• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

A quick question about the lipid solubility of clonazepam

A new post, because of 'board issues'.

There is this wiki: https://wiki.tripsit.me/wiki/GABA_Receptors_and_Subunits_Info
But I don't fully trust it, especially the given affinity of each benzo for the subunits.
Would you happen to have some kind of source for different affinities of high vs. low potency benzodiazepines ?

Responding to one of your comments, I wonder if clonazepam's muscle relaxing properties are not somewhat similar to baclofen. Clonazepam's action at the thalamic reticular nucleus (serotonin/GABAB) would account for much, but it may also be relevant to muscle relaxation.
A local source for doctors claims that baclofen works at the level of the spinal cord. Clonazepam may also do that, but I have absolutely no specific information about that.
Clonazepam's action as a co-analgesic may be due to its effect on the thalamic reticular nucleus or the reticular formation. (acetylcholine)

Last edited:
A one time bump for this 'old' thread.

For Lorne??? or whoever wants to respond.
Lorne???, I just read your PM today !

comparison_of_benzodiazepine_lipid_solubility.png

Found a decent source (full text) that compares lipophilicity benzodiazepines.

Greenblatt DJ, Arendt RM, Abernethy DR, Giles HG, Sellers EM, Shader RI. In vitro quantitation of benzodiazepine lipophilicity: relation to in vivo distribution. Br J Anaesth. 1983 Oct;55(10):985-9. PubMed PMID: 6626413.

knasky, thank you for that. I'm not sure how that relates to logP but then I'm no expert ...

Last edited: