• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery A new me.

LadyH , I can totally understand how you feel when people know your an addict. I live in a small gossip town. Word got out I was on drugs when I was in my early 20s and have stuck to this day . Ever since I've been judged. Most people dont care because I'm a outgoing person that treats others as they treat me. The biggest problem I have is with some bad people that act " holier than thou ". It used to bother me , but I've kinda grown to like being the outlaw type . It hurts anytime I see snooty folks looking down on someone because they think our addiction is worse than there's. Please keep being yourself and dont worry about what his family thinks of you.

I can totally relate to the situation with your boyfriends family and I actually do have advise for both of you guys. I was in your shoes exactly lady only my wife and I were already married and he first daughter was two. I can’t sleep right now �� but I’m not really in
typing shape. I will definitely post what helped us both get through it in the morning. I’m hoping I(we) don’t end up dealing with it again. It’s extremely hard on a cpl when one individual is despised by the others family.
I know I need to be on methadone. But I also know I’m strong enough to do it. Get clean and stay clean I mean.
I’m so confused.

Oh beenbetter. I wish I had a magic wand and could just make everything better in your life. You're such an awesome person and I want to see you doing well! I have faith I will, eventually, though.

For me, it wasn't that I wasn't strong enough to do it...i know that eventually I could've kicked this..but then I started thinking, how long until I do? What's gonna happen between now and then? Will I be able to keep my job while being an active junkie? Will I be able to hide my addiction from my bf again when we reconcile? Will my friends eventually get tired of me relapsing and going back into my junkie ways and stop wanting to be around me? Will I lose my home? Will my family finally give up on me? Will I even survive?

I couldn't let any of that happen...so I knew what I has to do. It's not the ideal scenario...I wish I could've just put the drugs down myself and walked away on my own...but, unfortunately, that's not how this works most of the time. I do know that I've seen A LOT of people die from fent overdoses over the past couple of years and I knew my time was running out and I couldn't do that do my family, my mother especially..we're incredibly close and if something happened to me, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't make it. She would probably commit suicide. :/ BUT I don't have to worry about that anymore. :D

Please let me know what happened with you and your wife. I'm interested to know.

LadyH , I can totally understand how you feel when people know your an addict. I live in a small gossip town. Word got out I was on drugs when I was in my early 20s and have stuck to this day . Ever since I've been judged. Most people dont care because I'm a outgoing person that treats others as they treat me. The biggest problem I have is with some bad people that act " holier than thou ". It used to bother me , but I've kinda grown to like being the outlaw type . It hurts anytime I see snooty folks looking down on someone because they think our addiction is worse than there's. Please keep being yourself and dont worry about what his family thinks of you.

Ugh that sucks, hik, but it sounds like most of the people in your town are good people who know that everyone has struggles. I'm thankful I live in a large city in which it is incredibly easy to "disappear" in. I mean, I've lived in the downtown area for most of my adult life and, being an outgoing bartender, I know more people than most, but my addiction is still my personal info, for the most part anyways. I'm also fortunate to be struggling with an addiction that so many in this country are struggling with and there's a lot of press about. People are starting to understand that addiction is a disease/disorder more than a shitty character trait and I'm thankful for that. Sure, there's still those people out there (who I generally have found have either NO ONE in their life struggling with addiction, to their knowledge anyways, or have been wronged severely by someone with addiction in the past and have a tough time forgiving others), but we've come a long way from the way we treated addictions even just a couple of years ago.

