• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

~8 years of LSD - should I get checked out?

t_wrex

Bluelighter
So I just turned 30 this year. I have been using LSD regularly for over 8 years now, at least once a month but sometimes each weekend. This has been mostly consistent (there may have been a few stretches of a few months where I didn't trip, either due to work demands or lack of availability). I have even "binged" it on several occasions, staying up well into 3 days continually eating more to keep the trip going. Outside of LSD, I have been a near-daily cannabis user, as well as a few years of nightly alcohol use which I succeeded in stopping with the assistance of mescaline, which has become my favorite psychedelic even beyond LSD.

All of these psychedelic experiences have been immensely positive. I have had exactly 2 bad trips in my life, and both were on mushrooms, and both were early on when I was quite inexperienced. I have become familiar enough with LSD that I have been able to take it and function normally - I have worked, hung out with friends, gone to parties/clubs, and have never once had an issue. Friends have remarked on how I seem to be able to "keep my cool" even under large doses (the most I have ever taken is 8 hits at once, although I have taken more throughout the binge days.) I have sometimes used LSD to enhance my creativity (I'm a jazz keyboardist and also an electronic music producer), but have mostly used LSD for pure recreation.

I don't have any pressing physical health problems, and I don't think I have any issues mentally, but do you think I should get evaluated in any way? I've never mentioned to a doctor anything about my LSD use, so I don't think I have had any tests that would specifically focus on that. I realize asking for health advice on a drug forum is a bit daft, but I'd like to get your opinion all the same. I've been dating my current GF for over a year, and she has been worried that the LSD use will cause some long-term issues. Like I said, I have not noticed any so far.

Thanks! (y)

Don't sweat it man, there's never been any research to suggest that LSD damages any part of the body at all, in fact psychedelics (including LSD) can have neuroprotective effects. I've been tripping for 18 years at least as much as you (more at some points) and I'm fine. There is a ton of research that's been done on LSD, most of it before psychedelic prohibition. I know of no case studies where regular LSD exposure over the long-term has caused any health problems, other than its use triggering latent mental conditions or anxiety disorders.

I'm also a keyboardist, hey. :)

I have been using LSD my entire adult life i do feel a bit disjointed after sometime trips but i take time to ground myself and breaks if i truly feel like i need to ground myself in reality more. LSD is one of the least physically harmful substances in the entire universe. I dont feel completely connected to the normal time and space but im grounded in my underlying core being. Im very senestive to everything and my synesthesia i have always had since i was small kid is very strong and music and medidation staring off a white wall will induce flowing geometric patterns and colours similar to lsd. some of the hardcore trippers of the 60s and 70s have claimed it took them a 10 year break to finally feel grounded in the physical world and not still slightly off in those other time space dimensions

The fact that you’re aware enough to ask this is a sign that you’re probably very grounded. And this sounds as though it may have been initiated by the GF, or do you share her concern? Really, unless you’ve already got an existing, known or unknown mental health condition, the research shows potential for neurogenesis, not damage.

But if you feel weird, take a year off. Being straight for a time is a helluva trip in itself.
I started at 14 with two hits of white insanity, unbeknownst.
Got to holding sheets, and eating it like candy, just like you.

But a good break, and life/work/projects getting in the mix led to a long 10 year hiatus.
So many times during that break, I’d mine my memory for trips and be able to enjoy them again - for moments.
Pretty tasty secret, trip at will (kinda, you know what I mean).

Now we’re in the golden age of lysergamides, so just check yourself. A doctor, depending on their views, may even try to drug you up with some anti-depressants.??‍?

My approach is to learn the way of the microdose. It is revealing far more than any of my ego-death trips, in that the integration is immediate - and cumulative. Never do I go “what was that amazing concept last night?” The music creation and work ethic enhancement have been out of control!

Then, once in a blue moon, a mega trip.
This makes subsequent micro-doses like chemical allusions, allowing an entangled recall of serious trips.
At least, this is what I’ve found after over 3 decades of Lucy in my life.

Maybe I should get checked out.?.!
Hey, man you got me trippin’!

Peace and best luck.:)

As far as I know, the only suspected longterm complication associated with frequent, longterm psychedelic use *might* be valvular heart disease. That said, you'll be happy to hear that there is very little empirical (anecdotal) evidence of that occurring with LSD. Even with drug combos known to cause it (fen phen,) only a percentage of users appeared to be vulnerable to it. If you're not having heart problems, then I don't see any cause for concern unless you feel as though your drug use is negatively impacting your quality of life.

Ive been using it (among other things) since I was 16 and Ive been using for 20 years. All of my physicals,bloodwork,etc come out fine and I have/maintain the things in life that "normal and responsible" people have. Whether you do drugs or not you should be getting a physical exam once a year, try to be active, eat healthy,etc. Thirty is where you start noticing odd things happening regardless.

Thanks all for the responses and kind words! ?

To answer a couple of your individual points, yes this was primarily a concern of the GF. I had done pretty sufficient research long ago on the long term effects, and was confident that the safety profile was adequate. If anything I am more concerned about the daily inhalation of cannabis smoke; I've been investigating alternative ingestion methods recently, and will probably go with a liquid tincture of cannabis once I've perfected the technique.

Interesting point about the heart disease, I hadn't seen references to that. Will keep an eye out.

Get your eyes checked out thoroughly.

Why do you say this?

It may be a serious, or joking reply, based on a recent thread discussing an article about a study on lsd and cell damage in the eye. To be ignored, largely; the study was only in vitro (test tube), and not done on patients. It indicates some potential for harm, if you stick thumbprint dosages of crystal in your eyes.

I read it, freaked out, posted the thread, and got quickly schooled on some of the more salient points of the study. So, another reason to lurk on bluelight : we learn from each other. Glad we have some chemists and pharmacologists as members!

If anything lsd has given me beyond normal human eyesight. its acutally improved it. On a trip you gave super senses i can easily see the smallest of things in a forest

He was jokingly suggesting it to the original poster.

I feel like if you disclosed that you are using LSD that frequently that it would bias a lot of doctors to find problems where there are in fact none. So if you did get "checked out" I'd probably withhold that info. You sound really functional and healthy, so I don't see why you need to get checked out personally, but it couldn't hurt - even if you weren't using LSD.

I agree with what @Pfafffed said, the only possible concern that's on my radar is valvular heart disease, so I'd be curious to hear how your heart is if you get that checked out. Aside from that, it sounds like you'd know if you had mental instability or dissociation type stuff going on.

To me, you seem like a testament to how damn healthy and safe LSD is. Please report back if you do get any medical investigations, let us know how it goes either way.

I am in my fifties, started tripping at 18 (yes, back in the 80's), tripped multiple times a week hundreds of times, took a break for almost 10 years to go to undergrad and grad school, and I've been working at the same place (a hospital) for 25 years. I still trip once or twice a month, don't have any major health issues, and never felt as though all that tripping damaged me in any way I can notice. Also, I go to the doctor x2 a year due to a crummy family history, but I always get a clean bill of health, and my blood work is always good. So being someone who has consumed too many sheets of LSD to count over the years, aside from all the other drugs I've done, I can tell you that at least in my case, I feel pretty damn good for being my age. Oh, and I've probably consumed mushrooms in high doses maybe between 100 and 150 times. I lost count a long ass time ago.

you'll be just fine dude, hahaha.
go to the doctor if you feel like it tho.
you know, peace of mind and all that jazz.