• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Adderall Shortage - is this happening anywhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't people get Dexedrine, Dextrostat, or Vyvanse in the mean time

This is a good article about Big Pharm pretty much forcing people to switch.

Something very similar to this happened in 1993 with Ritalin.

I just tried to get my precription (60 10mg adderall IR) filled, and was the pharmacy was out. The pharmacist told me that he works at pharmacies all over the island, and they are out as well. I then asked about the XR, and when he checked he said he could hear a few pills rattling at the bottom of the bottle, so only had a few of those. He had no explanation for it, and was sympathetic. Personally I don't mind much since I don't care for them, but I did have a few things that I really need to get done, and was hoping to have adderall to help me complete them.

I just tried to get my precription (60 10mg adderall IR) filled, and was the pharmacy was out. The pharmacist told me that he works at pharmacies all over the island, and they are out as well. I then asked about the XR, and when he checked he said he could hear a few pills rattling at the bottom of the bottle, so only had a few of those. He had no explanation for it, and was sympathetic. Personally I don't mind much since I don't care for them, but I did have a few things that I really need to get done, and was hoping to have adderall to help me complete them.

That is strange mayne. I have never gone to a pharmacy to fill an adderall script, and they happened to be out. And adderall XR blows btw.

Can't get a legal script for d-amp filled?

My normal insurance mail order prescription company called and told me they couldn't fill it until mid-January? So I got a one month script, went to six local pharmacies, none can fill. Some kind of end of year shortage on the east coast WTF? Any ideas how to get it filled?

Related reading.

I'm pretty sure that you are out of luck. I think that the Adderall shortage led to people being switched to d-amp, thus creating a shortage of that as well. It took me a while to get mine filled, I think the 5th place or so had it.

the pharmacies around my university are out of it (UNH), the ones a bit more south (toward Boston, MA) have it stocked I hear. Not the first I've heard about this on the North Eastern Coast.

have the pharmacy order it for u. go to one near a hospital. i have luck at grocery stop pharmacies too like ShopRite

^ I know that they can't order the adderall right now, but I'm not sure about the d-amp. The pharmacists that I have spoken to have said that they are not being given much information, and are only being told that the drug will be delivered when they are made available. They can't order it because the pharmaceutical companies can't fill the order.

Dexedrine shortage due to USA govt regulators

The problem in the USA is two fold, regarding a shortage of C-II Adderall and Dexedrine.
1. Smith Kline & French, who had the patent on 5 mg Dexedrine Sulfate Instant Release,
(the orange hearts, embossed E-19, SKF) from 1937 for a record, for 62 yrs, withdrew the
Dexedrine Instant Release 5 mg, tabs, during 2009, with a short notice. Smith Kline & French
became, Smith Kline Beecham, in the 1980's, and around 2003 to 2005 area, Glaxo of UK bought
out SKB, the Phil, PA USA Hdqtrs, moved to Research Triangle Park, NC,and GSK licensed out
Abbott Labs of North Chicago, to mfg the last of the famous 5mg I/R Dexedrine. ShireUS, who
made the competive, "DextroStrat" in 5 & 10 mg tabs, sold out to Barr Labs around 2006, give or
take a year, and Barr Labs, got bought out by Teva of Israel, thus, "Dextrostrat" was removed from
the market, around 2008/2009. The generic USA firm Ethex who made generic 5 and 10 mg dextro-
amphetamine, were closed down by the USA DEA around 2010. Glaxo Smith Kline, has also, licensed
out Catalent Solutions Pharma, in New Mexico and Kentucky, to make the 10 & 15 mg sustained release
Patented Spanules, mfg since, 1952, as they appear to want out of the world market. GSK still makes
5 mg Dexedrine Sulfate, and Dexedrine 10 and 15 mg Spansules in Canada via licensed out to a small
pharm firm, and critical shortages, were prevalent in Canada in 2009, and 2010, now rectified, but not in the
USA.
2. Harsh USA quotas, imposed by the USA DEA is responsible for the current Adderall shortage until, the new
calender year, beginning Jan 2012. Glaxco Smith Kline with world hdqtrs, even farms put production of
their Dexedrine for UK citizens, now for yrs, from a small relatively unknown mfg in Ireland.

