A very dark topic...Read at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few points:
1. The bible was writen by man, get over it already.
2. Evil doesnt spring from money and sex. It springs from an individuals egotistical desire to gratify themselves by exploiting others, money and sex r a tool that is used. But money and sex can be used for good purposes too.
3. Christianity is a fleeting religion. In the 1st world it is on the decline, it is only managing to hold a foot hold in the poorer countries because: A. Christians bribe peasants with 'charity' to believe in them. B. Christianity uses fear to hold its followers. But like all fear, it will be overcome and people will see that God is not the same as the Church, just as the church isnt God.
4. Athiesm has its advantages. All over the world people in poorer countries are praying for a better life. They pray as the church tells them to do, like it would know!!!! Anyway... if they were athiests then they would stop praying and go out and build a better life.
5. God knows all, all things r part of the plan. So stop fussing over all the technicalities, its all taken care of.
6. Free will means that God cannot interfere, we are the ones in control. Gods just sitting back and watching the show, puffing on a bong and amusing all those virgin sisters who have given themselves to him. Ya know how the saying goes... give up something and u'll get it back over a million times in heaven...
wink.gif

------------------
"Your understanding of life extends as far as the questions your prepared to ask."

K, a minor point: the problems of the poorer countries are not because they won't get off their asses and do something, as many Americans and others think. It's much more complex than that--the problems of the third world are due in large part to a combination of greed, exploitation, medical progress, and the legacy of 19th century neo-imperialism. Raw economic reality is also a factor.

I am fairly convinced that there is a continued existence after death. I highly doubt it will involve clouds, wings and haloes (or brimstone and pitchforks), but it will be something. Will it be good? Who knows? Maybe we have all existed before in some other state and now we are humans? And is being a human good? Human existence has its very high points and some horribly low ones as well. I think that any existence after this will be similar in nature--not all good, not all bad. And we probably won't "remember" being humans, but hopefully we will have made some kind of impact here so that our existence is remembered in some way by others still alive.
-Aura
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

STASIS
You are PREACHING TO ME ABOUT ATTACKS?
Don't even start you hypocrite!
I'm not trying to IMPRESS you or anyone else!
There is no one on this board worth my time to IMPRESS--especially not yourself!
It's not my problem that you are not able to accept the fact that others have a different belief than yourself! You need to get over YOURSELF---SERIOUSLY---I bet it's real hard for you to RESPECT other people--No it's not me who is wasting space---it's you---I thought you believed in PLUR---Isn't RESPECT involved with PLUR? I thought so, So why don't you keep your POSTS to yourself, go back to PRE-K and learn what RESPECT is! Oh and I also think you should talk to a Psychiatrist so you can deal with your inner issues and the war you fight within yourself, maybe then you will be able to handle a discussion like an adult and not like a child because you don't agree with what is being said! Remember IT'S OK to DISAGREE with someone but IT'S Very Childish to act and carry on the way you do! Then after all of that I will take what you have to say SERIOUSLY and not LAUGH and BLOW YOU OFF like I'm DOING RIGHT NOW! Until then don't expect me REPLY back to your time consuming attacks you call your replies---I have BETTER things to do than waste my time and energy on someone who seems to have nothing better to do than sit on bluelight attacking other people all day long-(YOU)
I actually have a life!
BUT GOD BLESS YOU JUST THE SAME!
Skye*

"The Creative Creationist credo:
When in doubt, attack the lout."
---Tom Schneider

Skye, I think it is you who is doing the attacking. Unless questioning Christian beliefs is considered an attack.
Your posts are reeking with emotion and very short on logic. Even more interesting is the fact that you have not actually quoted scripture once in your responses.
Your so far off the mark on so many biblical topics that it isn't even funny. You'd be suprised at how many of the biblical teachings you take for granted don't even exist. (Example: The Serpent in Genesis is NEVER linked to Satan, You'll also find no verses indicating Satan was cast out of heaven)
Anyway, Do yourself a favor and pick up something like "The Encyclopedia of Biblical Difficulties" by Gleason Archer or better yet sit down and read the fricken book yourself.
[This message has been edited by SolarFlare6 (edited 02 October 2000).]