Honestly, I hate my bfs parents and always have...they're fucking shitty. They're racists, homophobes...they're starting to become insane even...believing in "Pizzagate", q-anon, and all this other hardcore right wing non-sense. My boyfriend couldn't be more different...thank god, and i honestly don't think they would even like him if he weren't their son. Having terrible people like that hate me doesnt bother me, but I'm just worried about things in the future because my boyfriend is very very close with his family, despite their shitty attitudes, and they're very involved in each other's lives. He's stubborn as shit and I know nothing they ever say about me is going to change how he feels about me, if anything their bad remarks about me are just pushing him further away from them and towards me even more. Also, I am upset because I actually used to really like his brother and he and his brother are incredibly close, the best of friends, and he refuses to even be in the same room as me. Can I also note that his brother is currently reconciling with a girl he dated years ago who faked a pregnancy, fake sonogram and all, to try and keep him...my bf hates her but respects his brother's decision so he's kind to her and makes her feel welcome in their home...and my bf has pointed out just how hypocritical he's being to him, that he hates the girl he's about to get back with, but loves him and wants his happiness, so he'll accept her...but he won't accept me because I am recovering from addiction? I wish we didn't have to deal with any of this...i've never had this problem before...I'm a nice girl and, I'll say it, a good girlfriend and every single I've been in in the past has been with a person who's family absolutely adored me. I'm still friends, to this day, with the parents and siblings of a couple of my exes. Shit, I went to the wedding of the guy I was with for 7 years and his parents wanted me and my date to sit WITH THEM at their table because they loved me so much. This is new territory for me. Ugh, thanks for all the advice guys. I'm just dealing with it, I guess, and hopefully time will either kill these miserable bastards (I shouldn't say that...that would destroy my bf) or they'll learn to deal with me.

Ugh that sucks, hik, but it sounds like most of the people in your town are good people who know that everyone has struggles. I'm thankful I live in a large city in which it is incredibly easy to "disappear" in. I mean, I've lived in the downtown area for most of my adult life and, being an outgoing bartender, I know more people than most, but my addiction is still my personal info, for the most part anyways. I'm also fortunate to be struggling with an addiction that so many in this country are struggling with and there's a lot of press about. People are starting to understand that addiction is a disease/disorder more than a shitty character trait and I'm thankful for that. Sure, there's still those people out there (who I generally have found have either NO ONE in their life struggling with addiction, to their knowledge anyways, or have been wronged severely by someone with addiction in the past and have a tough time forgiving others), but we've come a long way from the way we treated addictions even just a couple of years ago.

Honestly, I hate my bfs parents and always have...they're fucking shitty. They're racists, homophobes...they're starting to become insane even...believing in "Pizzagate", q-anon, and all this other hardcore right wing non-sense. My boyfriend couldn't be more different...thank god, and i honestly don't think they would even like him if he weren't their son. Having terrible people like that hate me doesnt bother me, but I'm just worried about things in the future because my boyfriend is very very close with his family, despite their shitty attitudes, and they're very involved in each other's lives. He's stubborn as shit and I know nothing they ever say about me is going to change how he feels about me, if anything their bad remarks about me are just pushing him further away from them and towards me even more. Also, I am upset because I actually used to really like his brother and he and his brother are incredibly close, the best of friends, and he refuses to even be in the same room as me. Can I also note that his brother is currently reconciling with a girl he dated years ago who faked a pregnancy, fake sonogram and all, to try and keep him...my bf hates her but respects his brother's decision so he's kind to her and makes her feel welcome in their home...and my bf has pointed out just how hypocritical he's being to him, that he hates the girl he's about to get back with, but loves him and wants his happiness, so he'll accept her...but he won't accept me because I am recovering from addiction? I wish we didn't have to deal with any of this...i've never had this problem before...I'm a nice girl and, I'll say it, a good girlfriend and every single I've been in in the past has been with a person who's family absolutely adored me. I'm still friends, to this day, with the parents and siblings of a couple of my exes. Shit, I went to the wedding of the guy I was with for 7 years and his parents wanted me and my date to sit WITH THEM at their table because they loved me so much. This is new territory for me. Ugh, thanks for all the advice guys. I'm just dealing with it, I guess, and hopefully time will either kill these miserable bastards (I shouldn't say that...that would destroy my bf) or they'll learn to deal with me.

wow, what a mess. Sorry to hear that. Why does your boyfriend's family know about your addiction? Even based on this brief description you've given it would seem to me a no-brainer that he shouldn't have shared that with them. Even in the most liberal, progressive household, when a son confesses that his girlfriend is a heroin addict his parents are unlikely to be pleased with that news, but you let him tell his far-right conservative parents and brother?? ah well, lesson learned I guess. other than that though, how are you?

