• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and Hair Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... how many of the aforementioned subjects experiencing hair loss women? and if so are you on birth control?

.... how many of the aforementioned subjects experiencing hair loss women? and if so are you on birth control?

I said my g/f was having hair loss, I sure hope she's a woman. She's also on birth control, and wellbutrin

Ex-user male here,

I noticed that I lost hair at an abnormally high rate, usually due to the stress and malnutrition of taking higher doses I would assume. 20mg's shouldn't really affect you that much, even long term I doubt you'll notice significant hair loss.

I would take much more than that per day for months and I noticed I could pull my hair and rip out 15-20 strands at a time, but it wasnt really noticable to anyone other than myself (except wearing black clothing).

Nutrition may play a part, but what about vasoconstriction? I don't know how much blood (and, from that, nutrient flow) flow plays a role in hair production. If follicles need much blood flow, then I could see Adderall hurting their ability to produce strands of hair.

If not, then I dunno. I know hair is "dead" and mostly keratin, but that's as far as my hair and scalp knowledge goes. Adderall, with it's impact on metabolism and body temp definitely keeps the greasy part of our scalp going, but some dude who isn't as drunk or ignorant as me is going to have to take that further.

biotin is the only vitamin that is proven to make hair grow, so check for that in your multivitamin. you can also just get biotin pills at CVS or wherever.

i've never heard of this side effect before--although ugggh, now im going to be paranoid. I've been on adderall for years though, 20 mgs or more and have not noticed it. it sounds like you are definitely sensitive to it. i have noticed when i'm on adderall that i get obsessive about tweezing my body hair, and also comb/touch my hair more frequently. Is it possible you're doing this without realizing it? That could make it fall out more.

if you need to continue taking the adderall:
i would take lots of vitamins (check for biotin!), eat a diet high in omega-3s & 6s, wash and brush your hair sparingly, only use a wide-tooth comb when it's wet. use shampoo and conditioner for thinning hair. Nioxin is well known brand with treatment for mild hair loss.
http://www.nioxin.com/en/home.aspx

take the adderall as sparingly as possible too, and definitely bring it up to your doctor. s/he may be able to offer you solutions that don't involve you stopping your meds.

Thanks for the replies everyone. To answer someones question earlier, yes I'm a girl, no I'm not on birthcontrol or any other medication, no i'm not pulling my hair unknowingly I'm 100% aware of my actions on and off the drug, and for the tenth time I still eat on adderall and am not nutrient deficient. My body adjusted to the drug so I don't have that shitty a comedown and after 3 to 4 hours of 20MG IM I have a regular appetitite.
I pretty much take every B Vitamins, I use Nioxin and almost all things imaginable. Nothing works that's why I'm turning to this thread. It's amazing that after such short amount of usage my hair can thin that quickly. Not like I've been taking it for months or anything.

It's not so much FALLING out as it is THINNING though. Like the space in between each hair has widened a great amount and has also made the actual hair thinner and my part is getting bigger. Agh just so traumatizing.

BTW wellbutrin makes your hair thin too, i took it in jan and stopped after a month because of that reason and then my hair stopped thinning. It has a mild stimulant in it aswell. Look up wellbutrin & hairloss on google, billions of sites dedicated to women and some men freaking out about it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. To answer someones question earlier, yes I'm a girl, no I'm not on birthcontrol or any other medication, no i'm not pulling my hair unknowingly I'm 100% aware of my actions on and off the drug, and for the tenth time I still eat on adderall and am not nutrient deficient. My body adjusted to the drug so I don't have that shitty a comedown and after 3 to 4 hours of 20MG IM I have a regular appetitite.
I pretty much take every B Vitamins, I use Nioxin and almost all things imaginable. Nothing works that's why I'm turning to this thread. It's amazing that after such short amount of usage my hair can thin that quickly. Not like I've been taking it for months or anything.

It's not so much FALLING out as it is THINNING though. Like the space in between each hair has widened a great amount and has also made the actual hair thinner and my part is getting bigger. Agh just so traumatizing.

BTW wellbutrin makes your hair thin too, i took it in jan and stopped after a month because of that reason and then my hair stopped thinning. It has a mild stimulant in it aswell. Look up wellbutrin & hairloss on google, billions of sites dedicated to women and some men freaking out about it.

ya, wellbutrins a nasty drug, trying to get her to taper off it completely

so apparently all amphetamine-like stimulants have had the same effect on you? i've heard that norepinephrine has some kind of link to hair loss, which is why stress can have similar effects. the only advice i can give is to take supplements like folic acid and, if i recall, b vitamins. if this doesn't work then you probably will have to abstain from it. also, have you ever tried a norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor? my girlfriend takes strattera (atomoxetine) and hasn't had any negative side effects except a mild cns depression which should go away after about 2 weeks of dosing.

For me stimulants + stress = hair falling out. Yesterday 60mg of Adderall and i lost more hair than usual...today i'm in bed with a fever and chest cold...

lopez - i think you are right. they work great but theres nothings perfect unfortunately.

Yea.. try having severe ADHD and try to complete 4 online college classes... you can't imagine the headaches I get, they are like someone skewered my eyeballs and branded my brain.

Wait wait wait, the University of Phoenix is enrolling ADHD kids now? AWESOME! I always wanted a degree in underwater basket weaving.

To stay on-topic: this is an unfortunate side effect, that may happen for some people. Just like getting dry skin, for some. As you are aware, its probably not a nutrient deficiency, at least not in ur case. Maybe hormonal, but i know other people reacting to amps, so good topic, imo.

Hair loss may occur due to various reasons such as stress, unhealthy lifestyle or even it could be genetic. So, I suggest a visit to a trichologist will help you in the long run to prevent hair loss. A nutritional supplement diet may also help you to prevent hair loss.

I had the same problem when I was on Topamax for migraines. I asked my doctor if that was a known side effect...he said no. I did some research on my own (googling, mainly) and found a ton of articles and forum posts about people experiencing hair loss while on Topamax. Basically it puts your hair into resting state, meaning that you're not growing new hairs. You lose hairs everyday normally but those are normally replaced at about the same rate by new hair growth. Well, after a while I started finding a ton of hairs in the shower every day and my hair was thinning visibly and also breaking much more easily. I stopped taking it about 9 months ago and my hair is finally starting to look better. I used to have very very thick hair and it was incredibly stressful to discover that I was losing my hair. I'm not sure if the adderall is definitely to blame, but take a look at what else is going on in your life (stress, other medications, nutritional deficiency) and do some research on adderall. Sounds like that might be at least partially to blame. Hope you figure it out.

Nutrition may play a part, but what about vasoconstriction? I don't know how much blood (and, from that, nutrient flow) flow plays a role in hair production. If follicles need much blood flow, then I could see Adderall hurting their ability to produce strands of hair.

If not, then I dunno. I know hair is "dead" and mostly keratin, but that's as far as my hair and scalp knowledge goes. Adderall, with it's impact on metabolism and body temp definitely keeps the greasy part of our scalp going, but some dude who isn't as drunk or ignorant as me is going to have to take that further.

I have been taking 20mg of Adderall from 9 months but I am not aware about the side effect of this medicine. Now I am suffering from severe hair loss problem which could be the side effect of this drug. I have very good and thick hair and don't want to loose them at any cost.
I heard that hair transplant is safe surgical treatment for hair loss. Soon I will go to dermatologist to discuss my hair loss problem. just for the knowledge can anyone tell me the cost of hair transplant surgery.

It is reversible in most cases as I´ve recently read. But I would prefer having my hair instead of Adderall.

Status
Not open for further replies.