• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Adderall Brain Damage

LawyerLife

Bluelighter
Over the course of the past 2.5 yrs, I would binge on Adderall every 6 or so weeks. Would take 180-300 mg over a course of 12 hours … About 2 months ago, I became really depressed…

I have been on Wellbutrin 150 XL since Jan 19, and it worked until about 2 months ago …

life Has been super stressful, and there are many stressor I have …

Question: What is the chance that I fucked my brain up?

that is indeed a VERY large dose of adderall

you only do this binge once every 6 weeks? Do you take adderall in between that?

Your brain is probably not permanently fucked up and has amazing healing powers, but yeah huge doses of stims can certainly cause acute severe depression.

I would definitely stop the adderall, or at the very least keep your doses reasonable... like no more than 40-50mg in 24hrs

Yeah that's some crazy dosage, what's the ld50 for pharma amphetamine? Like 1.2g? 300mg in that short a time will definitely do some damage, although I'm not sure once every 6 weeks is going to cause latent effects weeks later. Are you sure you're not just feeling the effects of the stress?

Yeah that's some crazy dosage, what's the ld50 for pharma amphetamine? Like 1.2g? 300mg in that short a time will definitely do some damage, although I'm not sure once every 6 weeks is going to cause latent effects weeks later. Are you sure you're not just feeling the effects of the stress?

Lethal dose would definitely be over a gram, more for a tolerant person perhaps.

300mg/6 weeks will give you a pretty hearty monoamine drain, and eventually i suppose over time the transporters will start decreasing in density in attempt to reach some homeostatic balance.

Still once every 6 weeks for 2.5 years would only be like 20 times total.

My guess is that the issues you're having now stem from whatever preexisting issues that had drawn you to take giant doses of adderall in the first place.

Thank you all for the replies ….

Only did the binges every 6 or so weeks … Did ZERO in between. Smoked cigarettes here and there, chewed nicotine gum also … smoked some weed lightly, Sativa …

I have not touched absolutely anything since about August 1, and quit cigs on Aug 11 …

I still drink alcohol lightly.

hope this is more information for you.

Thanks all!

I think it’s the stress, but ….

I do this roughly monthly.. usually more like 250mg but I've done 420mg in 12 hours...

Maybe it is doing some brain damage. Perhaps the rest of my month sucks due to this binge..

I do this roughly monthly.. usually more like 250mg but I've done 420mg in 12 hours...

Maybe it is doing some brain damage. Perhaps the rest of my month sucks due to this binge..
How long have you been doing this?

it would take me about 4-5 days to reset after the binges …

How long have you been doing this?

it would take me about 4-5 days to reset after the binges …
No longer than a year, though I've been abusing stimulants all my life. I never needed this high of a dose of damp until trying meth (which I haven't done in over a year). Months can go by and tolerance doesn't seem to reset.

I have abused stimulants on and off my whole life (I am now 50). At the end of a big binge (e.g MDMA pills or IV coke or IV meth daily for 6 months) I always come through the emotional comedown and recovery feeling like I’m brain damaged. But even after that level of abuse, after a month or two clean I’ve always basically recovered except for a bit of problem with long term-memory (like my address when I was a kid)recall and having to study a lot more conscientiously to make up for a less sticky working memory (like being able to recall and repeat the argument in a book chapter or article I just read). My actual IQ has never suffered and my academic results have actually improved over time despite the memory issues.

I expect you’ll be fine with time. It always feels worse than it really is. You can also work around some stim induced cognitive deficits (if you actually even have any) by using the non-drug psycho-social learning techniques used by kids with ADHD .

I have abused stimulants on and off my whole life (I am now 50). At the end of a big binge (e.g MDMA pills or IV coke or IV meth daily for 6 months) I always come through the emotional comedown and recovery feeling like I’m brain damaged. But even after that level of abuse, after a month or two clean I’ve always basically recovered except for a bit of problem with long term-memory (like my address when I was a kid)recall and having to study a lot more conscientiously to make up for a less sticky working memory (like being able to recall and repeat the argument in a book chapter or article I just read). My actual IQ has never suffered and my academic results have actually improved over time despite the memory issues.

I expect you’ll be fine with time. It always feels worse than it really is. You can also work around some stim induced cognitive deficits (if you actually even have any) by using the non-drug psycho-social learning techniques used by kids with ADHD .
Time will tell. Dealing with tons of things at once, perhaps it is the stress doing it …

At least it ain't propylhexedrine brain damage you are facing all I can say.

Wellbutrin sucks and does nothing IMO
Ya it made me cry in my first inpatient got on it as a nurse recommended it I wanted to quit smoking and wasn't arguing with a mood boost but it didn't help with either stopped taking without telling them maybe spit it out after acting like I swallowed it with apple sauce if memory serves correct.

Not sure hazy memory I know I wasn't taking all the pills they lined us up for morning and night everyone gets the same

I don’t think that the Adderall (though that dosing is quite concerning) is the cause of your issues. Most likely stress.

If you are truly worried about amphetamine induced cognitive damage, then the non-drug learning techniques @Perforated suggested, supplements like NAC, and maybe a few week low dose Memantine regiment (possibly the most effective but also the only risky option) could probably help you repair it.

Wellbutrin at times worsened mood swings for me, but I honestly would credit your issues far more to stress than to anything else.

Over the course of the past 2.5 yrs, I would binge on Adderall every 6 or so weeks. Would take 180-300 mg over a course of 12 hours … About 2 months ago, I became really depressed…

I have been on Wellbutrin 150 XL since Jan 19, and it worked until about 2 months ago …

life Has been super stressful, and there are many stressor I have …

Question: What is the chance that I fucked my brain up?
Did you lose consciousness/stop breathing at any point during your usage? Suffer a stroke?

You'll be fine.