Yeah....I wasn't too pleased with him for sharing. They had suspicions...I was always broke and borrowing money from him and they knew that...I got a little noddy sometimes when we were all watching a movie on tv or something...they suspected I might be using something but weren't positive. In his mind, since they already had suspicions he thought it would be better in the long run to admit my addiction and then tell them about my recovery in hopes they would see I was turning things around. Yeah, not so much, and he is now seeing what a fucking dumb idea that was. I mean, shit, I'm incredibly close with my family and they're incredibly accepting folks but I don't think I would tell any of them if I had a s.o. with an addiction problem. Maybe my mom...but she's the most understanding woman on the planet...and I probably wouldn't tell her until my s.o. was deep into recovery and things had gotten a lot better. I'm well aware of the fact that when you tell loved ones about the faults of a significant other, you will forgive and forget but, a lot of times, your loves ones WON'T. I can't tell you how many relationships I've seen ruined over a person constantly running to friends and family when they fight with their so, and then SHOCKER...they all end up hating the SO because all they hear is the negative stuff...a person isn't likely to run to their friends to show them how great their so is, so they're seeing everything completely skewed.

Anyways, besides that, all is well. Same situation at work, overworked, but I'm dealing. Tomorrow I'm going to handle some tickets I didn't pay back in my addiction years...nothing serious but prob gonna cost me a fortune. My work made accidently double paid me this month...they prob wouldn't have noticed either but I couldn't do that to them...so I told them and they're letting me keep it, but miss payday this month...so basically I got an advance on my pay for the upcoming month. So, I'm taking advantage of that and taking care of these tickets that have been hovering over my head for awhile. I'm lucky they didn't put out an FTA warrant or suspend my license for them...but, just in case they decide to do that at some point, I figure I should take care of 'em.

How are you doing, Rio? Did you relapse without me? lol

I found this thread today, and I've never in my life seen someone with so much persistence and dedication towards getting off H. You are so strong, no matter your drops during recovery. It happens to the best if us. I've only shot H once, and I hated it. I've always hated opiates anyway, but I know how hard it is to get off of it. You're amazing! Thank you for the inspiration, I really needed it today

Thanks Tweaker! I mean...I figure I've got only a couple of options and getting off is the only appealing one. Fall down 7 times, get up 8...my dear KraziKat told me that once and that's been my motto ever since. Luckily I've stayed standing for awhile now.

Everyone is different..I had a boyfriend in high school who LOVED uppers, meth mainly but coke, molly whatever. I would partake from time to time, yes even in meth, but uppers were never my think. I think people are wired to either love one or the other (some are wired to like it all, though, it seems..)

Thanks for your kind words, again!

I'm one of those oddballs wired to love it all. Up, down, sideways, I don't care-- I just wanna feel different.

Amazingly, I'm finding that I really like recovery best of all.

Peace&Love,
jasper

I never woke up in the morning wishing I'd gotten drunk the night before.

^^YES! (to that last statement). You know, it's a really great feeling to wake up without a hangover, withdrawal, being high, etc..you know, just with the positivity of a brand new day and the endless possibilities of it. Doesn't happen EVERY day to me, but when it does, it reminds me of what I'm doing all of this for.

but...that sucks, jasper. I know the type though..i have a great friend who's an "everything-addict"...whatever he can get his hands on...weed, alcohol, opiates, crack, pcp, acid, whippets from a whipped cream can. whatever..

I hated cocaine. In college, a girl I liked invited me to check into a fleabag motel with her for a weekend of cocaine and sex. It made me manic and it felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest. It also had the unwanted effect of making my man-parts nonfunctional which was completely at odds with the circumstances. Oddly enough, Adderall has a calming effect, but I'm on a low dose at 10mg up to 2x a day. I don't take it if I'm not working because I'm already an insomniac and I don't want to make it worse.

