Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

A Quote Thread....

Afraid to watch,
doesn't dare to see.
The only one i can cope with is me.
------------------
Speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks.

"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."

"I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail, not to scorn human actions, but to understand."

- Benedict de Spinoza

"How can you tell if I am hurting,
If you cannot see my pain?
To wear it on my body,
Tells what words cannot explain."
~C. Blount

"Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one's definition of your life;
define yourself."
~Harvey Fierstein

"You bleed just to know you're alive."
~Goo Goo Dolls

"Pain of mind is worse than pain of body."
~Syrus

"I wish they would only take me as I am."
~Vincent Van Gogh

"There's nothing worse than being surrounded by people and feeling like you're all alone."
~G. M.

"Society is no comfort to one not sociable."
~William Shakespeare

"Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused, and frightened, and even sickened by human behaviour."
~J. D. Salinger

"In three words I an sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
~Robert Frost

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."
~Brandon Ramos

"Whenever I look inside myself, I am afraid."
~C. E. M. Joad

"No one ever lacks good reasons for suicide."
~C. Pavese

"There is no ache more deadly than striving to be oneself."
~Yevgeniy Vinokurov

"It is much more secure to be feared than to be loved."
~Niccolo Machiavelli

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is try to please everyone."
~Bill Cosby

"I do not believe in God because I do not believe in Mother Goose."
~Anonymous

"Boy when you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die, someonbody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything but sticking me in a goddam cemetary. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you are dead? Nobody."
~J. D. Sallinger

"To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."
~e. e. cummings

"I have no prejudices. I hate everyone equally."
~W. C. Fields

"Forgive, but never forget."
~John F. Kennedy

~*To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.

^^been on my aim profile for so long, I forgot who it was by..

~I got so much ice, make a snow man jealous - friend

my favorite quotes are in my BL quotes below..

"Here I sit, broken-hearted,
came to shit, but only farted."

-- written on wall of cafe in Kent, Ohio.

That may be so, but I've only seen it etched in a stall in a cafe in Kent, Ohio. Feel better?

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Reality is not only stranger than we suppose, it is stranger than we CAN suppose - Terrence McKenna
Treat everyone you meet as though they are god in drag - Baba ram Dass

"Why do we kill people who are killing people to show that killing people is wrong?"
-- Holly Near.

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
-- Albert Einstein.

"Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself. Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- attributed to Timothy Leary.

"I want to be ripped apart by music. I want it to be something that feeds and replenishes, or that totally sucks the life out of you. I want to be dashed against the rocks."
-- Jeff Buckley.

“Publish and perish..”
--Giordano Bruno, as quoted by Ramamurti Shankar, in Quantum Mechanics

"In the province of the mind, what is believed to be true is true or becomes true, within limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended. In the province of the mind, there are no limits."
-- John Lilly.

“Whereas psychology considered masochism as a disease, pre-nineteenth century religion regarded it as a cure. The ancients were in touch with the spiritual, physical and emotional value of masochism. For them, it was an essential part of reality; a combination of the soul in a tortured state, rapturous delight, exquisite pain and unbearable passion that brought them closer to experiencing union with something greater than their individual egos.”
-- Dorothy C. Hayden, CSW in Masochism as a Spiritual Path.

“The state can’t give you free speech and the state can’t take it away. You’re born with it like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try and take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free.”
-- Old Campbell, from Ani Defranco poster.

“Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.”
-- Sir Winston Churchill.

"Biologically the species is the accumulation of the experiments of all its successful individuals since the beginning."
-- H.G. Welles.

“We are the products of editing, rather than of authorship.”
-- George Wald.

“A tool is amoral; it has no morality, and is inherently neither good or bad. The intent of the user of the tool, however, may be either good or bad. So the tool can always be used either way, for beneficial purposes or for evil purposes. It's the hand that wields the knife that is moral or immoral; it is not the knife. The same cutting tool can be used by the surgeon to heal, or the murderer to kill. Human intent differentiates amorality into morality and immorality.”
-- Thomas E. Beardon, interview.

“Everything that can be invented has been invented.”
-- the Commissioner of the U.S. Office of Patents, Charles H. Duell, 1899.

“Keep your face to the sunshine and you can never see the shadow.”
-- Helen Keller.

“I am impregnated with myself, and when I know myself, I'll deliver.”
-- Anna Gross.

“Making love with you
Is like drinking sea water.
The more I drink
The thirstier I become,
Until nothing can slake my thirst
But to drink the entire sea.”
- Marichiko.

“Anything more than the truth would be too much.”
-- Robert Frost.

“1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
2. From discord, find harmony.
3. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.”
-- Albert Einstein, The Three Rules of Work

“You can only find truth with logic if you have already found it without it.”
-- G. K. Chesterton.

“Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible.”
-- Doug Larson

“If you understand, things are as they are. If you do not understand, things are as they are.”
-- Gensha.

