View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

a REALISTIC description of LSD?

wobbleminge

Greenlighter
I posted a little while ago about candyflipping because I'm interested in LSD. But having looked up on the net about peoples experience on LSD, and also googled pictures and youtubed videos of what people saw on their tip, I feel like I'm no more in the know than I was before.

All the descriptions seem very spiritual and existential, which I don't discount - that may be exactly what people experienced but to someone who has never tried it, that kind of description is really hard to interpret. I need a more...bland...description, I suppose. But I also appreciate that everyones trip is different.

As for the visual effects, have a look on google yourself if you would. There's pictures of faces with coloured swirls symmetrically coming out of them, rainbow-like religious and spiritual scenes and cosmic and mathematical things. Again, interesting, but how accurate is that? Some people have described simpler things to me, like walls breathing in and out, noticing intricate detail in things that you haven't noticed before, and a general subjective change in how your body feels etc.

So I was just wondering what your experiences were, described in a way that attempts to remove subjectivity and makes it clear. Thanks :) looking forward to reading =D

the fact is, everyone reacts differently, and often times different trips can produce markedly different results (even in the same person with the same batch)

some common things:
breathing/melting of smooth surfaces (walls, floors, tables) especially if they are textured (wood grain, stucco)
tracers
color enhancement
difficulty with body perception (this can cover a range of things)
feelings of peace/tranquility/happiness
confusion
energy (as in feeling energetic)

ummm....im sure there are others, but those are the ones i hear most often. check out www.erowid.org for more info

Last edited:
Individual effects vary from person to person.

For me its like becoming a different person (specifically a child) for the duration. I see, hear and think utterly different to normal allowing me to enjoy the world like the first time I saw it.

Every single LSD trip is different. Even for every single different person.

Thus, you cannot explain an acid trip. rincewindrocks told you the basics of what you can expect. But there is nothing more to say. Have a good set and setting, have some good friends around, and enjoy yourself!

This is what happens to me on a moderate dose:

Your thought process undergoes quite a dramatic change and any situation that you are in will become somewhat intensified.

This isn't necessarily bad, as it depends upon the situation itself, your surroundings, you, and the people you are with.

For example, sitting in a room listening to music with your mates begins to generate hidden complexities. You notice little social discrepancies and such, and this tends to make you look inward and question who it is you really are. Thoughts become more pronounced and things can become attached with extra meaning and symbolism.

Visuals tend to be geometric coloured patterns which I find very hard to describe with words. If you move for example your arm, you will see a coloured trail (tracer) follow the path it took, sometimes with coloured little balls on the end. Some times the visuals for me can be audible, and I hear a sound almost like slowly rippling water as the visuals twirl and swirl about.

Music is easily the best bit for me. You notice sounds which were never there before and it seems to acquire an added dimension of elegance and beauty. The character of sound changes entirely. Sometimes the music can begin to twirl and move in quite a strange fashion. The best way I can describe it is, it sounds extremely psychedelic.

And that's the thing - a lot of us were like you when we first came here and started reading all these stories of different drug experiences, but couldn't understand what it really felt like. You need to try it to understand. For me, when I first tried psychedelics I found them to be very familiar, and I could hear/see things and just know it was psychedelic. Like I recognised it from somewhere deep within.

Oh and if it sounds at all intense, then just opt for a smaller dose. Milder LSD experiences for me have involved the visuals/sound aspects, but in a much milder manner, and with barely any of the heightened mental effects - just a slight change in thought process.

Stick around and you'll see. LSD & inquisitive nature are a perfect match.

Bland description? Thought shift and you see shit.

Beyond that - try it and find out! ;)

As for the visual effects, have a look on google yourself if you would. There's pictures of faces with coloured swirls symmetrically coming out of them, rainbow-like religious and spiritual scenes and cosmic and mathematical things. Again, interesting, but how accurate is that?

Not at all. IMO. They're only ever approximations. Luke Brown is as near as I've seen as far as approximations of mushrooms go, but they're only snapshots. I could hold every one of the images on this page in my head all at the same time and just morph and morph and morph them again and then some, but they'll never be anywhere near the CEVs I get on mushrooms. They don't have the depth of field for one, but the organic-ness of them is kinda right.

On acid it's different again. The colours and the iridescence and the symmetry are kinda right-ish, but yer genuine article is more mathematical, more geometric, ever-changing, more energetic, more structured, more 3-dimensional, with a greater depth of field, more plastic, and fluid. Like there's almost a skin on the visuals sometimes that's rippling away in patterns all by itself. You can drill down to fractal like detail, and behold the whole all at once, being in both places at the same time, the whole thing being a shifting plane of light in front of you, and a sphere of brilliance orbiting the particular point of consciousness you inhabit within the whole.

There's no capturing it really, in art or in words. Our visual and verbal language is predicated on subjects and objects, beholder and beholden. You're somewhere outside of that whole subject / object dichotomy on LSD, in a way that encapsulates the whole, so attempts to capture it in the real world are only ever gonna be half-glimpses.