Belisarius: Yup,I know and I aint amerikan. They have less opertunities, and living economically and quiet often socially restricted conditions. But as I know people who live in these countries, and others who travel through them its quiet stunning that some of them have as much church's as we have 7/11's. In some places its common to goto church every single day. I just dont think doing this will change anything, whats the point in praying if ur not going to get off ur ass and do something about it?

ok i have only spent time in other drugs forum as of lately. i didnt read through 300 posts, but i read the first page and the last page. as a physics major, i must add my .01 (its not worth a full 2 cents yet). in reponse to PHREEX--
teh universe was not created nor did it have to be. time was created WITH teh universe. if you would like i can get into teh nitty gritty, but it would be pretty long. basically the universe started from a point of singularity, as described by hawking, adn at that point, no time existed. this pointed had infinite gravity, hence no time COULD exist. therefore, it wasnt until after the big bang that time started. this means that the unverse is essentially eternal. as far as the hubble constant goes (its being recalculated since the initial figure was wrong. its been projected to be as high as 100 and as low as 50), i think it will end up right around 70-80 which will be just right for the big bang. the biggest problem for most people is that THERE WAS NO FIRST MOMENT OF TIME. ever. no first moment in time exists. we live in t=~15billion years (from our perspective) and teh university was a point of singularity when t=o (from its perpective). now basically, you went from 0 to 15 billion with no FIRST moment. if you would like more info i would be happy to provide it

Since I'm not edukated enough to understand this, can someone else interpret it for me?
Skye: “I'm so sorry you feel that one exististence in this world is only rather a debate and not a living person! “
Since he seems to be basing my entire educational background on this single.... sentance.... I guess I'll need some help from you smart-type people. So whats it mean?

Like I said, it isn't as easy as just "getting off one's ass." If these places seem devout, they were probably devout to begin with, long before their present problems. Religion in these countries serves the same purpose as religion in every other country, developed or otherwise. I think few people would trace the economic success of the first world nations to their respective religions; why should we do the same for the religions of third world nations, tracing them to poverty rather than wealth?

If one cares to glance at mankind he will find that people live in groups/tribes. What is it that these groups have in common?
(i)the stronger ones survive
(ii)the ones which survive have religion
Religion is biological. Its inherent in our psychological make up. Much in the same way a bird makes a nest first time everytime without ever being taught.
Religion is complimentary to evolution. Its brings people together and keeps them together. Thus helping us to survive crises, hence, prolonging the genotype that is man.
The neanderthal died out because they were unable to establish the tribal communities which homo sapian were. They lacked, in their biological/psychological make up, the capacity to establish religion and develop strong, safe tribal communities.
We do now see however that although religion started out as something which may be described as good and even necessary for our survival it has been manipulated into an instrument of fear and propaganda for the gains of power and wealth.
------------------
There is no spoon

If God and heaven did exist. I live my life doing good because i want to do good. Would God keep me out of heaven?
If God and heaven did not exist. I live my life good because i want to do good. I become nothing.
Either way i don't need to make the decision whether or not God exists. Why would you base your life on the "belief" that God does or does not exist.
I try to be the best person i can be.
Beliefs have caused so many problems in our world. The Crusades with 6+million dead, the gassing of the 6 million, etc etc.
The problem is everyone thinks their beliefs are right.

DR. D Butt: By all means get into the nitty gritty. I'd especially like to know why time could not exist, what is your definition of time and why does gravity effect time?
Bel: Yeah but still... These people put all their faith in the church. I see this as wrong on two accounts, the first is that they should put it in themselves and work towards a better future. The 2nd is that the church is at its strongest when these people are down and out of luck, coz that is when they need the church the most. It is then in the church's best interests for these people to stay poor, and for that reason I think the church does little more for them then give them a half-hearted pat on the back.

Belive in what u want 2 belive in, take life as it comes to u, as we can not 4c the future
maby we r put hear for a reason maby not. but belive this, as quoted from the movie Stigmata, which is a true story by the way."The kingdom of god is within u and all around u, not 2b worshiped in a place made out of wood and stone. Split a peace of wood and I will b there, lift up a stone and you will find me". spocken by God himself. if you want more info just rent the movie.
remember smilE coz u can

Belive in what u want 2 belive in, take life as it comes to u, as we can not 4c the future
maby we r put hear for a reason maby not. but belive this, as quoted from the movie Stigmata, which is a true story by the way."The kingdom of god is within u and all around u, not 2b worshiped in a place made out of wood and stone. Split a peace of wood and I will b there, lift up a stone and you will find me". spoken by God himself. if you want more info just rent the movie.
remember smilE coz u can

Wizz E Kid: That quote is out of the gospel of Thomas, it's availible online along with many other gospels that were voted out of the bible at the nicean council.
I'm actually glad you posted that, it is the only gospel that is actually an interesting read.

