record to the next.

If you spin half as good as we all have heard, you are going to bring those fucking people to their knees!

You still have your spot at my weekly if you want it. And fucking congrats man!!!

If you want I can get you a spot on Aug 28th when Paul Van Dyk spins... you can open for him :D

Just rock out like you do in every set... don't fuck with the sound.

And my last piece of advice is to act like Carl fucking Cox when behind the decks... let the beats build and drum rolls roll until the crowd thinks they're about to drop, then let them roll just a little bit longer...

BAM!

You'll fucking devestate those club kid fucks!

Show em why exactly it is that you're playing the best club in the world... cuz you're the best DJ they'll ever fucking hear, that's why!

take the advice of playing a dash of oldschool.

open with Orbital's "Satan" and end with Leftfield's "Open Up".

watch the real heads jump.

Shit, if we're talking Oldskewl...

Play some of Chokenfold's Hip-Hop tracks...

or some old old Techno...

but I guess you're in Florida, so anything that's 4/4 will illcit boo's :)

1) Relax
2)contant level checks(adjust bass, treble, ect.)
3)play sets you know everyone will dance too

You'll be fine...Let us know how it was.Peace>