“`Freedom’ is just another word for `nothing left to lose’.”
-- Janis Joplin.

“Knowing is not enough;
We must Apply.
Willing is not enough;
We must Do.”
-- Goethe.

“Monitor your thoughts; they become words.
Monitor your words; they become actions.
Monitor your actions; they become habits.
Monitor your habits, they become character.
Keep track of your character,
For it becomes your future.”
-- ixoyc.

“Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance.”
-- Sam Brown, Washington Post, January 26, 1977

“What is the seal of attained freedom?.-- No longer being ashamed in front of oneself.”
- Nietzsche, Aphorism 275.

“Paul Slazinger says, incidentally, that the human condition can be summed up in just one word, and this is the word: Embarrassment.”
-- Kurt Vonnegut.

“Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.”
-- Mark Twain.

“Against boredom, even the gods themselves struggle in vain.”
-- Nietzsche.

“You can trust the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried every other alternative.”
-- Winston Churchill, 1941.

“What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.”
-- Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols.

“If you suffer and forgive those who made you suffer, you are the stronger of the two.”
-- Derek Ivany.

“The soul that can speak through the eyes
can also kiss with a gaze.
Isolation is aloneness that feels forced
upon you, like a punishment.
Solitude is aloneness you choose and embrace.
I think great things can come out of solitude,
out of going to a place where all is quiet except
the beating of your heart.”
-- Leanne M. Laskas.

“Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.”
-- Leroy Paige.

“Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.”
-- Higdon's Law.

"There is no difference in principle between sharpening perception with an external instrument, such as a microscope, and sharpening it with an internal instrument, such as one of these...drugs. If they are an affront to the dignity of the mind, the microscope is an affront to the dignity of the eye and the telephone to the dignity of the ear. Strictly speaking, these drugs do not impart wisdom at all, any more than the microscope alone gives knowledge. They provide the raw materials of wisdom, and are useful to the extent that the individual can integrate what they reveal into the whole pattern of his behavior and the whole system of his knowledge."
-- Alan Watts, The Joyous Cosmology.

"Shamanism and similar areas of research have gained in significance because they postulate new ideas about mind and spirit. They speak of things like vastly expanding the realm of consciousness ... the belief, the knowledge, and even the experience that our physical world of the senses is a mere illusion, a world of shadows, and that the three-dimensional tool we call our body serves only as a container or dwelling place for Something infinitely greater and more comprehensive than that body and which constitutes the matrix of the real life."
-- Holger Kalweit, Dreamtime and Inner Space.

"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
- Rich Jeni, on going to war over religion.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
- Emo Philips.

“Never eat erotic pussy.”
-- Hedgehog-looking lad at Mentor Eat-N-Park.

“Thousands of people die every day in Kosovo, and here we are, worried about a few dead kids in Colorado.”
-- Buck, at Mentor Eat-N-Park.

“Have a cigarette -- don’t grab your boobs, have a cigarette.”
-- seat to the left during bar rush, Mentor Eat-N-Park, 3/14/99.

“There is no doubt that if we lived in a police state, it would be easier to catch terrorists. If we lived in a country that allowed the police to search your home at any time for any reason; if we lived in a country that allowed the government to open your mail, eavesdrop on your phone conversations, or intercept your email communications; if we lived in a country that allowed the government to hold people in jail indefinitely based on what they write or think, or based on mere suspicion that they are up to no good, then the government would no doubt discover and arrest more terrorists… But that probably would not be a country in which we would want to live. And that would not be a country for which we could, in good conscience, ask our young people to fight and die. In short, that would not be America. Preserving our freedom is one of the main reasons that we are now engaged in this new war on terrorism. We will lose that war without firing a shot if we sacrifice the liberties of the American people.”
-- Senator Russ Feingold in 10/25/01 Senate debate.

"This law is based on the faulty assumption that safety must come at the expense of civil liberties. The USA Patriot Act gives law enforcement agencies nationwide extraordinary new powers unchecked by meaningful judicial review."
-- Laura W. Murphy, Director of the ACLU's Washington National Office.

"I am playing with my Self, I am playing with the world's soul, I am the dialogue between my Self and el espiritu del mundo. I change myself, I change the world."
-- Gloria Anzaldua, Bordlands/LaFrontera: The New Mestiza.

"You either need to force yourself onto new tracks, or fucking de-rail the whole thing and change analogies."
-- Wise Man Omin Channing to Rewired.

"Speech is obscured by the gloss of this world. The net exists because of the fish. Once you catch the fish you can then forget the net. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Trap the rabbit and you can leave the snare. Words exist because of the meaning. Get the meaning and then you can forget the words. Where can I locate someone who forgets words, so that communication will be possible?"
-- Chuang Tzu.

“A committee is the only life form with 12 stomachs and no brain.”
-- Kirby.

“The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want in the moment.”
-- Success Hotline Online.