Course, the pretty pictures ain't why we do acid, is it, eh? Sure adds interest to the ride though! :p ;)

Tranced said:
For me, when I first tried psychedelics I found them to be very familiar

Yes! Like you've come home, and found yourself there waiting for you to turn up? More mushrooms than LSD that one for me, but yes. Absolutely! :)

Last edited:
these are good responses...! ^ :D

visual intensity definitely varies from person to person...i've seen very intense shit on low doses of psychedelics, but then again i'm an artist and a visual thinker by nature. much of the experiences is seeing ones own mind and the mechanics by which ones perception is facilitated. so you see sensory stimulus, but now you're 'off to the side', so instead of seeing the 'clean cut' perceptual picture that we're used to in non-psychedelic states we instead have to watch the eternal tsunami of 'perceptual manufacturing' process.

one thing is your sense of 'segmenting' your experience into something along the lines of 'snapshots' changes into using the format of 'movies' lol. by this i mean, when you look around the room, you're likely to not 'take it in' perceptually as a series of still-frame acknowledgments of the objects around you, but instead will see the 'living picture' of the world around you without 'segmentation'. its kind of a change in the symbol structure of the brain i believe, your memory does a similar thing tripping...instead of only remembering little pictures which represent your memory of an event, psychedelics give us the opportunity to re-live memories and they change the way our brain categorizes its experiences. or often we can see our thoughts, which generally have a 2-dimensional flatness to them, come to life before our eyes.

aside from that the other 2cents is that you are super aware during psychedelic experiences. your senses are very heightened and you are generally being overwhelmed to a certain degree by the awareness of your sensory stimuli. your emotions are also super-charged, you will likely feel your response to situations very vividly. even seemingly mundane experiences will pierce you with undeniable emotional responses.

ultimately you are seeing yourself. when you are 'clear minded', you will experience transcendent states without thinking much of what you're seeing. when your mind begins to wander or imagine (which it likely will lol) you can see your thoughts, and you can see how the experience you have day-to-day is not so simple as being you experiencing an objective reality. much of what psychedelics bring to the surface is the obviousness of the fact that 'All you Ever see is Your own Perception'. we don't get the luxury of seeing out of the eyes...we get only the perceptual image drawn by the brains interpretation of the experience from light hitting the retina and then converting it into a message which gets sent to the occipital lobe etc etc. Even if there is an objective reality outside of us, we are always just seeing our own creation's attempt to make sense of it.

happy journies,
:D -tUt

I personally find that Alex Grey really captures the feel of LSD with some of his artwork. There's a synthetic candy feeling to everything yet at the same time it's dazzling, beautiful, otherworldly, even ominous. Everything you see takes on a whole new depth, as you find yourself focusing deeper and deeper into any given concept. Time appears to slow down as your analysis of the contents of every single moment deepens, causing a drifting, dreamlike sensation. The usually concrete rules of reality begin to bend. Everything takes on a cartoony or CGI tang, with significance plain in every face and object. You will find yourself understanding more than you ever have before, and it will all seem so damn obvious. Why weren't you able to see things so clearly before? - because your ordinary state of consciousness is bland, clouded, confused. At the same time, the inebriating effect of the LSD will make simple tasks more of a challenge, especially while you're being constantly sidetracked by what's going on in your head and forgetting what you were just doing.

Emotions become more intense and warp, so a resonant sentence can appear to be laced with deep aggression and authority, for example. Music becomes revelatory. Tastes explode in your mouth, analysed in psychedelic crystal shards as they melt onto your tongue. All the while everything you see is swimming, paintings becoming three dimensional and moving, geometric patterns forming everywhere you look, trees taking on the appearance of bloodsucking monsters or heavenly stairways. A great peace comes over you early on, as your problems disappear and you find yourself breathing easier in the strange yet comfortable glow of acid. This peace is not completely stable; you may find yourself experiencing intense negative emotions of terror, discomfort or sadness, often for no immediately apparent reason. If you lose yourself in these emotions, everything about the trip can turn dark and horrific, and you may find yourself lost in this state for minutes that feel like hours, or hours that feel like days. This is why it's important to start low and build up, so you're not going in deeper than you can handle. I recommend starting with sub-visual doses, at which point almost none of what I've just described will be apparent to you, and working your way up. At some point you will find yourself pushing the envelope, breaking your comfort zone, just by the difference a quarter tab can make, so don't worry about having any 'boring' first trips - you'll be in fairy land soon enough.

Everything I've relayed is based on my own and on others' experiences. To me, LSD is very special and friendly, with an element of self-consciousness that makes it unlikely I'll slip into psychosis, whereas mushrooms are far more unpredictable. However, I've never taken high doses of LSD before. As others have said, everyone experiences LSD in their own way; you may be highly sensitive to it, or not at all, you may get crazy visuals or almost none, you might hate the whole thing and never want to do it again. Start nice and easy, explore the process and see for yourself. Have fun!