"We do now see however that although religion started out as something which may be described as good and even necessary for our survival it has been manipulated into an instrument of fear and propaganda for the gains of power and wealth."
VERY well put.
About the time thing- Einstein's equations predict that as gravity(mass) increases, time slows down. As an object increases its velocity to near the speed of light, its mass increases and time, and thus the object slows down so that lightspeed can never be exceeded. This conjecture was proven eperimentally with extremely accurate instruments to measure time and gravity on different parts of the earth. Scientists discovered that in places where gravity was slightly higher, time moved more slowly- the difference however was minute. When an object (the universe) has infinite mass/is moving at lightspeed, then time cannot happen.
------------------
Moins je pense, plus j'existe.

Solarflare 6 ???

There is no logic in wasting my time discussing this with you! You have done your best to attack me and some others for our belief in christianity, but it's ok for you to do that right? Well make up your own rules in your merry little wonderland it doesn't bother me!

You want QUOTES and SCRIPTURES ok but you asked for it!
James 4:1-6: Where do wars and fights come from among your DESIRES for pleasure that war in your members? (members meaning within yourself and others---just breaking it down for you!) YOU LUST AND DO NOT HAVE. YOU MURDER AND COVET AND CANNOT OBTAIN. YOU FIGHT AND WAR. YET YOU DO NOT HAVE BECAUSE YOU DO NOT ASK. YOU ASK AND DO NOT RECEIVE, BECAUSE YOU ASK AMISS, THAT YOU MAY SPEND IT ON YOUR PLEASURES. ADULTERERS AND ADULTERESSES! DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT FREINDSHIP WITH THE WORLD IS ENMITY WITH GOD? WHOEVER THEREFORE WANTS TO BE A FRIEND OF THE WORLD MAKES HIMSELF AN ENEMY OF GOD. OR DO YOU THINK THAT THE SCRIPTURE SAYS IN VAIN, "THE SPIRIT WHO DWELLS IN US YEARNS JEALOUSLY"? BUT HE GIVES MORE GRACE. THEREFORE HE SAYS:

"GOD RESISTS THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE."
I'm not sure you even understand the scripture, I think it confuses you and not understanding is fear and a natural reaction would be to reject it, so it's just easier to call it crap? Did I get it right? I'm sure I did.

Oh but I guess there is no logic in me having this discussion with you because you are blind and do not believe, how can you possibly expect to truly understand God's teaching when you are not asking the holy spirit to reveal the meaning of the parables. you are not asking! I was once where you are...you can think i'm full of it, but it's true! Whatever...I also noticed you stated that noah's ark was unrealistic--where have you been? don't you know they have found an ark the same size and have determined it the age noah's ark would be? You really have no idea of what you are talking about. I forgive you of your insults though! Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be happy, cause by reading your posts, it looks as though you are just a cold person, like it's as if there is no feeling inside of you! The scary thing is I used to be there, I used to do some crazy stuff and i look back now and i think of what an ass I was, but i'm just being honest with you and i wouldn't go out of my way hurt anyone. Take this as you want, but please understand that I'm not attacking you in any way and i apologize if you feel that to be the case! I guess i would naturally be defensive too if my whole belief system was somehow thrown off target by another's statement---I know cause I used to ask everyone how can you be so sure of what to believe in and i'm not angry anymore cause i have discovered the truth---i mean it doesn't bother me when someone throws an opposing belief at me anymore cause i am confident and at peace now that I actually know Christ, and not just of him or about him, but I know him inside! It's hard to explain! But I pray that everyone can find the happiness I have found!

PEACE
Skye*

Last edited by a moderator:
algorythm---actually it has to do with the fact that gravity BENDS time, therefore, to travel teh same amount of time (relative to teh person who is doing the travelling) would require more time (relative to an observer moving at the initial time). since time and space are woven together in such a way that you can have one wihtout the other, think of time as distance. you want to go 100 yards across a football field. so you walk striaght down teh sideline. now imagine that something caused the sideline to bend (ie someone who was drunk writing the chalk lines). so you walk along that same sideline, adn still have a displacement of 100yds; however, to an onlooker you went muhc further. its not really an exact way of thinking about it, but its the esaiest way to imagine it... in fact when you graph shit, you usually graph it on a 3-d graph with an x,y, and z planes, but you take out one dimension of space, and then put in time. that way you graph the 3-d space and time via 2dimensions of space, and 1 dimension of time....this shit is very complex and if you want to know more, email me because this thread is too long and i dont ever come into this forum (i hang out in the other drugs area)...

Status
Not open for further replies.