My alcohol and benzo habit has gotten to a point where I feel like the only alternative to staying clean would be to kill myself. And I've never entertained the idea of suicide because I don't think I would have the cojones to actually follow through on it, so that leaves only one option.

Why are people so obsessed with being completely clean? We're human beings...chemicals are what makes our lives worth living! However, if a chemical is causing your life to go in the toilet, then maybe its time to get rid of it. Who deems which substances are "good" and which are "bad"? Morally, I mean, not safety wise...bc the answer to that is obviously, the FDA. ;)

I hate cocaine, too, A. And for some reason, everyone I know loves it. It feels like cocaine has replaced weed as the "party drug" (and weed is as common as a cigarette at a party used to be now..)...everyone's doing it, it's suddenly "ok" to do, no one judges you for being a "druggie" or anything, it's crazy...at least in the circles I run with. These same people are the ones who would probably lecture me all day about being on methadone if they knew, which is why I keep it to myself.

I don't want to be on methadone for my entire life..but not because I feel *bad* about being on it...mainly because if I do, it means I'll never get to do a lot of things that are on my "Bucket List" like do the entire Pacific Crest Trail or travel to every continent (traveling internationally as a mdone patient CAN be done, but it's difficult and impossible in a lot of countries). I think methadone is something that is making my life a lot better for now, but the strict control of it is what is going to give me a headache in the end with this drug.

Well, obviously by some peoples' definition I'm not "completely clean" given that I take Ativan, Ambien and Adderall therapeutically, but as far as being fucked up on those substances, I can't do it anymore. I've had to postpone a trip to Japan because of the Adderall. They're pretty draconian when it comes to stimulants. It's an interesting story actually, given that a Japanese chemist was the first person to synthesize methamphetamine. Apparently it was handed out like candy to military personnel and arms factory workers during WW2 and after the war, the huge stores of amphetamine and methamphetamine were looted and organized crime shot through the roof. So like any civilized society [sarcasm], they banned them. Interestingly, Vyvanse is in final clinical trials in Japan, so if they ever make Vyvanse legal, I could go that route.

I'm glad there's little stigma surrounding weed anymore. It's not really my cup of tea, but I don't think anyone can dispute anymore that it's way less harmful than alcohol. I'm sure there's some stoner out there who's met their end doing stupid shit because they were stoned out of their mind, but has anyone heard of anyone dying from a weed overdose?

Which reminds me, I was in Bali and I was partying with this crazy ass Australian and he brought back some girls off the street (they were probably hookers - nothing sexual took place because we were too stoned) and I ended up being up all night because of an early morning flight back to Japan. I was still bigtime Chonged (and paranoid) at the airport given that I didn't shower or change clothes and reeked of weed. Some Indonesian army dudes with assault rifles and dogs were walking through the terminal and I was sure I was going to end up in an Indonesian prison because of the dogs. SE Asia is pretty heavy handed on illegal drugs.

Last edited:
^^I've heard.

I'm crossing my fingers that my Korean company never sends me to S. Korea bc all forms of ORT are banned there and methadone is completely banned in general.

Fortunately my boss ran a shady MLM there and I'm pretty sure he's not allowed back in the country now...lol

I was reminiscing on a few years back and remembering a lovely girl I was friends with..this was pre-everyone having a Facebook so we never ended up adding each other on there. Anyways, I decided to look her up today and..she died. In 2013. Turns out..opiates. You never would've guessed it by looking at her or her Facebook or anything like that..but idk what that would look like anyways I guess.

Crazy. Makes me happy about my recent decisions.

One of the reasons I hate opiates so much is because it's taken so many of my friends from us. I'm 23, and we have lost 53 people from 2 schools in 6 years, and only a handful of those were from drunk driving. I've had 3 pass since May 31, and people are all over Facebook mourning the deaths, and still refusing to try to get clean, or at least on something regulated. I know it's a Fucking nightmare trying to do what's right, and staying in recovery but trying is a damn good start.