Last edited:
Dexedrine is extremely hard to find right now in NYC. I had to trudge in the rain to 10-15 different pharmacies until I finally found 1 that had it in stock. There truly is a shortage going on. All pharmacies had the same response, "Its backordered, and we have no idea when it will be arriving." It's a pretty unprecedented situation, to be honest. When have you ever heard of a prescription medication that millions of people rely on be out of stock everywhere? And were talking about months at this point. The only reason its not garnering more attention is because its amphetamine. Lawsuits could be on the way...

Yeah it's been hard to get adderall in chicago but it's not really that bad. I hardly use mine I have two months worth on deck.

Hi PinezPeakZ,
I have been taking amphetamines or methyphenidate non-stop since June of 1994. I got my first Adderall prescription, in
November of 1997, of exactly 100 ten mg branded Adderall mfg, (then) by Richwood Pharmaceuticl Co Inc, as I was keenly aware that Richwood bought out the licensing ability to use the Rexal Pharma division of Obetrol Pharma, of, Brooklyn, NY,
who made the the 4 amphetamine, same formula, in their 10 and 20 mg tabs, for at least 20 prior years, until in 1993, Richwood wisely, copyrighted the tradename "ADDeral" and it was first displayed in the 1994 PDR. I intent to stay on topic.
I had a shock, when I took my 90 count Amphetamine Salts, script for 12.5 mg x 3 per day, that I have been on for the
past 36 months, and, was told, "of the 7 different dose mg versions of I/R Adderall, my pharmacist, and 100% owner of his
pharmacy, whom I have been a 10 yr customer of, "all I have left is 10 mg Teva generics & the city I live in the Southeastern
USA, has a population exceeding 500,000 people, and, was told, "you need to move quickly, because the central metro warehouse, is extremely low of all generic Adderall, and they only have 2 of the 7 versions, 10 mg and 20 mg, are critically short in supply, and suggested to me, to go back to my Psychiatrist, and get him to re-wrie my script, for
"Mixed amphetamine salts, 10 mg, in either 90 count or 120 count, as he felt the Barr Labs, as everyone knows, is 100% owned and controlled by Teva of Israel, and, I was told "move with lightning speed this very week, as, he only had enough I/R 10 mg Adderall to last thru the end of this week or early next week, and he expected the central wholesale warehouse to be sold out before Christmas.
I was also informed it will not clear up "like magic" after the first week of January, that, the problem had been growing like a wildfire, for "a number of months" (this happened yesterday). Before Barr Labs, or ShireUS, who once made the tabs, the only time I had a issue with Adderall was around the year 2000 or 2001, when a serious fire, damaged the Richwood Pharma plant,and there was a shortage of both Adderall and, DextroStat, that, Richwood Pharma, were the exclusive patented producers of those drugs,, but was rectified, within 4 to 6 months. I am also quite aware that since Teva Pharma., bought
out 100% of US owned Barr Labs, Pliva, and Duramed, that, there have been some lawsuits and "ethical issues between Barr Labs, Teva of Israel, and ShireUS". I had very depressed, that my most favorite Psychiarist, of all my life, closed his practice, and moved out of state, why? IMHO, the best combination for my ADD, was a three year run with Smith Kline Beecham, (now
GSK) of brand Dexedrine 15 mg Spansule, with a booster, branded "Dexedrine 5 mg I/R" embossed SKF E-19, to take one or two at 4 PM, and one more "Dexedrine 5 mg" no later than 8PM as I was working a 40 hr a week job, and was attending a local University, to complete my Psychology Degree". thus, a daily total of one 15 mg sustained release, and, three 5 mg Dexedine tab I/R worked the best for me. My M.D, since January of 2000, continued the Dexedrine 15 mg at 7AM and a 2nd one at 1PM
and a prescription for 10 mg Adderall at 4PM and 8PM PRN (if needed), for 9 years in a row, I switched to 12.5mg, rare size of brand, or generic mixed salt amphetamine, 2 yrs ago, and now, due to underdosing, have 3 scripts for 90 count generic adderall, (that is 270 pills) and, the shortage is severe in my city, and the 6 month DEA mandated expiration of each script, I feel the time clock now ticking away, working against me!! The scripts are worthless on the 181st day in all 50 states, and my state is one of now 40 states on the Prescription Monitoring Program, and ,thus, I can't even shop around, with the same M.D's scripts, and get one filled for cash, and another filled by my insurance company..............why?
This worked very well for me, until, my state went active with the PMP program, and, a second independant pharmacist,
who I always paid cash for, to avoid a paper trail with my insurance firm, told me, he could no longer fill my scripts, he actually told me, quote, "you filled a script from xxx pharmacy 6 days ago, from the same M.D. and I cannot ethically fill another fresh script, nor, refill your 1 refill left on your 5 month old original script filled by me, because, again, my computer shows 6 days ago, you had a newer script filled for the C-IV Clonzepam., 30 count 1 mg, along with the 90 count mixed amphetamne salts (referring to Teva, who still uses the Barr Labs facility) so I left, and chose to never return to this back up pharmacy. My
Psychiatrist, who, I have seen exclusively, for the 11th year beginning next month, never mentioned any problem to me, thus, if the pharmacy police in my city did call him, it has not damaged my relationship at all with my shrink.
I have taken different amphetamines, before, I was diagnoised with ADD, GAD, and Impulse Control Disorder, as far back as the 70's, and, the golden days of over sixty,yes 60 choices of amphetamines, are long gone, like Abbott Labs Desoxyn combo tabs with 97 mg of Abbott Nembutal marketed once as "Desbutal" removed from the USA market by our big brother,
the DEA.