Here's a drawing of mine inspired by psychedelic usage called 'Mushroom wearing earrings' that may help the OP:

Picture-62.png

Like me on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lando-Jones/183430288370249

I think there's a tremendous amount of bullshit talked about LSD visuals. It's almost as if people feel under pressure to say "Yes, I saw God crawl out from under the duvet".

What you get is the world looks like a painting. They're are enhanced colours, you get an appreciation of nature. If you look at patterns in stained glass windows you'll notice them moving, similarly patterns in the walls etc. When you close your eyes you'll see the Alex Grey kind of visuals.

But that's about it. There's going to be no elephants dancing down the street wearing pink tutus I'm afraid.

But that's about it. There's going to be no elephants dancing down the street wearing pink tutus I'm afraid.

Pfffft! My very first trip was with a couple of mates who'd been doing acid and E for a year or two before I hooked up with them. We went out to the golf course that was still being put together out in the woods as it got properly dark, the only source of light being a full moon and the general background glow of the village around the periphery. I was stood open mouthed just watching the rush of colour streaming off the trees when all of a sudden I became aware of a presence coming towards me out of the shadows. It was a giant white rabbit, 6 feet tall up on it's hind legs, its arms and ears moving in a way I found really sinister as it pranced and danced towards me. I was utterly transfixed, rooted to the spot by terror, all the while telling myself 'it's not a rabbit, it's J, my mate, it's not a rabbit, it's not an impossible 6 foot rabbit.' Only when it was near enough to reach out and touch did I overcome the fear, grabbing for it to stop it coming any closer. My mate J shit himself! :lol: He'd not been doing anything weird, he'd just walked over to check I was doing ok, and suddenly had me lunging at him, my face a mask of terror.

So, elephants in tutus? Probably not, no. But impossible animals are ten a penny. :lol: ;)

Ismene, I think there can be wildly different subjective effects from one person to the next. My friends used to ask me why I was laid out with my eyes closed all the time, wondering how I could pass up on the OEV effects that were a main motivation for tripping. It took me ages to understand that they didn't experience CEVs, at all hardly. They needed an external stimulus. I OTOH found the OEVs only mildly of interest, being ultimately shallow eye-candy when compared to the extraordinary richness of the things I experienced with eyes closed. So very variable, and so very subjective, and yes, I have often had trips where I felt like I was staring into the abyss of Hell, or seeing the many faces of God in all her forms.

Last edited:
^good example of how visuals qualitatively differ as well as differ in intensity from user to user....

i was looking through a tree's silhouette at the sky, when all the leaves looked like bats, and then flew away...lol, the tree was fucking gone for a moment. before i fear and loathing-esque-ed came to to reveal the tree still fine and doin its thang. i've only had a handful of moments with LSD where i've seen images 'melt' or fall apart completely and it always has that 'room full of lizards' feel like in F&L. right when it becomes overwhelming and you're about to really question a whole new level of you perception's validity Wham! you're back and everythings generally normal...still trippy, but the objects have returned and you're no longer in a pure delusion lol.

Pfffft! My very first trip was with a couple of mates who'd been doing acid and E for a year or two before I hooked up with them. We went out to the golf course that was still being put together out in the woods as it got properly dark, the only source of light being a full moon and the general background glow of the village around the periphery. I was stood open mouthed just watching the rush of colour streaming off the trees when all of a sudden I became aware of a presence coming towards me out of the shadows. It was a giant white rabbit, 6 feet tall up on it's hind legs, its arms and ears moving in a way I found really sinister as it pranced and danced towards me. I was utterly transfixed, rooted to the spot by terror, all the while telling myself 'it's not a rabbit, it's J, my mate, it's not a rabbit, it's not an impossible 6 foot rabbit.' Only when it was near enough to reach out and touch did I overcome the fear, grabbing for it to stop it coming any closer. My mate J shit himself! :lol: He'd not been doing anything weird, he'd just walked over to check I was doing ok, and suddenly had me lunging at him, my face a mask of terror.

So, elephants in tutus? Probably not, no. But impossible animals are ten a penny. :lol: ;)

Have to agree, once tripping on LSD at a rave (not the best location...) I went into a dark field and believed there were big black dogs engraged like zombie dogs with sharp teeth and flashing lights attached to their backs. They chased me around the field as I ran in terror while occasionally stopping and pondering and trying work out if they could possibly not be real due to the acid. When I got back to the tents I wanted to tell everyone excitedly that I think I'd just been chased by some big dogs lol, but I 'wasn't sure'. Hahaha

Lol those were the days.

;)

Lando said:
Lol those were the days.

Sure were. :) I'd love to be able to recapture some of it back when it was all new, and revelatory, and the scene was still fresh and innocent. Nearest I can come to it is with some of the new RCs as I don't have acid available to me these days, but it's not the same. Noone wants to bother dealing in it when coke and smack and crystal MDMA are so much more lucrative and mass market appeal. Acid's not for everyone, occupying a bit of a niche market for those who take drugs to go somewhere deep inside, rather than just as a way to get fucked up for a laugh, or get away from who and what and where they are. Shame.

For a movie..that is very good. Especially the visuals inside the car. Ahh makes me wanna do some acid!