& I'm not sure how people live *completely* sober adult lives without feeling like the world is coming down on your shoulders. MJ has kept me straight other than a few slips, and I enjoy tripping every month or so. Takes the edge off. People are so uptight these days, I'm waiting for them to pull out whatever's up their asses ? we're not bad people for letting loose, or even losing control sometimes as long as we don't give up. That's what counts

Agreed Tweaker. People who judge others for something like having an addiction are, from what I gather anyways, just trying to make themselves feel like THEY'RE better than someone despite their own problems. Well yeah I cheated on my wife of 20 years and embezzled 10k from my company...at least i'm not a GODDAMNED JUNKIE, right?! Ridiculous. My bfs parents are constantly talking about how the country's going to shit because of all these damned "immigrants and n*ggers", but I'm the bad person bc i did drugs and they're "good Christians". I wish everyone would just realize that no one is perfect, people have shit in their past...pretty much all of us...but our troubles in life are NOT what define us...what defines us is how we react to and deal with those troubles. Just my 2 cents anyways

but anyways...

Things are going well. I'M OFFICIALLY PHASING UP THIS WEEK!!! The positive result for alcohol I got on my UA last week showed such a small amount once they got it through the mass spec, they disregarded the positive result and made it an official NEGATIVE. Sooo..NO MORE SATURDAYS AT THE CLINIC!!! This is also great because it will allow me to start traveling again...something I've really missed being chained to the clinic, and saving money from quitting drugs will allow me to actually afford to travel here soon. I only get one take-home, for now, but if I make it clean another UA next month, I'll get another take-home...and this will continue until I get to the final phase where I'll only have to go to the clinic once a week and only see my counselor once a month. However, unlike some of the other patients at the clinic, I really like my therapist sessions and I try to make the most of them so I think I'll still try and see my counselor once a week, even if I end up- getting to the final phase. I'm really excited that I'm making OFFICIAL progress and everyone at the clinic is super proud at how well I've been doing lately.

This week has been decent, thus far. My boss, who's the VP of the company (and pretty much runs the company, our CEO is just a figure-head, our VP does all the *actual* running of the company) basically told all the mean Korean girls that they would be fired if they messed with me one more time (or he caught wind of them talking shit) so that's been awesome. He got tired of seeing someone who, he thinks, works really hard for the company be subjected to constant abuse due for pretty much no reason at all other than the fact that these girls are mean and cliquish. We're all adults here and these chicks are trying to act like this is high school and there's a popularity contest or something...dumb. I've never been that kind of person at ANY Job....jobs are for paychecks and work not for your social life....don't get me wrong, i've met some of my very best friends through work, but that shit is sooo secondary. Therefore, work has been way more enjoyable...I'm still overworked, but at least I'm not abused on top of it. I've been feeling a bit more social this week than I have in previous weeks, too, which is good bc I was starting to think I was losing my extrovertedness as I quit opes. Trivia night last night was fun and I get to see my honey tonight as he comes up to the city to pick up his new tire and rim from the suburu dealership, and we'll prob have dinner/snuggle up a bit before he has to go back down to his neck of the woods. Just found out one of my best female friends is moving to the bay area in a couple months, so I'm trying to spend some time with her either tomorrow or this weekend bc i need to get my fill before she leaves. This weekend I've got that birthday party of my bf's friend (the one my bfs brother refuses to go to bc i will be there...lol, his loss, the dumbass) but thats about it. Gonna super enjoy sleeping in Sat and not having to go to the clinic.

Hope all are well today. I keep thinking it's a day later than it is....only wednesday unfortunately :/

Congrats, lady!

I'm certainly not 100% "clean." I smoke a little weed and I am definitely addicted to nicotine, caffeine, and sugar. But I am living reasonably well with those things. I have serious problems if I use alcohol, opiates, and a few other drugs. So I abstain from those and my life is much better.

Re: Cocaine. All cocaine ever made me want to do was more cocaine. Especially if I was shooting it. I was always drinking while doing it, too, which complicated the problem (look up the biochemistry behind that). Conversely, crack is the only drug that never appealed to me at all. A lame 5 minute high? Are you fucking kidding? I was always baffled by its popularity.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin