AA /NA meetings make me nuts

my brief stint with *a was finding out those who were thumpin me with the book hardest were "dirtier" than myself. lol
didn't need judgement, condescension or a life coach. just needed/need to be honest with myself and the reflections of the past. this has led way further than any program.
we all are different and find our answers in places others may not. all roads lead to rome? ;)
peace

I went to AA from my mid-twenties to my late thirties. When I first started all my friends dropped me and some in my family told me it was a joke. I already knew AA was kinda bullshit but I went ahead and did it anyway because I absolutely had to sort myself out. AA is like religion in a way - there's a lot of baggage and bullshit that comes with it, I was willing to buy into it or set it aside and get on with the program anyway. So that was a good 12+ years of unbroken abstinence and definitely helped me get healthier and mature. In hindsight I probably could have skipped AA if I was correctly diagnosed and prescribed correct meds for MMD/Bipolar but that didn't happen until much later in life. On the other hand, maybe I'm an alcoholic and there is no cure for me. Who knows, after all these years, I don't have any answers.

I ended up moving on from AA in my late thirties because I was searching for my wife. I found her outside of and away from AA. One of the first things she did on a date was to persuade me to have a drink with her. She was trying to liquor me up for reasons of her own I found out later. So, at the time I guess in my mind I thought I was presented with a choice between 12+ years of sobriety or her, so I had a drink with her. I drank pretty solid for 10 years after that. I used to start fights with my wife because I blamed her for my relapsing, the fact I was married to a wonderful woman with whom I had two beautiful kids didn't register with me much at the time. That didn't happen until later. What an asshole I am. My wife told me once that she didn't know what an alcoholic was, she just thought I got overexcited a lot. I think she was lying. Maybe she's right, who knows. I drink now but rarely do - alcohol irrigates my stomach and interferes with my meds, and causes me diarrhea. It's a clumsy high too. I met one of my oldest friends in AA though, he's got like 40 years sober now, married for 50 years, a genuinely good, good guy and someone I will always look up to. On the other hand, one of my dearest in-laws is pretty much drinking himself to death at this very moment and can't be persuaded otherwise by his family and friends. But I'll have a drink with him and salute him if he asks because I love him and respect him. Even if his drinking himself to death is all for nothing and competely avoidable. I hope he understands the gesture. I definitely have no regrets about AA but I would say I'm pretty neutral about it now. I can't really recommend for or against it because it’s such a personal decision. If it helps you, great, if it’s not for you and you like something else, great.

I am a heroin addict. I have been to jail and rehab because of this in past. Now with Suboxone i am maintaining and still doing dope as well . I have been going to NA meetings long time and have had some clean time in past but I still go now even when im using and i refuse to let anyone know im not clean . Maybe its my pride i dont know. I just see no point in hearing them preach to me . I know usings bad and i know i should get clean but i love dope too much . Now I dont know why i still go to meetings when im not ready to be honest or get clean . I think i just go because i have nothing better to do honestly . Anyway i usually end up sitting there thinking how annoying all these people are and how all the program stuff is BS . i dont know if this is "just my addiction talking to me " as theyd say but i do believe it is possible to maintain an addiction and that its not always "jails institutions and death " any opinons ?
I used to do heroin too. I started doing heroin at 16. My mom currently does heroin too. I used to attend smart recovery meetings (online and you dont have to talk, all kinds of different groups, all kinds of ages if you are interested) but i dont anymore. I stopped attending it because i thought it was boring and i had been clean for some time then and deicided i didnt need to hear all that shit.

But being in meetings can be helpful. Maybe you need to try smart recovery meetings. Na meetings, Aa meetings are based on a higher power. With smart recovery its about your mental health. You dont have to talk. You can just listen. And i truly hope one day you hear something that will change your life in a positive way.

Im not going to tell you to not do heroin. Im not going to tell you to not attend meetings or not talk at meetings. Im not going to preach to you. But i do wish the best for you.

Im sure that deep down apart of you cares about yourself and thats why you are still attending those meetings.

I hope i can give you some motivation. I started drinking at 13, smoking cigarettes at 13, smoking weed at 13, doing dxm at 13, doing hydrocodone at 13, doing dip at 13, doing shrooms at 15, doing heroin at 16. At 13 i drank three times a day one of which was during lunch at school. I drank after being sexually assaulted by my sisters friend then later i got drunk and my stepbrother did shit to me while i was drunk. I did dxm so much i cant get high off it anymore. Ive smoked butts off the ground a shit ton of times. Ive stolen cigarettes from people. Ive asked for cigarettes from strangers.

Ive carpetfarmed for weed, ive stolen peoples weed and edibles, ive stolen money for weed, cigarettes, and heroin. Ive almost sold my families stuff for heroin.

Ive been in seven acute mental hospitals, one residential mental hospital, and a group home. Ive been on house arrest. Im clean now. I dont do anything anymore not even cigarettes.

Its possible to be clean. And hell i dont miss heroin anymore. I did at first. But life feels better without it. You save money, you live longer, you live healthier, you stay away from crazy shit, your mind is so much clearer when your away from heroin.

I do believe in the term functioning addict, however i do believe actions have consequences. I hope this message helped you. If not ignore it. I hope this message helps someone. Your not alone.

I feel like they are trying to brainwash me , i feel like they are fake , then in back of my mind i keep thinking "what if im the one who is wrong and im just in denial ave faith in yourself.

As someone here said . have faith in yourself. 4 very deep words. That faith in yourself can be strengthened by the group, strategies, wisdom. You're not betraying anything.

Groups take advantage of individuals all the fuckin time.

But they can't take away the faith in yourself.

And you can't remove their silliness & group think vibes.

I guess forr AA/NA the brother/sisterhood is the main bit of the system. Risky business though re: all lost souls trapped like in that Goonies cave.

Jeez but we all know that Bill founder of AA would honestly have wanted to help people (1) more than inspiring some system of groups spread across the globe (2)
As someone said above, self awareness about your habit & motivations is the goal. Group...doesnt compete with persons self awareness. You call on em for help, thats what a group is for.
Show em love, dont show servitude, show respects..

Anything learned anywhere will always have to go thru yourself anyway. :>

Last edited:
I've been in and out of AA/NA since 2007.
the guilt when I have relapsed, being a newcomer again, has killed it for me.
I've been going high too.

but man the shaming I feel they do (they will say they're "supportive") when I had to come back and be "honest" is on the heavy side.
I'm still trying tho, dumb as it may seem. I'm old, 47 and had a near death from smoking fent recently.
Two weeks in the hospital.
I now have chronic heart failure and am facing death.

I want sobriety like they have but am struggling.
I agree with a lot said in this thread and it was good for me w this fresh view today.
I think I still go cause I'm out of options.
If I smoke crack my heart will stop and it's over.
I wasted my life on drugs, I'm glad I don't have that long left.

AA Tradition 2. ...Our leaders are but twisted serpents...

Just kiddin around. I went to AA/NA for years (1978--2013) off and on. Helped me stay sober for a while and I met a lot of interesting folks. Its an excellent program for some people, and I got a lot out of it. But ultimately it ain't for me. Apparently I'm not alone. With a success rate of 5% to 10%, most "treatments" would be yanked off the shelves and discredited.

Another case of you do you.