I get Adderall IR now and have had no problem getting it from both chain pharmacies, and 'mom and pop' pharmacies. I thought I was going to have problems this month due to finals, but no issues. I have gotten it filled at the first places I have gone to lately. Before that I was on dexedrine and there were only two pharmacies that always had it for me. It wasn't so much of a shortage of it as it was just that most pharmacies by me don't carry it. Like one of the pharmacists at a small 'mom and pop' place said he hasn't had it in stock for as long back as he can remember. It mustn't be commonly prescribed by me, or anywhere in NY for that matter. Other than the few places that had it, the pharmacists at the other pharmacies acted like they never heard of it.

Counterfiet Medication From Michigan Pharmacies

As we all know the shortage on adderall is epic. I have not had a problem in obtaining my monthly script, but now that i am looking back at the 6 months i should have reliezed something was wrong with the picture when 5 different pharmacies all were selling the same brand n milligram of generic adderall. Also i would use these generic adderall at 120-200 mg amounts n not have the desired affects or anywhere near it. At the time i thought it was due to tolerence from being on adderall for 13 years so i figured i had tolerence or my brain is fried the fuck out and can not produce the same effects as before. WOW i was wrong. I went to a new pharmacy and got a completely different brand and took 80mg and i was FLYING HIGH!!!!! chewing gum, writing you know all the things that come with amp highs. SO heres what you all been waiting for, Wayne County more specific down river area TEVA brand 20 mg generic adderall are definitly counterfiet. The difference is 10 fold. These Tevas can be found at mom n pop pharmacies all over downriver which mathmatically cant happen due to the CAP n SHORTAGE! also the other brand that i got u can taste the amphetamines on the pills bitter tasting like amps taste not like a piece of candy like tevas.

What is your question exactly? And please, a paragraph or two could have been helpful for the comprehension of your post ;)

Last edited:
There was a shortage of Adderall in some parts of the U.S. for a time yes, but that seems to have been resolved.

I highly doubt your pharmacy is supplying counterfeit medication. Taste alone is not a legit way to know if the medication has amphetamines in it or not....and, going by the rambling nature of your post, there are indeed amphetamines in your pills.

Either way, this isn't appropriate for Basic Drug Discussion, I'm going to move it to the appropriate regional forum (it will probably get merged with the megathread on this topic).

BDD - North American Social/Drug Discussion

The shortage is still in full affect out here and i said the medication that i believe is counterfiet has no affect at all. You can take 200mg and not feel a thing. I go and get a different brand yesterday and 80mg and im flying. Ive been on this shit for 13 years dude i know what im talking about.

i just wanna reply to that i was not at all saying i tasted them and based my whole entire theory on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.