“An eye for an eye -- and the whole world would be blind.”
- Kahlil Gibran

“Trying to control life is like trying to control the ocean. The best you can hope for is to move with it, catch hints of the rhythm and not get caught in the undertow.”
-- Austin.

“One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.”
-- Nietzsche.

“Which are you trying to drink: the water or the wave?”
-- John Fowles, The Magus.

“Every problem contains within it it’s own solution.”
-- from an episode of Wonder Years.

"Every cloud has it's vast, bottomless pit of despair."
-- Plucky Duck.

"Life is like a beautiful melody, only all the lyrics are messed up."
-- Anon.

“Hey Tammy, you know what they say, don’t you? Never trust a person who eats a bagel after 10pm.”
- Adam, in Mentor Eat-N-Park, 2/14/98.

“Tell me is there something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you’d like to find out what’s behind these cold eyes
you’ll just have to claw your way through the disguise.”
-- Pink Phloyd.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson.

and now for something completely different

Some excerpts from one of my favourate acid movies...
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

The Meaning of Life Song

"Why are we here? What's life all about?
Is God really real, or is there some doubt?
Well, tonight, we're going to sort it all out,
For, tonight, it's 'The Meaning of Life'.
What's the point of all this hoax?
Is it the chicken and the egg time? Are we just yolks?
Or, perhaps, we're just one of God's little jokes.
Well, ça c'est le 'Meaning of Life'.

Is life just a game where we make up the rules
While we're searching for something to say,
Or are we just simply spiralling coils
Of self-replicating DNA. Nay, nay, nay, nay, nay, nay.

In this 'life', what is our fate?
Is there Heaven and Hell? Do we reincarnate?
Is mankind evolving, or is it too late?
Well, tonight, here's 'The Meaning of Life'.

For millions, this 'life' is a sad vale of tears,
Sitting 'round with rien nothing to say
While the scientists say we're just simply spiralling coils
Of self-replicating DNA. Nay, nay, nay, nay, nay, nay.

So, just why-- why are we here,
And just what-- what-- what-- what do we fear?
Well, ce soir, for a change, it will all be made clear,
For this is 'The Meaning of Life'. C'est le sens de la vie.
This is 'The Meaning of Life'."

The Galaxy Song

MAN: All right. [snap] I'll tell you what. Look. Listen to this.
[music]

MAN IN PINK:
"Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious, or daft,
And you feel that you've had quite enough,

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

MRS. BROWN: [sigh] Makes you feel so, sort of, insignificant, doesn't it?
MAN: Yeah. Yeah. [sniff] Can we have your liver, then?
MRS. BROWN: Yeah. All right. You talked me into it.
MAN: Eric! [clap]

Some more stuff:
CHAIRMAN: ...Which brings us once again to the urgent realisation of just how much there is still left to own. Item six on the agenda: the meaning of life. Now, uh, Harry, you've had some thoughts on this.

HARRY: That's right, yeah. I've had a team working on this over the past few weeks, and what we've come up with can be reduced to two fundamental concepts... One... people are not wearing enough hats. Two... matter is energy; in the Universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this soul does not exist *ab inito*, as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.
[pause]

BERT: What was that about hats, again?

One of the problems with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capitol punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
-some guy on bash.org

^^ Yeah, I never expected the Spanish Inquisition in America.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!"

(mind the anology) how much does this
"imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.B.
remind you of this
“Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible.” -- D.L.

Last edited:
You have created a powerful monster
with direction and a purpose of it's own
and if you were here
would things be any different?
or are you just a mosaic of thoughts alone?

^ One of my Fav. Bad Religion quotes from the song Chimaera I would put the whole song here but I couldn't be bothered and it is lengthy.

"Yeah apparently a teacher in britain was arrested. On him they found a pencil, eraser, ruler, protractor and compass.
They said he was part of the Al Gebra network, and that he had weapons of math instruction!"

The only true wilderness is between a greenies ears
-toilet wall

»»Ñõ ÒñË Ðïʧ á vï®gîÑ... £ïfE §c®Ews û§ áL£!!¡¡!!»»)

God didn't create the world in seven days; he screwed around for six days and pulled an all-nighter.

I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem.

What's the height of conceit? Having an orgasm and calling out your own name.

Anybody can quit smoking. It takes a real man to fight lung cancer!

Don't do drugs, don't have unprotected sex, don't drink and drive..... Leave that to me

Jesus saves... Passes to Moses - he shoots - He scores!!

Carpe Canine - Seize the Dog!

if yoda so smart in force is, why words in right order he put not?

fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity

No matter how good she looks, some other guy is sick and tired of putting up with her crap.
-restroom wall

I don't have a solution but i admire the problem

Time is the fire in which we burn - Shakespeare

It's never too late to be that which you could have been! - I can't remember! :\

the distance you'd go for anything is the distance you go for everything.